Menu

I have shingles :(

Lady Florida.

It's funny that I've been seeing ads for the vaccine lately at local pharmacies and have been thinking I should get it, but it was just one of those things you think about but don't act upon. I'm from the generation before the chicken pox vaccine was available and therefore we're susceptible to getting shingles since most of us had the chicken pox. 

The other day a weird bite-like bump appeared on my leg. Within a day another one appeared. Last night they both had blisters in the center. As it happened I had an annual skin check at the dermatologist scheduled for today, so I showed the doctor. She said it's presenting classically. I'll have an anti-viral to take for 7 days and ointment to relieve pain as needed. I'm waiting for the pharmacy to text me that they're ready.

The worst part is I can't be around my granddaughter Emma! ? Not only is she too young to have been vaccinated yet, she has a heart valve defect (a common one among babies with Down Syndrome) and her open heart surgery is scheduled for mid December. She absolutely can't get sick. Not only will it postpone the surgery, it could be dangerous for her. The doctor said to stay away from her for three weeks after the last blister/sore goes away. In fact I shouldn't be around the elderly or anyone too young to have been vaccinated.

If you had chicken pox and are old enough to get the shingles vaccine, consider getting it. Or take a chance, like I did. ? 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Sad 19

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I hope the weeks fly by until you can see your granddaughter again.

Dh is 52 and his doctor told him at his last checkup that he should get a shingles shot and gave him a prescription to take to the pharmacy. Unfortunately, the pharmacy has been out of the shot each time dh has tried to get it. I'm going to remind him to try again, and see about getting one myself.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Selkie said:

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I hope the weeks fly by until you can see your granddaughter again.

Dh is 52 and his doctor told him at his last checkup that he should get a shingles shot and gave him a prescription to take to the pharmacy. Unfortunately, the pharmacy has been out of the shot each time dh has tried to get it. I'm going to remind him to try again, and see about getting one myself.

That is scary.  Is it in really short supply? 

Oh man, I had that when I was around 30.  I wasn't aware of any cure at the time, so I suffered for close to 3 months.  I'm just glad to know it can be cured now.

I wasn't allowed near my niece for 2 years (other health reasons), and I know how hard that is too.  It sucks, but hopefully the time will fly.

Edited by SKL

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah, apparently they can't make enough to keep up with the demand. It's being recommended for those age 50 and up and you need to get two doses. I read that some people have been able to get the first dose, but then aren't able to get the second dose because it's sold out.

Sorry to hear you have the shingles, Lady Florida!

I remember reading that people who had the chicken pox vax can get shingles, too. The vac hasn't been around long enough to know how much it'll cut the shingles rate. (Experts currently say that shingles will be rare in the future because of the two vaxes. But, no long term studies yet because both are fairly new.)

DH had shingles a couple years ago and he wouldn't be able to get the shingles vaccine because in our area, at least, they won't give it to people under age 60.

FIL has the shingles every few years, it seems. I thought he had the shingles vax, but he must not have because he keeps getting the shingles.

• Like 1

I had the shingles a couple of years ago. I was ticked off because I went to the Urgent care clinic (weekend) and that doctor said it was just a rash. I waited almost a week to go see my own doctor, who diagnosed me as soon as she walked in the door. Misery. I still have pain sometimes where the blisters were.

This info about the effectiveness of the vaccine may be of interest. https://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseases/shingles/vaccine-effectiveness.aspx

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh no!  I'm of your generation too.  I've tried to get the shot, but my insurance won't cover it until I'm 60.  Otherwise it's about $400!  (at least at our clinic)  My dd had it at age 25!   She was prescribed an anti-viral too (I still don't really know what that is), and in her case, it never really got bad at all.  I don't know if that's partly because of the anti-viral?

I hope these next few weeks fly by and that you just have a light case of it! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Shingles is horrible. I am so glad you found out fast and got on the antiviral!  

A bit of info on the Shingrix vaccine.  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html  A few main points if you don't want to follow the link.  Shingrix is the newest shingles vaccine.  The old one was called Zostavax and was a live vaccine.  Shingrix is what is considered a dead vaccine (fewer side effects) and was approved fall 2017 by the FDA and released to the public last spring. Shingrix is considered 90+% effective at preventing shingles and thus complications from shingles. It is a two shot series with both shots being the exact same vaccine.  If a patient got Zostavax, they still need 2 shots of Shingrix (given 2 to 6 months apart). There is a nationwide shortage of vaccine and GSK is hoping that it will be resolves in early 2019 but there are such huge waiting lists at each pharmacy, it may take a while for supplies to be distributed to everyone. In our pharmacy we get a small trickle of Shingrix coming in but quite literally, we got 5 shots this month. Currently in our pharmacy, we will only give shots to those who already had the first dose, to help complete their 2 shot series withing the 2-6 month window.  If someone is desperate to get the vaccine, Zostavax is still available, but they will need to wait 2 months before getting the Shingrix shot if they get Zostavax first.

We stopped adding people to the waiting list for the first shot and only take people needing the second shot. (A lot of pharmacies are doing this). It is a huge amount of effort to call people and wait for them to come in, then all the return phone calls telling us they do/don't till want it and when it will be in.  In case it sounds mean that we cut off the waiting list...Each phone call takes about 3 minutes and when you  have 100+ phone calls to make, it is a full day of labor just for the phone calls (we don't get extra labor from our company for phone calls like this).  We have had a lot of customers tell us they are on 5 or more waiting lists, so at least 4 pharmacies are going to waste time trying to get a hold of them to come in.  That is why we cut if off.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, SKL said:

Oh man, I had that when I was around 30.  I wasn't aware of any cure at the time, so I suffered for close to 3 months.  I'm just glad to know it can be cured now.

I wasn't allowed near my niece for 2 years, and I know how hard that is too.  It sucks, but hopefully the time will fly.

I was curious so I looked up the antiviral. Apparently it's been around for a while but it doesn't seem like the generic has been available that long. It's possible it was really expensive when you had shingles and might not have been a standard treatment then.

When I was teaching one of the older teachers in my department got shingles and I don't remember her getting any treatment (this was in the 90s). I do remember that she was out for about a month and said it was really painful. She also had a flare up a few months later.

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

59 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I asked when I went to pick up my prescriptions and yes, it's been back ordered for months. Dh was thinking he should get the vaccine but it's doubtful he'll be able to find a pharmacy that has it. I'm not sure if his doctor does. The pharmacist told me it's a manufacturer issue - they can't keep up with the demand.

39 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I remember reading that people who had the chicken pox vax can get shingles, too. The vac hasn't been around long enough to know how much it'll cut the shingles rate. (Experts currently say that shingles will be rare in the future because of the two vaxes. But, no long term studies yet because both are fairly new.)

Ds had the vaccine in 1998 at just over a year old. He got shingles when he was 5, before he got his booster vaccine. Fortunately it was a mild case and he hasn't had a recurrence but at the time I couldn't believe that my kid was in the approximately 1% who get shingles from the vaccine.

59 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Yeah, apparently they can't make enough to keep up with the demand. It's being recommended for those age 50 and up and you need to get two doses. I read that some people have been able to get the first dose, but then aren't able to get the second dose because it's sold out.

Our local pharmacy has been out of the vaccine.  I saw a sign yesterday advertising the vaccine, so I asked and they said that they do not expect any more until sometime after the first of the year.  

That was interesting information @Tap. Thank you.

And OMG these pills are huge! If you've ever had those really big antibiotic pills, add about half an inch to their size! Fortunately they seem to have a coating that helps them go down easily. I just have to be sure to point them in the right direction. ?

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

I’m sorry! I’m glad you found out quickly so hopefully you haven’t exposed your precious granddaughter. 

We visited with them Saturday and the first symptom showed up Monday. The doctor said contact with the blister (or if I had touched the blister then touched her) is needed for contagion so thankfully there wasn't any way for her to have been exposed Saturday. Plus we wash our hands thoroughly and use hand sanitizer before holding her. No one can kiss her on her face. If you just can't help yourself you can kiss the top of her head (of course we do). You can't imagine how hard it is not to kiss her on the face! They just can't take the chance on her getting sick and having the surgery postponed. Besides the fact that they met their deductible for this year and don't want it pushed to next year, she's scheduled for it at the ideal age according to her ped. cardiologist.

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

The doctor seems to think I should be good by Thanksgiving. I hope so. I really want to be able to see her before her surgery, which is December 13th. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

I'm so sorry about the shingles!  

I've been trying to get the Shingrix vaccine for months.  Our pharmacy told me to call every day for a while because they didn't know when they would get shipments in and, when they did, they would only get six at a time.  About a month ago they said they won't get any in until after January 2019.

• Sad 1

I had shingles last year and figured out what it was on the first day. I went to Urgent Care immediately, and she had to look a few times before she decided that I was right, because with just a few spots, it could easily be mistaken for another kind of rash. My case remained very mild and didn't spread much, which I attributed to being able to start the meds immediately, though, who knows, perhaps it would have just been a mild case anyway. But I like to think getting a quick diagnosis helped.

I hope yours remains mild, as well. Sorry you can't visit the baby. I would hate that!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jdahlquist said:

Our local pharmacy has been out of the vaccine.  I saw a sign yesterday advertising the vaccine, so I asked and they said that they do not expect any more until sometime after the first of the year.  

I've been seeing it advertised at local pharmacies too, which is why I started thinking about getting it. I don't think they should be giving people the impression that it's available by putting it on their marquees. 

13 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I had shingles last year and figured out what it was on the first day. I went to Urgent Care immediately, and she had to look a few times before she decided that I was right, because with just a few spots, it could easily be mistaken for another kind of rash. My case remained very mild and didn't spread much, which I attributed to being able to start the meds immediately, though, who knows, perhaps it would have just been a mild case anyway. But I like to think getting a quick diagnosis helped.

I hope yours remains mild, as well. Sorry you can't visit the baby. I would hate that!!

I'm hoping that this will be true for me too. If I hadn't had this appointment already scheduled I don't know how long I would have waited before seeing a doctor. As it is I had been putting some After Bite insect relief stuff on, which probably wasn't a good idea. I was still thinking I had been bitten by something and reacted badly. We have a lot of weird insects here, plus I do tend to react badly to bites, so it was normal for me to think that's what was going on. Dh and I had gone on a nature walk Sunday morning too, so the timing for a bite was right. Call it serendipity, coincidence, or just plain luck that my annual dermatologist appointment was today, only a few days after the first spot appeared.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've been seeing it advertised at local pharmacies too, which is why I started thinking about getting it. I don't think they should be giving people the impression that it's available by putting it on their marquees. 

I'm hoping that this will be true for me too. If I hadn't had this appointment already scheduled I don't know how long I would have waited before seeing a doctor. As it is I had been putting some After Bite insect relief stuff on, which probably wasn't a good idea. I was still thinking I had been bitten by something and reacted badly. We have a lot of weird insects here, plus I do tend to react badly to bites, so it was normal for me to think that's what was going on. Dh and I had gone on a nature walk Sunday morning too, so the timing for a bite was right. Call it serendipity, coincidence, or just plain luck that my annual dermatologist appointment was today, only a few days after the first spot appeared.

The advertising is paid for by GSK, so the pharmacies can't remove it.  It is a contract to have a certain amount of signage up whether or not we have it in stock, because we do sell it.  The contracts are all signed before the shortage occurred but honestly the pharmacy doesn't want it removed anyways.  Advertising isn't just for 'at that moment' it is to let people know that when they are ready for it (and it is available) we are a place they can get it. 

It is the same reason stores put out snow suits in October when it is 60 out.  That way, when it is December and you actually need a snow suit, you thing "I saw snow suits at JCP in October, lets go there and get one"

• Like 2

Hugs!  I have been talking about getting the vaccine and DH keeps urging me to wait for the new one to be available .  A dear friend, who is an incredibly shy older bachelor had shingles two years ago.  He doesn’t have internet so I did all his research for him and learned more then I wanted to know.  Until his prescription was delivered I gave him a tube of the high concentration zinc oxide that is sold at Walgreens which had helped with the kids chicken pox ( I always carry a couple back to the UK).  He found that it bought more relief then the prescribed cream when it finally arrived with the pills. FWIW  Three weeks was pretty much the duration......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's funny that I've been seeing ads for the vaccine lately at local pharmacies and have been thinking I should get it, but it was just one of those things you think about but don't act upon. I'm from the generation before the chicken pox vaccine was available and therefore we're susceptible to getting shingles since most of us had the chicken pox. 

The other day a weird bite-like bump appeared on my leg. Within a day another one appeared. Last night they both had blisters in the center. As it happened I had an annual skin check at the dermatologist scheduled for today, so I showed the doctor. She said it's presenting classically. I'll have an anti-viral to take for 7 days and ointment to relieve pain as needed. I'm waiting for the pharmacy to text me that they're ready.

The worst part is I can't be around my granddaughter Emma! ? Not only is she too young to have been vaccinated yet, she has a heart valve defect (a common one among babies with Down Syndrome) and her open heart surgery is scheduled for mid December. She absolutely can't get sick. Not only will it postpone the surgery, it could be dangerous for her. The doctor said to stay away from her for three weeks after the last blister/sore goes away. In fact I shouldn't be around the elderly or anyone too young to have been vaccinated.

If you had chicken pox and are old enough to get the shingles vaccine, consider getting it. Or take a chance, like I did. ? 

This was the very first thing I thought of when I saw that it was you who started this thread.  ?

I hope you recover quickly!

And may Emma's heart surgery be a complete success!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tap said:

The advertising is paid for by GSK, so the pharmacies can't remove it.  It is a contract to have a certain amount of signage up whether or not we have it in stock, because we do sell it.  The contracts are all signed before the shortage occurred but honestly the pharmacy doesn't want it removed anyways.  Advertising isn't just for 'at that moment' it is to let people know that when they are ready for it (and it is available) we are a place they can get it. 

It is the same reason stores put out snow suits in October when it is 60 out.  That way, when it is December and you actually need a snow suit, you thing "I saw snow suits at JCP in October, lets go there and get one"

This is interesting.  I knew my pharmacy had been out and then saw a big sign about it at the cash register when I went to pick up another prescription yesterday.  The pharmacy said, "They make us keep it up..."  I couldn't figure out who the "they" was.  She seemed extremely frustrated that she had to keep telling people, "Yeah the sign says 'ask your pharmacist..get it today...' but we don't have it"

I am so sorry, Kathy.    I know all about the pain even without getting the shingles because apparently, I get that pain too as a secondary to all my autoimmune diseases.  I had to go on a slow release gabetin because of it.  I really hope the anti-viral helps.

We did get the Shingrix first vaccine and are waiting for the second shot.  We are on a waiting list at the pharmacy we got our first shots.  I can't even get the other shot and neither can dh because of me (no live vaccine people near me).   I called about two weeks ago and we were down from being 90th on the list for the second shot to 30th. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tap said:

That's still not right. If GSK isn't keeping up their end of the deal they shouldn't require pharmacies to do the advertising for something they can't provide. I'm sure the contract says otherwise but that doesn't make it right.

I am so sorry you have this.  I got it a couple of years ago and saw the dr and started medication right away.  I was told I only had to stay away from young children and the elderly until my bumps crusted over, which irc, was told that would be 24 hours.  I started feeling better as soon as I started the prescription, I was amazed.  Hopefully you recover just as quickly so you can be around your gd.  The rash went away fast, but the fatigue stuck around along time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

That was interesting information @Tap. Thank you.

And OMG these pills are huge! If you've ever had those really big antibiotic pills, add about half an inch to their size! Fortunately they seem to have a coating that helps them go down easily. I just have to be sure to point them in the right direction. ?

You don't have to have had chicken pox to get shingles--you can get the chicken pox vaccine, not get the chicken pox, and still get shingles. I posted about this over the summer when my 23 yodd came down with and was diagnosed with shingles and got great answers here. Unfortunately, my dd did not have a rash and waited before going to the doctor.

(((Kathy))), the pills are huge, yes. My dd can't take pills like that, she ended up cutting them up. While the pharmacist told her she shouldn't, for her, it came down to cutting them up and taking them or not taking them at all.

I hope you are feeling better quickly and that the rash clears quickly.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

You don't have to have had chicken pox to get shingles--you can get the chicken pox vaccine, not get the chicken pox, and still get shingles. I posted about this over the summer when my 23 yodd came down with and was diagnosed with shingles and got great answers here. Unfortunately, my dd did not have a rash and waited before going to the doctor.

(((Kathy))), the pills are huge, yes. My dd can't take pills like that, she ended up cutting them up. While the pharmacist told her she shouldn't, for her, it came down to cutting them up and taking them or not taking them at all.

I hope you are feeling better quickly and that the rash clears quickly.

I posted upthread that ds got shingles from the vaccine when he was five. He had the vaccine at just over a year old and hadn't had a booster yet. I don't remember if they were recommending a booster at that time. Anyway, it's extremely rare, around 1%, so while it's possible to get shingles from the vaccine it's more common to get it from having had the chicken pox. 

When I saw the size of the pills I thought about people who have trouble taking pills. It's hard enough when you don't have that issue. I don't remember ds having to take them though I also don't recall what the treatment was in 2002. It might have been different for a child but I've forgotten what they did for him. 

• Like 1

I had shingles when my second dd was 9 months old (I blame sleepless nights nursing for running down my immune system). I was diagnosed within 48 hours after noticing the weird one-sided rash on my abdomen and got the antiviral medicine. I never had any pain or any other symptoms and it went away quickly. I was told it was okay to continue nursing my dd as she would have to come in contact with the blisters for any chance of getting chicken pox from me and that was easily avoided. She never got it. But I agree in your situation to just stay away from Emma as the consequences are so high even if the risk is small.

I'm so sorry. Shingles aren't fun, but I hope you recover quickly.

I had them a year ago.  I first noticed a rash near one eye, but since I had been pulling weeds, I thought that maybe I had touched poison ivy and then reached up to brush hair away from my eyes.  Soon after I noticed it, I spent a whole weekend in ICU with my niece. I divided my time between being near her in ICU and taking care of her young children. After spending two days with them, I suddenly realized that I had shingles and could potentially have exposed everyone in the ICU.  Ugh. 

• Sad 1

For someone with Shingles, while their is the risk of spreading it to others. Their is also the risk of spreading it over oneself?
When Shingles is contracted, the Zoster virus starts on the surface of the skin. Then penetrates the skin and locates the nearest Nerve.
Our Nerves operate in groups, and extend from 'nerve centres' called Ganglions.
These Ganglions are important, as the Zoster virus will travel along the Nerve to the Ganglion.
Where it takes up 'permanent residence', for the rest of one's life.
Most of the time, it remains dormant. But can be reactivated at any time, due to stress or a deficient immune system.
When re-activated, it will travel from the Ganglion.  Back up to the area of its initial entry point.  Causing blisters.

But importantly, it is limited to this initial entry point!
Unless one 're-infects oneself'?
Which simply involves, touching a Blister and picking up the Virus on the finger/s. Then touching oneself anywhere else?
Where the Zoster Virus will use this as a new 'entry point'.. To find another Nerve, and take up residence in another Nerve Ganglion.
So that basically, one has spread the Shingles to another area.  That can be reactivated.

Though something that I would highlight, is the danger of having touched a "'Blister', and then touching ones face?
Where we have a whole range of nerves, that control muscles around our jaw, mouth and eyes.
Which all connect to a Ganglion called the 'Trigeminal Ganglion'. Located at the base of the brain.
Where simply rubbing one's eyes, could transfer the Virus to this Ganglion?
Or rubbing the tip of ones nose, and airborne reinfection as one breathes in through the nose.

But Shingles can have a far greater effect, if it enters the nerves around the eyes?
While the Zoster virus will often inflame the nerve, causing pain.
In the head, it also enters certain 'Arteries'.  Causing inflammation in the 'walls of the arteries'.  This inflammation, cuts off the blood flow.  To the muscles around and within the eyes. Which initially causes great pain, due to the swelling within the front of the head.   But if the swelling continues, then it can result in permanent Blindness.

So that if one has Shingles?  Then when Blisters occur? Take great care, not to spread the Virus to any other nerves!

8 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I had shingles when my second dd was 9 months old (I blame sleepless nights nursing for running down my immune system). I was diagnosed within 48 hours after noticing the weird one-sided rash on my abdomen and got the antiviral medicine. I never had any pain or any other symptoms and it went away quickly. I was told it was okay to continue nursing my dd as she would have to come in contact with the blisters for any chance of getting chicken pox from me and that was easily avoided. She never got it. But I agree in your situation to just stay away from Emma as the consequences are so high even if the risk is small.

I don't really have the other symptoms either. I'm a little more tired than usual but I had a sleepless night the other night. I don't feel fatigued. The pain is minimal. I'm glad it was caught quickly. The doctor did say it might get worse before it gets better and that the rash might spread, but so far it hasn't.

• Like 3

My husband got shingles several years ago and he was miserable. He is not a complainer and after I saw how much pain he was in,  I was determined to do everything I could to help myself not get the shingles.

Three weeks ago, I created a list of the pharmacies in my area I was willing to travel to and called them to see if they had the vaccine in stock. I had already called 5 pharmacies that didn't have it in stock, when I hit on one that had it. It was a small pharmacy that isn't usually very busy and I was there in the time it took me to drive. I wasn't about to miss the opportunity.  I was given an appointment slip to get my second shot in two months with the pharmacist's name listed on it. It seems like that will make me more "official" and I can get the 2nd shot before other people getting the first shot. I'm not planning on missing that!

When the original shingles vaccine come out a few years ago, I read an article that made reference to people getting shingles at church, out shopping, movies, etc.. Older people may not realize they have shingles or they don't realize how contagious it is and how harmful it can be to others. They want to go to church, get groceries, etc. so, they go out, and other people get the shingles. 

Edited by Sallie Mae
clarify
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Sallie Mae said:

SNIP

When the original shingles vaccine come out a few years ago, I read an article that made reference to people getting shingles at church, out shopping, movies, etc.. Older people may not realize they have shingles or they don't realize how contagious it is and how harmful it can be to others. They want to go to church, get groceries, etc. so, they go out, and other people get the shingles. 

Just to clarify....you can not get shingles from someone with shingles.

Shingles is the reactivation of the chickenpox virus within the patients own body.  If someone has shingles they can not spread shingles. It is possible that they can spread chickenpox but, only to people who are not already immune to chickenpox. Someone with shingles is much less likely to spread the virus than someone with active chicken pox is, and is even less contagious if the rash is covered and the patient is proactive in hand washing. It can be spread to:

1. people who have never had chickenpox and have not been vaccinated
  2. people who are pregnant (due to unborn baby's lack of immunity) are considered high risk
  3. people who have a compromised immune system who have never had chickenpox are also considered high-risk.

People who are at risk of chicken pox get the chicken pox vaccine.

People get the shingles vaccine if they:

1. already have had chicken pox,
  2. have had the chicken pox vaccine,
  3. or have a positive titer test for chicken pox.

It is given to prevent (or reduce they symptoms of) reactivation of the chickenpox virus in their own body. It is not to keep from catching shingles from someone else.

FYI: the zostavax vaccine is basically a really strong chicken pox shot (10-14x stronger if I remember right).  Shingrix is just a part of the virus and is not live. They are all vaccinations for the same virus, just specialized for the immune systems of younger vs older populations.

ETA: changed formatting, minor words and added last paragraph.  

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

I had shingles in 2016 I think it was. I did get the vax  on about the 3rd day (the dr. wished I had gotten in sooner).  I also got acupuncture treatments for it, which I think helped, as my case was pretty mild and some of the blisters went away just after treatment.   I do recall now how tired I was for several months afterwards, so be prepared for that. When I went places, I often had to sit in the car upon getting there to close my eyes for 10-15 minutes before going in, and resting frequently through the day. Rest alot, take care of yourself and eat well!

• Like 1

Tap, thank you for the correction. My concern was with spreading chickenpox. In our community, there are many families that have not received any vaccinations, so that is a possibility. I also seem to have a "welcome" mat out that invites germs to visit me on a regular basis. With that in mind, I wanted do what I could to help myself.