Menu

Would you choose tile in a shower?

Dynamite5

We are in the planning stage of building a new house. While I love all of the beautiful tiles, I *hate* mold in showers and do not appreciate the upkeep that tile takes (resealing grout, for one). Have any of you any experience with other options, such as back colored glass or acrylic slabs? Am I crazy for not wanting tile? I'm open to all options and opinions!

If it makes a difference--every other single house in this neighborhood will have high end tile. Not sure I care--no one else from the neighborhood is going to clean my shower, so I want to explore options! But I realize that it is something to take into consideration.

• Like 1

We got tile in our shower about 5 years ago.  The sealant caulk along the edge of the tub is starting to look grubby and could be replaced.  That is not a huge job, we're just lazy!   But the grout all looks great and I haven't regretted it at all.  My DH really didn't want to do tile. 

Edited by WoolySocks

We got tile in our shower about 5 years ago.  The sealant caulk along the edge of the tub is starting to look grubby and could be replaced.  That is not a huge job, we're just lazy!   But the grout all looks great and I haven't regretted it at all.  My DH really didn't want to do tile. 

Oh, yes, the dreaded sealant caulk! You're right, it's not a huge job, but it's a pain. Remove sealant, that suddenly sticks like crazy; scrape all remaining pieces away; put on new seal, swear a little when your hand suddenly moves funny or too much comes out and you have too much in one area; let dry for 3 days, using a different bathroom and upsetting routines.  I'm familiar.  :lol:

• Like 2

Here's a great post from the Houzz home forum that talks about solid surface showers. There's lots of options such a Corian, Ceasarstone, thin sheet quartz, etc...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3527109/how-do-you-feel-about-solid-surface-corian-shower-walls-vs-tile?n=34

Personally, I prefer the clean look of a solid surface shower.

• Like 4

When we did our bathroom a few years ago, we chose to do our shower with something that I think is the bathroom equivalent of quartz counters. It's a stone-based synthetic material that comes in just a few big pieces, so there is minimal sealing between pieces. It's the same thing used in many hotels. We've been happy with how little maintenance it requires.

• Like 5

We did tile in all our showers in our new house.  Every store I went into when we were building tried to sell me on the solid surface showers.  I can't remember the name of it, now.  I thought it looked cheap. A  friend was remodeling her bathroom at the same time we were building and was very excited about putting in her solid surface shower.    The quick cleaning aspect of it was what sold her.  She was glad she could just use a squeegee and be done.  

I like our tile.  It's pretty and it makes me happy when I see it in the shower.  

• Like 1

My parents have swan stone, I think. They love it. It's easy to clean.

We have tile, but we have a tub and shower together, and it ended up being the best option for us at the time. We were told that we shouldn't have to re-seal the grout for many years, and we've had zero trouble with the caulk. It's been about three years since it was installed. We clean with dish soap, and it has been awesome for our hard water. We also squeegee the walls most days when the last person finishes their shower. It takes about 1 extra minute per day.

We do have a shower curtain vs. shower doors, a good fan, and our very small bathroom has its own heat/AC vent, so we're set up for things to stay pretty dry. I think that makes a big difference.

I have very mixed feelings on this because I think the one piece shower things are made of a bad for you plastic (probably PVC). But I LOVE the ones that don't have ANY caulking. I hate caulk! More than I think I hate grout. I hear you on the tile/grout thing. No thank you!

We have had this tub recaulked a few times and it never seals properly. There is probably mold underneath now. It's the only bathroom in the house and it has no ventilation. We doubt they will install a fan for the room. We cannot open the windows, they are painted shut. It's a mold nightmare. I waited as many hours as I was instructed before using the tub after caulking but that clearly wasn't long enough or they didn't use the right type of caulk or whatever. Ugh. So anything that means less caulking is idea from a cleaning perspective.

No we will not be doing tile. I'm a huge solid surface fan. I might do an and of accent tile around the top just to be pretty, but it's stained and sealed concrete, silestone, onyx, whatever - NO tile on any surface that gets scum or wear.

I do have to say, we had a one piece before this and I didn't think it was particularly easy to clean.  But I chose darker grout in a vintage house too.  The tile/grout in our shower looks great.  I think we may have paid extra for some particular sealant?  I do think they did a garbage job on the caulk in there and when we redo I'm sure my DH will be neurotic about it.

We have tile in the one bathroom that is finished so far.  I chose big tiles, so less grout to keep clean.  We love the look, but the other 2 bathrooms will have normal shower stalls as tiles it way too expensive.  I use laundry powder to clean the tile & find that it is much more successful than normal cleaners at getting off soap scum, etc.  ymmv

if your budget can do the corian/similar slabs, go for it.  their much nicer than so many of the "panels" out there.   I did have one acquaintance who used the panels that looked like 4x4 white tile in the children's bathrooms - then did actual tile as a boarder around it to make it look like more than just an acrylic.  I wouldn't want it in a master - but looks good for a kids bathroom.

eta: I should add that was in a (currently) $2.7M waterfront home after their major remodel.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

We had tile growing up.  Ugh.  

I've had fiberglass.  It looks cheap, but it is easy to clean.

We now have cultured marble.  It may look dated, but I don't care.  It is super easy to clean.  The thin silicone sealant seams have held up perfectly so far, and the house is over 12 years old.  I just wipe them clean with a sponge.  I love my marble.  

• Like 1

I redid two harvest gold tile bathrooms. In one I put white subway tile with white grout. Keeping it sparkling is like caring for a third child. It needs to be recaulked now. The other bathroom has an acrylic handicapped shower unit. It is SOOOOO much easier to clean. I'm sure part of this is that the kids use liquid soap and DH uses Irish Spring, but that can't be all of it. The tile looks nicer, but it's a lot of work for something hidden by a shower curtain most of the time.

BTW, how often are you supposed to recaulk anyway?

Edited by KungFuPanda

We're about to begin our 5th bathroom remodel (second house) and I am having a hard time going with tile as well.  I hate cleaning it and no matter what you choose, it will date the bathroom.  I know lately everyone talks about how timeless subway tile is but really, it's not.  It's popular now and some older homes still have it from when they were built but it wasn't something many people were choosing even 10 years ago.  I'm sure at some point the 4x4 square tiles will be all over HGTV again as well.  My friends house with the basic white tub and white surround from the 80's was able to completely update her bathroom but keep the tub/surround.  That saved them so much time and money.  However, if you are thinking there's a chance of you selling within the next 10 years or so I would go with the tile so you're not deviating from the neighborhood norm.

We had tile growing up.  Ugh.  

I've had fiberglass.  It looks cheap, but it is easy to clean.

We now have cultured marble.  It may look dated, but I don't care.  It is super easy to clean.  The thin silicone sealant seams have held up perfectly so far, and the house is over 12 years old.  I just wipe them clean with a sponge.  I love my marble.  

A couple of years ago we were contemplating building and our contractor hugely recommended cultured marble. He said in his opinion it was the best choice to balance looks and function.

• Like 1

All of our bathrooms (except the Guest bathroom) have Showers. There are no bathtubs in the house. Our bathrooms have Tile, from the floor up to approximately 7 feet. I have NEVER in the 13+ years since we moved in after (nearly) completing construction, during March 2004, heard my wife say anything about problems cleaning around the Showers.

NOTE: We live in a Tropical Valley and there are oceans of fresh air in our house, so possibly that is why we do not have issues as you fear you will have with Tile in the Showers?

We're trying to decide this right now as we are doing a remodel. While I hate the tile on my vanity (we are switching to a pedestal sink) and I hate the look of the tile on the bottom half of the wall (we are going with wainscoating), I actually like the look of the white tile in the shower and don't find it hard to keep clean, although we don't have hard water. I do hate the tub/shower combo and the caulk between frequently needs to be redone, so we are getting rid of the tub. As our house is a 1920s Craftsman and we are trying to maintain some historical integrity, I can't see us going with anything too modern looking.

Here's a great post from the Houzz home forum that talks about solid surface showers. There's lots of options such a Corian, Ceasarstone, thin sheet quartz, etc...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3527109/how-do-you-feel-about-solid-surface-corian-shower-walls-vs-tile?n=34

Personally, I prefer the clean look of a solid surface shower.

thanks!

We're trying to decide this right now as we are doing a remodel. While I hate the tile on my vanity (we are switching to a pedestal sink) and I hate the look of the tile on the bottom half of the wall (we are going with wainscoating), I actually like the look of the white tile in the shower and don't find it hard to keep clean, although we don't have hard water. I do hate the tub/shower combo and the caulk between frequently needs to be redone, so we are getting rid of the tub. As our house is a 1920s Craftsman and we are trying to maintain some historical integrity, I can't see us going with anything too modern looking.

LOVE 1920's Craftsman style homes. Hope your remodel turns out really well!

• Like 1

We gutted our master bath last year and put in tile. It still looks fine though I do clean the grout twice a month. It takes me maybe an hour a month at most.  No idea how long it will look brand new, but I'm happy with it.  The house was built in 1880 and this bathroom isn't original to the house so the shower size isn't standard...tile was a good option as preformed shower enclosures wouldn't fit well. 

But I am reading and learning - one day we will sell this old house and I need to learn about other options. 

We did tile in all our showers in our new house.  Every store I went into when we were building tried to sell me on the solid surface showers.  I can't remember the name of it, now.  I thought it looked cheap. A  friend was remodeling her bathroom at the same time we were building and was very excited about putting in her solid surface shower.    The quick cleaning aspect of it was what sold her.  She was glad she could just use a squeegee and be done.  

I like our tile.  It's pretty and it makes me happy when I see it in the shower.  

Dh did our shower.  It is a zero entrance with no door.  The tile is darker colored brown family and the grout is dark.  It is not difficult to keep looking clean.  I do wish I had a hand held sprayer in there for when I do scrub it down.  I love my shower.  I don't like solid surfaces in showers.