Menu

Can you be allergic to maxi pads?

mommyoffive

Exactly.  I switched all of us to this brand.  I am so happy with them.  And actually, they are not that much more expensive.

Absolutely yes. Itching and irritation. 

Natracare are probably my favorite brand of disposables. I've also used some drugstore brand organic cotton ones that were fine. I've used cloth pads, too.

I'd try to avoid ones that are very plastic-y, have the "mesh" overlay, or are scented or dyed. I have actually seen pads with colored lines on them. So weird.

Edited by MercyA

I am allergic to Always brand. I switched to something else and the severe itching went away. It seems to be a common complaint with that brand.

Yup. My midwife specifies NOT to buy that brand for post partum bleeding, it is so common. 

I'm a Kotex girl. Well, I normally do Kotex tampons, but if I need pads for some reason I use that brand too. 

Can you be allergic to these? 

Or maybe sensitive? 

How did you realize if you were? 

What do you use instead? 

I use NatraCare products.  I had always found pads uncomfortable and tampons unbearable.  At some point in my 20's, I purchased some all cotton/organic pads out of desperation.  It was all I could find immediately and needed them.  To my surprise they weren't itchy/uncomfortable. I didn't know any different, so until I tried something that didn't irritate me, I just assumed being so uncomfortable was normal.   I kept using that brand and some other organic cotton brands after that, eventually settling into the NatraCare brand as they're easy for me to find here. 

OMG!  Thanks for posting this.  I have been having issues this month...issues I have had before but not for a long time.  I just switched brands last month.  I hadn't even made the connection because I try not to change brands of things like this.  I cannot thank you enough for bring this to my attention today.  

I'm allergic to my own sweat so disposable pads caused a nasty rash for me because the plasticyness held sweat against my skin.  I used cloth and then a cup and then coughed out my uterus and had to have a hysterectomy two years ago so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

For me it's a bit of itching and irritation.  I considered that normal - until I tried another brand.  Then I tossed the remainder of my Always and experimented with other brands, finally settling on Stayfree.  I had no idea Always reacted with so many people until this thread!  Now I wonder what's in them that's different.

• Like 2

I am allergic to Always brand. I switched to something else and the severe itching went away. It seems to be a common complaint with that brand.

Really? That explains a lot of things. So, thank you! I was wondering if I was developing infections etc because I seemed to have developed a problem with this brand. I will switch to Kotex for a while. And yes, to the poster who called them "plasticy". 

Skin irritation but welts, too and it comes on super fast and gets bad quickly.

I seem to learn so many things from this board. Knowing this really helps me a lot as I have silently suffered for a few months now not knowing what my issues are.

• Like 3

I seem to learn so many things from this board. Knowing this really helps me a lot as I have silently suffered for a few months now not knowing what my issues are.

I learned to try a few brands to see what worked the best for me.  I highly suggest it.  Like you, I thought it was all normal for quite some time.  It's not.

• Like 1

I can use just about any brand, and prefer Always. But, omg, if I accidentally pick up scented (of any brand, pads or tampons... and, ew on sticking perfume up there, btw,) forget about it! 

To be fair, synthetic fragrances make me want to barf, in general.  I have to take shallow breaths walking down cleaning and hygiene aisles.

• Like 1

How funny! I finally realized a few months ago that Always give me trouble as well. I strongly prefer Kotex or Stayfree.

I love love love my Diva Cup, but my periods have changed. Now I have three days that are so fast and furious that I don't trust cloth pads as a backup anymore and need to rely on at least a few disposable pads each month, especially at night. Blech.

I always chalked it up to them being plasticky and less breathable, but someone above pointed out that they'll most likely contain some latex too, which is a problem for lots of people.

I'm not allergic to latex, but I can see where that would affect others.  I wonder if it's the less breathable part - allowing easier growth of itchy bugs or yeast.