Menu

Why aren't tornado sirens standardized?

Katy

We ran to the basement.  Only to find out it's for a severe thunderstorm watch.  Not a tornado watch.  Not a warning.  Not high sheer-force winds warning.  While it has started thundering and raining a bit, the sirens seem overboard.

After having lived in Oklahoma for several years, we take sirens seriously.  I guess it's time to not.  Why aren't these decisions standardized?  If you're outside you can SEE a storm coming here in the midwest.  It's not like the mountains block the storms, and it's not like we have a high water table and you can get struck by remote lightening the way you can in say, Florida. 

• Like 2

Huh.  We don't have sirens for severe thunderstorm watches at all.  I've never heard of that.  Interesting.  That would frustrate me.  Actually, it would probably irritate me a lot.  Like you said, how would know if it is something imminent or something that MIGHT later on be an issue?  If they are going to have sirens for watches maybe you can get a movement together to advocate for differentiation in the type of sound used...

• Like 4

That's crazy and I'd be tempted to say something if it was a small town. Here sirens mean your life is in danger so seek shelter. Using them for thunderstorms can lead to alarm fatigue and delayed response.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 6

They have been everywhere I've lived that used tornado sirens. Except for weekly tests, they only go off during an active tornado warning. I would take that up with whoever's in charge of running the siren where you live, as that is definitely not the norm.

• Like 5

That's really weird. Here they are used for actual tornado warnings, not severe thunderstorm watches. (That's what the weather radio is for!) I'd have to check on it, but I believe I've read that they can also be used for other genuine emergency situations with the goal being to get people to check the news for instructions. (Obviously if the weather's bad, you know it's a tornado warning.)

ETA: Typos, typos.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler

I just realized I've never once in my life heard a tornado siren.

I hadn't either until we moved to our current town, but in every other place I've lived (northeast, southeast and northwest US), tornados were extremely rare, as I can only remember two or three tornados over the decades.

We have multiple tornados all around us every season so sirens are critical here. They're highly localized. They might go off in some parts of the county while remaining silent in other areas. If we hear a siren, we run for shelter.

• Like 1

First or Second Tuesday of the month is often test day, but they would postpone the test if there was any hint at severe weather. Sunny day only.

I was the siren button-pusher when I dispatched (small Midwest town), but the police chief or deputy chief had to authorize it, based on a tornado warning or a confirmed funnel cloud sighted (seen? Ugh, I'm tired) by a trained spotter. Or, if you were one of my coworkers, accidentally hitting the button when moving furniture in the dispatch room (it was hilarious later on, not so much at the time!).

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

I hadn't either until we moved to our current town, but in every other place I've lived (northeast, southeast and northwest US), tornados were extremely rare, as I can only remember two or three tornados over the decades.

We have multiple tornados all around us every season so sirens are critical here. They're highly localized. They might go off in some parts of the county while remaining silent in other areas. If we hear a siren, we run for shelter.

This was absolutely true within Oklahoma.  VERY localized.  I think they had every county broken down into 6 square mile townships, and the sirens and radio would only go off if it was in your area or you were directly in the path.

Since we moved out of Oklahoma, there's been a few times there was a siren on when there was a tornado two counties away, not in the path.

The storm this morning did get worse though, and the radar had some red areas, so maybe someone reported something but it couldn't be verified.  It's just sprinkling now.

• Like 1

If you want to hear a siren, you can search for video on the rescue of the two babies in Canton, Texas. Warning on children in peril and language, but you can hear the siren at the beginning without watching too much.

Last I heard the baby was released from the hospital and the toddler was in stable condition.

ETA: removed link. Rethought my decision to link it.

Edited by ErinE

The sirens only go off here for a warning. Yes, I agree I would be questioning your local area's officials.

The weather has gotten a lot crazier here (Iowa), and we watch for tornadic activity from March through about October. We just had a severe hail storm on February 28th that damaged our house and garage roofs.

**edited to add**  I used to live in OK. None of the houses (that I lived in--three different ones) had basements. I was flabbergasted that there were none. I was told it was due to the red dirt. This was back in the mid-80's.

Edited by JBJones

Only for warnings in GA too. We don't have them where I live in Atlanta.

I grew up in Oklahoma and now live in GA. The weather service here is awful. The sirens go off for everything and for the next county over. At the same time, they don't always go off for tornadoes near by. At this point, I just ignore them.

• Like 1

Was it windy? Here in Iowa they will set the sirens off if the wind is 60mph or higher. I don't know where you live, or if they have a rule like that or not. Sorry, I see you said there wasn't a wind warning. Although, we don't usually get wind warnings.

Maybe it was a mistake. We'll have a siren go off every once in a while on a nice day :) 

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama

Here we only get them for tornado watches. Being on the prairie, we usually have high winds (gusting at 60+ mph) several times a year, and I've never heard them set them off for that. Only tornadoes, and only if a tornado has been spotted and we're in its path.

I think they should only use the sirens if a Tornado has been reported by Weather Spotters or on Radar. I was a Weather Spotter in TX...

I also (very strongly) believe that more people who live in those areas should have Storm  Shelters (above ground or below ground).  IMO that's a better investment than a Swimming Pool. Obviously, one would use the Swimming Pool much more frequently, but it cannot save your life. I was surprised at how few people had a Storm Shelter, during the 28 years I lived in TX. Very very few in/near large cities like Dallas. 

Here in my midwestern state it's only for warnings as declared by the National Weather Service and on the first Wednesday of the month from March-Nov. Oh, and twice this year on the statewide test day which would have been cancelled if there had been a threat of severe weather.

I think they should only use the sirens if a Tornado has been reported by Weather Spotters or on Radar. I was a Weather Spotter in TX...

I also (very strongly) believe that more people who live in those areas should have Storm  Shelters (above ground or below ground).  IMO that's a better investment than a Swimming Pool. Obviously, one would use the Swimming Pool much more frequently, but it cannot save your life. I was surprised at how few people had a Storm Shelter, during the 28 years I lived in TX. Very very few in/near large cities like Dallas. 

Most homes in tornado-prone areas have basements, and most apartment buildings have some kind of inner room that's used as a tornado shelter. Mobile home parks are typically the only place where finding shelter can be iffy.

Most homes in tornado-prone areas have basements, and most apartment buildings have some kind of inner room that's used as a tornado shelter. Mobile home parks are typically the only place where finding shelter can be iffy.

Almost nowhere in TX has basements....

...not quite as tornado alley as Kansas or Oklahoma, but we definitely get our fair share (and then some). Best bet for sheltering in our house is either the pantry, which is under the stairs, or interior closet/bathroom adjacent to it; every other room or closet has an exterior wall or is upstairs. 

• Like 3

Almost nowhere in TX has basements....

...not quite as tornado alley as Kansas or Oklahoma, but we definitely get our fair share (and then some). Best bet for sheltering in our house is either the pantry, which is under the stairs, or interior closet/bathroom adjacent to it; every other room or closet has an exterior wall or is upstairs. 

Really? That's unusual. I guess I should amend my post to refer to the upper Midwest. Is there a reason they don't have basements? I'm curious now. :P

• Like 1

Really? That's unusual. I guess I should amend my post to refer to the upper Midwest. Is there a reason they don't have basements? I'm curious now. :p

Most of TX has too high of a water table, at least, that's what I've been told. Something to do with it being difficult/expensive/impossible to safely build an actual basement....now, it *can* be done, because we have underground parking garages, and some commercial buildings have basements, but for instance, in Houston, all the basements flood when it rains....I assume that would be true in other parts of the state as well. 

I've never investigated it much, just been told "it's not really feasible" and accepted it. My husband had never seen a basement until we visited my dad in MO; he was blown away with the entire concept, LOL!  (I had seen them in visiting my dad out of state all those years as a kid....). 

Anyway, yep, it's just something the otherwise wonderful state does not have. 

ETA: found this link which has good info on four different reasons, applicable to various parts of the state. In our part (Houston), all but the limestone would apply. 

http://www.zarealestate.com/4-reasons-homes-texas-dont-basements/

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 3

After we moved to upstate NY from the midwest, I was very confused when I heard a tornado siren. It was a beautiful day, blue sky, very few clouds, definitely not storming. Turned out that's how they notified the volunteer fire departments of a fire. It took a little while to not experience an adrenaline rush every time I heard them. 

Our home in Texoma didn't have a basement, nor any interior rooms. On the plus side, it was over 100 years old, so it wasn't in one of those locations that get hit by tornados over and over again. In fact, I don't think we ever heard a tornado siren while living there for 6 years.

ETA: living in WNY, we hear mystery sirens once in a while. Never been able to figure out what those are about - they're not at logical testing times, and not when there's likely to be a tornado either. 

Edited by luuknam

I used to live in a tornado-prone area. Most homes did not have basements. Maybe 15-20% had them.

Oklahoma doesn't have many basements either.  If you see them at all, it's in large, mansion-type homes from prior to the depression, and they are not very deep. Generally less than 6 feet.  I don't know if all the topsoil blew away or what, but I was told by a realtor that for a newer home to have a basement, they have to blast out the bedrock.  It's too close to the surface. 

Also, we bought a house with a tornado shelter there, but never got in it when sirens were going off.  There was always water in it, and even though we had a pump, it stopped working when the power went out, and there were big trees in our backyard.  I honestly never would have gotten in it for a tornado unless it was an F4 or F5 and were were absolutely sure to die without going in it.  The first year we were down there more people died drowning in their shelters after being trapped in them from downed trees than were killed by tornadoes themselves. 

And even though we kept ours pumped out, at one house we looked at twice (before we chose our house) we were warned not to use the tornado shelter there because it tended to collect water moccasins! We had a walk in closet between two bathrooms, and that is where we went during storms.  It was also a brick house.  If we had stayed longer we may have tried harder to waterproof the shelter or just bought a new one that was watertight.  I was told not to bother with the ones that were above ground - if you needed one they could get crushed by heavy equipment just as easily as a house.  I guess in one of the Moore tornadoes a crane was moved about half a mile and crushed everything in its path.

They have been everywhere I've lived that used tornado sirens. Except for weekly tests, they only go off during an active tornado warning. I would take that up with whoever's in charge of running the siren where you live, as that is definitely not the norm.

Are you motivated enough to write letters to your mayor, city council, emergency management manager of your area and other people in charge of that?

I would find out what the code is and ask others to help support the cause of sirens only for tornadoes. Maybe you could get a slot on your city council's monthly meeting agenda, maybe it's on a county level.

Good luck on getting some action. It'd be interesting to hear the outcome.

I know of very few homes in our area with basements. VERY FEW, and that is here in north central Texas. 

Oklahoma doesn't have many basements either. If you see them at all, it's in large, mansion-type homes from prior to the depression, and they are not very deep. Generally less than 6 feet. I don't know if all the topsoil blew away or what, but I was told by a realtor that for a newer home to have a basement, they have to blast out the bedrock. It's too close to the surface.

Also, we bought a house with a tornado shelter there, but never got in it when sirens were going off. There was always water in it, and even though we had a pump, it stopped working when the power went out, and there were big trees in our backyard. I honestly never would have gotten in it for a tornado unless it was an F4 or F5 and were were absolutely sure to die without going in it. The first year we were down there more people died drowning in their shelters after being trapped in them from downed trees than were killed by tornadoes themselves.

And even though we kept ours pumped out, at one house we looked at twice (before we chose our house) we were warned not to use the tornado shelter there because it tended to collect water moccasins! We had a walk in closet between two bathrooms, and that is where we went during storms. It was also a brick house. If we had stayed longer we may have tried harder to waterproof the shelter or just bought a new one that was watertight. I was told not to bother with the ones that were above ground - if you needed one they could get crushed by heavy equipment just as easily as a house. I guess in one of the Moore tornadoes a crane was moved about half a mile and crushed everything in its path.

I grew up in Tulsa and agree it is mostly older homes that have basements. I had quite a few friends who lived in homes built prior to 1940 who had partial basements. They were much deeper than 6ft, though. They usually had their laundry rooms down there.

We don't have storm sirens. We do, however, have nuclear warning sirens. They do a low volume test four or five times a year and a full volume test once a year. If it wasn't a test it would be done at full volume for five minutes "repeatedly." At this point we awe to tune into the emergency broadcast to find out if we shelter in place or evacuate.

We have fire sirens that notify the volenteers to turn out and man the truck. If there is a fire storm ( very rare event) the town that is about to be impacted may put on their fire siren. The siren will go for longer than 5 minutes to indicate a catastrophic bushfire is approaching. People in the area will also get a text and automatic message phone call.though most often the power is already out by then.

We don't get tornados.

I think ours only sounds when there's been a tornado spotted somewhere. Since I live by a school, we hear announcements over a loudspeaker that accompany sirens sometimes, but it's so garbled I don't know what they are saying most of the time! Occasionally I will hear, "this is a test. This is only a test" or whatever, but the testing sounds are a little different I think and not done during a storm lol.

We have these alerts on our cell phones that say "watch" and stuff. I don't know if mine is updated or how I even get them. Maybe dh set it up. I try to read the phone messages to see which type of thing is happening if I'm not sure what's going on.

We don't have storm sirens. We do, however, have nuclear warning sirens. They do a low volume test four or five times a year and a full volume test once a year. If it wasn't a test it would be done at full volume for five minutes "repeatedly." At this point we awe to tune into the emergency broadcast to find out if we shelter in place or evacuate.

Same here........ but I think you might live in the same general area that I do so it's probably the same sirens.

We are in north Texas and our sirens will go off for "severe weather." I have had to google it more than once during a storm to help calm a worried child.

We have learned to be somewhat concerned by the siren, but very alarmed when our phones start blasting warnings.

• Like 1

Hmmm....the only weather/tornado sirens I've ever heard in TX has been the sirens in my mother's hometown. They sound them every day to officially declare it lunch time (noon). Other than that, tornados are infrequent. A small one did run through the neighbor hood I grew up in last year. Completely ripped off the garage and roof of a house on the street behind the house I grew up in.

Stefanie

I am also from Oklahoma and from an area that does tend to get hit. My parent's house was hit by an F5 (more like side swiped because it ended up being repaired) four years ago. 

Basements are very rare, safe rooms or storm shelters are more common. There are also some "community safe rooms," that people can use if they have time to get there. Sometimes they have a lot of warning that a dangerous storm is approaching and they tend to cancel school if they think there is a possibility.

In OK sirens *ONLY* go off for a tornado warning. They did start localizing them because the sirens would go off then everyone would FIRST check to see where the tornado was located before bothering with any sort of precautions. If they sounded sirens for every thunderstorm the sirens would be going off quite a lot, that would be VERY ANNOYING.

I took this photo at my parent's house while I was home for Christmas one year.   I am sure other Okies remember this day. :lol:

post-2238-0-66474900-1494567474_thumb.jpg

post-2238-0-66474900-1494567474_thumb.jpg

Where we used to live in Colorado, they would periodically test the flood warning system. The first time we heard it blare we nearly freaked out. It wasn't an alarm per se, but a voice that boomed "CLIMB HIGH OR DIE". Honestly, it sounded like the voice of god--after a while it just cracked us up. Truly it was genius in getting one's attention. :)

• Like 4