Menu

"Gay moment" in the new Beauty and the Beast??

Moxie

Like I said in my other post, I'm sick today so I've spent all day on the interwebs.

Lots of my uber-conservative friends are boycotting the new Beauty and the Beast movie because of a "gay moment". Afaik, no one has seen the movie yet, right?? What is this about??

FYI-I'm kinda conservative but my kids are aware that gay people exist and can be married so I don't give a darn about a "gay moment". We're excited to see the movie!

I don't know about the new movie, but I wanted to say I hope you feel better soon! :grouphug:

Thanks, I'm doing much better. I'm mostly staying away from the fam because spring break is coming and I don't want them dropping like flies!

• Like 1

My BIL and his wife are boycotting Disney over it, not just the movie.

My parents-in-laws think Hollywood is a make believe universe and couldn't care less. Besides they aren't into Disney merchandise or theme parks so nothing to boycott.

My parents like the Disney movies when I was a kid in the 70s. They don't like any of the remakes anyway. They also don't buy Disney merchandise.

My kids don't like Disney movies so we didn't bother to even borrow the movie DVDs from the library. The only movie they wanted to watch was Lego the movie.

• Like 1

LeFou, Gaston's sidekick, is gay and in love with Gaston even though he's a womanizing jerk.  I kind of figured that was the case in the animated version so I'm not sure why this is so horrifying.  The director said the whole "exclusively gay moment" statement (which is what caused people to freak out) was completely overblown.

Apparently, this "exclusively gay moment" is, in its entirety, LeFou (which translates to the fool) subtly flirting with Gaston (who is not interested in anything but himself, really) and then later LeFou is shown dancing with another guy.  There was nothing in the script, by the way, that specifically said LeFou was gay.  It simply ended up played that way.

• Like 5

Some are calling for the boycott of Disney completely.  Maybe this will lower the crowds in the parks.   But my guess is it won't.

Sigh.

*snort*  Yeah, Disney is so going to suffer over this one. 

• Like 12

I heard about the gay moment in the movie but don't know anything about a boycott.

I'm conservative and I don't actually know any conservatives who have a problem with gay people or gay marriage or anything gay, really. So I always wonder who these conservatives are that are so against it. Maybe it's because I'm not religious that I never encounter these people? 

• Like 1

I heard about the gay moment in the movie but don't know anything about a boycott.

I'm conservative and I don't actually know any conservatives who have a problem with gay people or gay marriage or anything gay, really. So I always wonder who these conservatives are that are so against it. Maybe it's because I'm not religious that I never encounter these people?

Yes, it is my religious conservative friends who are clutching their pearls over "America going straight to hell". Whatevs.

• Like 5

In the animated version and Butter's recounting of the live-action movie, isn't Disney kind of making fun of LeFou (is that French for "the fool"?) and his lost cause crush? Why are people who are anti-gay boycotting a movie that seems to be making fun of gay people?

Yet another mystery about the world that I don't understand.

• Like 1

The main thing I have learned from this is that hardcore social conservatives don't know how to read gay subtext, like the subtext in the original animated film.

Part of me is - honestly - laughing at them. But part of me is like, well, this is the further polarization of American media. It's not so hard to foresee a future where the two Americas watch different movies, listen to different music, have a completely different set of celebrities... It's practically here.

• Like 16

My BIL and his wife are boycotting Disney over it, not just the movie.

My parents-in-laws think Hollywood is a make believe universe and couldn't care less. Besides they aren't into Disney merchandise or theme parks so nothing to boycott.

My parents like the Disney movies when I was a kid in the 70s. They don't like any of the remakes anyway. They also don't buy Disney merchandise.

My kids don't like Disney movies so we didn't bother to even borrow the movie DVDs from the library. The only movie they wanted to watch was Lego the movie.

Have them tell all their friends!!!!

The last boycott, remember, when Disney allowed Gay Days???  Well, DH worked for Disney then.....no boycott for us.

• Like 2

In the animated version and Butter's recounting of the live-action movie, isn't Disney kind of making fun of LeFou (is that French for "the fool"?) and his lost cause crush? Why are people who are anti-gay boycotting a movie that seems to be making fun of gay people?

Yet another mystery about the world that I don't understand.

Oh silly, you'd have to be educated in French to catch the nuance. Education and fundamentalists rarely mix. Anyway, I'm under the impression most of these people have been boycotting Disney since the 90's when they "encouraged witchcraft" and when they extended domestic partnership benefits years before other large corporations did.

• Like 5

Oh silly, you'd have to be educated in French to catch the nuance. Education and fundamentalists rarely mix. 

Wow.  :ohmy: That's painting with a pretty broad brush.

As far as my perspective as a conservative Christian goes: I do NOT understand why some Christians expect secular companies to advocate for or uphold Scriptural truth. I really don't. I don't understand the uproar over this, or Starbucks holiday cups, or sex ed in public schools, or Target bathrooms. These organizations aren't Christian and don't claim to be.

I just don't see a Biblical basis for spending a lot of time or energy on this type of thing. Now, if your conscience tells you not support something with which you disagree, I respect that. You shouldn't support it if it violates your conscience. But this idea that we have to force the world to conform to what we know to be true--I don't get that.

Christians can and should speak truth. People can accept it or reject it. But wasting your time getting working up about a secular movie just doesn't seem to be profitable. YMMV.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 21

Gaston's toady is crushing on him.

Which was pretty obvious in the animated version too.

Yeah, I got that from the original too. Not sure I'm a fan of making it some sort of massive plot point if it doesn't fit the story, but if they work it into the narrative so it isn't all weird and soap box-ish I don't mind.

Any romance that feels forced or like it's proving a point is not my thing in media. Well done? Fine.

That's irrespective of what I think the Bible says on the matter of human sexuality - in someone else's creative endeavor I don't feel particularly strongly, and I'm a very conservative Christian. This isn't some monolithic thing.

Edited by Arctic Mama

LeFou, Gaston's sidekick, is gay and in love with Gaston even though he's a womanizing jerk. I kind of figured that was the case in the animated version so I'm not sure why this is so horrifying. The director said the whole "exclusively gay moment" statement (which is what caused people to freak out) was completely overblown.

Apparently, this "exclusively gay moment" is, in its entirety, LeFou (which translates to the fool) subtly flirting with Gaston (who is not interested in anything but himself, really) and then later LeFou is shown dancing with another guy. There was nothing in the script, by the way, that specifically said LeFou was gay. It simply ended up played that way.

Yeah, not sure what's so offensive about that. It's not like gay men and women don't exist. That sounds pretty incidental and tasteful to me.

Okay, I have to ask. To what are you referring here? I'm afraid to google.  :blush:

I think she just means Bella falling in love with Beast (who is not a human man, but a buffalo.)

I hate to even admit this, but I have a friend who won't allow her kids to watch it because she thinks it is beastiality.

• Like 1

There have been gay characters in movies since movies began.  Eric Blore practically had a career playing gay valet/sidekick in the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers films.  Edward Everett Horton was big in the 30s and 40s as well.

The one line I wish all people would realize comes from the Oscar winning "Moonlight."   The boy asks his father figure what is a fa**ot.  He (Mahershala Ali's character) replies "A ________is a word used to make gay people feel bad."  Perfect definition.  Wonderful writing.  Can be used for so many other words.

Oh well, smaller lines for me and my kids.

• Like 12

Oh cwap.  Now I guess we'll have to skip the movie.  Do I burn our old animated copy?  Look how exposure to such things has ruined my kids!  :ohmy:

I'm so glad I have the Hive to keep me up on all these do's and don'ts we conservative Christians are supposed to be following.   :lol:

(Actually, I don't think we were going to watch the movie anyway - not our preferred type, and we already know the story so it'd be boring (to us) - but this could give me an excuse to visit Disney for a few days or something.   :coolgleamA: )

• Like 2

There have been gay characters in movies since movies began.  Eric Blore practically had a career playing gay valet/sidekick in the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers films.  Edward Everett Horton was big in the 30s and 40s as well.

The one line I wish all people would realize comes from the Oscar winning "Moonlight."   The boy asks his father figure what is a fa**ot.  He (Mahershala Ali's character) replies "A ________is a word used to make gay people feel bad."  Perfect definition.  Wonderful writing.  Can be used for so many other words.

Oh well, smaller lines for me and my kids.

I think the "horror" is because it is a cartoon, for kids......

And if you look at gay characters in old movies, it was often to make fun of them.  

I am currently taping old Johnny Carson reruns since I never watched him back in the day.  The number of times they make snide remarks about gays is astounding.  Never once do they have a gay on their show who is outed and address it head on.  And there were a number of gay actors on the show. 

I think she just means Bella falling in love with Beast (who is not a human man, but a buffalo.)

Belle resembles a human girl while the beast resembles a buffalo, and they totally fall in love and everything is perfectly natural :p

Ah. LOL. Obviously I am a little slow on the uptake.  :o

Thanks, guys! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Yeah, not sure what's so offensive about that. It's not like gay men and women don't exist. That sounds pretty incidental and tasteful to me.

I know, right? What exactly are people afraid of? Little kids aren't going to notice. Older kids may ask about it, which could lead to a good conversation. Why the angst?

• Like 1

Hilarious to me is the fact that Beast is an abusive spouse that Belle changes with her lurve and beauty but that is ignored. Not exactly a great message.

• Like 9

I've had a friend mention boycotting, I think it makes her look ridiculous.   I'm sure she's laughed at "funny gay sidekick" characters her whole life, and was OK with ti as long as it wasn't explicit.  Or -- what did they used to say ? Not "shoved down her throat". Remember that phrase being used all the time? Glad it's gone.

I think the "horror" is because it is a cartoon, for kids......

And if you look at gay characters in old movies, it was often to make fun of them.  

I am currently taping old Johnny Carson reruns since I never watched him back in the day.  The number of times they make snide remarks about gays is astounding.  Never once do they have a gay on their show who is outed and address it head on.  And there were a number of gay actors on the show. 

Well then, they better boycott "Bambi" too because of Flower.

I thought Disney was still being boycotted over "Gay Days" at Disney World? At least that was on the news way back when I lived in Orlando.  I guess hosting Christian Music things some how made it all O.K.

Edited by umsami

The bigger issue for me is why the media feels the need to feed the divisions. If the content is as presented in these posts, it's a non-issue. However, the media I saw made it sound like there would be a big dramatic gay kissing scene or something. You can't tell me that's not intended to stir up trouble. I used to be a news junkie. I loved reading multiple news sources and different opinions on a daily basis. Now, I'm just...tired. I don't enjoy reading different media sources anymore. You can almost guess which stories and point of view each different media outlet will present before reading a single article. Even fairy tales and kid movies aren't exempt. Sigh.

• Like 8

Ah. LOL. Obviously I am a little slow on the uptake. :o

Thanks, guys!

I don't think you're slow.

I think the "problem" is that there is no *commercial* way to portray the Beast that would really show the truth of a disfigurement so horrible that the Beast would isolate himself completely from society, and so horrible that society would completely reject him to the point of attempting to murder him.

He needs to be portrayed as something *not so bad* so he is a big, hulking furry thing, instead of someone like say, Joseph Merrick.

• Like 4

Well then, they better boycott "Bambi" too because of Flower.

I thought Disney was still being boycotted over "Gay Days" at Disney World? At least that was on the news way back when I lived in Orlando.  I guess hosting Christian Music things some how made it all O.K.

Wait, what about Flower?

And I have no idea if Disney is still on the boycott list since I know of no one who has mentioned it and many of my Christian friends go regularly.

• Like 2

I don't think you're slow.

I think the "problem" is that there is no *commercial* way to portray the Beast that would really show the truth of a disfigurement so horrible that the Beast would isolate himself completely from society, and so horrible that society would completely reject him to the point of attempting to murder him.

He needs to be portrayed as something *not so bad* so he is a big, hulking furry thing, instead of someone like say, Joseph Merrick.

Why would he be disfigured?  Are you referring to an arcane version of the story?  In the version I always read in my old fairy tale books as a kid he was a man put under a spell to be a beast--to look like some sort of animal.  He would often have tusks and would be a big, hulking furry thing.

Also, this bugs me:  in the books, he is unfailingly polite.  A perfect gentleman.  Beauty falls in love with him for his gentle personality and is able to look past his appearance by the end of the story.  I didn't like how in the movie he was a rude, spoiled brat who needed Beauty to change him with her love.  Blech.

The book version is my favorite fairy tale.  The animated version was ok, but not my favorite.  I'm still going to see the movie, though, because it looks like fun and I liked the animated version well enough.

• Like 8