• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

Global times

Ministry of Finance and civil aviation regulator will reward airliners that do not halt or have resumed international flights. Cash reward set at 0.0528 yuan per seat kilometer if the flight is run by a sole airline. A Beijing-New York large plane could get 174,000 yuan ($25,000)

3 minutes ago, Plum said:

Something about seeing the NY version of disinfecting the subway in their regular uniform and spray bottles after seeing the Chinese and South Koreans with full PPE and high powered sprayers doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. 

Link is just for the pictures  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8069669/New-York-state-confirms-second-case-coronavirus-transit-workers-disinfect-subway-cars.html

China also had a bunch of wildlife die and we don’t even know if the giant street spraying operation worked.  Would be good to see them in PPE though.

6 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I don't get the t paper war.  It isn't gastro. What a thing to get into a fight over. Maybe they are thinking their shelf stable food will cause the runs???? 

Two weeks.ago when I stocked up, TP was high on my list.  I was thinking, “quarantine” and thinking I do NOT want to have to use the family cloth (which is what they call it when you use cloth rags instead of paper), if we were in a long quarantine. I wish I’d kept that little water bottle with the spout they gave me after giving birth, so we could have a bidet situation should we run out of paper.

I was talking with my sons about toilet paper and how people used catalog paper in the past.  That actually reassured me.  I have a stack of catalogs in my recycling pile if I need them!  😄

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I know right!  Plenty of leaves, old math books or even just good old bidet style before we need to start stabbing anyone!

Tangentially, I often think “we” (society) have made a big mistake in our consumption of tp. Bidets and washing make much more sense. I grant you, I have not abandoned tp. But I often think about what a strange waste it is that we buy all this flushable paper to wipe our, um, areas when it doesn’t really work that well, in the sanitary sense. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Garga said:

... I wish I’d kept that little water bottle with the spout they gave me after giving birth, so we could have a bidet situation should we run out of paper.

😄

17 minutes ago, Quill said:

Tangentially, I often think “we” (society) have made a big mistake in our consumption of tp. Bidets and washing make much more sense. I grant you, I have not abandoned tp. But I often think about what a strange waste it is that we buy all this flushable paper to wipe our, um, areas when it doesn’t really work that well, in the sanitary sense. 

I remember getting that little water bottle after birth and thinking how great it was and I would use it forever.

That wa short-lived... (I don't know why. I think the bottle was lost and I never got another...)

• Like 3

France is closing about 120 schools near Paris 

BBC: 

France closes schools near Paris

France has closed about 120 schools in areas with the largest numbers of coronavirus infection.

Both primary and secondary schools have been shut in an area north of Paris where the main cluster of French cases has emerged and where two people who have died of the virus lived. 

The closures affect about 35,000 pupils, Education Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer told LCI television.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

My dd was with me yesterday when I threw a few canned goods into the cart. The look on her face....utter distaste. And yes, it even made my stomach turn a bit!

I'm out of likes but, yeah, my DH feels the same. If we get lucky and don't need them I can donate them to a food pantry. No harm no foul. When DH saw them in the pantry last night, he let out this big, dramatic sigh. I reminded him how far he's come from cheese in a white can/box to wrinkling up his nose at a can of Del Monte corn. He was not amused.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

My dd was with me yesterday when I threw a few canned goods into the cart. The look on her face....utter distaste. And yes, it even made my stomach turn a bit!

My teens were joking about people stockpiling SPAM at home. The SPAM cans have not run out at any supermarket we go.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My teens were joking about people stockpiling SPAM at home. The SPAM cans have not run out at any supermarket we go.

Someone from a local food pantry just spoke at our church and said cans of Spam are the most coveted donation. .. so maybe they are a good thing to get and donate if not used...

• Like 5

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3065016/coronavirus-pet-dog-belonging-covid-19-patient

“Hong Kong health authorities confirmed on Wednesday that a pet dog belonging to a Covid-19 patient had contracted the coronavirus, with experts calling it the first reported case of human-to-animal transmission.

The Pomeranian, which repeatedly tested “weak positive” since last Friday – suggesting it was surface contamination, with the dog picking up traces of the virus in its nose and mouth rather than being actually infected – will now remain under quarantine with the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department for further testing.

“It is positive to tests and has been infected, so it is now quarantined in a centre by the department,” health minister Sophia Chan Siu-chee said during a regular press briefing.”

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

My daughter's friend clarified that she will most definitely be quarantined after returning from Italy. She and all other returning students and faculty. Also, they are not allowed to set foot on campus until after May graduations. My daughter also said that this morning her professor said--only half joking--that "we might not see each other after everyone comes back from travel over spring break". So they are taking it VERY seriously.

I'm trying to get her to cancel her trip. 

• Like 2

UK https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51738837

“Workers will get statutory sick pay from the first day off work, not the fourth, to help contain coronavirus, the prime minister has said.

Boris Johnson said people who self-isolate are helping to protect others from the virus and should not be "penalised for doing the right thing".

It means those receiving statutory sick pay would get an extra £40.

The number of confirmed cases increased by 34 on Wednesday to a total of 85 - up from 51 on Tuesday.

England's chief medical officer earlier said it was "likely" the virus will become an epidemic in the UK.”

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I wonder if that is due to a number or elderly folks on food assistance? My dad was a WW2 veteran and he bought a can now and then to be fried up like bacon at breakfast. I think it was nostalgic for him, he ate a lot of it in the war years. 

Spam was sort of a picnic(camping stove) staple for me growing up.  I have happy memories of my dad frying it up with a can, yes I said can , of potato’s on picnic tables as we traveled.  My kids actually would love to try the stuff from my stories but Dh hates It.   I can see where food banks and churches would love it.  Maybe I will buy some and hopefully be able to donate it.

I read behind a paywall but U.K. plans are being released.  Big panic via friend is that Paracedamol has basically ran out...........that is basically Brit’s version of Tylenol,  using aspirin is not common, and alieve is a prescription    .  India not shipping in and the other source is China. 

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I'm seeing a lot of arguments about how contagious COVID-19 is.  Does anyone know what percentage of people on Diamond Princess contracted it?  It seems like everyone on that boat was exposed. 

According to this article

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-coronavirus-quarantine-went-wrong-2020-2#on-february-1-a-man-whod-been-on-the-diamond-princess-tested-positive-for-the-coronavirus-six-days-after-leaving-the-ship-the-cruise-docked-in-the-port-of-yokohama-japan-three-days-later-1

they had 3,711 crew+passengers and 705 infections. 19%

I do not consider these numbers in any way relevant for a normal community situation because a) the close quarters on a cruise ship make transmission much easier and b) the demographics on a cruise ship do not mirror the average population.

• Like 8

This is the conclusion I've come to. Of course nobody else has to agree with it -- I'm going to go forward with the belief that it's probably inevitable that I or one/more of my immediate family members is going to get it. That doesn't mean I'm not going to do all the things we're encouraged to do--on the contrary, I'm going to do them to my utmost ability, but w/o driving myself absolutely nuts about it. I can't make myself nuts about it, or live in fear or extremely heightened anxiety for the next . . .  months? years? who knows? Viruses happen. And despite the stats and despite the fact that both DH and I are in serious risk categories, still  . . . life goes on, and odds are if (when) we get it we'll be okay. I'll do the best I can to prevent it, but I've got enough real life/right now health worries and stress. I can't expend any more emotional energy worrying about what ifs. So . . . pragmatism but not panic.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pawz4me said:

This is the conclusion I've come to. Of course nobody else has to agree with it -- I'm going to go forward with the belief that it's probably inevitable that I or one/more of my immediate family members is going to get it. That doesn't mean I'm not going to do all the things we're encouraged to do--on the contrary, I'm going to do them to my utmost ability, but w/o driving myself absolutely nuts about it. I can't make myself nuts about it, or live in fear or extremely heightened anxiety for the next . . .  months? years? who knows? Viruses happen. And despite the stats and despite the fact that both DH and I are in serious risk categories, still  . . . life goes on, and odds are if (when) we get it we'll be okay. I'll do the best I can to prevent it, but I've got enough real life/right now health worries and stress. I can't expend any more emotional energy worrying about what ifs. So . . . pragmatism but not panic.

This is where we are at also. Dh has to go to work to earn money and health insurance so we are just washing our hands a lot, eating healthy, and doing what we can to be in the best shape we can should we get this.

I am sheltering in at this point—only going out for doctor appointments and other necessary things. I know I am in it for the long haul. But, we have done this a few times in the past with very medically fragile children. I am just hoping that when I get this it’s on the downside of the curve—doctors are experienced, equipment is available, and my lungs have healed from my last severe illness in December/January.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

According to this article

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-coronavirus-quarantine-went-wrong-2020-2#on-february-1-a-man-whod-been-on-the-diamond-princess-tested-positive-for-the-coronavirus-six-days-after-leaving-the-ship-the-cruise-docked-in-the-port-of-yokohama-japan-three-days-later-1

they had 3,711 crew+passengers and 705 infections. 19%

I do not consider these numbers in any way relevant for a normal community situation because a) the close quarters on a cruise ship make transmission much easier and b) the demographics on a cruise ship do not mirror the average population.

Also (though going in the opposite direction) they did try to isolate passengers in cabins. Obviously, that didn't work very well but it probably did work somewhat. We don't know (I think) how later infections broke down between crew/passengers and how many people that got infected later had cabin mates that were already infected. Some people might have had little to no contact with the virus.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Also (though going in the opposite direction) they did try to isolate passengers in cabins. Obviously, that didn't work very well but it probably did work somewhat. We don't know (I think) how later infections broke down between crew/passengers and how many people that got infected later had cabin mates that were already infected. Some people might have had little to no contact with the virus.

The article I read (which sorry, I can't find right now) said that they were "isolating" sick people in the same rooms as healthy etc. so not exactly a good test of isolation protocols. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

But the passengers were served by crew, and they never isolated the crew; according to the reports I read infected and non-infected crew members were not separated. they shared tables at meals and bedrooms. SMH.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Catching up reading! 

I am having a really bad day for being logged off.  

Keeping this message short because for a longer one with links I kept being logged off mid message and gave up. 😤

Consider hand/nail brush for getting nail areas clean

Bottle bidet seems like interesting idea

I had some small plastic bottles ready for return for deposits back, but think I am going to use them for small extra water bottles filled from home tap, and a few for garden mini cloches to protect plant starts.

• Like 2

@mumto2 @Laura Corin @Pen

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51731719

“There are fears of global shortages of some common drugs after India limited the export of certain medicines due to the coronavirus.

The world's biggest supplier of generic drugs has restricted exports of 26 ingredients and the medicines made from them.

The restricted drugs include Paracetamol, one of the world's most widely-used pain relievers.

... The list of ingredients and medicines accounts for 10% of all Indian pharmaceutical exports and includes several antibiotics, such as tinidazole and erythromycin, the hormone progesterone and Vitamin B12.

... Major US pharmaceutical companies have said they are monitoring their supply chains.

Mylan warned last week that there could be drug shortages, while Eli Lilly said it does not expect the coronavirus outbreak to result in shortages for any of its therapies, including insulin products.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Diamond Princess—

I would really like to know about the people who did NOT get sick....   not so much ones that might have been far from sick ones and not had contact. But roommates of sick ones, crew who were close together in mess halls.  

What could be learned possibly about what might have helped some of the people to not get sick even though exposed

• Like 2

I am immunocompromised.  I am also battling a virus.  (Most likely the common cold coronavirus, not COVID19).  I have had to isolate myself and wear masks going out in public for years.  This year is no different except that I am on some really good immunotherapy meds that have made me healthier.  We are using standard cold and flu season precautions.  I am not going out right now because I am sick because even though I have the common cold (no fever, no cough), who wants to catch that from me?  There are variables outside of my control.  So I am upping my odds and using common sense.  (In my opinion, of course!)

PS - my doctor called in asthma meds for me sight unseen so that I can be prepared because this cold has caused chest tightness.  Hopefully I won't have to use them, but I will have them just in case.  (PPS - these were meds that I were previously prescribed so not a totally new prescription out of the blue.) 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@mumto2 @Laura Corin @Pen

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51731719

“There are fears of global shortages of some common drugs after India limited the export of certain medicines due to the coronavirus.

The world's biggest supplier of generic drugs has restricted exports of 26 ingredients and the medicines made from them.

The restricted drugs include Paracetamol, one of the world's most widely-used pain relievers.

... The list of ingredients and medicines accounts for 10% of all Indian pharmaceutical exports and includes several antibiotics, such as tinidazole and erythromycin, the hormone progesterone and Vitamin B12.

... Major US pharmaceutical companies have said they are monitoring their supply chains.

Mylan warned last week that there could be drug shortages, while Eli Lilly said it does not expect the coronavirus outbreak to result in shortages for any of its therapies, including insulin products.”

Although ibuprofen is not the same as paracetamol, it can be used as a substitute in many circumstances.  I don't know if it's also going to be in short supply.

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The article I read (which sorry, I can't find right now) said that they were "isolating" sick people in the same rooms as healthy etc. so not exactly a good test of isolation protocols. 

The way I understood it is that the just isolated by cabin. So if one person was infected the others in the cabin would share the room with them. However, if noone started out infected there would have been a separation. I realize that crew was not isolated and still served passengers and that passengers were allowed to have limited contact with each other. Still, there were probably some cabins that had noone infected to start with and the crew they had contact with might not have been infected either. 

All I am trying to say is that some passengers probably had little or no contact with the virus so actual infection rates might have been higher if passengers and crew had kept on going about their regular business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

Although ibuprofen is not the same as paracetamol, it can be used as a substitute in many circumstances.  I don't know if it's also going to be in short supply.

While I would not panic buy, I would get what you think you might need for your mom and your family. It’s useful to have some as a family first aid supply. I told my husband to tell his siblings to check their Panadol supply and buy a box or two if needed since Singapore stocks is still plentiful.

I am worried about erythromycin. That’s the antibiotics I usually get because of penicillin allergy so amoxicillin is risky.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I wonder if that is due to a number or elderly folks on food assistance? My dad was a WW2 veteran and he bought a can now and then to be fried up like bacon at breakfast. I think it was nostalgic for him, he ate a lot of it in the war years. 

We ate this all the time growing up. It was a weekend breakfast staple with eggs and pancakes. Our cub scouts had a food drive and spam and vienna sausages were at the top of the list for needed donations. I kind of like the taste of spam :blush: (what happened to the running away emoji?)

• Like 1

Just now, Arcadia said:

While I would not panic buy, I would get what you think you might need for your mom and your family. It’s useful to have some as a family first aid supply. I told my husband to tell his siblings to check their Panadol supply and buy a box or two if needed since Singapore stocks is still plentiful.

I am worried about erythromycin. That’s the antibiotics I usually get because of penicillin allergy so amoxicillin is risky.

My mum is in a care home, so I no longer buy her drugs.  We keep paracetamol and ibuprofen at home anyway, so I think we are fine, thanks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, saraha said:

We ate this all the time growing up. It was a weekend breakfast staple with eggs and pancakes. Our cub scouts had a food drive and spam and vienna sausages were at the top of the list for needed donations. I kind of like the taste of spam :blush: (what happened to the running away emoji?)

It flies off the shelves in HI whenever emergency prep is underway. It's sold everywhere as a convenience store snack...spam musubi. My daughter loves it.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Israel has enlarged the number of countries that non-Israeli citizens cannot enter and Israelis have to self-quarantine. We have US friends whose family left Italy to avoid the issue in going to Israel. They went to France. Now they're looking for another country to safely ride it out for 14 days so they can eventually get to Israel.

Jerusalem Post

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced that going forward, any Israeli who returns to the country from France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain and Austria will now require isolation.This list is to be added to the already expanded list of people requiring isolation, including those coming from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand and Singapore.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I agree!  I have done some preparing, but I'm expecting someone close to me to get it.  My DS and I were driving to class this morning.  He is my anxious kid and I asked if he was doing ok with all of this.  He said we have done what we could to prepare and we are washing hands, etc.  He said we will deal with it if/when we get it.  He's 14.5.  

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Oh, I figure we’ll get it, too. But I’ll continue to do what I can to delay it and avoid spreading it. Not to the point of lockdown and screwing up my kids’ college credits, but the stuff that matters much less.

• Like 3

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/changi-airport-turkish-airlines-flight-covid19-coronavirus-12502968

“(Updated: 05 Mar 2020 01:25AM)

SINGAPORE: A passenger arriving in Singapore from Turkey on a Turkish Airlines flight tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday (Mar 4).

The Ministry of Health had confirmed late on Wednesday night that one of the passengers on TK54, which had arrived in Singapore from Turkey on Mar 3, tested positive for COVID-19.

A statement from the Ministry of Transport (MOT) said Turkish Airlines flight TK55 did not take off from Changi Airport on Wednesday at its scheduled departure time of 11.35pm.

MOH said it has started contact tracing for flight passengers who may have had contact with the case while the case was infectious.

MOT, together with the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore and the Changi Airport Group, are in contact with and assisting the airline and passengers. 

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it is also in contact with the Turkish Embassy on this matter.”

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, saraha said:

I'm not going to judge you. We eat it, maybe, once a month. We pan fry it with soy sauce and eat it over rice. DH learned to eat it this way from his college roomie whose Vietnamese mom cooked it for them. 

(And I bought 4 cans to stock up because it was on sale, and I know we'll eat it...)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

My update from 10:45 this morning (Eastern Standard Time).  DS and I went to Costco to get a pizza for lunch.  It was packed!!!  Baskets filled to the brim with water and paper products mostly.  DH and I stocked up at Costco on Saturday so I just had a few more things to get.  Water was almost gone.  TP and paper towels almost gone.  Kleenex almost gone, but I got one as I only have a couple of boxes left.  DS was shocked as he has only seen it filled to the brim with water, tp, and paper towels.  A lot of people were in the meds aisle.  I had what I needed from there, but was looking for shaving cream because DH is almost out.  I did see Nitrile gloves in the diaper section if anyone is looking, but they were running low on those.

We also received an email from our year round swimming Director.  He said they are monitoring the situation and that several of the places the more elite swimmers (not mine) planned to go during spring break have cases now (FL and GA).  He also asked people to stay home if they are sick.  We are in Northern Virginia and don't currently have any known cases.

I have to take my dad to Costco for a hearing aid check tomorrow.  I also need to go to Walmart today to pick up some food items for DS as he is having his braces worked on tomorrow and will be sore for a couple of days.  After that, I will be limiting my shopping outings to once a week (if I can).  DH never really has to go out since he works from home.  My boys, unfortunately, have classes M/W/F, volunteer on Tuesday at the library, and swim 6 days a week.  Have them taking vitamins and elderberry and they are really good about washing their hands when they come in the door or before they eat.  Can't help the pool water though 😞!

ETA:  I have a case of SPAM from Costco -- LOL.  The boys are 14 and have never had SPAM.  My dad has a few cans too , just in case -- LOL.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I'm not going to judge you. We eat it, maybe, once a month. We pan fry it with soy sauce and eat it over rice. DH learned to eat it this way from his college roomie whose Vietnamese mom cooked it for them. 

(And I bought 4 cans to stock up because it was on sale, and I know we'll eat it...)

Do you dice it, fry it and sprinkle the soy sauce on after? or how do you fix it? We just slice and fry like breakfast meat