Menu

Bare bones camping.....what do I need?

Ottakee

My Brother and his family and my mom are planning a vacation to a touristy place in July.  My kids REALLY want to go too BUT rooms are over $200/night as it is high season.  It looks like I could get a tent spot at a local campground (nice and clean and safe as we have been there before) for $25/night.  That difference would make the trip possible for us.

It would be me, and my 3 young adult children.  Could we do it with the 2 2 people tents we own?  We would not have to eat at the campsite at all and they have a nice bathhouse.  Basically we just need a place to sleep......and pray for no rain :-)

Sleeping in the van would possibly be an option if it did really rain.

Am I crazy to consider this?  We do have a 28 ft older camping trailer but it needs some work, our tow vehicle gets very poor gas mileage and is 20 years old, and I have never driven it 6 hours away before (OK I have never pulled that trailer myself).

• Like 1

Well, in two weeks I am taking my kids to our nationals for dance in Virginia Beach.  Basic hotel rooms were $200+ per night, and that was at the sketchy places!  So we're camping instead! $20 per night plus fees, our entire week there costs the same as ONE night in a hotel.  

So you're definitely not crazy. 

I'm not sure about the 2 2-person tents though.  2 person tents are really small.  We are tenting it and will take our tent (says it sleeps 10, our family of four sleeps and lives in it comfortably), three air mattresses, camp lantern, flashlights, bedding, clothes, dance gear and a camp stove so I can make coffee.  Oh, and a cooler with some basics.  Since we're camping on the beach I should probably also add a rug to gather sand.

Do you have any camping friends who could let you borrow a bigger tent for the week?  That would be my only hesitation- 2 person tents you're really having to get super close and snuggly and I would not want to spend a week sleeping like that.

• Like 1

If you do not have to worry about food and they have a bathhouse I would think it would be a cinch. Whether or not 2- 2 people tent would work for 4 adults depends on the size of the adults and tents as even though they are rated by number of people they still vary. My bare minimum would be tents and sleeping gear. If you don't have to worry about it getting cold then you don't have to even worry about sleeping bags, just bring old covers and pillows. Some people like a pad under them to sleep and some do cots, we just have foam pads, but we've done without before just fine (especially so for the young people). 

my barebone list-

tents

sleeping bag/covers- pillows

?foam sleeping pads?

toiletries

towels

shower shoes

camp chairs- nice to have

campfire supplies are nice if you are going to be there at night- sticks for smores and such

snacks- at least some cold breakfast supplies unless you are leaving right away

bug spray/sunscreen

• Like 1

The tents might be tight.  My son is only 5'4 and the girls are 5' and 4"10 so smaller..........me, not quite so small.

We would take along some snacks and a cooler, etc.  It would be for 2-3 nights.  If worse came to very worse, we likely could bunk in with the family at the hotel as my brother's family of 5 has a room legal for 6 and my mom (alone) has a room that is legal for 4....but she is in a power wheelchair and needs her quiet time alone due to health/age issues.

My Brother and his family and my mom are planning a vacation to a touristy place in July. My kids REALLY want to go too BUT rooms are over $200/night as it is high season. It looks like I could get a tent spot at a local campground (nice and clean and safe as we have been there before) for $25/night. That difference would make the trip possible for us.

It would be me, and my 3 young adult children. Could we do it with the 2 2 people tents we own? We would not have to eat at the campsite at all and they have a nice bathhouse. Basically we just need a place to sleep......and pray for no rain :-)

Sleeping in the van would possibly be an option if it did really rain.

Am I crazy to consider this? We do have a 28 ft older camping trailer but it needs some work, our tow vehicle gets very poor gas mileage and is 20 years old, and I have never driven it 6 hours away before (OK I have never pulled that trailer myself).

Not crazy at all.

I will say two man tents are generally more two kid tents so you might be more comfy with two three or four man tents if you can make the difference. If you don't need to cook that is definitely a bonus.

What kind of mattress will you use?

Sure. We go camping like that all the time.

The minimum we bring to be reasonably comfortable is a tent (obviously) sleeping bags and pillows, a cooler w/ ice for drinks, snacks, etc., bug spray, a couple of flashlights, and one of those cheapie folding chairs with cupholders for each person. And of course stuff like clothes and toiletries and all that.

two man tents are short - so if  you don't mind crawling around . . .

If you can buy or borrow a 4-man tent - you can at least stand up.

do you have foam or air mattresses to sleep on?  sleeping bags, camp stools.  a mat or something at the entrance to the tent to cut down on dirt in the tent.

we're doing tent camping this summer at yosemite. . . .I'm getting too old for tents. . . . actually - it's the dirt.

Set up the tents you own in your yard and see how you fit. Our two man tents would work for me and a child, but wouldn't work for my husband and grown sons. 

Also, make sure you can still get reservations. Places like you've described book up early. 

• Like 4

I'd go ahead and do it. 

Plan to take your tents and sleeping bags, but between now and then ask around and watch freecycle for bigger tents and mattress pads. If you get them, great! (make sure you know how to use them). If you don't, just go with what you have. Continue to plan on the van for rain. 

• Like 1

I'd take along a tarp, the inexpensive blue kind with grommets, if you have one of those. Then if there is space, you can put up the tarp so that you have a place to sit, rather than the tents, in light rain.

I also suggest a tarp, but for underneath the tents. If you want to make a rain fly, you're going to also have to bring some rope.

I agree with others that two-man tents are a stretch for two adults, especially if you have anything but bedding in the tent. You can plan to keep everything in the car. The test run at home to check roominess is a good idea.

I like to bring a small plastic tub to put shoes in. It keeps them from getting the tent dirty, but also makes a place for them inside so nothing crawls in the shoes at night because you didn't leave them outside the tent.

I think it's very doable and you will have fun! It will certainly be memorable..

Edited by Seasider

Two 2-person tents are meant to sleep four people. I am not sure what is crazy about this. That's how we usually camp.

Bare bones list:

tents

sleeping pads

sleeping bags

clothes

head lamp for nightly trecks to bathroom

Being at a developed campground with a bath house and a toilet is already way beyond bare bones.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Most campsites allow 2 tents per site, will you be keeping all your luggage and gear in the car, if you were hoping to keep it on the site then I would get a bigger tent.  For rain a good option is to have a big-ish tarp you can tie above the tent. Angle one end higher so the rain runs off the other side.  When we camped with the kids we usually used a 10+ person tent and a small 2 man (for stuff) but we would camp for 2 weeks and eat on site.

Here's one for $100

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I'd see if you could upgrade the tents. Especially if none of them have a rain fly. We like to put a tarp under the tent so it keeps the bottom clean.

Besides a tent, sleeping bag, pillows, clothes, air mattress (not necessary but so nice). And a plug for your phones/devices that is car compatible.

I would do it for my dc and myself. You would have a better idea whether the special needs of your dc require access to things not available in a tent, though. Do you need easy access to toilets/bathrooms that you can go in to help your dc of both genders? There may well be a lot more things to consider. The campground might be able to offer special services and facilities for your family, though. You could contact them directly.

It could work. Use the tents for sleeping only. Use the car to store any extras (duffle bags, extra clothes, extra gear, small cooler with beverages, snacks, etc) to keep the tents clutter free. If you're going to be visiting with family, you'll probably only be at the campsite to sleep, shower and (maybe) eat a light breakfast. Unless you have restless sleepers who toss and turn a lot, it will be cozy but doable for a few nights. 

I like Wintermom's advice about checking out the campground for any necessary facility needs.

Yet another vote for making sure you get a larger tent.  If you're sure you don't need to, pitch the tents in your yard and make sure you want to snuggle that closely. And have it in the budget for an emergency night in the hotel in case there's a severe thunderstorm - lightening and falling trees have chased us away from camping more than once. 

I would set the tents up in the yard and see how you all fit.  Our two-man tents are plenty big enough for two adults as long as we leave the bags and stuff in the car.  While they are set up, take the hose to them to see if they are waterproof.  If not, seek new tents or a tarp plan and if so, no worries about rain.  Another option would be to look into renting tents from REI.  If you would be traveling through an area with a store, this would be one way to get a big tent without buying.  We find umbrellas really handy for getting in and out of small tents in heavy rain.  

As an alternate idea, if you think the odds are good that the weather will not be rainy--4 ENU style hammocks (generics abound!) would be cheaper than buying tents and sleeping bags (if you don't already have gear).

Brilliant! These are almost all my kids use these days. Oldest only brings a tent if the weather might be less than stellar. (They're old enough to camp on their own, so I almost forgot about this option.)

My kids all have cognitive impairments but they are independent in the bathroom/shower, etc. We will need meds, etc but not equipment.

One is hoping to stay in grandmas room.

We do have money for a hotel but it has other places it could.be much better used. Once it gets closer we can decide based on weather, etc.

• Like 1

Can you park very near the tents?   If it is reserved, then that is likely.   That simplifies things a lot.   You can take whatever you feel like for comfort without it being a problem.   For example, I take many pillows.   You can also leave a majority of your stuff in the car.  

Fwiw dh just bought a 4 person tent from Wal-Mart for $35 or so. Not a great one obviously but if you don't camp much it would be fine. I'd test out the ones you have to see how they work. My dh and I have slept in our 2 person tent no problem, he has slept in it w/ ds they sleep head to tail, we sleep face to face. I slept in a 2 person tent w/ my 3 young daughters and we survived just fine. If you have room there for your car and put your supplies in there I don't see it as a big deal. It is a bit of a pain to change when it is cramped like that but you can easily go to the bathroom to change. Also, your kids don't sound like they are very big so that makes a big difference. 

How chilly is it at night where you are? I wouldn't be able to sleep in a two man Trent with another person because the body heat and closeness would make it stifling. If it does get really chilly, don't upgrade to too large a tent.

• Like 1

How chilly is it at night where you are? I wouldn't be able to sleep in a two man Trent with another person because the body heat and closeness would make it stifling. If it does get really chilly, don't upgrade to too large a tent.

Temps would likely be mid 50s to mid 60s overnight.  Hard to say as we will be camping on Lake Huron.

• Like 1

If you are at a developed campground check if it is ok to tie up a tarp. The may not want people damaging trees etc.

If you put a tarp under your tent for a ground cloth make sure it is slightly smaller than the tent or the water will catch and run under your tent.

I would think two man tents are fine but if your family has any special needs I don't know. My entire family once had to sleep in a four man tent (won't derail your thread with why. :) ) and we survived. My husband is 6'2" and 240 lbs and I'm 5'9" 155lbs and my oldest son 6'4" oh and there are 6 of us. Now that I wouldn't advise that but the standard number is fine unless you buy giant inflatable mattresses. If you are bringing lots of stuff I would arrange it in the trunk or back of vehicle. Clothes can be put on in the bath house so that shouldn't be difficult with a smaller tent. If you have some kind of disability like back problems or knee injuries then you may struggle with a two man tent because you must climb in.

I like to keep a mat in front of the door when taking shoes off, especially for children. When packing light that would be the trash bag that doubles as a bag to keep stuff dry in my pack. When car camping it can be the rubber mat that I keep in the back of SUV to protect carpet when hauling stuff.

Edited by frogger