Menu

"Gay moment" in the new Beauty and the Beast??

Moxie

Why would he be disfigured? Are you referring to an arcane version of the story? In the version I always read in my old fairy tale books as a kid he was a man put under a spell to be a beast--to look like some sort of animal. He would often have tusks and would be a big, hulking furry thing.

Also, this bugs me: in the books, he is unfailingly polite. A perfect gentleman. Beauty falls in love with him for his gentle personality and is able to look past his appearance by the end of the story. I didn't like how in the movie he was a rude, spoiled brat who needed Beauty to change him with her love. Blech.

The book version is my favorite fairy tale. The animated version was ok, but not my favorite. I'm still going to see the movie, though, because it looks like fun and I liked the animated version well enough.

I'm not sure what you mean. I think a human who now looks like a beast is disfigured.

The main thing I have learned from this is that hardcore social conservatives don't know how to read gay subtext, like the subtext in the original animated film.

That's so funny because i was thinking the opposite.  That those who are socially liberal seem to see gay subtext everywhere.  lol

• Like 2

I'm not sure what you mean. I think a human who now looks like a beast is disfigured.

Ok--I see. This is how you picture it. I thought you had some sort of cool, original version that I'd never heard of. Or else you were meaning that the story was a metaphor for disfigured people who have to hide themselves away. Your interpretation is pretty unique.

In the story, he's just called Beast and I was pretty sure he was meant to look like some sort of literal animal/monster with a human brain, transformed through magic, not just that he was disfigured into being unbearably ugly. In all the illustrations in the fairy tale books with illustrations, he's furry with horns or with canine teeth. One version has him have an elephant trunk in the illustration.

Actually, I think your interpretation of the story makes it even better. :)

Edited by Garga

Hilarious to me is the fact that Beast is an abusive spouse that Belle changes with her lurve and beauty but that is ignored. Not exactly a great message.

Personally, *this* was what I had a problem with when my DD was small. I just hated the storyline.

But now that she's grown up, we're definitely seeing this! I love that Emma Watson is Belle and the live-action looks awesome.

Characters in Disney movies who appear to be gay are hardly revolutionary. I always assumed Timone and Pumba in Lion King were a nod to gay culture.

• Like 1

Ok--I see. This is how you picture it. I thought you had some sort of cool, original version that I'd never heard of. Or else you were meaning that the story was a metaphor for disfigured people who have to hide themselves away. Your interpretation is pretty unique.

In the story, he's just called Beast and I was pretty sure he was meant to look like some sort of literal animal/monster with a human brain, transformed through magic, not just that he was disfigured into being unbearably ugly. In all the illustrations in the fairy tale books with illustrations, he's furry with horns or with canine teeth. One version has him have an elephant trunk in the illustration.

Actually, I think your interpretation of the story makes it even better. :)

I've tried to consider it as an oral tale first, and go from there. If a man is so physically hideous that he is completely isolated from society...why would that be? Certainly, people have been born with birth defects or suffered disfiguring accidents or had a disease which altered their appearance.

In an oral tradition, how would that be relayed?

And then, how would it be written down; finally, how would it be illustrated?

Who is so hideous that they need to be hidden away?

• Like 1

I don't have little kids so I won't be going to see it.  I am one of those parents who see children's movies really only because of the kids.  I think I saw one children's movie since my kids were teens and that was because the two younger teens still wanted to see it.  The only one of my kids who still wants to see those kinds of movies will probably see it. 

• Like 1

The bigger issue for me is why the media feels the need to feed the divisions. If the content is as presented in these posts, it's a non-issue. However, the media I saw made it sound like there would be a big dramatic gay kissing scene or something. You can't tell me that's not intended to stir up trouble. I used to be a news junkie. I loved reading multiple news sources and different opinions on a daily basis. Now, I'm just...tired. I don't enjoy reading different media sources anymore. You can almost guess which stories and point of view each different media outlet will present before reading a single article. Even fairy tales and kid movies aren't exempt. Sigh.

I'm the same way.  I rarely read anything news related, which is very sad because it's hard to teach DD about current events when we can't even trust how those events are being reported.  To me IT IS the media dividing America.  They need to have this constant friction to stay alive and relevant. I refuse to participate.

For us it's simple:  If we feel the movie in question is lacking in taste, we don't watch it and move on to something more enjoyable for us.  We don't initiate boycotts or rat it out to our friends.  Heck, half the time, @ 14, we let DD watch R-rated movies with us.  We have some great discussions on why we do or don't endorse the actions happening in the movie.  I would rather be able to discuss these things with her than not. 

To us it's irresponsible to keep DD sequestered from real life and then throw her, unprepared, into the world when she goes to college.

• Like 3

I don't have little kids so I won't be going to see it.  I am one of those parents who see children's movies really only because of the kids.  I think I saw one children's movie since my kids were teens and that was because the two younger teens still wanted to see it.  The only one of my kids who still wants to see those kinds of movies will probably see it. 

I was 18 when the animated version came out, and had just enough "kid" still left in me that I wanted to see the latest Disney cartoon movie because growing up a new Disney movie was a special event.

I'm going to see the new version now because this is the last Disney movie I watched when I still felt a bit like a kid.  However, I wouldn't go if it was a cartoon.  I'm sick of cartoons now that I'm a parent.  But a live-action version?  Yup.  There's a lot of nostalgia there for me and I'm looking forward to it.  

A Little Mermaid is the Disney movie I respond to the most because Ariel was 16 in the movie and I was 16 years old when I went to see it.  Drove myself there.  I was much more of a kid during A Little Mermaid, so of all the Disney cartoons, that one has the best memories for me.  I don't much remember the others.  

Oh!  And since this is about Gay Moments in Disney movies:  my boyfriend when I was 16 also loved A Little Mermaid.  He bought the sound track and we'd belt out the songs together a few times a week for an entire year.  I found out later...he's gay.  Marrying his boyfriend this year  :)  Disney and musicals and gayness all go together in my mind.  

And it was pretty obvious LaFou was gay in the animated version.  

• Like 1

The bigger issue for me is why the media feels the need to feed the divisions. If the content is as presented in these posts, it's a non-issue. However, the media I saw made it sound like there would be a big dramatic gay kissing scene or something. You can't tell me that's not intended to stir up trouble. I used to be a news junkie. I loved reading multiple news sources and different opinions on a daily basis. Now, I'm just...tired. I don't enjoy reading different media sources anymore. You can almost guess which stories and point of view each different media outlet will present before reading a single article. Even fairy tales and kid movies aren't exempt. Sigh.

The reason the media you saw made it sound like a big deal is because people, including the media, were reacting to words not what was actually in the movie.  The director stated in an interview that LeFou was openly gay and there was "an exclusively gay moment."  From there people's imaginations ran wild.  They were guessing at what he meant.  At least one theater pulled the movie because of it.  They had no idea what that moment actually was.  So in response the director was like, "this has been seriously overblown" and he talked about what actually is in the movie.

• Like 3

I guess one thing that separates dh and I from many other parents we know is that we've never felt particularly inclined to movies or books that sanitize life. I mean, ya...when they are four, innocent is nice. At ten we are definitely talking about the reality of life. People come in a huge variety of shapes, colors, sizes, cultures, beliefs, customs, ....diversity. We never expected to shelter the kids from diversity.

We have extended family members that are not heterosexual so my kids have seen two women dancing at a wedding, two men deciding who is going to change the baby's diaper this time. Religious belief on the subject doesn't change the reality, and these are lovely people we would never want to cut out of our lives. LeFou and another dude dancing? LOL, just another day in the life for us.

But I realize that many people don't see it the same way. Still, the boycott thing never quite made sense to me. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you. Trying to force a corporation to believe what you believe and act in accordance seems rather weird.

• Like 4

It wasn't to me. It just looked like the fawning required by the runt to stay on the good side of the alpha male.

Another one that felt that way. Reminds me of the bull dog and little runt-y dog in one Bugs Bunny show that ended up taking a Dr. Jeckell and Mr. Hyde version of Sylvester.... The little dog following along the bull dog making several suggestions of things he could do for him.....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not to mention the Stockholm syndrome....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I think this is a bad message. I've always been bothered by this part of the story. Fall in Love with guy who controls you--not what I want my DD to learn.

I never thought of the beast as an actual beast even when he's drawn that way. I always thought he was just supposed to be ugly. Never made the leap to beastiality. Honestly, I think the "gay moment" is the same. It's there if you want to see it. It's probably not that noticeable to children.

• Like 2

Well, I'm a Disney travel agent whose family (immediate and extended) is obsessed with all things Disney. I can't imagine what it would take for us to boycott, but it would have to be really ugly. Some of the most priceless moments I've ever had are those watching my grandchildren meet their favorite characters in the Disney parks.

I had a young friend from our home school mom's group post about the uproar and she made a great point; Christians (and I am one so this is not just to bash on Christians) don't mind seeing movies that glorify adultery, violence, sex, etc., but they'll boycott over something like this. It's absolutely absurd.

Now, I have some very conservative Christian friends who see none of the above, listen to no music other than hymns or classical pieces, and definitely uphold a standard for themselves and their family. I also rarely see them preach or comment on such things. Others who pick and choose what "worldly" things are acceptable just come across as hypocrites.

I have no issues with boycotting over things that you disagree with personally (I've done it myself a few times, and likely will again in this lifetime), but I learned a long time ago that if you boycott every company that does something objectionable, you'd be able to do nothing and shop nowhere.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 3