Menu

Books!? Are you waiting for the library to open or buying?

PrincessMommy

First off, I'm not a Kindle person.  I've tried with several books but I do not like it.  Besides, several the books I'm eyeing are gardening books.  I much prefer to preview those types of books before I actually buy one.  But, who knows how long the library will be shut down and the growing season is upon us.    None of the books I'm interested in are found cheap... I think all the used book sellers have raised their prices. 

I've bought a few fun books already but I just don't want to break the bank on all these books I'm looking at.

WWYD???

2 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

For reference type books (like a how to garden) I do like to buy them.  Right now, if I could afford it, I would try to buy from a local independent book store if possible.

I like to buy them too - if I know I'm going to use them.  I like to borrow a bunch from the library and pick the 1 or 2 that I'll use.  So, I'm wondering if I should splurge on 3-5 books I'm eyeing or just wait it out.   

They all have good reviews, but the last gardening book I bought without seeing first was a complete dud (it had great reviews but was not what I thought it was).

Our library still allows checkouts, you just can't go in and peruse the shelves at your leisure. They started "no contact check outs". You can request the books online and then designate a pick up time. Call and let them know you are there and they come out and leave your books on a table for you to pick up after the librarian goes back inside. You can return books to the outdoor book drop or you can choose to hang on to them until the library reopens. All fines are suspended until 2 weeks after they reopen. It might be worth seeing if the library is completely closed or if they are doing a different type of check out procedure.

• Like 6

I broke my three year "no spend" reading challenge two weeks ago and bought 5 Terry Pratchett books on Ebay. I was hoping the library would offer some sort of pick up service but nothing of the sort has been advertised and I wanted to continue reading about the Discworld. 

Are the books you're interested in newly published? Can you find them used?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Our library still allows checkouts, you just can't go in and peruse the shelves at your leisure. They started "no contact check outs". You can request the books online and then designate a pick up time. Call and let them know you are there and they come out and leave your books on a table for you to pick up after the librarian goes back inside. You can return books to the outdoor book drop or you can choose to hang on to them until the library reopens. All fines are suspended until 2 weeks after they reopen. It might be worth seeing if the library is completely closed or if they are doing a different type of check out procedure.

You have no idea how lucky you are to have this opportunity.

• Like 8

That's a hard question.  I prefer to  use "real" (as opposed to ebooks) gardening and cooking books. 

But, I don't like to spend money on books without having a good idea I'm going to like them.  So I will check them out from the library first in whatever form is available.   I know you don't like using a kindle but would it work for you for borrowing/previewing purposes?  Then you could buy with confidence, or reject the book and move on.

On the other hand... I am so desperate for something new right now I might just spend the money, unless it's an unreasonable splurge. 

Mostly I am a library user, and for most books can switch between ebook and physical books. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I broke my three year "no spend" reading challenge two weeks ago and bought 5 Terry Pratchett books on Ebay. I was hoping the library would offer some sort of pick up service but nothing of the sort has been advertised and I wanted to continue reading about the Discworld. 

Are the books you're interested in newly published? Can you find them used?

Some of them are used but the prices are not much better than new.   like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-No-Mow-Yards-Amazing-Alternatives/dp/1604692383/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I was also hoping libraries would do some kind of no contact pick up but there has been nothing.  Non-essential gov't is closed and that's that.  

3 minutes ago, marbel said:

That's a hard question.  I prefer to  use "real" (as opposed to ebooks) gardening and cooking books. 

But, I don't like to spend money on books without having a good idea I'm going to like them.  So I will check them out from the library first in whatever form is available.   I know you don't like using a kindle but would it work for you for borrowing/previewing purposes?  Then you could buy with confidence, or reject the book and move on.

On the other hand... I am so desperate for something new right now I might just spend the money, unless it's an unreasonable splurge. 

Mostly I am a library user, and for most books can switch between ebook and physical books. 

That's a good idea.  I might try that for one or two and see how well it goes.   Thanks.

11 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I like to borrow a bunch from the library and pick the 1 or 2 that I'll use.  So, I'm wondering if I should splurge on 3-5 books I'm eyeing or just wait it out. 

Well see if they have gardening periodicals online or ebooks you could use. Also check the amazon samples. You can search the samples in the preview feature and might be able to see the chapters you want.

I suspect libraries will reopen in 2 weeks around here. I don't have data or secret knowledge, just saying it makes sense that it would happen when other businesses of that category begin to open. So if it can wait two weeks, that also gives you options. 

• Like 1

Both. I've bought a handful of books for the kids and one for myself. Like OP, I much prefer an actual book to an ebook. However, I have been reading some ebooks during this time. 

I am very grateful that our library is putting in place a system that will allow us to request books and do curbside pickups. That will hopefully start by mid-May.

• Like 1

I have a document titled "When Quarantine Lifts," and the first item is lists of books I want from two separate library systems, so I can run with it the first day libraries open. I'm assuming we could have repeated openings and closures, so I'll be returning and checking out dozens of books the first day possible. 

Until then, I'm reading what I have and buying just a few e-books and books from a local bookseller.

My governor (WA) does not appear to be opening anything any time soon, and the libraries have been closed since mid-March.  The Libby Overdrive library for my county is decent, so we've been using it and just reading borrowed books on Kindle.  Do you have an ebook program in your library?  You could preview and then make a decision to purchase or not?  My plan for the fall semester is to use the library ebooks and scrounge to buy all other books that I need the kids to have.  I *love* real books, but right now, I am going online for nonfiction things and getting ebooks for fiction.  Is there anything helpful online for gardening? (I have a brown thumb, so I don't know!)

• Like 2

Agreeing...see if you can borrow any of these through the library as ebooks to preview them.  

Also, if you have a local used bookstore, some are open and will tell you if they have the book or something similar.

Another option is to post of your local FB page that you are looking for local gardening books.  You might surprised at what people will give away/sell cheap now since they can't donate it.

• Like 1

ARghhhhhhhh, this is so hard. I keep putting in and taking out items from my cart on bookoutlet.com. This was going to be a year for no buying new books and I am not even reading right now (whole other story....) but I am soooo tempted by so many books. I don't do kindle either.

I know I am no help, but very much sympathize!!

• Like 1

I have been buying lots of books for my daughter on eBay. Some sellers offer "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" and free shipping and those are my favorite shops.

Better World Books also has good prices and free shipping. Often they have % off sales, but right now it looks like only their clearance books are on sale. (ETA: BBW books on eBay are 20% off 3+ right now.)

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

If you don't need specific gardening books, I was going to suggest asking friends too.  Maybe it will catch on ~  some kind of book lending among friends.  We're doing that with jigsaw puzzles right now.

Our libraries have decided to remain open as well.  You "borrow" them online, and  they collect them for you and you do a curbside pickup.  When you return them, they wait 3 days before they're re-shelved.

We have been burning up Bookfinder.com , supporting those indie booksellers in the US and UK. Middle Girl has a passel of German language learning books that just arrived, for her summer plan of intensive German. I just received a beautiful nineteenth-century Hymns, Ancient and Modern: Complete Edition -- some of the best Victorian poetry in a lovely little hand-sized binding. Can't say I've noticed any increase of used book prices, but it may depend on what you're shopping for.

Buy the gardening books! Book arrival is a bright flash in the eternal sameness of the Coronaday. 

ETA: We never use the public library, which never has the things we want; but instead the huge university library. But it's closed, as are the publics.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

You are so lucky.  Our library was closed March 16th with no notice.  I had been there on the 13th and checked out 10 books.  Wish I would have grabbed more.  I had planned to go back on the 16th to get more, because our schools closed on the 15th and I was thinking that the library might close.  But, it was closed before I had the chance to do it.  I wish they would let us check out online and come pick up.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dd16 has read something like 40 books in the almost 7 weeks we have been home, some ebooks from the library and some from my shelves. I bought a Harry Potter box set. It came today and should keep her busy through the weekend. The other kids have only been reading from my shelves. I bought about 10 books for our Tolkien study next year. I don't want the boys to read them since they will read them for school soon. I won't forbid it but we have plenty of other books. I will buy more if they want something in particular, but I will also recommend rereading favorites. I have been trying to cull books and it is slow going at this point. I like my collection. 

4 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

Some of them are used but the prices are not much better than new.   like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-No-Mow-Yards-Amazing-Alternatives/dp/1604692383/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I was also hoping libraries would do some kind of no contact pick up but there has been nothing.  Non-essential gov't is closed and that's that.  

Uh oh.  I should not have looked.  Now I want that too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use “look inside” and customer comments to help.

So far during CV19 I have bought 1 gift book (paper—a how to use cellphones for seniors for my elder person), and 1 book for myself (kindle- Raimund Von Helden about Vitamin D ), iirc.    Otherwise it seems like between Hoopla and some other services, I have enough to work through existing books on my shelves or online borrows. I prefer audio. Usually. 

I agree that gardening books tend to lend themselves to paper format, with inspirational pictures and sometimes diagrams. 

I would suggest choosing one gardening book based on what you can best gather from “look inside” and comments.  Then read it, and start making use of it.  When you have read it, and put its gardening ideas into practice, then get another book.  And so on. 

If you must get two at once such as one for beauty like the one you linked, and one for food growing, get two. 

• Like 1

We've been buying books from used book sellers. They ship via media mail rate, which will take as long as 10 days to arrive. I feel there is little risk in picking up COVID-19 from a used book that has been rattling around the USPS for that long.  

Plus, buying used books will support a small business owner and the postal service.  

• Like 2

Our library is still running some programs virtually, and sending out weekly newsletters of programming beyond our library network (streaming from the Met/London theaters/concert series/ fun indie theater groups etc.  All the audiobooks and e-books and music downloads are humming along as always, but there are no physical books changing hands.

15 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I like to buy them too - if I know I'm going to use them.  I like to borrow a bunch from the library and pick the 1 or 2 that I'll use.  So, I'm wondering if I should splurge on 3-5 books I'm eyeing or just wait it out.   

They all have good reviews, but the last gardening book I bought without seeing first was a complete dud (it had great reviews but was not what I thought it was).

I know you said you don't like reading on Kindle, but if you have Amazon prime, you can very often sample the first couple of chapters of books for free. Maybe you could take a look at several gardening books that way (you could look at them on a computer or iPad -- it's all about the pictures anyway for me when it comes to gardening books), and then make your selection?

Yeah, I'd just get them on Kindle to preview then buy the ones I like. I'm a Kindle person generally, but reference books are a nightmare on Kindle.

I know you didn't ask, but I've found a reading subscription for the kids like ReadingIQ to be very valuable right now. Usually I pick a stack of nonfiction books for them to read daily during school, but we ran out a while back since the library is closed (no pick up here). It's been nice to have the option for more kid-friendly nonfiction (and fun fiction) even though the library is closed. I also bought a bunch of literature books for them to start soon. For me, I've just kept up on my Kindle reading like normal. 🙂

• Like 1

Yes and yes.  I bought a kindle book then a hard copy of a book I've been wanting to read because cheaper than kindle and I know library won't have it or will be on hold for a while.  With Amazon's shipping record recently our library may be open before I get my book.    

• Like 1

I’m buying books.  Allllll the books.  😊

I am thinking of trying kindle books for the kids again, for fiction and fun reads.  They much prefer tactile books, but it’s worth a shot.

School and reference books, though, we are just spending.  Spending, and spending.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I am glad you are interested in Permaculture!

This is a book I know—or at least the earlier edition. 

I have also met author and a lot of the other permaculture people mentioned in it.  

One possible caution is that the author had an Oregon based experience fundamentally, and growing can be very different in different eco regions.  If you are somewhere much more dry, or warm, or sunny, another Permaculture book from your own region or a similar eco region elsewhere in world may be more applicable in specific examples—though permaculture concepts will stay the same.

My favorite Permaculture books are Bill Mollison’s own — especially my much treasured Permaculture: a Designer’s Manual.  But it is over $100. 

A lot about Permaculture can also be found online these days. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

I am glad you are interested in Permaculture!

This is a book I know—or at least the earlier edition. 

I have also met author and a lot of the other permaculture people mentioned in it.  

One possible caution is that the author had an Oregon based experience fundamentally, and growing can be very different in different eco regions.  If you are somewhere much more dry, or warm, or sunny, another Permaculture book from your own region or a similar eco region elsewhere in world may be more applicable in specific examples—though permaculture concepts will stay the same.

My favorite Permaculture books are Bill Mollison’s own — especially my much treasured Permaculture: a Designer’s Manual.  But it is over $100. 

A lot about Permaculture can also be found online these days. 

I've been doing a lot of online and youtube research.  But, sometimes it's just nice to have a book in hand.  I'm oldschool. 🙂

• Like 1

We are so far behind on the books we have, ... but I did promise my daughters I would buy them each one book (they haven't told me which one yet).  I also showed my avid reader some books I have in the basement from when I was a younger adult.  She wanted to read "It" and is already in the middle of Wuthering Heights and Gone with the Wind, so she should be good for a while.