Menu

totally petty (nail related) vent

ktgrok

Manged to get Hubby to watch the kids, and ran to get them done, but with old school acrylics, not the dip powder. That's my compromise. And no gel polish, just regular. First place I went was busy and couldn't take me, so I went to the salon inside Walmart...they do my pedicures and do a good job. Got a full set (cut very short) for $20 plus tip. Fills are going to be $15 plus tip, so half what I was paying for the dip powder stuff. I'll polish my own toenails tomorrow or whenever, and get my next pedicure whenever. Right now we are actually wearing closed toe shoes due to the weather, so not a rush.

Edited to add photo of before and after. I kept them 40bbf1ac96ead5f59ab2437eb3870a93.jpgsuper short this time! But nice and hard! I can scrape dried food off the table when wiping it, or whatever now...I need that, lol.) Polish is OPI My Private Jet.

Also, not quite as nice as gel polish...but plenty good enough! And it may be too soon to tell, but so far, my fingers are not sore at all!!! Normally the next day they hurt. I've heard that it can depend on the proportions they mix the acrylic in or something, so maybe this place won't hurt!

26229972_10155398286613666_9126734229434

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

Manged to get Hubby to watch the kids, and ran to get them done, but with old school acrylics, not the dip powder. That's my compromise. And no gel polish, just regular. First place I went was busy and couldn't take me, so I went to the salon inside Walmart...they do my pedicures and do a good job. Got a full set (cut very short) for $20 plus tip. Fills are going to be $15 plus tip, so half what I was paying for the dip powder stuff. I'll polish my own toenails tomorrow or whenever, and get my next pedicure whenever. Right now we are actually wearing closed toe shoes due to the weather, so not a rush. 

I'm glad you're finding a compromise that will work. All this nail talk and my intense nail biting habit that has ramped up lately, had me take the time and actually put wraps on my nails again. I'm looking forward to having no fingernail pain from the obsessive biting and it always makes me smile when I have something fun on my nails. But now I am going to ebay all the unused wraps I have because of financial goals, I still have enough partials to last a life type and then I even own nail polish if those run out. 

• Like 3

Y'all..they don't hurt!!!!! Now I'm angry about all the times I went to the other salon! It ALWAYS hurt they next day. A really painful, throbbing if you touched them, bruised feeling. I had read that it could be that the acrylic drying/curing/shrinking was causing the pain, and since I'm a sensitive type of person chalked it up to inevitable. 

But NO pain! And what's funny? The place I used to go that hurt me was a nicer, fancy type place. (free wine while you got your nails done, up to date movies shown on big screen TVs, a masseuse available, etc). The place I went last night, that didn't hurt me? The salon in Walmart, of all places! I already was a regular there for their pedicures...they do the best job of getting the callouses off. Now I'm really a loyal customer!!! The main reason I switched from acrylics to the twice as expensive SNS dipping powder was the pain!!!! 

• Like 6

I have picked my cuticles and sometimes my nails since I was a kid.  I was always embarrassed of my hands.  As I got older it was even worse, because now I had wrinkly AND picked on hands.  A friend convinced me to get acrylics, and I felt so much better.  I wear rings occasionally, which I never used to (except my wedding ring) because my hands were so awful. I put lotion on them now because since they are pretty I want to take better care of them instead of just avoiding looking at them.  I can make them last 4 weeks between fills.  Never want to go back. Yes I tried regular manicures, but they chip so fast on me and the picking would be even worse.  I don't pick with acrylics,

• Like 3

If it is just a little, I imagine that water would dry. And they don't stay on forever, I will be happy if they last a full week. That's not long enough to cause any real problems. With acrylics you can have issues too if they lift and get moisture under there, but that generally only happens if you don't go for fills often enough and just don't take care of them. I've never had an issue.

I have had an acrylic lift and water get under and a fungal nail infection start. I was getting regular fills (every 2.5-3 weeks) and the fungus was easily treated and stopped but the nail discoloration remains until it grows out. The fact that it happened more than once was one of the reasons I decided to discontinue acrylics. I also did not like the thicker nail feel and function. I get shellac polish now and it lasts about the same length of time. I like the feel better and do not have the fungal problems but it does not do as good a job protecting my nails from breaks and side splits and the maintenance cost is higher. Oh well, I guess everything has its compromises!

ETA: I always used regular polish when I had acrylics and it lasted fine without chipping. The regular polish helped keep down the cost of the fills. On my natural nails regular polish always started to chip in one day.

Edited by MFG
  • Like 1

My dip starter kit came yesterday. I didn't have a lot of time last night, so I just did the one nail with the split. It was so easy! And didn't smell up the house! And it seems to be as strong as acrylics and doesn't seem like it's going to peel off like every other at-home solution I've tried.

Katie, thank you so much. I'd never heard of dip nails before your post and I think this is going to be the solution I've been looking for.

Maybe I missed it, what brand is your kit?

Honestly? I'd be alarmed at what the acrylic stuff is doing to weaken my natural nails. I'd go short for a few months and polish daily with a clear nail strengthener.

I don't like long nails for myself anymore. Mine have been clean-short-natural for years now, with clear coat only. I tried growing and polishing them at one point last year, but I had a flashback to my 1980s working girl days! I'm sure yours are lovely, but seriously, consider giving them some time off to get healthy, and the positive effect on the budget will be a nice bonus.

I'd keep the pedicures. My toes have all the fun with colors and special treatment. Maybe stretch out the time between brow waxes with a little plucking at home.

• Like 1

Honestly? I'd be alarmed at what the acrylic stuff is doing to weaken my natural nails. I'd go short for a few months and polish daily with a clear nail strengthener.

I don't like long nails for myself anymore. Mine have been clean-short-natural for years now, with clear coat only. I tried growing and polishing them at one point last year, but I had a flashback to my 1980s working girl days! I'm sure yours are lovely, but seriously, consider giving them some time off to get healthy, and the positive effect on the budget will be a nice bonus.

I'd keep the pedicures. My toes have all the fun with colors and special treatment. Maybe stretch out the time between brow waxes with a little plucking at home.

If I could keep them short and healthy I would, but they were weak before I started doing the acrylic...it's why I started doing it. They rip, and end up below the quick which hurts. 

If I don't get pedicures at least somewhat regularly I end up with rough, calloused, scary feet that catch on the sheets in bed and are just not attractive. But, that's probably because I go barefoot as much as possible. And..because I'm always either barefoot or in flip flops, having decent looking feet is important to me. Just not important enough to wear socks and shoes all the time...lol.

Try a foot mask!! They are amazing. You tape booties on your feet for an hour, and then in a few day your calluses start peeling off. It's gross and wonderful at the same time.

Soft Touch Foot Peel Mask, Exfoliating Callus Remover (2 Pairs Per Box) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YJISUI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tqHvAbV0F2CJ2