Menu

Just for fun - what food do you hate that it seems like everybody else loves?

VaKim

As a transplant to the South, the list is long...

- Collard greens. Don't care how wonderful your recipe. (Also mustard greens and turnip greens.)

- Chicken fried steak.

- Catfish. Tastes like bottom fish. Oh, it is!

- Green beans put on to boil an hour before you plan to serve them.

- Boiled peanuts. Yuck.

- Brown gravy. Not gravy made from real meat, but some icky gooey thing.

- Black-eyed peas.

- Butter beans.

- Mustard-based BBQ. (A South Carolina specialty.)

- Okra, with the exception of really excellent gumbo.

- Chitlins. (let's see, how can we use hog intestines? Oh, let's fry them and make them crunchy!)

- Hush puppies (except one time at this great place in Charleston. But most - too greasy.)

- Squirrel. Not sure how it tastes, just the thought, though...

- And the classic - baked mac and cheese. Turns out I really don't like goopy pasta casseroles.

Now, there are a few Southern dishes I like - shrimp and grits (although it depends on the gravy), BBQ (tomato-based), buttermilk biscuits, pecan pie, and crab cakes.

I will eat a few of these things in my own home, but not order them (like butter beans). If you eat somewhere with "Southern style" food then imo the veggies are overdone, soggy, and cooked in too much butter and/or meat. Maybe you just want veggies but they come with bits of bacon. It just doesn't seem to resemble veggies to me anymore lol

It was a while before I had decent okra. At first it was just some slimy mess. Ick. I enjoy some grits but many places cannot make them taste good at all. Guess you have to have them homemade or go to the right place. When I first moved to the South I liked the grits at the local McDonald's, but I tried ordering them a few months ago and they were horrible. I don't think they even gave me butter in the drive thru. Waffle House and Church's Chicken had pretty horrible ones, too. Now at our church potluck a woman makes them and they are good. She adds cheese, but it's not an overwhelming cheese flavor.

As for the person asking about squirrel. I don't think I've ever seen it/been offered it. I do remember them eating it on Duck Dynasty and I think the mom was cooking the brains. :ack2:

The Varsity chili dogs aren't good.  They're just part of the tradition.   

Ok... the idea of keeping something around that isn't considered good due to tradition is something my mind is having trouble understanding.  There are so many places to eat...

In the wikipedia article? What part?

I think mainly the lingo:

Originated by frazzled cashiers as a way to keep the lines moving, the blunt and abbreviated greeting "What'll ya have?" caught on with both staff and public and eventually became the restaurant's unofficial slogan.

We like to slow down to eat, often chatting with servers - esp in new places (but locally too).  The idea of going somewhere frazzled and drive ins in general just aren't that appealing compared to the places my son took us that were locally owned and operated and each time the owner came out to greet us discussing what was good - offering suggestions - seeing if we liked it - and generally chatting.  It's a totally different atmosphere.  Oh, and the food was terrific.

We like small hole-in-the-wall places that are hidden gems.  Sometimes they are larger and not quite hidden, but still similar in feel.  That's what I originally expected Varsity to be when y'all were talking about it.

We've met some really cool people and tried some awesome foods in our travels.

• Like 1

Batter or crumb coated fried anything

ribs

pork chops

gloppy mixtures (deceptively called "salads"}

mayonnaise

anything with lots of melted cheese on it (I love good cheeses, just not things covered in melted cheese)

Answering this makes my stomach churn.

Ok... the idea of keeping something around that isn't considered good due to tradition is something my mind is having trouble understanding.  There are so many places to eat...

I think mainly the lingo:

Originated by frazzled cashiers as a way to keep the lines moving, the blunt and abbreviated greeting "What'll ya have?" caught on with both staff and public and eventually became the restaurant's unofficial slogan.

We like to slow down to eat, often chatting with servers - esp in new places (but locally too).

I'm sure lots of people think the food is good. My palate is more refined in my 50's than it was in my teen years.  And my gut doesn't tolerate greasy food like it once did. 

You can slow down to eat and chat with the staff, but not if it's game day.  Before a Tech game, it's wall to wall people and organized chaos.    Some people love that energetic atmosphere. It makes me anxious.  The last time I went (ten years ago!) it was lunchtime on a weekday and much less crowded and it was easy to find a table.  

• Like 2

I like almost anything except uncooked meats (sushi) and Dr. Pepper. Deer is kind of big here and I don't like that either.

Wait... wait... I'm trying to make sense of this... NOT like Dr Pepper?!?... this doesn't compute in my head... oh, wait, I get it now. You were joking! That's a good one! You almost got me on that!

Edited by Kinsa

Wait... wait... I'm trying to make sense of this... NOT like Dr Pepper?!?... this doesn't compute in my head... oh, wait, I get it now. You were joking! That's a good one! You almost got me on that!

Oh I hate Dr. Pepper. Once every few years I will be accidentally given a Dr.Pepper instead of a Coke or whatever. Taking a sip thinking it is coke and getting a mouthful of Dr. Pepper- yuck! That is the kind of thing that will traumatize me for a while as I keep reliving the horror.

A couple of my kids drink Dr.Pepper and it is very popular here but I just can't. Oh- so vile.

• Like 5

I know!  Everyone seems to love Dr. Pepper and I'm not picky at all but it's just too much, too  many flavors--not good!

Oh, so many of mine have been posted! 

I'm definitely part of the anti-mayo crowd. That stuff is just disgusting. Add mustard and relish to the list, too. Just, no. 

No okra or meatloaf, either. 

My husband grew up in southern Illinois and his dad hunted squirrel. So, he grew up eating squirrel, but this born and raised southerner did not. 

Diet soda makes me feel like my teeth are being cleaned. What is in that stuff? Never mind, don't answer. 

I don't like most casseroles, but that may be because the ones I grew up with had mayonnaise in them. 

ETA: 

milk - I can drink it with chocolate or eat my cereal with it, but I can't drink it plain. No matter how fresh it is, it smells sour to me. I also cannot eat scallops. I used to love them, then, food poisoning. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

Diet soda makes me feel like my teeth are being cleaned. What is in that stuff? Never mind, don't answer.

I agree, Diet pop is horrid. They all have a metalic after-taste. My dh doesn't taste that and keeps trying to get me to try various flavours.

• Like 1

Add me to the dark side here.  Dr Pepper is the only soda I absolutely can't tolerate.  There are several I don't like, but can drink to be polite (Sprite, RC Cola, Orange all come to mind), but Dr Pepper makes me gag.

Oh I hate Dr. Pepper. Once every few years I will be accidentally given a Dr.Pepper instead of a Coke or whatever. Taking a sip thinking it is coke and getting a mouthful of Dr. Pepper- yuck! That is the kind of thing that will traumatize me for a while as I keep reliving the horror.

A couple of my kids drink Dr.Pepper and it is very popular here but I just can't. Oh- so vile.

This. Exactly.  Hubby and one son like it.  They are the two with the least taste buds in our house.  Hubby can't even tell the difference between Coke and Dr Pepper.  We each had our respective soda at McD's one day and never marked which is which.  He tasted both (since I don't like Dr. Pepper) and handed me the Coke... 'cept it wasn't the Coke.  UGH!  I wasn't too polite and he's never lived it down.  It also showed me I don't have to worry too much about his preferences since he can't taste the difference anyway (seriously - with many foods/dishes - he can't taste the difference).  Now he or I absolutely make sure sodas are marked when we fill cups.

Not having many taste buds is an asset when it comes to eating more foods, but I often feel sorry for hubby thinking about all the scrumptious flavors he misses out on.  He (and his family) scarf down food so quickly they really don't even taste it - I suspect it's because they can't taste (and savor) it. It's just "food."  He feels sorry for me regarding the foods I don't like (super spicy, sushi, etc).  There are pros and cons to each I suppose.  Science-wise, those with fewer taste buds tend to like more foods and need/like more spice in order to sense flavors, so it's probably not that my guys can't taste things at all.  I guess it's more like varieties of color blindness.

Edited by creekland

I don't like soda, even when I was a teen I rarely had it. It feels like sugar running down my throat.

Most fast food or southern food- I like some fried food(home-made) occasionally but don't like black-eyed peas, grits, or any cooked greens.

I don't like chitlins either but I don't know that most people love it :) ick. 

Mayonnaise.

Peppers of any kind- I know green peppers and the black pepper you sprinkle on food and Jalepenos are all different plants= it doesn't matter, I hate them all. The green (or red) peppers just taste nasty and the others are hot and hurt.

Any kind of soda- I don't like the fizziness, it bothers my tongue.

boiled peanuts

hard pretzels, tortilla chips, cheese puffs, etc.

lots of pies- lemon meringue, pumpkin, pecan, etc. I do like many fruit pies but prefer with crumb toppings and prefer crisps even more.

avocados

limes (allergic but never was a great fan even before I got allergic)

cilantro

And no, I don't go to Mexican or southwestern style restaurants though when I lived in New Mexico I would just order food that had no spiciness.

My mother is originally from the South (SC) and I am living in the South for the first time in my life (NC).  Every Christmas we have a big family gathering and I drive 3 hours to get to my mom's side of the family gathering (my parents don't live here so they don't attend.)

Anyway, there is always a big deal about all the butter beans, black eyed pees, okra, ham biscuits, banana pudding, and rice.   Anyway, everyone brings their favorite version of those items and they make comments about whose is the best, etc....

I don't like any of it.  I stick with the chicken, beef stew, etc.....

I do like rice, but this rice tastes like that minute rice stuff......it may be minute rice.  I can't eat it.  And they put gravy on it......WHAT?????????

I love my relatives, but I am not a Southern eater.

• Like 1

My mother is originally from the South (SC) and I am living in the South for the first time in my life (NC).  Every Christmas we have a big family gathering and I drive 3 hours to get to my mom's side of the family gathering (my parents don't live here so they don't attend.)

Anyway, there is always a big deal about all the butter beans, black eyed pees, okra, ham biscuits, banana pudding, and rice.   Anyway, everyone brings their favorite version of those items and they make comments about whose is the best, etc....

I do like rice, but this rice tastes like that minute rice stuff......it may be minute rice.  I can't eat it.  And they put gravy on it......WHAT?????????

Is gravy on rice really that unusual in other areas of the country? I had no idea.

I agree with you on the minute-type rice, btw. We make brown rice, but long-grain and basmati are also good.

I love every bit of that, rice included as long as it's not Minute Rice. I've never met anyone who uses that and I don't think I've ever had it.  Are you sure it's not rice that is boiled in a lot of water, overcooked, and then drained? That's how my southern MIL always made rice. 

Steak

Seafood

Any strong seasoning.

Now that I have a child with SPD and I'm learning more and more about it, I think I have it to a mild extent. There are a lot of textures I don't like and I don't usually like mixed textures. I don't generally like things that have too strong of a flavor. I would prefer if things were made with half the recommended amounts. I often cook it this way and then DH separates his and adds more. 

Berries of all kinds including strawberries.  All those little seeds?  No way.  Everyone in my family eats strawberries.  I make an amazing fresh strawberry pie but I never touch the stuff.

Tomatoes, raw or cooked, but I don't mind tomato sauce for pasta or pizza as long as there are absolutely no chunks.

Watermelon.  Grainy texture is icky.

I like the taste of peaches but not the fuzzy skin; peeled peaches are OK.  Same for apricots.

Kale.  Smells like a dirty diaper.  Any recipe that requires kale I will substitute spinach.

Amber in SJ

Beverages are their own category

No soda of any kind.  Carbonation makes me feel like I am drinking acid.  I can feel my tongue burning with the first sip.  

No coffee.  Smells heavenly; tastes like dirty water.

No tea.  Tastes like bitter wet oats.

No alcohol.  Beer tastes like carbonated bitter urine.  Wine tastes acidic and mixed drinks taste like they have dish soap in them.

No smoothies or shakes with protein powder in them because they smell like powdered milk which smells like poverty & despair (my childhood.)

As you can see I am a blast at parties.

Cranberry juice please.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

I have to add most crock pot meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Either there are things in there I don't like, such as canned cream of something soup, or everything tastes the same.  I probably haven't had excellent crockpot food because if it's supposed to taste like that then it wound't be so popular. 

Is gravy on rice really that unusual in other areas of the country? I had no idea.

I agree with you on the minute-type rice, btw. We make brown rice, but long-grain and basmati are also good.

I'm thinking it is unusual, but it could just be my personal experience. I only like gravy on meat. I won't touch the white gravy I see on biscuits and I don't want gravy on my mashed potatoes. I like to eat my rice with butter and veggies or part of a dish (like inside gumbo or under a pile of chicken n dumplings).

I'm thinking it is unusual, but it could just be my personal experience. I only like gravy on meat. I won't touch the white gravy I see on biscuits and I don't want gravy on my mashed potatoes. I like to eat my rice with butter and veggies or part of a dish (like inside gumbo or under a pile of chicken n dumplings).

I have never heard of rice with chicken and dumplings! And we love our rice here....I make a pot 5 days a week. I might have to try it!

Berries of all kinds including strawberries.  All those little seeds?  No way.  Everyone in my family eats strawberries.  I make an amazing fresh strawberry pie but I never touch the stuff.

Tomatoes, raw or cooked, but I don't mind tomato sauce for pasta or pizza as long as there are absolutely no chunks.

Watermelon.  Grainy texture is icky.

I like the taste of peaches but not the fuzzy skin; peeled peaches are OK.  Same for apricots.

Kale.  Smells like a dirty diaper.  Any recipe that requires kale I will substitute spinach.

Amber in SJ

I'm the same with peaches and apricots.  It's the one sensory thing I can't stand!

• Like 1

I will eat most foods, but quinoa always tastes like soap to me no matter how it's prepared or what else is in the dish with it.  I don't know why this is.  I've tried to like it, but no luck so far.

Also, not a food, but I can't stand coffee.  Even the smell of it leaves me gagging and no matter what is put in it, I can't choke it down.  Ditto for any coffee flavouring in other foods. 

I have to add most crock pot meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Other than crock pot meatballs I only use mine to make chicken stock,to cook beans, and to cook bulk onions to freeze and use in any recipe that calls for sauteing onions.

As you can see I am a blast at parties.

I'm okay at parties, but I hate eating in restaurants because I'm picky and rarely want anything on the menu.  It's really stressful for me when friends want to go out for dinner because I don't know what to order.  It's hard to eat out on vacation as well, but that doesn't bother me as much because I'm with family and they understand if I just eat weird stuff.  

I had never heard of it (gravy on rice) until I moved to the South.  Really.  I found it so strange.

Edited by DawnM

I love every bit of that, rice included as long as it's not Minute Rice. I've never met anyone who uses that and I don't think I've ever had it.  Are you sure it's not rice that is boiled in a lot of water, overcooked, and then drained? That's how my southern MIL always made rice. 

Maybe it is overcooked or maybe it is just that cheap rice in the clear bag at the grocery store.  It has no flavor at all to me, almost tastes like cardboard.

The s'mores thread reminded me that I can't stand those gooey treats.  :leaving:

Coke - I'm old enough to remember what it tasted like before HFCS and I didn't like it back then either.

As for Nutella, I don't hate it but I also don't understand the love for it.

I had never heard of it (gravy on rice) until I moved to the South.  Really.  I found it so strange.

I had never hear of gravy on rice until I read this thread.

Oh, and add gravy to my list of foods that I hate.   :D

I agree. Other than crock pot meatballs I only use mine to make chicken stock,to cook beans, and to cook bulk onions to freeze and use in any recipe that calls for sauteing onions.

Love onions, but onions in the crockpot get a weird taste. There is a crockpot flavor that I just don't like and I can't figure out how some people don't taste it. All of my kids can taste it.

The white gravy would probably be sausage gravy (milk, flour, salt, pepper, breakfast sausage). There's also red-eye gravy, a very thin reddish-brown watery gravy with no thickener (more the consistency of au jus) that goes with country ham---made by mixing the pan drippings from frying country ham and some coffee. Oddly, that is one of the two ways in which I find coffee marginally acceptable (the other being in something like dark chocolate cake). Country ham isn't my favorite, as it's too salty, but red-eye gravy can be good on grits with butter and cheese.

We usually do rice with butter, salt, and pepper. If a meat dish has gravy with it, I'll put it on the rice or mashed potatoes. While we do things like curry, red beans, stir-fry, and other saucy dishes on rice, I would never have thought of eating rice with chicken and dumplings, as the dumplings are the starch/grain. To me, that sounds like eating spaghetti and meatballs over rice. :)

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

Someone upthread said watermelon. It tastes kind of like cough syrup to me. No one in my family will touch it. I do wish we liked it because come summer we are always being offered it. I have cringed as someone shows up at our house with a watermelon to share. Six of us here and no one will eat a bite. But I know we are the weird ones!

Grew up in HI. My brother and his friend would go across the street to Zippy's to get their favorite snack--a scoop of rice with brown gravy ... for a quarter!

Only beef or chicken gravy on rice, please. Can't bear sausage gravy. Or any gravy on biscuits. I can't deal with wet bread. :ack2:

• Like 1