Menu

Extensive tattooing and piercing, particularly face/hands/neck

Ginevra

I don’t know any way to ask this that won’t sound like a judgment; in fact, it is a judgment, but I guess I’m asking if anyone has known examples to disprove the judgment. 

I’m not anti-tattoo in general, nor anti-piercing, but I have a hard time imagining how a stable, happy, well-adjusted person could tattoo his or her (but really, his; I almost never see females with this) face, neck and hands extensively, along with bolts, gauges, septum piercings, etc. I have read before that face tattoos are often afiliated with gang membership. Face tats are also common with some of the “worst” society has to offer, like white supremacists. 

The only cases I am familiar with where a “nice guy” had extensive facial tattooing are conversion cases; he got them when he was still in a gang/in a cult/whatever, though he has turned from that lifestyle. 

Part of what prompted my question was seeing a friend’s FB posts of a relative’s graduation from a trade school. The relative is as I describe. I confess I would not hire a man with that level of “scary presentation” for the job he is now certified to do.

In general, I think people adorn themselves according to how they want to be perceived, so it’s hard for me to imagine a “nice guy” with no issues going to considerable expense and pain to adorn himself in a manner most people find at least unappealing, if not very intimidating. 

What sayeth the Hive? 

• Like 8

I am with you Quill.  I just don’t see how most people would get hired with some of the tattoos and extreme piercings I see.  I was even surprised WalMart hired the clerk I saw last night.  I bet she had 5 piercings in her face AND the craziest drawn on eyebrows I have ever seen.  It was comical. And a little sad.  Such a young beautiful girl. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I can imagine a good, decent person also being heavily into body modifications and decorations. 

But I have no prior context around facial tattoos = gang membership.

What your description makes me think of is either someone Maori (the tattoos) or neo-punk (the piercings).  So maybe it's all just local context ? 

Definitely not Maori; I rarely see Maori in my area. 

Neo-punk - yeah, some of this. 

Sorry, I’m getting ready to run and will have to check back later.

I've heard a millennial describe regretting getting such tattoos because he was raised in such an almost idyllic, non-judgmental way that it didn't occur to him that he would face life long discrimination for the look.  It just appealed to him so he did it. I think this was a random interview I saw somewhere though, probably something one of the kids was watching on YouTube. So IDK if this guy was really that naive or was just a charming kid with a personality disorder trying to walk back his too-bold choice.

Certain face tattoos have prison meanings but that doesn't mean ALL face tattoos do.

• Like 1

This kind of thing?

https://images.app.goo.gl/zEbKJ7BfRCXYqzwi8

I don't see it often but when I do I find it very disconcerting and yeah not the person I would likely pick from among others to come fix my electrical wiring or something.

Clean cut dress and grooming standards are primarily about helping others feel comfortable, and that is hard to do when your face is constantly drawing attention because of unusual and grotesque adornments.

• Like 1

I really feel like hand/neck tattoos and a moderate amount piercing are pretty common here.  As in, I regularly see gymnastics coaches with them.  Face tattoos are not as common, but I still see them.  

Ds’s preschool teacher is pretty heavily tattooed and my nephew’s preschool teacher is also - and he works at a preschool in a synagogue! A teacher a ds’s ballet school has a tattoo that starts in her back and ends next to her ear.  

One of Dd’s friend recently got her first face tattoo, she is a hair stylist.  Another is extremely pierced and her and her husband own a company where they sell things at trade shows.  We know a lady who works with disabled people, a lady who works as an elementary school teacher, and a few people working at the university who have hand tattoos (in addition to others locations).

Landlord has had some work done on the house and most people had some tattoos. The sewer guy had neck and hand tattoos and he was excellent.  Not to mention the amount of military/ex military with tattoos that seem rampant...

None of these are gang tattoos, although I do see some of those from time to time while I’m out and about.   Of course, maybe it’s the area of the country we live in?  

• Like 2

After some more thought, I do only know one physician with a small tattoo on her hand, the rest have tattoos that can be covered.   Nurses tend to have more tattoos, ime, but I cannot recall seeing a face tattoo in a nurse. 

The more white-collar we go, the less I can think of people with hand/neck/face tattoos, but there are some here and there.

• Like 2

I’ve met men with extensive neck (among other places) tattoos and body piercings who seem like good, well adjusted people. I had a guy with description as my hairdresser for awhile. The face tattoos in the US are something I do mostly associate with gangs and other criminal activities. I can imagine someone deciding to do it... but it’s hard for me to break that association honestly.

• Like 2

I immediately thought of the comedian linked up thread.

but in real life, most people I see with face/neck tattoos around here do seem to have more gang-related symbolism(tear drops, spiderwebs) though I am not sure it is always gang related. I also see a lot of neck/hand tats on females, usually names or what are clearly memorial tattoos. But o see most of these on people in lower rung jobs, as cashiers or in fast food, not in white collar work.

• Like 2

I worry about extensive tattooing and skin cancer especially for very fair individuals.  Our dermatologist definitely thinks there is a connection even if the internet doesn’t see one.  His first question is do you have any, then any removed?  All those tattoos up the neck with all the lymph nodes just worry me now.

A family friend is marrying a heavily tattooed guy soon.  Heavy beard so no face tattoos visible but hand, a neck, and arm tattoos are visible.  There are lots of reasons why this relationship is probably not in the friend’s  best interest that I don’t want put on the board so let’s just say the tattoos are simply raise questions but are not anyone’s objection, everyone is worried in general.  Much of what this girl has been told does not make sense.  So we have all had at go at analyzing the tattoo choices.....  His tattoos are interesting and say things that are not true to the best of my kid’s knowledge.......he is covered in mainly anchors and skulls......he has never been in the Navy, a gang, or in prison to the best of our knowledge....we don’t think he has ever been around boats even. They are possibly the worst tattoos ever, as in not symmetrical, color density problems within an image, etc.  Even if someone practiced on him there should be some that show more skill.   As my son puts it he hopes the guy didn’t spend money on them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I saw that in the greater PHX area now and then, but I haven't seen it here in the greater Raleigh area. I never associated it with gang membership, more with the very alternative lifestyle crowds. My honest reaction is, "That's a very myopic person.  They can't see the possibility of future change in circumstances and personal tastes.  They can't see how reactions, assumptions, and associations from others differ from their own." I don't think that about tatoos that can be covered for professional situations and revealed in casual situations.

• Like 5

Neck, hands, full sleeved tattoos are pretty common around here.  Face tattoos not so much.  Of all the people I know who have extensive tattoos none of the are gang or prison related.  I know A LOT of extensively tattooed men and women.  It is just the crowd I have always hung out with because from my experience they are the most inclusive people since they are used to the crappy way people judge them.  I know that extensive tattoos is also associated with people in gangs, hate groups, and prison but I do not know anyone who has tattoos for those reasons.  

Some of my friends are very successful in their white collar careers, but many of them would have never gone the white collar route even if they didn't have tattoos so I don't really think it as hampered their career choices.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 3

I don’t see a lot of face tattoos, but plenty of extensive tattooing and piercing. Gang ties never really occur to me, though my brain might go that way if I saw teardrops or something. I never have IRL.

Honestly, I’d probably have a ton of tattoos if having 5 kids wasn’t so expensive, lol. I just haven’t had that kind of disposable cash. 

Dh isn’t heavily tattooed, but he has two big ones. One isn’t visible at work. The other peeks out of his short sleeves work polos. He has a white collar  position in a rather blue collar industry. 

Otoh, some piercings gross me out. I let one of my teens get her nose pierced, but I won’t sign for a septum or lip piercing like she wishes I would. I find them icky. Of course I’ll still love her if she gets them at 18, but she knows I won’t like the piercings. 

• Like 1

Face tattoos definitely suggest to me possibilities that are not positive for one's prospects:

1) Gang affiliation, especially violent gangs.

2) General rebel - that's fine for fun stuff, but not what I'm looking for in an employee.

3) Not smart enough to realize that face tattoos will be viewed negatively by people whose opinion you absolutely will care about.

There is plenty of skin that can be covered when you go to a job interview or whatever.  Plenty of canvas for all your self-expression.  IMO keep the face free ... unless there is a positive reason, such as cultural adornment ,that will be viewed positively by those whose views will be of value to you in the future.

• Like 6

I think I can relate to what you are saying and some of the facial tats I have seen can look downright scary - and I do think that may be the point. I am talking about images that seem designed to deter or be repulsive. I almost think it's a another form of the "finger" - a message to society in general.

Many of my clients (tough lives, some incarceration) have tats to varying degrees (I am not thinking of roses on the neck or just names). After getting to know them better and generally being exposed to tats, I have learned to look beyond them. Behind "this facade" is a human - and in my world - usually someone whose painful experiences or losses have motivated him to express something to fellow humans. 

I am totally admitting that the first time I saw one of those neck/face tats, it was hard not to inhale audibly and stare. My professional training helped me out and before long - and being exposed to many people with tats - I realized that I don't see the tat anymore as a primary focal point, instead I am focused on getting to the person "behind" it.

Then there are likely those who just think it's "cool" and want to copy or emulate those "bad boy designs" without thinking that a few years from now they may view it differently not to mention that the tat changes as your skin changes...

If I opened the door to an electrician or plumber who looked like that, I may be a little surprised but probably quickly realize that I don't know what path he has traveled and that it's wonderful that he is now working and I would not want him to think I am repulsed but I do completely understand that it is scary for most people who are not typically in close contact with scarily tatted people. 

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

I think I can relate to what you are saying and some of the facial tats I have seen can look downright scary - and I do think that may be the point. I am talking about images that seem designed to deter or be repulsive. I almost think it's a another form of the "finger" - a message to society in general.

Many of my clients (tough lives, some incarceration) have tats to varying degrees (I am not thinking of roses on the neck or just names). After getting to know them better and generally being exposed to tats, I have learned to look beyond them. Behind "this facade" is a human - and in my world - usually someone whose painful experiences or losses have motivated him to express something to fellow humans. 

I am totally admitting that the first time I saw one of those neck/face tats, it was hard not to inhale audibly and stare. My professional training helped me out and before long - and being exposed to many people with tats - I realized that I don't see the tat anymore as a primary focal point, instead I am focused on getting to the person "behind" it.

Then there are likely those who just think it's "cool" and want to copy or emulate those "bad boy designs" without thinking that a few years from now they may view it differently not to mention that the tat changes as your skin changes...

If I opened the door to an electrician or plumber who looked like that, I may be a little surprised but probably quickly realize that I don't know what path he has traveled and that it's wonderful that he is now working and I would not want him to think I am repulsed but I do completely understand that it is scary for most people who are not typically in close contact with scarily tatted people. 

Very well said.  I just went through a fast food place and girl there had tattoos all over her neck and arms. 

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

There use to be a guy at the shop who had a teardrop tattoo under his eye.  I really have no idea if he was in a gang or in prison or whatever....It did always unnerve me though.

Teardrop tattoos are known in prison as a symbol that you've murdered someone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Teardrop tattoos are known in prison as a symbol that you've murdered someone.

Yes, we had heard that and we all were always sitting around wondering if he really did or was just trying to look tough.  He was a little scrawny type guy.  I really am just glad he doesn't work here anymore.  

Face tattoos...yeah, make me wonder at the persons' long term thinking/judgement. but, depends on the tattoo, and what way I'm interacting with them. Are they an artist, or a dentist, you know?

Neck tattoos I never really see, although DH and I have been watching Pitbulls and Parolees on Hulu and noticed that everyone on there seems to have a neck tattoo almost. Totally different than here. 

• Like 2

I didn't read others' responses because I didn't want to be influenced in my response!  I'm on the fence with this.  I don't mind tattoos at all.  I would never trust a person less if they had one.  I think nothing of small tattoos.  To me, that's about the same as an ear piercing.  (Several of my children have small ones.)  But when I see a person who is covered from head to toe in tattoos, I automatically wonder what's wrong.  What's going on in their lives that causes them to seek satisfaction in covering their bodies in that way?  Every person I've personally known who has head to toe tattoos got them while going through a period of years when they were really struggling with something.  Again, this wouldn't cause me to not be interested in their friendship or not hire them or not think them very smart people or anything like that.  But to me, I've often wondered if it's an outer sign of some internal struggle.

I also think I could be completely wrong.  I've had a couple kids tell me that I am.  🙂

• Like 2

I have to preface it by saying that I usually fully admit when I am being judgemental.

When it comes to tattoos I am not judgemental but I don't get them.  I just don't get why anyone would want to permanently (in most cases) paint their body.  Piercings are different bc holes can close up (I think).  But tattoos??  Why?  I've heard various stories and reasons and I've yet to hear one when I can nod my head in understanding.  I don't get it. 

My husband, on another hand, is fascinated by them bc he used to be a photographer in his previous life and some of the ones he notices are super artistic.  Sure.  But *I* still don't get it.

Now, as far as "trusting" professionals with tattoos.....I probably would do a double / triple take at a tattooed accountant but not a roofer.  i don't know why. But that's what I see happening. Beyond that I don't think it would make a difference to me in hiring process.  But I don't think I've ever been in that situation, so I can't say for sure

• Like 2

I live outside Portland Oregon. We see it all here. Face tats, piercings, full sleves, etc. It is so mainstream here that it seems I know more people with tatoos than without. I have zero interest in them and find some of the more macabre images disturbing and some piercings are just bazaar. I just try to not look at them.

My son-in-law is planning to get a tat and my daughter has thought about a small one. It seems like tats are almost addicting to some people, getting one after another in rapid succession once they start. I hope my family members don't fall victim to it.

Some tats are really beautiful art and some large pieces are truly impressive. The nicest ones are planned from the beginning tho, not just random bits/styles/colors lumped together and some background images trying to pull it all together. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I am close to many heavily tattooed and/or pierced people.  I do not personally know anyone with a face tattoo but several with neck and hands.  All are perfectly normal people with no prison record that hold normal jobs.  My dh is heavily tattooed in ways that are pretty impossible to fully hide and he is a very successful professional that has never had a problem getting and/or holding down a job.  I am sure there are (many) employers that would discriminate based on this and he knows it but also does not want to work for/with anyone who would so it all works out.  He also has a facial piercing that he used to remove for important business stuff but stopped doing so ages ago and very much enjoys experimenting with hair color too.  I have a few tattoos myself but am not as into them as he is.  He sees them as art and has been adding to his "collection" for 20 years.  There is no struggle or life issue involved.  There is nothing "wrong."  He just likes them.  That is true of anyone I know well enough to know what motivates their tattoo acquisition.  

• Like 2

I'm in Florida (FWIW).

In the past 10-20 years or so, I've seen more and more people with sleeve tattoos, face piercings and the like show up in "normal" businesses.  I'm of the age when Cher's tattoos were considered extreme.  And you know what? Most people really don't care.  While I'm still rocking just one ear piercing (because the other always closes up), and I have zero desire for more....I'm more used to them and they don't bother me.  

I personally do not like the big black spacers/disks in ears? As they're not attractive to me,, but I don't really care if somebody else does that to themselves.

I do wonder, however how many young twenties/late teens tattoos are later regretted.  I shudder to think what I'd be sporting now as a 51 year old.  (Likely some weird Adam Ant or David Bowie tattoo.)  

Facial tattoos are another story.  Traditional Maori or other tattoos when that's your heritage? Fine.  Somethink like Takashi69? No thanks.  I don't normally think gang/drug/prison, I just think unattractive.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, umsami said:

I'm in Florida (FWIW).

In the past 10-20 years or so, I've seen more and more people with sleeve tattoos, face piercings and the like show up in "normal" businesses.  I'm of the age when Cher's tattoos were considered extreme.  And you know what? Most people really don't care.  While I'm still rocking just one ear piercing (because the other always closes up), and I have zero desire for more....I'm more used to them and they don't bother me.  

I personally do not like the big black spacers/disks in ears? As they're not attractive to me,, but I don't really care if somebody else does that to themselves.

I do wonder, however how many young twenties/late teens tattoos are later regretted.  I shudder to think what I'd be sporting now as a 51 year old.  (Likely some weird Adam Ant or David Bowie tattoo.)  

Facial tattoos are another story.  Traditional Maori or other tattoos when that's your heritage? Fine.  Somethink like Takashi69? No thanks.  I don't normally think gang/drug/prison, I just think unattractive.  

Only one of my ears stays pierced too.  I gave up 20 years ago since I am not really an earring person anyway........they were definitely peer pressure when I got them.

• Like 3

We I can’t get past looking at the neck tattoos and thinking how painful that must have been. 

The ones that get me are the ones of nasty words on the face and hands.  Who thought it was a good idea to put those there? And why?  One guy recently we had as a delivery guy had exactly what he thought of the world on his hands and up his neck to the face. I am seeing it more and more lately. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Confused 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:59 AM, Quill said:

I don’t know any way to ask this that won’t sound like a judgment; in fact, it is a judgment, but I guess I’m asking if anyone has known examples to disprove the judgment. 

I’m not anti-tattoo in general, nor anti-piercing, but I have a hard time imagining how a stable, happy, well-adjusted person could tattoo his or her (but really, his; I almost never see females with this) face, neck and hands extensively, along with bolts, gauges, septum piercings, etc. I have read before that face tattoos are often afiliated with gang membership. Face tats are also common with some of the “worst” society has to offer, like white supremacists. 

The only cases I am familiar with where a “nice guy” had extensive facial tattooing are conversion cases; he got them when he was still in a gang/in a cult/whatever, though he has turned from that lifestyle. 

Part of what prompted my question was seeing a friend’s FB posts of a relative’s graduation from a trade school. The relative is as I describe. I confess I would not hire a man with that level of “scary presentation” for the job he is now certified to do.

In general, I think people adorn themselves according to how they want to be perceived, so it’s hard for me to imagine a “nice guy” with no issues going to considerable expense and pain to adorn himself in a manner most people find at least unappealing, if not very intimidating. 

What sayeth the Hive? 

I agree with you Quill; I think it shows massively poor judgment.

• Like 2

My brother is running for parliament. He's had a few people tell him they like what he says, but won't vote for him because of his ear plugs. Most people mention them because they are concerned that other people will be prejudiced against him on those grounds, not because they are themselves.

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

My brother is running for parliament. He's had a few people tell him they like what he says, but won't vote for him because of his ear plugs. Most people mention them because they are concerned that other people will be prejudiced against him on those grounds, not because they are themselves.

Do you think that’s genuine? Or is it, “Not that *I* have a problem with it, just saying *some* people will...” 

On 4/29/2019 at 8:48 AM, mumto2 said:

I worry about extensive tattooing and skin cancer especially for very fair individuals.  Our dermatologist definitely thinks there is a connection even if the internet doesn’t see one.  His first question is do you have any, then any removed?  All those tattoos up the neck with all the lymph nodes just worry me now.

A family friend is marrying a heavily tattooed guy soon.  Heavy beard so no face tattoos visible but hand, a neck, and arm tattoos are visible.  There are lots of reasons why this relationship is probably not in the friend’s  best interest that I don’t want put on the board so let’s just say the tattoos are simply raise questions but are not anyone’s objection, everyone is worried in general.  Much of what this girl has been told does not make sense.  So we have all had at go at analyzing the tattoo choices.....  His tattoos are interesting and say things that are not true to the best of my kid’s knowledge.......he is covered in mainly anchors and skulls......he has never been in the Navy, a gang, or in prison to the best of our knowledge....we don’t think he has ever been around boats even. They are possibly the worst tattoos ever, as in not symmetrical, color density problems within an image, etc.  Even if someone practiced on him there should be some that show more skill.   As my son puts it he hopes the guy didn’t spend money on them.

Those sound like prison tats.   As in another inmate did them using ink and a needle.  

I do know one guy that has what I consider extensive tats and is a nice guy.   He has sleeves.    Or partial sleeves.  He was getting them done when his tattoo guy retired.   He said that having someone else finish it would be wrong.   He is upstanding enough that I worked hard to get him hired at my company.    Although, in his case, his childhood was messed up.  I even said to him once, "How did you not end up in Supermax or dead in the gutter?"   So, maybe that and the sleeves are related, I don't know.   

I used to work in a place with a high-tech clean-room manufacturing floor.  So, everything but the area around your eyes was covered.   There was a new worker that was heavily pierced and tattooed.   The other workers were curious and would ask him about them.   The nature of this work left lots of time for conversation.  He had a tongue piercing and his girlfriend had a tongue piercing.   Someone asked him, "Doesn't that hurt when they touch?"   He answered, "That is the point."    

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, shawthorne44 said:

Those sound like prison tats.   As in another inmate did them using ink and a needle.  

That was my family’s first reaction but we have been told they aren’t.  Do not 100%believe because nothing, absolutely nothing, about this guy tracks.  Honestly it would explain so much if they were....they also appear to be multiplying.

On a side note when  my niece was 15yo she was in a group that gave themselves prison style tats for “fun”.  Thank you internet........  Her’s at least doesn’t want to be removed,  many attempts because she hates it.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Quill said:

Do you think that’s genuine? Or is it, “Not that *I* have a problem with it, just saying *some* people will...” 

I've heard some of them myself, and I think they are genuine. They're from the demographic that know their lives are pretty cushy and want to atone for it by being liberal minded.