Menu

Do you order online and pick up at the store for groceries?

Ann.without.an.e

When I was working full time I ordered my groceries online and picked them up after work.

It was great. Rarely had a problem. If I did, usually in the form of a missing item, the store would deliver it to me within a few hours.

I didn't tip the workers who loaded my groceries.

• Like 1

I did it twice.  They don't take tips (at least the store I ordered from did not).  I didn't like it so much because they called me three times to ask about substitutions even though I told them not to substitute.  Then when I got there to pick it up they asked me about this or that substitution which made checking out take quite some time.  More time than it would have taken normally.  They did a fine job with picking out produce and meat so no complaints there.  I dunno.  I keep thinking I want to do this again, but I remember being called so much and I didn't like that. 

• Like 1

I would love it and absolutely would use it if my favorite grocery store had this. 

I had Shipt for a year. When it first came to my area they offered a discount on memberships so I decided to try it. While I had no problems with any of the delivery people, I didn't find it worth the cost. There's an upcharge on items in addition to the membership fee, and the store's sale prices weren't always honored. I used it a few times when I was really busy or didn't feel well, but did not renew. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I love doing this. We did it for years, until we moved 18 mos ago and there's no store here that does it. I miss it!

We got to know the shoppers, and they learned our preferences. So, I might say, "no substitutes" on certain items, but not on others - due to allergies - and they came to know what was ok/not ok. They were very proactive about allergy issues, actually, and sort of "owned" it, it was as pretty cool.

The only times I didn't care for it were right before a cooking holiday (thanksgiving! Aack!) or a big snowstorm. At those times they were slammed and it wasn't as easy.

They would not accept tips, but I insisted on giving holiday gifts. :)

Ours charged $5 per shopping trip, no matter the size of the order. Or $20/month for unlimited trips. I think there was an annual option that was even less. That money was well spent, for me. I hate shopping. And with littles - even more. Plus, all the stores here pass out cookies for the kids at the door, so all the carts had to be decontaminated for my kiddo with LTFAs. And I was anxious about him rubbing his eyes or mouth the whole time, so while he was little - I loved this service!

• Like 1

Walmart does it for free here but I've never tried it. I just cannot imagine letting someone else pick out my produce or meat. I am way too picky, and our Walmart often has pathetic produce and a tiny selection of meat. I also like to shop for the marked down meats, and you couldn't really do that. I guess it would be good for people who use a lot of packaged food and consistently buy the same brands, which I don't. 

• Like 3

I've not ordered groceries from a local store but I have used Peapod several times in the past.  Sometimes, the driver will carry the groceries in for me and put them on my kitchen counter.  I tip $5-7 when they do this.  If the driver brings the groceries to my door and I have to run back and forth to the kitchen with bags, I tip $3-4.  I enjoy using the service when I have a really busy week.  The time that I save from running to the grocery store allows me to get more done in the house.

• Like 1

I do it at Kroger. I love it. No tipping.

They have better produce than the store has (not sure how...I think they pull it from the back). I save enough time that I was able to add couponing at CVS which is helping keep my budget low. I use online coupons, and doing my shopping in the comfort of my home means I make less mistakes than shopping with my impatient children.

They often substitute items, and I always get better for the same price. I count that a win, too. But I am not brand specific about hardly anything, so if I get quaker oats instead of Kroger vrand, that is fine with me.

I do this for my big trip every week. My fridge and pantry are too small for us, so I need a midweek trip, too, for produce. I alternate Aldi, a big international market, and a produce coop for the midweek trip.

Edited by Zinnia
  • Like 2

Yes! I love Kroger Clicklist! At first I was worried that the meat and produce wouldn't be fresh, but surprisingly they were fresher than I get most of the time at Kroger. It was like they pulled from the boxes that had just been delivered to the store. Also, you can specially note how you want the produce, like "bananas mostly yellow with some green still on them".

The website keeps track of what I order most so ordering groceries is easy because the list is pretty much all ready made for me.

The first 3 orders were free, and it's just a $5.00 charge after that. It's a savings for me because I usually spend more than that in impulse buys.

• Like 4

I just did click list through Kroger today. This is my second week in a row and it has been fabulous. I spent less time planning and less money both weeks. Plus today it is raining and they load your groceries under an awning.

They do a great job with the produce, I leave notes saying exactly what I want and so far they have done great. We don't tip, it's not expected. The only substitute I have had was blackberries. Last week they were on sale for $0.88, but were out. They gave me the organic berries for the same price.

They just made same day service available which sold me completely. They save everything we buy using our Kroger card so building your shopping list is easy.

• Like 3

After HomeGrocer died in the tech bubble, I've never found any online grocery ordering system I like enough to use regularly.

When things were really hairy at home (new baby, dying parent) we did Amazon Fresh for a year or so back when it was still free here in Seattle. I've tried it occasionally since then but they went to a $299 fee model for the year and that wasn't worth it to me. Now they have a $15/month fee and that's still not worth it to me. I have 2 grocery stores on easy walking distance and I'm price sensitive so I'm just not their targeted demographic.

• Like 1

I do it sometimes, but the website is such a pain, so I wind up going through the aisles and picking up a few specialty items anyway.

I absolutely do not tip, because they already charge me $10 for the service, and I know my store pays above minimum wage.  (Also, the shopper and the persib who takes my money are rarely the same.)

• Like 1

I've been doing it for three years or so and picked up an order today after I went to the gym. It started because I was having 3x a week PT for my ankle and knee, and going into a store was agony. Then I just kept it because it was so convenient for me. DH used to pick it up on the way from work sometimes, and I've had my college student pick it up and use our joint credit card.

During the week I put things into my cart until I know I'm going to be in the area or because we really need to restock. You can do it on the website or via an app.

It also lists "recent purchases" so I can choose things I order frequently.

It's very easy for me to shop the specials as I put together my menus. 

They also have weekly freebies, and sometimes give me more and/or better for the same price if they're out of an item. As an example, they were out of the "coleslaw kit" I ordered and gave me a bigger bag of shredded cabbage and a jar of Marzetti dressing for the same price.

If you think of something you forgot, you can add to your order up to four hours before pick-up or call the store and ask them to add to your order.

I've only had errors three times, all minor issues. Once I got someone else's meat, which they told me to just keep, and they'd call the individual to give a replacement or refund. Once they missed a bag and once they missed toilet paper. In both of those cases, they offered to refund the items or give me a gift card if someone could come by and get it that day or the next.

I've never been disappointed with the meat or produce. Today they called to say that the bananas were extremely green and suggested that I cancel that. I did.

Can you tell that I love online grocery ordering? And no tips accepted. Periodically I donate to their employee benevolence fund to make up for that.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 4

It's to stressful for me to allow someone else choose my groceries. I don't trust anyone to choose my fruits and vegetables or meats. The thought that they might get cold food first, or might not check expiration dates on bread, yeah to stressful. I have a system that works for me.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 2

I've never done it, I'm not sure anyone offers this service near us other than Sam's Club.  But my first thought was that I would love to be the person at the store doing the shopping for people!  I LOVE grocery shopping, I think it would be great fun to fill up shopping cart after shopping cart and not have to pay for it myself.  :) 

• Like 4

It wouldn't work for me, we eat mostly meat and produce and while I guess I could use it for some things there's no way I'd trust them to pick my produce.  I'm very particular about dates, the look of something, and ripeness.  If I'm going to have to pick out produce myself then I might as well get the rest.  What I do use the online shopping for is to get exact prices of things that aren't in the flyer so I have a better idea of my cost before I go in (also to make sure the store actually carries what I want and for the cheapest price).

I've never done it, I'm not sure anyone offers this service near us other than Sam's Club. But my first thought was that I would love to be the person at the store doing the shopping for people! I LOVE grocery shopping, I think it would be great fun to fill up shopping cart after shopping cart and not have to pay for it myself. :)

We recently went to a tour of our grocery store. The people who do the shopping are in their own department and they all seem to love their jobs. We were a test market before it rolled out across the company and they really seem to take pride in their job. I worked in a grocery store through high school and college and it was neat seeing the process of how they do the shopping. It is very well laid out so you don't have to worry about your raw meat touching your produce or whatever.

I haven't yet, but I just watched this youtube video about how even though it costs more, ordering online saves money because you skip impulse items and stick to your meal plan more. I'm thinking about trying it.

I have definitely saved on impulse purchases the last couple weeks.

This is my 2nd week doing it and I REALLY LOVE it!!!  I work on my Click List order over the weekend and submit it Sunday evening and pick up Monday morning.  I think it will save me money too because I'm not running in the store every other day making impulse purchases.  I plan out dinner menus for the week when making my order.  Also, it shows what you have ordered recently so that makes it easy. 

I was worried about someone else picking out my meat and produce, but they do a great job.  The department manager has to approve the selection.  

This would have been so nice to have when I had 3 in diapers for 2 years.  

You're not allowed to tip the employees.

ETA:  I also find myself using coupons now.  You can load digital coupons onto your shopper card and then also give them your paper coupons at the drive thru.  I was bad about leaving my coupons in the car before and not wanting to go back for them.

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys
  • Like 2

Oh wow, this has recently changed my life. It JUST came to put area with our localish grocery store. I was skeptical at first. But hey, when I normally grocery shop I take my electric wheelchair instead of my normal manual. I hold the 21 month old in my lap and try to keep him distracted with food and such. With the same I secure him with, I attempt to power and steer. The other arm is pulling a shopping cart, that when full, threatens to tear my arm off at each joint. This is exacerbated by my energetic 7 yo jumping on for a ride every 2 minutes.

Now I can keep a running shopping list, order everything via an app on my phone, pull in, and have someone bring everything to my van. They even bring the kids animal crackers to eat!

There has been a learning curve, me figuring out how to order specific products, designate any substitutions, and how to leave specific notes for items. Today my avocados were terrible (I feared this!) but they refunded my money, had me keep the old, AND let me pick up fantastic replacements.

Because it is new, they have a fee waiver for the first 4 visits, then a $4.95 charge after that. I am THRILLED with that! I spend more than that trying to feed/bribe/occupy the kids in store:)

This grocery store also does not allow tips...but DO allow them to accept tips for charity. I like this...they get paid a better wage, and still know that their work is valued for a vulnerable community.

• Like 3

I started doing this years ago at Safeway.com when I was on bedrest during my last two pregnancies.  It was totally worth the cost because when I sent DH for groceries it usually took a minimum of three irritating/ irritated phone calls.  Our store didn't accept tips.  Any delivery over $150 was free.  I got out of the habit once I was back on my feet.  I recently started again, and I tried Safeway again, but I have discovered that free delivery is almost a thing of the past, and sale prices are not always honored, not to mention same day delivery only happens if you order before 7am & the delivery window is huge which means my groceries are out of the store for longer than I would like.   Then I discovered Prime.Now from Amazon.  Competitive prices, check; no delivery fee, check; same day delivery and 2 hour delivery window, check & check.  Cue the heavenly chorus.  I do get a text for substitutions or clarifications (Did you mean 25 Jalapeños or .25 lb of jalapeños?) and there is a recommended "tip" that I can change up or down.  I really like it, but that is because it is cold & rainy & I don't drive YMMV :)

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

I've never done it, I'm not sure anyone offers this service near us other than Sam's Club. But my first thought was that I would love to be the person at the store doing the shopping for people! I LOVE grocery shopping, I think it would be great fun to fill up shopping cart after shopping cart and not have to pay for it myself. :)

I shop online at Wal Mart for grocery pick up. I started using it when walking around was painful and hauling two toddlers with me even more so. Having worked with the same people for months, I end up asking questions about the service. They say the second most popular job in the store is the online order filler. The most popular is the order pick up assistant because the hours are usually in the daytime.

Edited by ErinE

Oh, I forgot one part that I really loved about shopping in the summer.  My ice cream always made it home frozen!  :)  They shop into big plastic bins, and they keep the freezer one in the freezer until they bring it to you.  Unlike when you shop in the store, and you have to pick up your frozen stuff, shop that entire aisle, then walk to the cashier, stand in line, pay, take it to the car, etc, etc.  Much shorter time out of the freezer.  That was a win for us, too.

• Like 1

We recently went to a tour of our grocery store. The people who do the shopping are in their own department and they all seem to love their jobs. We were a test market before it rolled out across the company and they really seem to take pride in their job. I worked in a grocery store through high school and college and it was neat seeing the process of how they do the shopping. It is very well laid out so you don't have to worry about your raw meat touching your produce or whatever.

I had to scroll back and see if you mentioned the grocery store.  I'm going to pay attention, because Kroger recently bought out a big chain here in Wisconsin.  

I shop online at Wal Mart for grocery pick up. I started using it when walking around was painful and hauling two toddlers with me even more so. Having worked with the same people for months, I end up asking questions about the service. They say the second most popular job in the store is the online order filler. The most popular is the order pick up assistant because the hours are usually du in the daytime.

Seriously, I would love this job.  But I wouldn't want to work for Wal-Mart.  But I am going to keep half an ear open for this type of position in the future when I decide I want to work outside the home.  

I've used grocery delivery frequently since it appeared here in the UK. The supermarkets vary a lot though and there are some I don't use because I don't think they pick the best fruit and veg and they're bad at packing it so it arrives safely too. Others always provide the longest date they can and just seem to try harder.

I have ordered online and picked up in the store at both Walmart and Kroger. I love the service in Kroger and the produce was fresh but I don't think I'll ever get produce in Walmart.

Our Walmart always has crappy, shriveled up, sometimes half molded produce. 

• Like 1