Menu

totally petty (nail related) vent

ktgrok

We are cutting back on expenses. Food is a huge budget killer, but I also get my nails done every 3-4 weeks. I had been getting the dip powder stuff...it's basically a soak off acrylic powder. I LOVE it. My nails are so hard with it, I can use them as tools. And they look nice the whole time (well, other than the area that is growing out). They should be replaced every 2-3 weeks but I usually go a full 4 (although they look kind of cruddy and are annoying me that fourth week). They cost $30 plus tip. Then I like to get a pedicure about once a month or so, so that's another $20 plus tip (at a different, cheaper place). The cheap place doesn't do the dip nails. Then eyebrow waxing as needed. 

I am not a girly girl, but really like having nice looking nails. I feel more confident with them. If I don't do acrylic or the powder they are weak and rip and break and hurt unless I keep them trimmed super super super short and even then they still do. And of course, right now they are weaker from having the acrylic stuff for so long. 

I cut them super short, filed down the areas that had broken, and painted them. Looked ok. That was yesterday. Today the polish is all chipped and they have ragged edges where they are breaking again :(

I may compromise and go back to regular acrylic, which is half as much. I used to do gel polish on those, which took the cost back up but I hear regular polish lasts well on acrylics. Sometimes acrylics hurt my hands the next day, from the liquid/powder epoxy drying and shrinking, but it's half the cost. 

Or just don't paint them for a while (I can't keep up with the chips) and leave them alone. Bleh. 

I know, stupid. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug: I know it is hard to give up something that makes you feel better mentally.   

Maybe going cold turkey might help.  I say that because something less than what you are used to may be just as annoying as not having it done at all.  

And maybe it would help to think of this as sort of like getting over an addiction?  At least that was kind of my approach when I was in a similar scenario, although with a different thing.  I realized that the hardest days would be right after I stopped.  I went cold turkey, braced myself for a few weeks of mental stress/irritation ("withdrawal") then moved past it and realized it wasn't as important to me in the long run as I had made it out to be.   I realize this is nothing like a true addiction but it helped my brain with moving through the tough days to sort of accept that it would be hard, not feel bad about it really being hard, and just march my way through those days.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

So, over $100 per month to feel confident?  $1200 per year?

Do you think others are looking at your nails and eyebrows and judging (they can't see your feet...)?

Or are you justifying this for some other reason?

I dunno--I am not a girlie girl and have never noticed others' nails, dress in men's clothing and feel pretty darn confident.

• Like 8

I can’t be certain, but I think you don’t do a lot for yourself and I really believe you deserve the small monthly cost of having nice fingernails. If it’s something that makes you feel awkward or bad about yourself, then It’s worth $30 (+tip) to have confidence and feel good when dealing with people. Save costs and ditch the pedicure since nobody will see, and forgethe eyebrows because nobody really cares or notices that :p

Life is hard, don’t make it more difficult.

• Like 8

When we were in danger of not having enough money, I started going to a lower cost hair dresser.  Not as nice an experience but yes, it is cheaper.  I don't have painted nails but I think you should do it yourself and save the money.  We aren't so short of money and I don't even spend that kind of money per month with grooming.

• Like 1

Life is hard, don’t make it more difficult.

I’m with Ailaena on this. Sometimes it’s about more than just the money. Go with the acrylics.

ETA: Everything I know about acrylics I learned from Suzie on YouTube so take this fwiw, but some of the discomfort can be due to the way the acrylic is applied. A better nail technician maybe?

Edited by mamaraby

My grandmother tried giving up her acrylic nails. She'd been getting them for years. She trimmed her nails and put on several coats of some type of clear hardening polish. Sorry I don't remember exactly. I have no idea if she stuck with that. She's always been pampered with a weekly hair appointment, manicures and pedicures. And I mean years! She did try to make some changes because it's hard for her to get out of the house sometimes. She's 95 afterall. I think she lasted about a month and then went back to her routine. It makes her feel pretty and happy.

Don't be all or nothing. I'd drop the eyebrow waxing and pedicures and go with the cheaper acrylic nails and use your own polish that you can touch up daily if need be.

• Like 2

I would skimp somewhere else and keep getting my nails done, but if you are looking for an alternative, try Incoco nail strips. I buy them online. They often have sales.

I keep my nails shortish/professional length and am not delicate with them in any way. They last a good 2 weeks and are protective/strengthening as well. When I used to polish my nails, they chipped immediately, often the same day. Once a week or so, I apply a shiny top coat, which can stretch it 3 weeks.

• Like 2

I cannot even fathom spending that kind of money on superficial grooming stuff. That's more than I spend on grooming supplies for my entire household. DH will go for a professional shave 2-3 times a year. I usually take the kids for a professional cut in August when school starts. I haven't paid for either for myself in years. That's even more than I spend on dry cleaning, and I have to wear suits for work at least some of the time whether I like it or not.

• Like 5

So, over $100 per month to feel confident?  $1200 per year?

Do you think others are looking at your nails and eyebrows and judging (they can't see your feet...)?

Or are you justifying this for some other reason?

I dunno--I am not a girlie girl and have never noticed others' nails, dress in men's clothing and feel pretty darn confident.

I'm bad at math but, no? Even tipping well thats $40 for nails monthly, $30 for pedicure less than monthly.. probably every 6-8 weeks, and $8 extra if i do eyebrows whis is maybe every 2-3 months. So not over $100 monthly.  But still pricey.

I'm bad at math but, no? Even tipping well thats $40 for nails monthly, $30 for pedicure less than monthly.. probably every 6-8 weeks, and $8 extra if i do eyebrows whis is maybe every 2-3 months. So not over $100 monthly. But still pricey.

I would keep the mani and do the pedi myself. Toes seem so much more forgiving! $3/month for eyebrows hardly even counts. One less x at the cash register.
  • Like 1

If I recall correctly, you live in Florida, so I’m guessing you might be wearing open toed shoes much of the year. If that’s the case, I’d stay with the pedi, as sandals can be rough on feet over the long run.

I’ve never had either a mani or a pedi and have no desire to, money is not the issue. But if I was going to do either, it would definitely be the pedicure, because if done right, it can help with foot health. Personally, the only manicures I’ve ever seen that I liked were men’s, as no polish or fake nails were involved.

• Like 3

My guess is you could make a much bigger impact in the food department. If you can cut enough expense there, maybe the nails can be your reward. I don't think spending $40-50 a month on something you enjoy and makes you feel good about yourself is excessive. As long as you can afford it, of course.

I am focusing a lot on self care this year though. I realize that can take different forms for different people. I am tired of always putting myself and my needs and wants last. I am kind of tired of the mother=martyr syndrome I have developed over the last ten years. What is every one else giving up? Are the kids having to cut out anything? Your husband? Or just you? I have decided the last few months that I am worthy of treating myself from time to time to something that brings me some joy.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

If I recall correctly, you live in Florida, so I’m guessing you might be wearing open toed shoes much of the year. If that’s the case, I’d stay with the pedi, as sandals can be rough on feet over the long run.

I’ve never had either a mani or a pedi and have no desire to, money is not the issue. But if I was going to do either, it would definitely be the pedicure, because if done right, it can help with foot health. Personally, the only manicures I’ve ever seen that I liked were men’s, as no polish or fake nails were involved.

Yes, sandals for probably 350 days a year:)  Or barefoot. Or open toed shoes at church, etc. 

I may try my own pedi sometimes, and go in quarterly? At least people are looking at toes from a distance, lol. 

Also, I wonder if the doing nails thing is regional? There is a nail salon in EVERY strip mall or plaza, two in the mall, etc. Done nails are very very common here. 

Of course, most of my friends are hippies who don't get manicures...but the ladies at church and stuff do. 

Ok, so it seems there is a place right around the corner, that people seem to like according to the local Facebook group, that does a full set for under $20 and then fills are only $12. If I stick to regular polish instead of gel, that is a lot cheaper than the $30 for dip. (why dip costs more I have no idea, it takes LESS skill!)

I COULD try to do dip nails at home...i can get a kit for around $30 or so...but I'm not real good with hand eye coordination, lol. I have a feeling it would look bad and then I'd be out the money and have ugly nails. 

• Like 2

My daughter got a foot bath thing for Christmas, I'm going to ask to borrow it tonight and do a self pedicure. Polish lasts well on my toes, so that is at least worth the time. i spent half an hour on my nails or more yesterday and have chipped polish today :(

I’ve never had either a mani or a pedi and have no desire to, money is not the issue.

Thank you! I'm glad to know I'm not alone. ;)

The idea of having anyone messing with my hands or feet icks me out. I suppose if I live long enough I'll maybe become one of those old ladies who can no longer manage to trim her toenails and then I'll have to have them done. But until I HAVE to . ..  no way.

• Like 7

I've heard that threading works better than waxing for eyebrows, and does not have to be done as often. Not sure whether that would save money. I would probably just cultivate the Frida Kahlo approach.

I've heard there can be sanitation issues with threading.

So...I'm showing my totally non-girlie ignorance here.

What kind of place does one go to to get one's eyebrows waxed?

Because I might actually like to try that some time.

Usually the nail salon, or a hair salon. Even the super cuts type places usually do it. Or the Walmart near me has a brow place now, that just does waxing and threading. Threading takes longer so I won't do it...pain is not my friend, so I want it over quick. 

• Like 1

Well, if it's just a matter of wanting to cut costs, I'd see what you can give up that costs about the same but isn't as important to you (daily coffee drink or something, I dunno).  

If it's a matter of needing to cut costs, as in you don't really have the $70/month to spare, I'd try to find something else that is free to make yourself feel confident, separate of how your nails look.

So for instance, I have an unruly unibrow, I bite my nails (and don't polish or whatever), and I have never done anything to my toenails or feet in my life.  I wear sandals (in the high country in Colorado) 7-8 months a year.

But I don't feel un-confident.  My self-confidence (now that I stop to think about it) is rooted in my competence at running our small business, having had 6 healthy and happy children, relative physical fitness, intelligence, my nice hair (that I cut myself and don't use products on and has some gray coming in at 33 - but I still like it!), and my clothes (not designer or name brand or whatever but I like them).  When I was younger, I think more of my self-confidence was based on beauty, because I was more beautiful (as most women are at 20 vs 33), but as I've aged other things have replaced that as sources of self-confidence - I am wiser and more competent at life than I was at 20 :)

• Like 3

So...I'm showing my totally non-girlie ignorance here.

What kind of place does one go to to get one's eyebrows waxed?

Because I might actually like to try that some time.

I get mine threaded in our local Indian strip mall, Patel Plaza. We have them in every ethnic spot in the city, little Vietnam, little Africa, Koreatown, etc. Large ethnic populations, though. Indiatown just is my closest.

• Like 2

I've heard that threading works better than waxing for eyebrows, and does not have to be done as often. Not sure whether that would save money. I would probably just cultivate the Frida Kahlo approach.

According to my friend who loves threading, it really depends on the person if it lasts longer than waxing. If you are the type of person who grows hair fast, then you will come just as often.

I didn't embrace even the tiniest bit of girly until my 30s, and it's sort of amazing how I like it. Like, I love it. It has messed with all sorts of stereotypes I had in my head about what "smart girls" or "good girls" or whatever did. Turns out, all kinds of girls like beauty supplies and pedicures and eyebrows.

And on the flipside, not liking it doesn't turn people into a smart girl. :)

Sounds silly, but one of those things that forced me to face my unconscious biases.

• Like 4

Are you buying good polish? We're hardcore diy nail polish people in this house; dd has a pretty seriously huge collection of polish and sometimes does really fancy nail art.  I don't find our stuff chips or peels. Dd can't wear it in nursing school but she often wears it when doing wildlife rescue stuff and that is hardcore hands on with metal cages, dishes, animals and bird beaks scraping and scratching at her. 

Butter London base & top coats are the best in her opinion. Zoya comes up as a close second. 

I have Butter London in a beautiful grey blue on right now & it's going on 5 days and just starting to show wear.  

Color Club, China Glaze, Zoya are at the cheaper but high quality end. aEngland and Butter London are a bit more pricey. I also have some Orly that I like. 

China Glaze tends to rub down rather than chip and that shows less. Glitters don't show wear as much (but they're a pita to take off...; but so pretty! LOL) 

Are you buying good polish? We're hardcore diy nail polish people in this house; dd has a pretty seriously huge collection of polish and sometimes does really fancy nail art. I don't find our stuff chips or peels. Dd can't wear it in nursing school but she often wears it when doing wildlife rescue stuff and that is hardcore hands on with metal cages, dishes, animals and bird beaks scraping and scratching at her.

Butter London base & top coats are the best in her opinion. Zoya comes up as a close second.

I have Butter London in a beautiful grey blue on right now & it's going on 5 days and just starting to show wear.

Color Club, China Glaze, Zoya are at the cheaper but high quality end. aEngland and Butter London are a bit more pricey. I also have some Orly that I like.

China Glaze tends to rub down rather than chip and that shows less. Glitters don't show wear as much (but they're a pita to take off...; but so pretty! LOL)

Reading this post makes me want to paint my toes. Not a fan of fingernails being painted

• Like 1

Are you buying good polish? We're hardcore diy nail polish people in this house; dd has a pretty seriously huge collection of polish and sometimes does really fancy nail art. I don't find our stuff chips or peels. Dd can't wear it in nursing school but she often wears it when doing wildlife rescue stuff and that is hardcore hands on with metal cages, dishes, animals and bird beaks scraping and scratching at her.

Love Butter polishes. They last well with the top coat on the toes for a few weeks.

• Like 1

I didn't embrace even the tiniest bit of girly until my 30s, and it's sort of amazing how I like it. Like, I love it. It has messed with all sorts of stereotypes I had in my head about what "smart girls" or "good girls" or whatever did. Turns out, all kinds of girls like beauty supplies and pedicures and eyebrows.

And on the flipside, not liking it doesn't turn people into a smart girl. :)

Sounds silly, but one of those things that forced me to face my unconscious biases.

Yes! I didn't start doing this stuff until about a year or o ago? Maybe a bit longer. After I had bariatric surgery. 

SaveSave

This is funny, because I've been contemplating starting getting my nails done monthly as part of my "take care of myself" goals for this year.  I have a tiny violin studio with just 4 students.  The little money that I make from that just gets absorbed into the family budget - it's not a huge amount, but it is a nice little bit of pocket money.  I've been thinking I could use some of that to have my nails done each month.  Just a little something to show that I am taking care of myself... 

My nails are short (violin teacher) but I love the way they look when they have the lacquer paint.

May look into the Butter London polishes!  

All this to say - cut the nail polishes if you feel it, but if you decide to keep doing it, I say do it with no guilt!!

• Like 1

DD19 does her own nails and uses Zoya.  We buy it at Ulta.  She also has some Butter of London that she likes but predominantly buys Zoya. It is regular polish and lasts her about a week or so.  She has tried several brands and one thing that she likes about Zoya is the brush.  She hates essie (brand) for the same reason....the brush. LOL   

She gets acrylics about 2x per year. She never has them filled.  They are a one shot, spoiling-herself, purchase. Then they come off until she decides they are worth it again.  She likes this method so they don't just become the norm to her. This way they remain a treat.  Before she goes in to get them done, she will search on Pinterest or other boards so she gets exactly what she wants instead of just whatever comes to mind in the moment. I think it is a pretty good system. 

• Like 1

My vote, paint your own toes and budget for the nails and eyebrows you want. Totally worth it and that small amount won’t help out the finances that much.

• Like 1

Maize--I go to the brow bar at Ulta quarterly. It's $18 and I pay a $3 tip. I touch up in between appointments--I would go every six weeks otherwise.

I wonder if I could persuade DD to do that (especially if it's my treat). She recently started tweezing her eyebrows and goes waaaaay too far IMO. I keep trying to get her to do less, but she doesn't listen. Maybe she would leave them alone if a professional did them. 

When you say "touch up between appointments" do you mean you tweeze them when they start to grow in? 

(I'm totally clueless about eyebrows — mine are sparse/blonde/invisible, and I wear glasses that hide them anyway).

• Like 1

I wonder if I could persuade DD to do that (especially if it's my treat). She recently started tweezing her eyebrows and goes waaaaay too far IMO. I keep trying to get her to do less, but she doesn't listen. Maybe she would leave them alone if a professional did them. 

When you say "touch up between appointments" do you mean you tweeze them when they start to grow in? 

(I'm totally clueless about eyebrows — mine are sparse/blonde/invisible, and I wear glasses that hide them anyway).

Yes!  Do this for your dd.  I overplucked through high school and college and totally regret it.  I've been trying to regrow the inner ends of my eyebrows for forever!  Get the pro to show her how to use a pencil to see where the eyebrow should begin and end.   Heavier brows are really in now.  There is a certain thrill involved in plucking an eyebrow hair (LOL) that leads some of us to go overboard.  

I started rehabilitating my poor brows when I found a brow *professional* sort of by chance.  She gave me a great brow pep talk and will point out stray hairs and say, "I know that looks like a stray, but DON'T PLUCK IT!!!  It's part of the brow and you just need hairs to fill in."  If you keep plucking the "strays", your brows just end up smaller and thinner because more and more hairs seem to be wandering off your brow.  

My brows are the ONLY beauty item I spend any money on.  (Aside from a hair cut about 2-3x a year).  I allow myself this little luxury because it really does make me feel good.  I don't wear any makeup, so I want to maximize my natural features, not to mention that my brow pro is pleasant and kind and always gives me my brow pep talk when I need it.  :-D  I go 3-4x a year.  

• Like 1

Don't be all or nothing. I'd drop the eyebrow waxing and pedicures and go with the cheaper acrylic nails and use your own polish that you can touch up daily if need be.

That's probably a good compromise. 

I have never had fake nails, but I do try painting mine once in a while at home and then I always wonder why I bothered - they end up chipped the next day. But, what I think does look nice and is more easily maintained is clear polish. What if you took a break from the nails for three months and in that time tried just using a strengthening clear polish? It's easy to put on, mistakes are invisible, and you can touch up daily if you want to. If your nails haven't improved in strength and still look awful to you in 3 months then I'd try the cheaper nails. 

Yes!  Do this for your dd.  I overplucked through high school and college and totally regret it.  I've been trying to regrow the inner ends of my eyebrows for forever!  Get the pro to show her how to use a pencil to see where the eyebrow should begin and end.   Heavier brows are really in now.  There is a certain thrill involved in plucking an eyebrow hair (LOL) that leads some of us to go overboard.  

I started rehabilitating my poor brows when I found a brow *professional* sort of by chance.  She gave me a great brow pep talk and will point out stray hairs and say, "I know that looks like a stray, but DON'T PLUCK IT!!!  It's part of the brow and you just need hairs to fill in."  If you keep plucking the "strays", your brows just end up smaller and thinner because more and more hairs seem to be wandering off your brow.  

My brows are the ONLY beauty item I spend any money on.  (Aside from a hair cut about 2-3x a year).  I allow myself this little luxury because it really does make me feel good.  I don't wear any makeup, so I want to maximize my natural features, not to mention that my brow pro is pleasant and kind and always gives me my brow pep talk when I need it.  :-D  I go 3-4x a year.  

I'm in the "previously over plucked" camp as well. What kind of brow professional do you go to? I've been trying to grow out my brows and they've definitely improved, but I wonder if I'm still plucking too much. I haven't gone to anyone because I keep thinking the last thing I need to do is lose more brow. 

I'm in the "previously over plucked" camp as well. What kind of brow professional do you go to? I've been trying to grow out my brows and they've definitely improved, but I wonder if I'm still plucking too much. I haven't gone to anyone because I keep thinking the last thing I need to do is lose more brow. 

Well I found her pretty randomly, just asked for local recommendations.  If you google eleni eyebrows, you'll find her.  She might be willing to consult by Skype.  :-D  

She tries to work with the face in front of her, rather than follow any particular trend or pre-determined shape.  She deals a lot with the perpetually over-plucked... I think that's a pretty common things since really thin brows were in style for so long.  

I'd look for someone who only does brows... I think the supercuts type people are mostly just following a formulaic approach or going with the shape that's trending.    

I don't understand when people say to just do it anyway, because if you don't have the extra money, you don't have the extra money.  On the other hand, I can see trying hard to rearrange the budget to get a good haircut now and then, but that seems more noticeable to me.  Do people really notice nails?  I guess I'd rather have short, plain nails than DIY nails that are constantly chipping and needing to be fixed.

I don't really understand the eyebrow thing either.  I know eyebrow waxing is popular now, but can't you just pluck them?  I've plucked my wild eyebrow hairs all my life and if you do it daily, it takes no time at all.

Anyway, I'm not judging.   :)  I'd feel terrible if I had to give up good coffee!

• Like 5