Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

My dd's end of life hospice "comfort package" contained a number of meds--IIRC, 5 of them. They were all highly controlled substances.   Morphine helps with air hunger, and ativan/lorazepam reduces the anxiety that accompanies that as well. Lorazepam has been in shortage.  

If I were 75+ I'd be asking for some ativan to have on hand. Probably can't qualify for the morphine, but I'd want my supply of ativan. 

• Like 1

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

It's dailymail, which is more of a news rag that quality journalism, but they get a lot of things right is carrying these two news pieces:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8112479/Trump-tested-coronavirus-waiting-results.html  he has been tested, and they are temperature checking everyone around him

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8112063/America-braces-coronvirus-collapse-100-00-ICU-beds-10-MILLION-hospitalized.html  Andy Slavitt did post these things.  I know there is a website somewhere that is showing how we model against Italy's curve....but it looks like we are holding to it. Trying to find that link to substantiate the merit of this post.  I do know this follows the baseline curve projections I made a month ago....it'd be ugly right after spring break (for most of the US, what is spring break here)

7 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Which brings me back to the question...what gives life meaning.......  I need to get off the internet,,,, but I'm here alone with a sick kid isolated in a room.....   I am getting so anxious.

Reach out to a friend with a text. Read a comforting book.  Feed your spirtuality, whatever that may mean to you.  I believe life's meaning comes from our relationships with others. Embrace those.

Just now, Happymomof1 said:

You can call a shut-in. You can send a note to them.  You can pray privately. You can help an elderly person order groceries (you place online order for delivery to them).  You can comfort your child.  

Waves of anxiety come and go. Ride this one out and then if you find you are still struggling in general, seek help. There are a number of online mental health resources available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Yes, but I do not have a choice right now..  Even if tho it is probably "just the flu"  because a friend has it.. I cannot leave.  I mean I do not want to leave.  I don't want to infect anyone else...  But I'm wondering if this is what claustrophobia feels like...  Literally.   I haven't even survived one day yet...  How in the world can I do another month...

I’m so sorry.  Is there anything you enjoy doing that would occupy your time and mind?  I don’t mind being home and hunkered down (I’m an introvert), but my medical anxiety is through the roof.  I have started doing needle crafts again. It is helping me to focus on something else (so I don’t mess up) and making something pretty.  Something I have control over.  And...I’ve joined a few stitching FB groups and get to communicate with people all over the world about something I love doing.  Is there anything that would work for you to pass the time?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, I haven't seen a health official recommendation of zero contact at optimal for public health.

Maybe that's where the concept of not letting the perfect get in the way of good enough comes in.  

In PA, the governor’s position is “Don’t go out if you don’t have to go out.”
Because there are people who DO have to go out. Some every day. Some once a week.  It’s not zero contact. It’s as little contact as possible.

A terrible analogy, but the first that comes to mind... we don’t tell kids they only need to take precautions if they’re having a *lot of sex, we tell them to take precautions every single time, or not have sex at all, because YOU DON’T KNOW. Which person, which time.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize this was supposed to be only space for news. I thought it was simply supposed to be a discussion about the coronavirus. I can bow out.

In my county, there are almost 100 cases confirmed and still counting. I just heard through the grapevine that one of the employees of a big name company got confirmed as a positive case yesterday and their kids have been in schools, playdates etc for the last week and the entire team in his company could have been infected in the past few days. Health officials do not want people to hoard, do not want to cause panic etc. But, the only way that we can flatten the curve is by minimizing exposure of ourselves as well as of others to us. As I speak, I am geared up for this epidemic to run rampant in my county and have decided to isolate my family to the best extent possible. There is a reason that Italy and Wuhan were put under quarantine. That has to be done in order to save our elderly and the most vulnerable population. I live in Santa Clara County and might have a perspective that is way off base compared to other parts of the US. But, there were 2 deaths in my neighborhood and I attended a few of those events that the health officials said was OK to attend (less than 100 people and then revised to less than 250 people in the past few weeks) and am really unhappy about their recommendations.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, StellaM said:

How's your dd doing?

She is good. Not sick yet as far as we know. She has moved out of the dorms where she was teaching and moved into a friend’s apartment in Reims for an undetermined length of time. The town where she was teaching is so rural and tiny, she didn’t want to get stuck there pretty much alone, so I’m very glad she could go to this friend’s apartment in a bigger city. (Although the nice thing about the tiny village is, it probably has been the reason cases haven’t developed there.) 

Thank you for asking. I am so thankful for technology right now because she FaceTimed me for like an hour yesterday. Nothing like actually seeing her face to feel assured she is okay! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

I don't need a health official recommendation. It's seems clear that we're trying to reduce virus spread, and it seems equally clear that this is going to work best with as little contact between people as possible. 

Health officials may be pretty loath to suggest something that will seriously disrupt people's lives. They may also be worried about provoking a totally counterproductive panic (for example, those giant lines at the grocery store were no good at all.) However, it stands to reason that minimal contact between families is currently optimal. Especially if you're in an area that already has an outbreak. 

I'm not trying to tell you what to do :-). I'm just pushing back against the idea that we shouldn't worry about contact between people. I think those of us who can manage to see less of people should do so. Everyone should figure out what level of contact is necessary to their lives. (Like, if you're still required to show up to your job, you're obviously going to do so. If you can't get groceries delivered, you should absolutely go to the store, etc.) But yeah... I do figure it's best to minimize contact. 

By the way, if anyone has an interesting epidemiological reason that I'm off-base here, I'd love to hear it! I'm open to new ways of thinking. 

Afaik, you are completely correct. 

• Like 2

Gatherings over 100 people are banned as of midnight tonight in Contra Costa County. Things really ramped up here this week. Schools closing, library canceling programs, etc. Both local Winco's closed last night because they just couldn't keep up with the crowds. Never been so glad I am a monthly meal planner/prepper. Of course, I had to go get milk/etc this morning but Foodmax wasn't so bad at 6am (but busier than I'm used to that early). Will be refilling perishables mid week off hours from now on and going to the farmers market for produce. 

15 minutes ago, Acadie said:

In studies of two COVID-19 clusters, asymptomatic spread was greater than the spread from people who are showing symptoms. Another reason social distancing is necessary, for people who seem well.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html

Quoting to emphasize the importance of this.  

Some of the known “ superspreaders” seem to have been feeling well and completely asymptomatic during the time they were transmitting virus to others.  That certainly seems to have been case with the UK businessman who stepped forward to help bring the situation of how one could be asymptomatic and nonetheless spreading the virus.  I think it was very brave of him to step forward and let his name be known and that we need to learn from that, not ignore it. 

(There also May very well be asymptomatic or barely symptomatic children who are adding to the spread of CV19.) 

In addition, the greatest viral shedding seems often to be early in the illness when symptoms may be very mild and dismissed by host as being nothing of concern. 

The information about viral shedding being high when symptoms are mild is, iirc, somewhere in this video:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

. I live in Santa Clara County and might have a perspective that is way off base compared to other parts of the US. But, there were 2 deaths in my neighborhood and I attended a few of those events that the health officials said was OK to attend (less than 100 people and then revised to less than 250 people in the past few weeks) and am really unhappy about their recommendations.

People are upset because the county is not listing cities and our county is huge. 

Yesterday when Dr Sara Cody gave the 11:30am press conference, people commented that she looked fearful which means more bad news to come 😞

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Four months isolation for 70+?????  That is inhumane.  

It hasn't been officially ordered, but was "revealed" to a journalist named Robert Peston by an unnamed senior government official.  

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Four of those had no symptoms, and Ciesek was surprised to find that the viral load of the specimens from the asymptomatic patients was higher than the viral load of the specimens from the three patients who did have symptoms.

Yet another reason this is the perfectly engineered virus...

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

So why are we leaving schools open?? 

Because parents are apparently letting kids go out a ton when schools are closed. (And, I agree with you they need to be closed. They are still on where I am. Grrr!!)

Georgia delays presidential primary due to coronavirus pandemic

Georgia elections officials postponed the presidential primary scheduled for next week because of the coronavirus pandemic, becoming the second state forced to push back a vote in the race for the White House due to the outbreak.

The state rescheduled the presidential vote previously scheduled for March 24 until May 19, the same date as the regular primary for a U.S. Senate seat and many other offices, elections officials told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Saturday. 

Edited by Aura
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

People are upset because the county is not listing cities and our county is huge. 

Yesterday when Dr Sara Cody gave the 11:30am press conference, people commented that she looked fearful which means more bad news to come 😞

People are upset because if they had made some of the decisions that they are starting to make now on Feb 27th, the infection spread rate would be a lot lower than it is today. Stay safe. There is more bad news in our county waiting to happen.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Happymomof1 said:

My husband is probably high risk, but he and my daughter are not here.  I came back early to be with him. My daughter who did not get her flu shot this year.  ( She was 18 and though we have required it every year before, we thought she was an adult so we shouldn't force her.)  I'm actually the healthiest with no risk factors though I am mid fifties.  My husband and daughter have asthma and so we don't want to give anything to them.    I may have to try that.  I definitely shouldn't be reading the thread about people having to take morphine because they cannot breathe...  Oh my goodness.  That is HORRIBLE!!!!

@Happymomof1

I agree that you need to stop reading this.  You probably need to have a news fast as well -- at least for a few hours.  Check out the Happiness Thread on this forum.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Happymomof1 said:

Yes, but I do not have a choice right now..  Even if tho it is probably "just the flu"  because a friend has it.. I cannot leave.  I mean I do not want to leave.  I don't want to infect anyone else...  But I'm wondering if this is what claustrophobia feels like...  Literally.   I haven't even survived one day yet...  How in the world can I do another month...

I'm not in complete lockdown mode, but I am extremely limiting. I found myself glued to the internet, so I decided to set a timer so I can get up and move around. Went outside for a walk in the yard, sat on the porch, I will do some cleaning, maybe put on some jazz.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Iron Jenny Flint said:

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Hmmm. I really hope people do NOT flood all the remaining open "fun things to do"! 😕 

Yes.  I also really hope they don't get their prevention advice from the Herald.  Love the last one. (smh).

Quote:

If you do decide to go to one of the locations above, make sure to follow the Centers for Disease Control’s tips on the best ways to prevent being exposed to the virus:

Clean your hands often: Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.

Avoid close contact: Put distance between yourself and other people.

Cover coughs and sneezes: Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or use the inside of your elbow, throw used tissues away and immediately wash your hands or sanitize them.

Wear a facemask if you are sick: If sick wear a facemask when you’re around other people. If not, you do not need to wear one.

20 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Because parents are apparently letting kids go out a ton when schools are closed. (And, I agree with you they need to be closed. They are still on where I am. Grrr!!)

Here it’s not the parents. Kids are kind of loitering at my local supermarket after school dismissal every day. These kids are mostly latchkey kids. 
Schools are closed from March 16th here and my district didn’t give any school work for the three weeks. Libraries are closed. Won’t be surprised if kids hang out at the nearby malls.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I doubt it.  Although grocery stores are currently seeing a surge due to panic buying, generally, stores don't make money when people buy only what they need.  Stores need people walking in and impluse buying things like $2.50 Coke from the fridges at the check out.  They need people to walk past all the Easter candy and expensive ice cream before they get to the milk so that people splurge on that and don't ONLY buy milk.  Online shopping/pick up service eliminates a lot of impluse buying and ultimately, I think that going to ONLY that would hurt retail in the long run.  (at least, in terms of grocery and other everyday necessities.)

Yes, and grocery stores only earn about 2.5% profits even in the best of times.

33 minutes ago, square_25 said:

. So why are we leaving schools open?? 

In our town, the hospital is one of the largest employers. School closure means healthcare professionals won't be working and kids not eating.That were two main reasons our school district gave in yesterday's update for remaining open.

There was some talk wayyyy back in this thread about trying to break it into separate threads. At the time, I guess it was decided that wasn't going to happen. Now there are several threads, but I don't think the discussion in this thread is going anywhere.

But not losing all the news because of discussion is important! I don't know where the balance is, but maybe if everyone tried to keep discussion from going too far off news, it would be okay. Yeah, I know that'll be different for everyone. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hah, I would be in your shoes as well. I'll PM me if it turns out that I shouldn't post publicly, but I personally think it's not a bad idea to have some discussion in this thread -- I think it's thought-provoking for people looking this over. On the other hand, I don't want things to get too contentious :-). So I'd like some guidance on belongs here. 

Well, I've mostly been just a bystander to this thread but I liked it better when it was mainly news with a bit of discussion and not much, if any, arguing. Maybe it's just because there are more people posting here now, but it is harder to find the newsworthy bits when you're having to scroll through disagreement after disagreement. Just my opinion...

A big thank you to Arcadia and Ausmumof3 and Pen and everyone else who has been keeping us up to date with the latest news!

• Like 11

Our school just texted to let us know they are closing for at least the remainder of the month effective immediately. They had initially said they would let us know on Monday, so they've obviously been working tirelessly this weekend, decided the best course of action, and wanted to give the school community the most time they could to make arrangements.

DS has been getting surveys this weekend from his teachers asking how students would best like to proceed—live classes, YouTube type where they can be watched at various times, links to khan academy and so on...he really feels that he’s in good hands, which greatly helps ease his anxiety.

Now we are waiting for the state to ask all non essential state employees to work from home, so DH won’t have to go in to his office. On Monday I’ll see if I can do most of my work remotely, though my job doesn’t put me in much interaction with others anyway. I’m in isolation mode already. We did go for a hike this afternoon though which helped reduce our stress levels and felt more “normal”. I’m going to insist we get lots of outdoor time (away from others, of course. Easy to do where we live).

• Like 5

I would be happy if we can be relatively contention and anxiety free here. Like, we are all feeling stressed out but I don’t want to have to leave this thread because it goes sideways like some other threads. I don’t mind discussion, but I have been struggling with the tone change. Does that help? We are a community. I can’t tell people what to do....just offering some feedback.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

This is literally the only thread on the same board where I feel like I can express my (reasonable) fears and frustrations. 

I did not know till today that it was only meant for news.

It wasn't meant only for news.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

our church has made changes.  We have hand sanitizers everywhere.  We have been told not to kiss icons & cross but to bow or cross ourselves.  We are no longer to take communion as we used to but take it like a baby bird.  Essentially, the priest pours the Mysteries into our mouth - no touching.  Coffee hour (generally a big deal in EO churches) and Church school are cancelled.  Our parish live-streams its services so people are encouraged to utilize that.  We went to liturgy this morning with about 15 people for Memorial Saturday.  Lots of room to spread out.  They were cleaning down pews and icons when I left.  I would have stayed to help but my back was killing me.   My son and I don't plan to go to church tomorrow morning.  

I think my daughter's parish (ROCOR ) is considering cancelling.  Her FIL (the senior priest) is over 65 and not in good health.   Her parish usually has less than 50 people on a good day.

Update From the OCA Juristiction of the Orthodox Church:  "Everyone in the parish or mission, other than the priest(s) (and deacon(s)), a reader, a server, and a limited number of chanters or singers (all of whom are physically strong and at low risk for COVID-19), is encouraged to remain at home, even at the time of the Divine Liturgy."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think it is the fighting that showed up for awhile that caused issues...

In other news, I found this article interesting: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8112063/America-braces-coronvirus-collapse-100-00-ICU-beds-10-MILLION-hospitalized.html

The Twitter thread from Andy Slavitt that they quote is extremely alarming.

On another note, the US reported approximately 20,800 tests so far. That's not the total because some states have stopped reporting negative tests, but we are finally ramping up the number of tests being done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StellaM said:

This is literally the only thread on this board where I feel like I can express my (reasonable) fears and frustrations. 

If most people want to keep it for news, I'll respect that, but I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right about now and people are just going to have to give me a pass for any tone change that occurred prior to me knowing it's just a news thread. I thought it was news, personal experiences and advice.

Well, I like the mix of news and discussion.  There are plenty of places to see news only.  I want to know what people from different places and viewpoints *think* about that news.  I also like the local/national angles.  Just my $0.02.

Edited by DoraBora
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, StellaM said:

This is literally the only thread on this board where I feel like I can express my (reasonable) fears and frustrations. 

If most people want to keep it for news, I'll respect that, but I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right about now and people are just going to have to give me a pass for any tone change that occurred prior to me knowing it's just a news thread. I thought it was news, personal experiences and advice.

I didn’t think it was just for news, either. 

Perhaps people can express things, but if one finds oneself going back and forth debating or arguing or counterpointing someone, maybe keep that to a minimum?  One or two volleys back and forth and then let it drop?  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

I am worried about families where both parents are in health care or essential services like fire fighting.  I feel like I should offer to watch kids, but I also don't want to put my own family at risk.  

6 hours ago, Katy said:

If no one in your family is high risk it would probably be fine.  If you know the family well but someone has moderate risk you could offer to let the kids stay with you for the duration.  That way parents can work double shifts, sleep a double shift, and not have to worry about the children at all.  They could facetime as needed.

I think that’s a great idea, but considering amount of time @Terabith seems to have had threads about being sick, maybe doing something like being a coordinator to facilitate homes for many kids in your area who may need them would make more sense than being a home for just one family ????

21 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Graph of cases shows how many exceptionally mild 20-something cases we're likely missing:

Thanks for posting this, @Farrar!

Original source for that graph & an article with more info if anyone wants to see it.

https://medium.com/@andreasbackhausab/coronavirus-why-its-so-deadly-in-italy-c4200a15a7bf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pen said:

I think that’s a great idea, but considering amount of time @Terabith seems to have had threads about being sick, maybe doing something like being a coordinator to facilitate homes for many kids in your area who may need them would make more sense than being a home for just one family ????

I saw an immunologist, who did some tests and decided I really don't have an immunological issue; I just have higher than average exposure.  (And, um, that I needed to quit biting my nails.  Which was REALLY hard to do, but seems to have made a big difference.  Oops.  That literally had never occurred to me.)  He said that since I recovered from viral infections in about five days without needing antibiotics, that that was a good sign.  

That said, I reached out to a couple families that I was specifically concerned about, and they don't need help right now.  

• Like 1

@mathnerd

https://abc7news.com/health/alaska-airlines-employee-at-sfo-tests-positive-for-covid-19/6014055/
“SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An Alaska Airlines customer service agent at San Francisco International Airport has tested positive for coronavirus, officials said Saturday.

Alaska says that the employee felt sick and left work on Tuesday.

Their positive test result came back Friday.

The airline says the employee is now recovering and feeling better.

Alaska is working to identify anyone who may have come into contact with this employee and says it has also thoroughly cleaned the areas where the agent worked and its employee breakroom.”

Edited by Arcadia

22 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Well, people seem to be saying they don't want expressions of frustration. 

it was doing fine so long as it doesn’t go off into politics (especially US divisive politics) And doesn’t end up upset anger at each other.

it wasn’t just news and doesn’t need to be, but had had a supportive feeling and imo needs to keep that.

• Like 1