Menu

WWYD - update - the lady is back!!!!

SereneHome

8 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

My trash guy is just a guy. Not a team, just a guy driving a truck and picking up bags and throwing them in the back.

Exactly.  Ours was a one man operation. He drove the truck and he got out and put the  bags in the back of the truck.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

If the garbage collector has to pull the bags out by hand, I suppose that's gross. 

But in my unpopular opinion, I would be happy to let a person use my garbage can so they don't have to carry a steaming bag of sh!t around for the duration of their walk.

Well, they're walking the dog, they know the dog is gonna go, it's hardly a surprise. People usually have a bag or hip pack or whatever. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, katilac said:

Well, they're walking the dog, they know the dog is gonna go, it's hardly a surprise. People usually have a bag or hip pack or whatever. 

I know. My own dogs' walks seem to trigger their bowels. I am guilty of bagging it and putting it in the next convenient garbage can. The thought of carrying it around for another mile is kinda gross.  Our city waste management is different than the OP, and the cans are dumped by trucks. But it never occurred to me that anyone would be bothered by it. It certainly would not even cross my mind to be upset if I saw someone use my can for that reason.

Edited by DesertBlossom

4 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

I know. My own dogs' walks seem to trigger their bowels. I am guilty of bagging it and putting it in the next convenient garbage can. The thought of carrying it around for another mile is kinda gross.  Our city waste management is different than the OP, and the cans are dumped by trucks. But it never occurred to me that anyone would be bothered by it. It certainly would not even cross my mind to be upset if I saw someone use my can for that reason.

Even if you had to fish it out from the bottom of a huge garbage can? I am 5'1 and the can is about as high as my ribs

2 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Even if you had to fish it out from the bottom of a huge garbage can? I am 5'1 and the can is about as high as my ribs

I suppose in that instance, yes. But I am confused about why you have to fish it out at all? The garbage guy won't? What the policy on the kinds of things that can go in the can? Does it all have to be in large bags?

Edited by DesertBlossom

Just now, DesertBlossom said:

I suppose in that instance, yes. But I am confused about why you have to fish it out at all? The garbage guy won't?

Well, I am not a fan of it sitting there until next Wed and I am not so sure that the garbage guy will be fishing it out either. He grabs our large bags out, he might not even see the little one in there.

1 minute ago, SereneHome said:

Well, I am not a fan of it sitting there until next Wed and I am not so sure that the garbage guy will be fishing it out either. He grabs our large bags out, he might not even see the little one in there.

How often do people put dog crap in your garbage? Is this a regular thing? 

26 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

I suppose in that instance, yes. But I am confused about why you have to fish it out at all? The garbage guy won't? What the policy on the kinds of things that can go in the can? Does it all have to be in large bags?

We don't have a policy of large bags, but small bags or items often stay in the can. I guess they're too light? So even if you don't mind letting it sit for a week, there's a good chance it will still be in your can after the next trash day. 

21 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

How often do people put dog crap in your garbage? Is this a regular thing? 

You just said you do it yourself when you walk your dog - do you try and make sure to not use the same trash can each time? Do dogs tend to poop in the same place? I'm the crazy cat lady, I have no idea. 

My guess is that she doesn't want it to become a regular thing. 

Edited by katilac

1 minute ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Personally, I would be thrilled they picked it up instead of leaving it for the unsuspecting person to step in it. 

Ok, so this is not directed at you bc this sentiment has been expressed before - but why do we have such low standards for people's behaviour? 

It really shouldn't be either  / or. You walk your dog, he poops, you pick it up and don't leave it on someone else's property (which has also been done - I had a poop bag on my front lawn over the weekend) and you don't use someone else's trash can.

Anywhooooo, I am not going to loose sleep over this one time - but I guess we'll see if this ever happens.

BTW, I REALLY would like to know what was going through this lady's head bc my kid actually saw her do it - so I don't think she was hiding it or anything....obviously, she thought it wasn't a big deal.

People are very interesting creatures. I should have majored in psychology....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SereneHome said:

Ok, so this is not directed at you bc this sentiment has been expressed before - but why do we have such low standards for people's behaviour? 

It really shouldn't be either  / or. You walk your dog, he poops, you pick it up and don't leave it on someone else's property (which has also been done - I had a poop bag on my front lawn over the weekend) and you don't use someone else's trash can.

Agreed. I think the responses are probably split between those who live in areas where it's still somewhat common to leave dog poop just out there for the world to see and step in, and those who don't. If you live where dog owners have long been expected to be fully responsible for their dog's poop, then it's pretty annoying to have them chuck it in your trash can. If you live where it's still just left out there fairly often, then you're pretty glad they at least bag it up! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, katilac said:

We don't have a policy of large bags, but small bags or items often stay in the can. I guess they're too light? So even if you don't mind letting it sit for a week, there's a good chance it will still be in your can after the next trash day. 

You just said you do it yourself when you walk your dog - do you try and make sure to not use the same trash can each time? Do dogs tend to poop in the same place? I'm the crazy cat lady, I have no idea. 

My guess is that she doesn't want it to become a regular thing. 

So, I am really bad at walking my dog. I'd rather get his energy out with fetch. It's only happened a few times and I live in a neighborhood with lot of houses so I never used the same can twice. Though twice I have forgotten to bring bags (maybe before realizing he pooped on walks) and went back to pick it up. So I'm not actually trying to be the neighborhood menace with my dog poop.

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

Agreed. I think the responses are probably split between those who live in areas where it's still somewhat common to leave dog poop just out there for the world to see and step in, and those who don't. If you live where dog owners have long been expected to be fully responsible for their dog's poop, then it's pretty annoying to have them chuck it in your trash can. If you live where it's still just left out there fairly often, then you're pretty glad they at least bag it up! 

From my perspective, I'm honestly happy to lend my garbage can so they don't have to keep carrying it. But I also realize my perspective is different because our garbage cans are dumped by trucks. It just doesn't seem like anything to get worked up over. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

I just can't get over the fact that the dog poop is going to get completely smushed by the normal trash bags and quite possibly split open.  Even if there were other trash bags in there, it could catch on something and break open, or get smushed between two large objects....this is beyond gross.  I don't even throw my own dog's poop away like that...

As someone who lives in a tight urban neighborhood where this happens all the time, this is not uncommon.   Then I have to hose out my stinky trash can.  Bring  your dog poop to your own trash thanks. Â đŸ™„

• Like 3

We have three dogs totaling almost three hundred pounds. There are at least six large piles picked up daily in plastic grocery bags and dumped into our trash can. Trash is just plain stinky, dog poo or no dog poo.  I, personally, wouldn't be upset about someone else using my empty trash can so they didn't have to carry the bag for the rest of the walk, but we have a mechanical handle on the truck that dumps the bins and are able to put our bins in a spot on the other side of the house away from the patio and we have dogs.  I carry my dogs' poo bags and put them in my trash so I don't tick people off. Maybe a sign with NO POO, PLEASE would be helpful. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SKL said:

Isn't garbage stinky anyway?  I mean I've had stinkier stuff than dog crap in mine ....

Her can was just emptied, there was no garbage to be stinky. I can say that our trash can is very rarely stinky - if garbage is properly bagged, it shouldn't be too stinky and the trash can shouldn't be either. If we have something to throw out that's really going to smell in the heat, like shrimp peelings or fish, we freeze it until trash day. We don't need anyone messing up our OCD routine with dog poop in a thin bag, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, SKL said:

I've had stinkier stuff than dog crap in mine ....

I am simultaneously repelled and morbidly curiousÂ đŸ˜‚

The only thing I can think of that routinely goes in most people's garbage and might smell worse than dog poop is leftover food that might start to stink in the heat. There are ways to minimize that, if you're picky (and we are, but nothing wrong if you're not). Or dirty diapers, but that doesn't apply to you. 

I mean, what else? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, katilac said:

The only thing I can think of that routinely goes in most people's garbage and might smell worse than dog poop is leftover food that might start to stink in the heat. There are ways to minimize that, if you're picky (and we are, but nothing wrong if you're not). Or dirty diapers, but that doesn't apply to you. 

I mean, what else? 

I know you're not asking me... but we occasionally find dead birds or dead rats that need to be disposed of. Occasionally a chicken dies. It's always a blessing when an untimely death happens right before trash day, but there is no way I'd be putting any of the aforementioned things in the freezer to wait. 

And we also have poopy diapers and our dog poop from 2 dogs. 

You never ever breathe in while opening the garbage lid.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, katilac said:

I mean, what else? 

Crab shells.  
OMGosh.

My mom used to freeze them until the morning of garbage day so they would not get so ripe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

I know you're not asking me... but we occasionally find dead birds or dead rats that need to be disposed of. Occasionally a chicken dies. It's always a blessing when an untimely death happens right before trash day, but there is no way I'd be putting any of the aforementioned things in the freezer to wait. 

And we also have poopy diapers and our dog poop from 2 dogs. 

You never ever breathe in while opening the garbage lid.

*mentally scraps the idea of ever having chickens* 

One of our once-feral cats occasionally kills and decapitates a squirrel and then brings the lovely treasure to us. I don't actually have any idea how dh handled it, but I'm pretty sure he didn't put them in the freezerÂ đŸ˜‚Â it's possible he wrapped them in 972 grocery bags before putting them in the trash can. 

So I think we could draw a graph relating the usual stinkiness of one's trash can to one's willingness to let the neighbors throw dog poop in it . . . 

• Like 2

You guys are making me laugh.

Smell or no smell, I think dumping your trash (whatever it is) in someone else's garbage is rude. Dumping your dog's poop is just.....I can't even find the word. But I was curious if my perspective on this was completely off bc sometimes we just don't see the other side.

• Like 4

I used to take mine home if there wasn’t a dog park bin available.  I think it’s kind of rude because it’s quite smelly.  I also never put nappies in someone else’s bin.  

but ya Know.  We’ve had someone put two entire chicken feed bags left from a party full of rubbish on top of ours . And then council didn’t empty it because you are t meant to pile stuff on top.

I'm not a dog owner.
Our sanitation workers drive modern trucks that use a mechanical arm to flip the can upside down.
I would never throw my dog's poo in someone else's can if I had a dog.

It wouldn't bother me much if someone threw bagged poo in my empty on occasion. I throw raw meat packaging into my can on an almost daily basis and those stink too and can stick to the bottom of the can. We don't have set up for a garbage disposal in our kitchen sink, so many things that went down the garbage disposal in other houses we owned get bagged in plastic packaging and put in my trash can with the potential to rot, stink, and break open. It's not been an issue so far in the 2 years we've lived here.

• Like 1

I think it's rude and inconsiderate to throw the bag in some else's trash can.

My dog, my problem, it goes in my trash can unless I'm at the park where there are cans where it is expected (due to signage about picking up your dog's mess) that people will toss the tied bags.

Around here, many people keep trash cans in the garage. I don't (because dog poop). But I'd be REALLY irritated if I had to put up with odors from someone else's dog just because the people were too lazy to take the bag home. And it DOES stink. Bagged or not.

• Like 3

My trash cans when brought up do not sit outside, they sit in my attached garage. Stinky garbage has real potential to me unhappy. And my trash men dump them by hand (we do not rent the kind that can be machined). I would be VERY annoyed if someone put their dog poop in my freshly emptied trash cans. 

But ... my elderly neighbor lets her small dog out and sometimes if it poops in my yard I do throw it (bagged) into her trash can (which IS stored outdoors and is the kind which is machine emptied). But it's her dog and her can. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SereneHome said:

Anywhooooo, I am not going to loose sleep over this one time - but I guess we'll see if this ever happens.

BTW, I REALLY would like to know what was going through this lady's head bc my kid actually saw her do it - so I don't think she was hiding it or anything....obviously, she thought it wasn't a big deal.

People are very interesting creatures. I should have majored in psychology....

For some, I think really don’t think about having to pick it up.  Like it never has occurred to them.  Or the parents who have their kids walk the dog and junior doesn’t think to grab a bag.  

It would bother me.  We are not allowed to use cans here.....just bags left out.  They will just leave your garbage if it is in a can because we don't have the mechanical can lifters on our trucks and they, understandably, don't want workers having to lift heavy bags out of cans.  And almost no one picks up after their dogs so there is that too.....

BUT, if we did have cans out on garbage day, this would bug me.  It takes us about 6 weeks to fill a garbage bag.  That bag is in a can that is stored on our enclosed front porch until it is full, then we remove the bag, tie it up, and haul it to the curb.  If there was poo in that can, it would be sitting at the bottom of it for 6 weeks unless I removed it.....which I would because I would not want my porch to stink like poo for 6 weeks.

I wouldn't be mad, because we have several pets and with scooping out cat litter, our garbage bin has never smelled pristine. I never expected my garbage to smell very good and I certainly don't consider my garbage bin to be a sanitary environment. And someone's little bag of dog poop wouldn't take up much space. 

It DID make me mad when I first moved in and someone else on the block dumped a whole bunch of lawn clippings in my garbage. I needed that space! Ever since then I stopped leaving my garbage bin at the curb. 

1 minute ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

I wouldn't be mad, because we have several pets and with scooping out cat litter, our garbage bin has never smelled pristine. I never expected my garbage to smell very good and I certainly don't consider my garbage bin to be a sanitary environment. And someone's little bag of dog poop wouldn't take up much space. 

It DID make me mad when I first moved in and someone else on the block dumped a whole bunch of lawn clippings in my garbage. I needed that space! Ever since then I stopped leaving my garbage bin at the curb. 

The biggest problem for the OP is that there is not an automatic trash truck that dumps the can upside down.  Someone has to reach into the trash can and pull out the bags and a small bag at the bottom of an empty trash can will not be taken out by hand most likely.

Well, my husband got it out of the garbage can and put it on the curb. Someone moved it to our lawn within the last hour. Now I have two dog poop bags on my lawn and I don't have a dog! I am buying a sign. Evidently Amazon has a very large variety

ETA: I live in a cul-de-sac kind of neighborhood, so whoever is walking around here lives within 5 minutes of my house and if they  can't seem to be bothered to carry their own dog's poop to their own house, they are not being very good neighbors.

Edited by SereneHome
  • Confused 2

As with so many things, there's a difference between what we're OK with in our own households vs. what we decide other people should be OK with in theirs. That's my line. If the person who left that "gift" in the trash doesn't mind if others do it to her, that's great. It doesn't mean it's OK to assume that others are equally happy with it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Alright, seriously, how are y’all bagging your trash??! Because I’ve got 6 cats worth of litter, 100-lb dog worth of poo and dead chickens on occasion and I’ve never had to hold my breath when opening my lid.  You wouldn’t mistake my trash bin area for a flowery meadow in heaven, but you could park a chair and table beside it and have  a pleasant lunch.

Standard kitchen garbage bags. But we're also blessed with 104 or higher heat at times. It's usually not bad until you open the can. (It can be deadly then.) I still wouldn't want to eat lunch next to it, though.

4 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Well, my husband got it out of the garbage can and put it on the curb. Someone moved it to our lawn within the last hour. Now I have two dog poop bags on my lawn and I don't have a dog! I am buying a sign. Evidently Amazon has a very large variety

I don't blame you. DH has been known to confront people who don't clean up after their pets. But he's taught DS to clean up meticulously after ours. I've been surprised at how many people thank the kid for cleaning up.

2 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Alright, seriously, how are y’all bagging your trash??! Because I’ve got 6 cats worth of litter, 100-lb dog worth of poo and dead chickens on occasion and I’ve never had to hold my breath when opening my lid.  You wouldn’t mistake my trash bin area for a flowery meadow in heaven, but you could park a chair and table beside it and have  a pleasant lunch.

To me it wasn't about smell actually. When all three of my kids were in diapers at the same time our garbage pick up was every other week and I still think it didn't smell unless you stick your head in the can.

But I think it's rude and obnoxious to be throwing your garbage on other people's lawn or their garbage can bc you can't be bothered to walk 5 min to your own house

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Dh doesn't like trash cans in the closed garage.  I don't like my trash cans visible from the street and I also don't like walking outside to put trash in the cans. My cat litter box is in the garage too.  Our compromise has been that he keeps a midsize can in the garage with a big construction bag in it.  What I scoop out of litter  box goes in WM bags and then I toss it in the construction bag.  And anytime I take the trash out I put in this construction bag.  Several times a week he takes the bags from the construction bag and takes to the trash can outside. So it is never smelly in our garage.

18 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

ETA: I live in a cul-de-sac kind of neighborhood, so whoever is walking around here lives within 5 minutes of my house and if they  can't seem to be bothered to carry their own dog's poop to their own house, they are not being very good neighbors.

Do you have a neighborhood Facebook page?  If so, you could post a picture of the bags and remind neighbors to take their bags with them.

• Like 3

Gosh how times have changed.  I am honestly surprised at how many people consider this a thing to be annoyed about or take action against.  (Yes I just broke the grammar rules - something that is a much bigger crime IMO!)

Wasn't that long ago nobody brought bags to pick up dog crap.  You hoped they crapped in your own yard, but if they didn't, oops, oh well, sorry.

Now what does annoy me is people who leave their full dog poo bags all over the path in the national park.  That's not how it works, stupid people.  đŸ˜•

Now people poo (aka diapers) - I never allowed that in my trash.  I flushed the poo down the toilet before wrapping the diaper and putting it in the bin in the garage. 

As for what trash smells worse than a little dog poo - I think the worst here tends to be scraps from salad or fruit prep, after a couple days.  Whew!  We don't use a lot of meat in cooking, but that can reek too.

And we won't discuss the raccoon that died in my bin last year ....

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

Gosh how times have changed.  I am honestly surprised at how many people consider this a thing to be annoyed about or take action against.  (Yes I just broke the grammar rules - something that is a much bigger crime IMO!)

Wasn't that long ago nobody brought bags to pick up dog crap.  You hoped they crapped in your own yard, but if they didn't, oops, oh well, sorry.

Now what does annoy me is people who leave their full dog poo bags all over the path in the national park.  That's not how it works, stupid people.  đŸ˜•

Times have changed.  I too remember the days that picking up dog poo was unheard of.  And even when I lived in the country no one cared about dog poo.  But people care about it in town and so we need to pick it up....and putting it in someone else's trash can....I can't even imagine.

• Like 1

And this is probably the biggest reason I don't want a dog. 

Am I the only person who thinks about the environmental impact of wrapping every dog turd in a plastic bag?

Not saying I want it on my lawn, but used to be you'd train your dog to poo in a specific part of your yard and then clean it up periodically.  Of course dogs aren't 100% compliant, but heck, I have deer poo all over the place and I can't do or say anything about that.  đŸ˜›

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, school17777 said:

Do you have a neighborhood Facebook page?  If so, you could post a picture of the bags and remind neighbors to take their bags with them.

I don't think so. We have a town page, but I didn't think I should be posting on there, I wouldn't even know how to word it....

5 minutes ago, SKL said:

This must depend on where you live, because picking up after your dog has been expected here for at least 30+ years. I can remember picking up after my dog when I was a teenager. Of course, there have always been and will always be gross and inconsiderate people who don't do so.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DesertBlossom said:

If the garbage collector has to pull the bags out by hand, I suppose that's gross. 

But in my unpopular opinion, I would be happy to let a person use my garbage can so they don't have to carry a steaming bag of sh!t around for the duration of their walk.

That's how I feel.  When we lived in our home (moved last summer), our trash can was out day and night in the back alley (everyone's was), so anyone passing by could put something in it at anytime, which did happen from time to time, probably every week.  As long as it was small, it was really no big deal.  But I'd guess that most people felt like that in our neighborhood...  We all paid for the same service run by the city, and the containers belonged to the city too...  But, our trucks did have those automatic lifters that picked the containers up and flipped them upside-down.  

I haven't read any other replies, and don't know if this thread has changed directions a zillion times since the OP. But answering that -- Yes, that would make me mad. And I say that as the owner of two dogs. I pick up after them and carry the bags with me until we get back home, and I expect others to do the same. I don't even toss individual poop bags into our own trash bin--I have a lidded container lined with a grocery/shopping bag. The poop bags go in there until trash day, then I securely knot the plastic grocery/shopping bag and the entire thing goes into the trash bin.

• Like 2