Menu

Why I love the "spring ahead" time change

Lawana

Ugh, please don't remind me!

I have an 8:15 meeting an hour away.. so it'll really be 7:15, which means I need to leave at 6:00, so I've got to get up at 5:00??!!?? On a Saturday! I am not a morning person!

The time doesn't change until Saturday night/Sunday morning. So you should be good for Saturday!

• Like 2

My kiddos have gotten into the habit of playing outside with their friends until it gets dark and I force them in for dinner. It's going to be a pain making them realize they have to come in for dinner when there's still TONS of daylight playtime left.

Same here.

• Like 2

It was finally light enough to walk the dog or go for a run at 6:30am. Now sunrise won't be until after 7:00 again. I'm trying to be an early riser. I want my morning light! When I was a kid the time change wasn't until later in the spring. That made so much more sense.

• Like 9

I love the spring time change! I love extra daylight at a useful time! I love running errands after dh comes home and not having to drive in the dark!  :hurray:

Phew!  I thought I was going to be the only weird one.  I love the spring change and wish they would keep it year round.  I prefer it staying light later and enjoying more of the day after school/work.  It's a natural uplift for me.  I get up (naturally) before dawn anyway, so I don't care about the extra darkness then.  I can get pretty bummed with the fall change taking my daylight away - plus then I'm getting up an hour earlier even than my otherwise "typical" early - really messing things up.

• Like 9

Well I hate the whole concept, but as a morning person, I prefer the spring one, during the adjustment period.  Instead of falling asleep at 7pm, I can be more normal and stay awake until 8pm :-)

(In other words, in a couple of days, I will be typing this at the breakfast table at 3:45 am instead 2:45 am...more normal, right?)

Edited by Joules
  • Like 3

Our spring break is in April. See, that's jacked up too. Why can't they all coordinate ....

I know! This is really messing me up since DD is in college and DS is in high school. Their breaks never match up. We used to take a vacation for spring break, but now that doesn't work for everyone being home. Blah.

• Like 1

Our spring break is in April.  See, that's jacked up too.  Why can't they all coordinate ....

Our break is in April too--including my college kids, which we thought was really late. But I think the college must have coordinated with the local public schools because in the past the college spring breaks were in March. The public schools here take a winter break in Feb and spring break either last week of Mar or first week of Apr. Last year my dc were off from school at different times; this year they're off at the same time. (Well, except no Feb break for college.) But friends' dc who go to other colleges are on spring break this week. 

• Like 1

Ds is dual enrolled and his spring breaks do not line up. As he is a senior and really wants to go to Florida with high school friends, he spoke with his college profs and is going to take the week off from his college classes, two weeks after the college spring break. I am kind of surprised they are okay with that.

• Like 1

Phew!  I thought I was going to be the only weird one.  I love the spring change and wish they would keep it year round.  I prefer it staying light later and enjoying more of the day after school/work.  It's a natural uplift for me.  I get up (naturally) before dawn anyway, so I don't care about the extra darkness then.  I can get pretty bummed with the fall change taking my daylight away - plus then I'm getting up an hour earlier even than my otherwise "typical" early - really messing things up.

Me too! I was feeling really bad for awhile. 

I'm so excited that it will be light long enough to go for a walk after dinner. I love having the outdoors available in the evening. Also, because I don't have to be up early, I love having it stay dark longer. My dogs are getting up at 6:00 right now because that is when it gets light. I don't want to get up at 6:00 and will be thrilled for the reprieve. 

• Like 4

I hate it too, and honestly it's a hoax.  All you are doing is getting up an hour earlier, but you change the number on the clock so we are fooled?   Yeah, right!

I was in an area that did not change to daylight savings once.  It was so great!

• Like 4

I love DST! I wish we'd just keep it year round. We live on the eastern edge of our time zone and in the middle of winter it's dark by 4:30 in the afternoon. It's light until about 5:30 or so now but that still feels way too early. I'm looking forward to it being light out after dinner next week. Maybe I'll be able to start walking again. I don't have any free time to get outside until after dinner most days.

• Like 4

My husband says he will vote for any presidential candidate whose platform includes getting rid of the time change. He doesn't care what else they promise. :lol: That's how much we dislike it.

Agree x1000. Hate time change. I just posted my semiannual rant about it on FB. We should spring forward and just stay there.

• Like 1

I love, love, love DST and wish we had it all year. I love walking home from work when it's light out and spending time after dinner exercising outdoors or playing with our dog. We also see lots more of our neighbors which is nice. And since I have trouble sleeping in, I'm always hopeful that less light in the mornings will help me get more sleep because going to bed earlier isn't possible due to my husband's work schedule.

I absolutely dread the time change every fall. It just compounds the gloominess of PNW winters. The combination of signs of spring and the time change in March make me feel so good and hopeful.

• Like 5

I love DST! I wish we'd just keep it year round. We live on the eastern edge of our time zone and in the middle of winter it's dark by 4:30 in the afternoon. It's light until about 5:30 or so now but that still feels way too early. I'm looking forward to it being light out after dinner next week. Maybe I'll be able to start walking again. I don't have any free time to get outside until after dinner most days.

Amen. In the winter at its worst it gets dark at 3:30. I start counting the days until DST and wish we had it all year long.

• Like 3

I live in Singapore and have late evening conference calls several times a week with the NY office. You can tell I prefer the spring forward time.

Honestly though, I cannot understand why this is still a custom. Does it really reduce energy bills? Offices keep their lights and computers and airconditioning on all night anyway.

• Like 1

I usually grumble but do OK. But this time! I have to get up at 4am, which my body will think is 3am, and I'm already not getting enough sleep.

Dislike so hard.

What I don't understand is that there is evidence that the time change does cause real harm with the increase in car accidents and heart attacks, etc, but we still continue to do it. No amount of telling people to start going to bed a little earlier the nights leading up to the change helps if people have late evening obligations they can't adjust.

• Like 4

I think activities should be moved, not time.

So school starts at 8 one part of the year and 9 in the other.

Supper could be at 7 in summer and 6 in winter. So on.

I think activities should be moved, not time.

So school starts at 8 one part of the year and 9 in the other.

Supper could be at 7 in summer and 6 in winter. So on.

That would be immensely complicated - much more complicated than switching the clock once.

It's not just school start. You'd have to also change the bus schedule, the schedule for public transit, the work schedules of places of employment, the opening times of businesses, the schedules for kids' activities, for adult activities, for churches.... the logistics of switching the time for all activities is not feasible.

Edited by regentrude

That would be immensely complicated - much more complicated than switching the clock once.

It's not just school start. You'd have to also change the bus schedule, the schedule for public transit, the work schedules of places of employment, the opening times of businesses, the schedules for kids' activities, for adult activities, for churches.... the logistics of switching the time for all activities is not feasible.

Lol, it would be different but it's definitely feasible.

Even within the us I've lived in places where the normal times for things​ are different.