Menu

Just for fun - what food do you hate that it seems like everybody else loves?

VaKim

Ok, to be fair, I don't really think squirrel is commonly served in the South. :huh: Not even uncommonly served.

Yes, I think some eat it but not very many people; if so, it is in fairly rural areas. It's not something widely available in stores or restaurants.

I was born in the South & though I have moved many times in my life, I have lived mostly in Southern areas, some rural. I've never in my life been offered squirrel as a food nor have I seen anyone eating it.

Strangely enough, growing up in the rural Midwest I actually have had squirrel, although I don't recall what it tasted like or if I liked it. Since I was very picky as a child, I'm guessing I took a bite once and never really ate it again.

My brother used to go squirrel hunting with my uncle and my mom would cook them. I still have a very vivid mental image of several gutted and skinned squirrels lined up on a sawhorse.

• Like 1

Strangely enough, growing up in the rural Midwest I actually have had squirrel, although I don't recall what it tasted like or if I liked it. Since I was very picky as a child, I'm guessing I took a bite once and never really ate it again.

My brother used to go squirrel hunting with my uncle and my mom would cook them. I still have a very vivid mental image of several gutted and skinned squirrels lined up on a sawhorse.

Well I've certainly never thought of squirrel as a Midwestern food!

Lol.

(I've never really been in the Midwest much, so I'm not even sure what would qualify as "Midwestern" food. But, I'm pretty sure I would have never put squirrel on that list.)

Lol.

(I've never really been in the Midwest much, so I'm not even sure what would qualify as "Midwestern" food. But, I'm pretty sure I would have never put squirrel on that list.)

I don't know that it is necessarily a Midwestern food. I think my uncle just wanted to start my brother out with hunting something small. But of course he taught him that you eat what you kill, hence the serving of squirrel. I vaguely recall my mom frying it up like chicken. Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

It's funny how many people have mentioned boiled peanuts, because I saw them in the grocery store a few days ago, and I found the concept startling. I don't remember ever seeing them or hearing of them before in my life! What do you do with them? I mean, how do people typically eat them? They sound awful!

• Like 2

I don't know that it is necessarily a Midwestern food. I think my uncle just wanted to start my brother out with hunting something small. But of course he taught him that you eat what you kill, hence the serving of squirrel. I vaguely recall my mom frying it up like chicken.

What?  I thought eating squirrel was a joke.  You eat it?

Oh and shrimp.. not for me

And lobster - I like lobster bisque and don't mind like lobster mac n cheese but like "here's a hunk of lobster" (like lobster rolls or god forbid a half or whole lobster)

But I like crab and am okay with crawfish if I don't have to peel it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's funny how many people have mentioned boiled peanuts, because I saw them in the grocery store a few days ago, and I found the concept startling. I don't remember ever seeing them or hearing of them before in my life! What do you do with them? I mean, how do people typically eat them? They sound awful!

I have only ever had them from roadside stands.

When I have had them, they are boiled in the shell. So, you kind of have soggy peanuts in the shell. Remove the shell, eat the peanuts.

I haven't had them in years, but I thought they were okay.

• Like 3

When I have had them, they are boiled in the shell. So, you kind of have soggy peanuts in the shell. Remove the shell, eat the peanuts.

Interesting, thanks!

What? I thought eating squirrel was a joke. You eat it?

As a child in the Midwest, yes. An an adult, no. Although I grew up near a small city of 50k, I never actually saw squirrels in parks or urban green areas until I went away to college. Growing up, I only saw them in the woods.
  • Like 1

CILANTRO!!! (aka coriander)

I'm one of the lucky 10% of the human race with the genetic disposition to taste cilantro as soap.

(Yes, that's a real thing. You can google it if you want to know more.)

It tastes like soap to me, but I still love it. How weird is that?

• Like 2

Ok, there are a lot, many listed above. But here are my really strong ones from the top of my head.

Pie

Cream of Mushroom soup. (Gag)

Cream of Tomato soup if madd with milk. Ugh. Love it made with water.

Most fish / shelfish

Mayonaise

MUSTARD. I hated it so much, my brother used to chase me around the house with it. It is gross! And the smell! And yeah, forget the "scrape it off" suggestion. Heck, as a really young kid I changed my favourite colour from yellow to blue because of mustard.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

It tastes like soap to me, but I still love it. How weird is that?

There is a candy (might be a Canadian candy) that is called soap candy (looks a bit like really small, chewy jujubes), and yes, it tastes like soap. Every so often I just totally crave it. Liked it as a kid, like it now. Hard to find.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fried, stewed, pickled, raw with dip, in soup, with tomatoes, curried, homemade, in a restaurant, etc, etc. Okra grows really well around here and I tried to find *some* way to eat it when we got it in our CSA box. I managed it with eggplant (another non-favorite), but I can't make okra be food.

I can force myself to tolerate a single well-breaded deep-fried pretty thin piece used to hold a bunch of ketchup on the fork, but that's it and it's still fairly nasty. At that point, it ceases to be a vegetable, so I might as well have a (well-cooked ;) French-style) green bean.

Well, do you pretty much have to fry it to a crisp for it to be good. I still love it, though.

I also love French style green beans but I probably ruin them by adding bacon and cooking for a hour or more. :)

What?  I thought eating squirrel was a joke.  You eat it?

Hubby ate squirrel growing up (VA/NC).  We have enough here that he suggested it after we moved.  I told him we had enough money or other game animals for food and I'd only consider it if the apocalypse came and we were hungry.  

I have one of my Grandma's old cookbooks (one given to her) and it has a recipe in it for Woodchuck/Groundhog.  All of the recipes in it start with real items (eg one chicken, one pumpkin, etc, nothing canned or similar). She came from NY.

It might not be normal now to eat these items, but not long ago in our nation's past it was quite common.

• Like 3

I'm feeling validated that so many dislike avocado, hummus, hard boiled eggs, and Starbucks truly horrendous brewed coffee.

Maybe I'm not quite so weird as I thought. ;)

I'm always puzzled that so many on here seem to think hard boiled eggs are like the perfect snack food. No one here would touch them. Not even the dog recognizes them as edible.

I've only had boiled peanuts a couple of times, and those were both at a restaurant in Charleston that serves them as a complimentary appetizer. Ummm . . . no. Just no.

Kraft dinner! I hated it as a child and still do.

Cilantro

Peanut butter (sometimes I will eat it but sometimes I don't like it)

Muffins from the grocery store that come in those plastic packages and look sweaty.

Banana bread/muffins

Veal, lamb, duck, and other more obscure meats.

Raw onions

The consistency is like edamame.

I'm feeling validated that so many dislike avocado, hummus, hard boiled eggs, and Starbucks truly horrendous brewed coffee.

I hate whole hard boiled eggs or chunks of avocado. But love guac and like egg salad. No excuse for starbucks coffee though. 

SaveSave

• Like 1

I never heard of boiled peanuts until moving to NC. Now I see big pots of them in gas stations and they are at roadside stands up in the mountain near Boone and the coast. I don't get it. I love peanuts but boiling them just makes them mushy. Yuck!

I'm from the St. Louis area (IL side) and I've heard that they eat squirrel in rural Missouri in the Ozarks. I think there was an Anthony Bourdain episode where he was in the Ozarks and ate it or opossum or something. *shudders* I'm one of those picky people who would never even try such a thing. My uncle bow hunts and would bring mountain lion and bear jerkey to Christmas dinner. Turns my stomach just thinking about it!

I never heard of boiled peanuts until moving to NC. Now I see big pots of them in gas stations and they are at roadside stands up in the mountain near Boone and the coast. I don't get it. I love peanuts but boiling them just makes them mushy. Yuck!

We all love boiled peanuts, and I boil pounds and pounds every fall. But you are right--it seems that anyone that did not grow up with them thinks they are horrid.

We also have a local fast food place, The Varsity, that people only seem to like if they grew up with it.

• Like 2

I love this story, because I would be so happy if this happened to me re: mayonnaise. Like, if the situation was the same, but we were both ordering a Turkey Club Sandwich and I terrified the server so much that neither sandwich had mayo on it. Because I honestly really wish that would happen. I hate it so much it's actually difficult to share a meal with someone heartily enjoying mayonnaise.

I'm actually very skeptical about ordering sandwiches out because I do not trust people to not put mayo on out of habit. And at deli counters, they will cut the sandwich with that same knife with which they have been cutting everyone else's mayonaissy sandwiches...that's gonna be a NO for me...

Oh, that's tough...my girlfriend didn't mind that I got olives. But if she did mind, I would have ordered something else.

• Like 1

Hubby ate squirrel growing up (VA/NC). We have enough here that he suggested it after we moved. I told him we had enough money or other game animals for food and I'd only consider it if the apocalypse came and we were hungry.

I have one of my Grandma's old cookbooks (one given to her) and it has a recipe in it for Woodchuck/Groundhog. All of the recipes in it start with real items (eg one chicken, one pumpkin, etc, nothing canned or similar). She came from NY.

It might not be normal now to eat these items, but not long ago in our nation's past it was quite common.

Yes, in my parents generation it was common in rural areas. Crawdads were still done when I was a kid. You learn to have an eye for detail when you eat off the land.

My old timer neighbors say that deer was scarce when they were young men, you were a hero if you got one. Hard to imagine now, when the deer come up to the windows at the elementary school every morning.

The OP asked about food that most people like, but I'm seeing a lot of replies with food that a lot of people don't like (okra, beets, etc.)

Birthday cakes

I like birthday cakes but not icing. I usually try to skip the cake or get a middle piece. I then scrape the icing off and just eat the cake. It doesn't matter if it's whipped cream or butter cream, I don't like it. 

I don't like fruit pies which seem to be very popular so I guess I kinda get it.

The only fruit pie I like is blueberry. I do like fruit cobblers though.

I've always thought of it as Deep South food. FIL has eaten squirrel and he's from a small mountain town in Tennessee. It's not something he would seek out or would eat today, but he has eaten it in the past. And from what I gather when we've visited the area, people there don't eat it now. FIL is 90 years old though.

I don't like milk. I've been told I probably have an allergy to it. Um, no. I just don't like the taste. I can use it in cooking and can eat other dairy products. I just don't drink it. It also means I can never eat cereal with milk because, yuck, milk.

I hardly ever eat steak, not because I don't like it. I can't eat any meat that isn't thoroughly cooked. NO PINK WHATSOEVER. It disgusts me and there's a texture issue so I can feel it even if I don't see the pink. You cannot imagine the flack someone gets when they like well done, completely well done, steak. I do like steak that's well done, no matter what anyone says about how I shouldn't like it because it's dry, tough, whatever.  It's not worth trying to justify my taste so I just don't bother to eat it or order it.

• Like 3

I like birthday cakes but not icing. I usually try to skip the cake or get a middle piece. I then scrape the icing off and just eat the cake. It doesn't matter if it's whipped cream or butter cream, I don't like it. 

I don't like plain cake!  I love the frosting!  Unfortunately.  I can scoop up a spoonful and just eat it plain.  

• Like 1

Grape Juice ... got very sick on it as a kid and can't stand it ... communion is rough lol

Cabbage of almost any kind

Olives

Boiled Peanuts are the world's grossest thing

Hummus

Bananas

Hard boiled eggs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm with you on the grape juice and will add grape flavoring to the list (though I like real grapes). My sister used to torment me by chewing grape Bubble Yum and chasing me around to breathe on me. The first time I encountered grape juice in communion (Baptist church), it was...interesting. It didn't help that the minister was miked, it was a church where everyone consumed at one time, and the bread was melba toast. Sounded like we were in a bowl of Rice Krispies. The church I grew up in (Presbyterian) used homemade wine, which tasted rather reminiscent of raisins soaked in kerosene, but it wasn't grape juice! The port the Episcopal church used was much more palatable.

I don't like milk. I've been told I probably have an allergy to it. Um, no. I just don't like the taste. I can use it in cooking and can eat other dairy products. I just don't drink it. It also means I can never eat cereal with milk because, yuck, milk.

My grandfather used to put orange juice on his cereal.

• Like 1

I spent most of my life thinking I didn't like avocado because the only ones I knew and tasted were Florida avocados. Then one day I tasted a California (Haas) avocado. Music played and angels sang. Florida avocados have a higher water and lower fat content and are pretty flavorless and mealy. Hass have a higher fat content and thus a wonderful flavor and smoothness.

Just like most people don't eat snake or alligator. But some do.

Alligator isn't an uncommon menu item on some local (never chain) seafood restaurants. It's tough and chewy and despite what people say, it doesn't "taste like chicken". I've tried it more than once, but I don't like it. Dh and ds like to order alligator nuggets.

I thought of another item I detest that others love.

Beer

Everything about it is revolting to me.

I can drink a few sips of ice cold beer on a very hot day. After those few sips the yeasty taste kicks in and it's disgusting.

• Like 1

Okay, at first I thought there was nothing popular I really disliked. Plenty of things I am not crazy enough but don't hate either. I am quite ambivalent about eggs - scrambled etc. is fine. I hate the white in cooked eggs but LOVE the egg yolk so...

But I hate a specific kind of German dumpling made out of uncooked potatoes. It is very popular in the part of the country I live in but I have never been able to get it down. Taste is okay-ish but the texture is revolting - kind of like rough rubber.

Taste is okay-ish but the texture is revolting - kind of like rough rubber.

Texture is an issue with a lot of the foods I don't like. In some cases it's taste (milk or beer or cake frosting for example) but more often it's the texture. I suspect I'm not the only one who dislikes a texture of certain foods more so than the flavor.

Edited by Lady Florida.

There is at least ONE :D

I told my wife and son that while they were away that I was going to make a big pot of tripe to enjoy all by myself (or with my favorite neighbor lady who appreciates a delicacy when she sees one). 

I adore tripe (onions, avocados, olives, feta cheese....).

Not a fan of mayonnaise-based salads, jello, or (for some reason) cellophane noodles.

Bill

I love tripe! 

It's hard to find though.