Menu

On the fence about kids socializing right now

Ginevra

Actually, that’s a mischaracterization; I’m not on the fence. I don’t want kids over. And I don’t want ds going anywhere. 

Ds, who is more extroverted than I am, wants a friend to come over. I said no. He said, well then can I go over there? I said, well...I dont want you to. 

I really just want to stay home, have zero people over, go do zero things with zero other people. To me, that is the point. I don’t want the virus hitching a ride on anyone and coming into my house. There was the first positive case in my county yesterday. I want everyone to stay out. Except the people who live here; those I want to stay in. 

I am wondering what others are choosing for their families. 

• Like 6

We were still doing regular activities up to yesterday (Friday).  However, things here didn’t start closing until Thursday, and at that point it was mainly the universities.  Now that we have several cases in the state, including the next county over, everything is closed or canceled.  I don’t think we will be getting together with friends for a while.  The only person I’ve invited here is my mom because she lives alone several hours away, so I can’t easily help her if she gets sick.  

• Like 1

We accept that we will probably get it - most likely we have already been exposed.  Therefore we are going to places when there are no vulnerable folks, or folks have themselves made the decision to take the risk.

Staying home would be bad for our health and probably make the illness worse when we inevitably catch it.

Being away from friends for a week would be OK.  But for at least 3.5 weeks, not really.  So to the extent other intelligent parents are OK with it (presumably they have assessed their family's risk as low), we plan to get the kids together some.

• Like 3

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/social-distancing-this-is-not-a-snow-day-ac21d7fa78b4

Social distancing measures only work if people actually follow them.  Keep him home and don’t feel bad about it for a minute!

No kid playdates, parties, sleepovers, or families/friends visiting each other’s houses and apartments.

This sounds extreme because it is. We are trying to create distance between family units and between individuals. It may be particularly uncomfortable for families with small children, kids with differential abilities or challenges, and for kids who simply love to play with their friends. But even if you choose only one friend to have over, you are creating new links and possibilities for the type of transmission that all of our school/work/public event closures are trying to prevent. The symptoms of coronavirus take four to five days to manifest themselves. Someone who comes over looking well can transmit the virus. Sharing food is particularly risky — I definitely do not recommend that people do so outside of their family.

We have already taken extreme social measures to address this serious disease — let’s not actively co-opt our efforts by having high levels of social interaction at people’s houses instead of at schools or workplaces. Again — the wisdom of early and aggressive social distancing is that it can flatten the curve above, give our health system a chance to not be overwhelmed, and eventually may reduce the length and need for longer periods of extreme social distancing later (see what has transpired in Italy and Wuhan). We need to all do our part during these times, even if it means some discomfort for a while.

Edited by *Jessica*
Adding quote
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

There is one neighborhood kid I'm letting mine play with.  I deem the family low risk. Another family I said no way because I consider them high risk.  Dad is posting about how it's all overblown, they are attending many unnecessary large events, and the kids do a poor job of keeping germs to themselves.  Two other families I'm on the fence about.  We are not high risk, but my mom is because she has diabetes. In addition, she provides a lot of care to two grandparents in a nursing home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The point is to flatten the curve, so hospitals are not overwhelmed and the more we are out and about period the more we help that spread. I have talked to mine. It will suck but no one will die going a few weeks without in person contact with their friends.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

AM taking all the recommended actions regarding spreading this to others, like if we were sick, we would stay in (we are not sick.)  Even before all the cancellations, we had no plans to travel, no plans to attend large events, no tickets to basketball games etc.  My kids don't have regular lessons, don't go to school.  So, our contact with the general public (and therefore, chances of spreading things to others) was already low.  Now that scouts is also on hold, we don't even have that and it was our only other regular thing....and it wasn't like we met more than once every other week anyway, plus small group.

yes but...you can’t know if you’re carrying it. That, to me, is the most insidious thing about this particular virus - the two weeks delay between infection and possibly symptoms. 

Ds went to Panera last night, to see a few friends. It’s low risk...but! We cannot be certain he didn’t get it last night and won’t know that for possibly two weeks, during which time he could infect us or other friends, even though that’s a tiny group. 

Of course, it does come from a somewhat different place if you are assuming/accepting you will all get it and that isn’t a big risk for you. I don’t feel the same; my actual goal is to not get it, and not have dh get it. I’m 48; dh is 56. (Well, actually on the edge of 49 and 57, since we both have April birthdays.) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

dudeling is an introvert, so not a problem.

parents in my school district started a FB page to communicate right now.   there are parents who are angry at other parents for allowing their teens to go out and "party" "socialize" etc.  and that now is that time to "just say no".

• Like 1

We are started isolating ourselves from everyone else on Friday.  DH works from home and will be doing all meetings via phone or Go-To-Meeting.  I don't work.  DD16 is homeschooled and her activities have all been cancelled. DD19 is home from college now.  

My daughters have been getting invites to do things with friends.  I have told them no.  I've explained why and they completely understand, although they wish it wasn't so (don't we all!!).  I've told them to blame their "mean mom" when they tell their friends why they can't do anything.  I'm fine with taking the heat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've shut down all of that type of play and socializing as of yesterday evening. Nobody over here, none of us elsewhere. (I'll make an exception if a family member or someone in our circle needs some kind of help.) 

DD15 has a boyfriend. He's within walking distance, so I've OK'd them to spend time together outdoors, in their coats and mittens, no touching or kissing... I'm not sure if that's smart, but I think it might be the only way to avoid a mutiny.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

We are started isolating ourselves from everyone else on Friday.  DH works from home and will be doing all meetings via phone or Go-To-Meeting.  I don't work.  DD16 is homeschooled and her activities have all been cancelled. DD19 is home from college now.  

My daughters have been getting invites to do things with friends.  I have told them no.  I've explained why and they completely understand, although they wish it wasn't so (don't we all!!).  I've told them to blame their "mean mom" when they tell their friends why they can't do anything.  I'm fine with taking the heat.

My ds is not being understanding, so that is one issue. So I really am the mean mom, because he thinks it’s unecessary. 

• Sad 2

Remind especially your older kids that they can visit virtually.  My dd is organizing virtual meetings with the older girls in her AHG troop.  She has a group friends she chats with once or twice a week because they don’t live near each other.  You can keep in touch without being in the same room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We’re not getting together with people.  It stinks, but we have an elder living with us.  I’m immune compromised, DH and kids are all high risk.  So we’re not coming at it from the perspective that we’re all going to get it, we will deal.  Of course, we will deal when/if we get it, but we will protect each other, and others, as long as possible.

Activities are canceled, DH is working from home.  No unnecessary outings that involve hanging out in close quarters.

We go for walks, spend time outside, kids can ride bikes, I’m fine with hiking.  

Oh, yeh, lots of group texting, google hangouts, and FaceTiming.

Kids are not thrilled.  But understand the concept of flattening the curve.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Total (irl) social isolation.

This is one tiny moment in time where one has to decide to be selfless for the greater good of society. Tell him people can literally save lives by staying home. Is having a fun time with friends worth people dying? 

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Quill said:

My ds is not being understanding, so that is one issue. So I really am the mean mom, because he thinks it’s unecessary. 

time to learn about the bubonic plague, what's going on in Italy - that france and spain are shutting down everything "non-essential".   - the guy who got a 500Euro ticket for riding his bike in Italy . . . 

and about geometric progression.

• Like 3

We started staying at home since last weekend. DH had to go to work, but his work is moving to WAH on Monday. I didn't go anywhere except just to the store for produce, milk and eggs and to get some library books to tide us over. Let's just say I made the library stop first. This article from a lab was excellent in explain why this is not a snow day and the case for social distancing.

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/social-distancing-this-is-not-a-snow-day-ac21d7fa78b4?fbclid=IwAR1R8hXG_TnDnPUb5WeMbOqzUTgvH95nwhX1UqTDOn2rYQHknZhGUU3iIZk

Edited by calbear
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, regentrude said:

As long as schools are still open, preventing kids from hanging with their friends seems pointless

Our schools are closed, which is when we started social distancing in earnest.  If schools were open, I might think differently.  I think OP’s are closed, too.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 7

We are not having indoor socializing with anyone.  Of the two families we see fairly regularly- one is the county medical director and the other family is caring for a grandfather with cancer.  We did have a church get together on Wednesday, but that was the day before the first announced case in the state and before schools were closed.  I did let my son walk over to get a pizza yesterday and bring it home and I will still walk over to Kroger, but my husband still has to go to work so it isn’t like we are able totally sealed off anyway.  The only thing that hasn’t been canceled yet is a badge day for trail life that is outside.  I expect it to be canceled, but I haven’t decided what to do if it isn’t.  It probably wouldn’t be more than 10-15 people.

8 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

I can do this for 2 weeks, but it will be REALLY REALLY hard for both me and my daughter who are extroverts and whose love language is physical touch whose outlets are choir and musical theater.  Like we are never home normally...   But if I look realistically, this may go on for  6 months... So maybe I should start another thread what makes life worth living...  I mean great we self-isolate from each other and binge watch...  We will be stopped from doing the things we love to do...  Don't hug each other.  Keep your distance...  If I look into the future, I have trouble breathing. 

This. I am very concerned about the mental health issues this creates for people who are prone to depression and for which this isolation may be more dangerous than the virus. (And yes, I know, all temporary, yadayada - but a brain that cannot recognize distorted thinking will not see this). 

• Like 5

We are doing some small social things for now.  We have 2 other low risk families we are hanging out with.  We  are mostly doing things like hikes, outdoor archery.  We will be moving to complete isolation for at least 4 weeks because of DH's job. This will be hard for us 2 of us are big extroverts.  Middle daughter is an extremely active ADHD usually doing her sports close to 20hrs a week.  This is going to hard.

15 minutes ago, regentrude said:

As long as schools are still open, preventing kids from hanging with their friends seems pointless

Schools, activities, church, everything is closed here. 

• Like 4

Dd2's friends are having a bonfire party tonight. Outdoors, around 15 people and it is cold enough that everyone is wearing gloves.

Honestly, I think it is fine. No risk factors for anyone here or in her friends' homes.

These kids have been around each other nearly every day for hours at a time for months.

Mental health for outgoing extroverted teens is important too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Well....not knowing if you are sick yet is pretty normal with any illness isn't it?  I thought most illnesses were contagious before symptoms?

Panera....well, that involves larger groups of people, right?  Panera is something I wouldn't do.  But that's not really the same thing as jumping on trampolines our taking walks in the park outside.

Do you and your DH have other risk factors like lung disease or diabetes or whatever?

Yes, but my understanding is that flu (for example) is a very short incubation period, like 2 days or 3 at the very most. So the larger window of possibly 14 days obviously means one person can distribute germs to an impressive number of people, who can distribute them in turn to an impressive number of people...and, since this is “novel”, nobody has antibodies so the entire population is susceptible. That’s why you see these exponential rates; because once one person is identified in an area, there may be hundreds or even thousands of people walking around with the virus. 

Neither I nor dh have other risk factors unless cancer survival affects my risk level. (I don’t know.) But it’s that possibility of passing it on to my parents (for example) that is very scary to me. This would be lethal to my dad or mom, no doubt about it. They both have quite fragile health and multiple risk factors. I just cancelled something involving my parents because of this. I don’t want to be a vector. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Quill said:

Schools, activities, church, everything is closed here. 

Yes, here as well.  You are, I think fairly close to us.  Everything here is canceled or closed.  I want to make this time count, so the social distancing seems important right now.  What is the point of closing and canceling everything, if we’re not going to comply?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

The thing is, I don't think anyone has ever been instructed by health officials to completely 100% self isolate unless they are actually sick.  Is that being requested?

No.  “Comply” was a poor word choice on my part.  I knew it as soon as I hit “submit reply.”    

I meant that I personally want to make the most of the time things are closed/cancelled, to see if we can slow things down in a meaningful way.  My best friend IRL will lose her mind trying to social distance, it’s not good for her, and I support her doing whatever she needs to do.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I'm 50 and have asthma, dh is 63 so we are moderate risk.  All schools, churches, activities are cancelled. I cancelled my classes (I run a homeschool science center) for at least 3 weeks.  We won't be going to the gym, dd is not going to tkd (they may cancel but haven't yet).  

We will be taking walks, hiking, homeschooling, chatting with online friends, visiting my mom.  We are all introverts so we re fine with that. Dh does have to go to work but he works for a small company and they are letting anyone who needs to watch children stay home so even smaller than usual. 

Around here we are seeing a lot of companies setting up group daycare for kids out of school, which seems to defeat the purpose. 

• Like 2

I am 60 so I guess I'm considered in the high risk category, though I have no other health issues.  I could keep myself isolated and do except for necessary trips to the grocery stores.  I have 2 kids though that work full time out of the house.  One at Aldi and the other at Menards.  Plus I watch my grandson 1 day a week.  My DIL is due to have a baby any day now, and I will be watching my other grandson while they are in the hospital. My son works in hospitals.  He is the one that makes sure isolation rooms are definitely negative pressure rooms, so there''s that too.  I can cut out all other socializing and I do, but it is not possible for me to completely isolate my family.

• Like 2

Quill, just not sure.  Honestly my kids hung out in the church longe with friends Thursday night and I made them strip and shower when they got home.  These aren’t particularly rational times at my house😉.......I so do not want to catch this and am praying to get to have a vaccine whenever it is developed.   To be real honest I just don’t want to be sick and people living with me need to respect that!  At the same time my brain says we must support our small businesses. 😂 Rant over......

I think most of our formal activities have now canceled so that may not be a road we have to keep going down.  Dh is over repairing our neighbor’s sprinkler system as I type.  My kids are bike riding on local trails right now.  I picked up a large order for my freezer from Papa Murphy’s pizza this afternoon......they are slammed with big orders right now apparently.  I live an hour from the nearest so didn’t manage this part of my planned prep before today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

I think part of the thing for me is......99% of what is closed/cancelled.....we don't do ANYWAY.  

My kids aren't in school.  We don't do co-ops.  We occasionally visit the library but haven't been since January because we don't get there as often as we should (and our overdue books are evidence of this.)  In February, we did a homeschool art class and that was like *brand new* for us.  It was 4 weeks.  We aren't in sports, we weren't planning to attend any large events etc etc.  Other than GS cancelling meetings/cookie booths (which were almost over anyway.)  I don't have anything to "make the most of the time things are cancelled" because not doing these things is SOP for us.  

And the idea that we are supposed to hole up EVEN MORE than we already do on a regular basis....Yeah, I won't lie, that's a bit crazy to me.  

There are 168 hours in a week.  Of that, night time hours where we are sleeping, getting ready for bed or getting ready for the day already eat some 80 hours.  And of those remaining 80ish, we average 60 to 75 of them home every single week.  And that I am supposed to additionally restrict the remaining 5 to 15 hours and do NOTHING.....just as we are coming out of winter where we were already stuck inside so much.....yeah, that feels like a really big ask to me.

Our schedule sounds like a lot like yours.  I’m not asking you to do/not do anything.  😊 You do what you need to do, and you will do it well, deliberately, and with thought and care for others.  That’s obvious to me.  It’s not like you are not informed.

What my family has to do, because we are caring for a frail 79 yr old, with everyone high risk ... it feels different.  I only answered Quill’s question about what my family is choosing to do.  Which is different from yours, which is different from my neighbors (hello kids on cul de sac all day everyday), which is different from my friend who must have social interaction out of the house or her anxiety ruins her life. No judgment from me.  You do you.

• Like 3

Schools are closed here starting Monday but teachers are reporting for work. DD has a previously scheduled outing with a friend on Sunday that we allowed her to keep. After that, she will be home. DH has to leave for work. I think people holding on to a two week delay in school closures are fooling themselves. Schools will likely be closed for at least 60 days.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Our schedule sounds like a lot like yours.  I’m not asking you to do/not do anything.  😊 You do what you need to do, and you will do it well, deliberately, and with thought and care for others.  That’s obvious to me.  It’s not like you are not informed.

What my family has to do, because we are caring for a frail 79 yr old, with everyone high risk ... it feels different.  I only answered Quill’s question about what my family is choosing to do.  Which is different from yours, which is different from my neighbors (hello kids on cul de sac all day everyday), which is different from my friend who must have social interaction out of the house or her anxiety ruins her life. No judgment from me.  You do you.

Yes. I’m not asking so I can lay judgment on anyone. I’m asking because I’m an anxious person under the best of circumstances and I don’t endure unknowns super well, especially when it could be life or death for someone. 

This whole situation is so weird and science-fiction-novel-worthy. I have an ominous sense of foreboding with the feeling that, any day now, we’re going to hear about a death that shocks us all into this new reality we’re living. A little like hearing that Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson were positive...I feel like it certainly seems possible that sooner or later, the news will be the death of someone we couldn’t have imagined, or possibly someone you (general you) personally know - your uncle, your brother-in-law, your dad. It’s like, when you’re looking at the maps and charts, it’s easy to just think, well, those are numbers, but - maybe it’s just my personal weirdness and sensitivity, but - every number is somebody

I’m sure people’s personalities strongly influence how they feel about this strange new reality we all have to cope with. I guess that’s why some people buy an ass-load of frozen pizzas and toilet paper - it’s how they cope with their anxiety, how they stave off some of the feelings of helplessness. I think, for me, complying to the Nth degree with recommendations is my self-sooth. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

I'm actually rather curious about this one. What does it actually take to flatten the curve? Do we have a good idea about that or are we guessing? 

I can see that South Korea is not doing lockdowns, but then they have a LOT more testing capacity than we do -- that means people mostly actually know if it's safe for them to be outside or not. But I'm genuinely curious what the epidemiologists would say is optimal given our level of information (very low.) 

I just read today that S Korea had at least one “super spreader”. Ill see if I can find the extremely great article and put it here. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/coronavirus-how-epidemics-spread-and-end/?itid=hp_no-name_vs2%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Edited by Quill

No.  The extroverts in my family are going crazy and I am probably going to bed early because I'm so tired of hearing about it.  But everyone is staying home.

We might make an exception for a REALLY GOOD, SELFLESS reason.  Like if an elderly neighbor needs help or food.  Or if Dad has to cover at work for someone who can't go to work because their kids are home from school and they have no stay at home parent.  Or if someone we know that needs rubbing alcohol to care for her child's feeding tube can't find it and needs ours.  Or if we're like one selfless mom on here and offer to take in the children of healthcare & first responder workers while this pandemic is going on so they can work without worry, but that's not likely to happen because we don't know that many people here yet.

But optional trips out to socialize are over.   We might escape the house for a drive, or to go to an empty park and hike.  But no friends.

Expanded screen time IS happening though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Here is the thing - no one is saying full quarantine. Even the ones preachign social distance understand you need to get groceries, or go to work. But they are asking for people to limit non essential contact. To avoid groups. To stay the heck home. It doesn't matter if YOU are low risk, you could get it and transmit it to someone else who then transmits it to someone else who transmits it to someone who dies. 

Hike, bike, run, play in the back yard, play in the sprinklers, build a fort out of cardboard boxes, write a novel, whatever. 

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, square_25 said:

And more from this one: 

"On Tuesday, Dr. Sandra Ciesek, director of the Institute of Medical Virology in Frankfurt, Germany, tested 24 passengers who had just flown in from Israel.

Seven of the 24 passengers tested positive for coronavirus. Four of those had no symptoms, and Ciesek was surprised to find that the viral load of the specimens from the asymptomatic patients was higher than the viral load of the specimens from the three patients who did have symptoms.

Viral load is a measure of the concentration of the virus in someone's respiratory secretions. A higher load means that someone is more likely to spread the infection to other people." 

Well, this is making me rethink having ANY playdates... 

Ok, that's the last straw. We will be staying home. I did let the kids play outside for a little bit with the neighbor kids today - after checking with the parents that the kids had no signs of illness, and after warning my kids to NOT TOUCH - no tag, no wrestling - just ride bikes or scooters or climb trees - but that's the last time. Between having to hear a parent say it is no worse than the flu and they are going to go on as usual, and then my DD saying she think she heard one of the kids sniffling, I said I had to make dinner and brought them in. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure how much I want to limit interaction. My dh would obviously have us all in the house, not seeing anyone for weeks. 

It is Spring Break for the local schools, so 2 kids are out of school for next week. My oldest goes to school in Souther Illinois. Her Spring Break was last week, but has been expanded to next week. She does have some classes meeting online next week so we have to make a 7 hour trip each way to get her books, and her fish 🐟

The kids and I all work at the same place which has no plans on closing. My youngest dd worked today. My son works 4 days next week, I work a couple days, and the youngest works a few days. The job involves working with people and taking money. A lot of people around here are going about their daily business. 

One of the owners is supposed to be on a cruise this week. I have no idea if it is cancelled. They have every intention of going.

Kelly

3 of my kids have croup right now so it has been really easy for me to say, ' no one is going anywhere anytime soon.' 

But it will be hard once that clears up and all the neighborhood kids are out playing. Today every kids they normally play with came to the door asking if they could play street hockey. So, it is clear none of the other parents are going to be isolating.

And then there is the fact dh still has to work in an office every day. There is no possibility of him working from home so he'll be bringing all the germs home anyway.

I do know we won't be going out anywhere but I haven't decided about them playing with neighborhood kids outside

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I'm not sure how much I want to limit interaction. My dh would obviously have us all in the house, not seeing anyone for weeks. 

It is Spring Break for the local schools, so 2 kids are out of school for next week. My oldest goes to school in Souther Illinois. Her Spring Break was last week, but has been expanded to next week. She does have some classes meeting online next week so we have to make a 7 hour trip each way to get her books, and her fish 🐟

The kids and I all work at the same place which has no plans on closing. My youngest dd worked today. My son works 4 days next week, I work a couple days, and the youngest works a few days. The job involves working with people and taking money. A lot of people around here are going about their daily business. 

One of the owners is supposed to be on a cruise this week. I have no idea if it is cancelled. They have every intention of going.

Kelly

Total side question, but where does she go to school in southern Illinois?  I have a friend who is a TA in music at SIU Carbondale.

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

Schools are closed here starting Monday but teachers are reporting for work. DD has a previously scheduled outing with a friend on Sunday that we allowed her to keep. After that, she will be home. DH has to leave for work. I think people holding on to a two week delay in school closures are fooling themselves. Schools will likely be closed for at least 60 days.

CDC is recommending 8 weeks. I know my students in China have been under quarantine since Jan and from the ones I talk to they do not leave at all, the talk with friends online and such but they are not leaving their house, it seems prudent to me that we follow what is working in other places- which is severely limiting contact to the necessary, coupled with increase in testing.

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

Yeah, there are some situations that are unfortunate and give us pause.  DH is immuno man, but he's in charge of his own health so I don't say anything, but one of the neighbors whose same age kids come over has a mom who works in urgent care and another sib in daycare.  No worries about the kids, but since we are sacrificing a great deal right now I sure as heck don't want us to get the virus in my backyard.  Right now with school out she has been coming over everyday dang day for like hours.  Then dd has a college suitemate with a parent  who is and ER doc.  Trying to minimize the neighbor and college is off for now so that is cleared up.  

• Like 1

I have a kid with a cardiac issue, but I don't know if it puts her at high risk. We have a telephone appointment with the cardiologist Monday where we'll hopefully nail down her risk level. I am a cancer survivor; once again, I don't know if that puts me at high risk. DH has controlled high blood pressure. DH and I are in our 40s though. 

DH is required to go into work, but he is the one of only 4 in his department who aren't allowed to work from home. He's probably going to bring it home to us as I'm having a hard time getting him to understand the new rules. "No, please don't take child to the dollar store just to get her out of the house." actually came out of my mouth today. 

My goal is to leave for medical appointments and Walmart grocery pickup. We will probably make a run to the library early next week in case it closes too (I do have my priorities!). Unfortunately, my kids' main activity has not shut down, and so I'm having to be the mean mom and say no they can't go.

Edited by beckyjo
Correct day of week - the days are already running together.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

That's kind of how I feel reading that. I was planning to have some playdates. Now I'm trying to figure out whether to tell our babysitter not to come. Her parents are 60-ish. What if we have it already and don't know it? What if we don't have it now and pick it up off some surface and don't know it tomorrow? Is it going to be my fault when her parents have to go to the ICU?? 

That’s pretty much my continuous thought process. 

• Like 2

We kept our plans for today, which included being around a large group of people. We aren't high risk, and aren't in a particularly high risk area. Our primary concern is not spreading anything, so we are self-quarantining for awhile. Dh will have to work, but he may be able to do some of it from home. The kids and I will stay home with zero contact. That will be super fun for one of my kids and rough for two of them. We have plenty of food for several weeks. Then we will see what the current state of affairs is.