Menu

Cashiers or former cashiers, please explain this to me...

Mimm

I'm here to deal with the stuff that really matters... ;)

But seriously, it does bother me. I do a once a week shopping trip most weeks so I have a very full cart. I try to stack things neatly on the conveyor belt, making good use of the space. But sometimes (like today) the cashier to checking out the person in front of me and doesn't move the belt forward. There will be a huge gap between the scanner and she's having to reach for the stuff. Then finally she realizes she needs to move it forward and she does. Then there's a huge space I need to fill, and I'm scrambling to fill it so I can move my empty cart forward (because she's scanning my stuff now) and put filled bags in the cart so the filled bags are out of the cashier's way. If she just kept the belt moving forward a bit at a time, I could fill it up a bit at a time, move the cart forward and be ready to take the filled bags! Am I missing some reason she isn't doing it like that?

Of course, this woman bagged things like a psycho. My sour cream, in a bag by itself. My half and half, in a bag by itself. My bread, smooshed in a bag with several other items so it was falling out. So clearly I'm dealing with an agent of chaos here.

• Like 9

Maybe she hasn't been cashiering very long.

Honestly, I think cashiering looks like a very tiring job and I know the pay isn't good. I have a hard time finding fault with someone in a position like that for doing their work imperfectly.

This is true, and I try to be understanding, and I never actually complain to them, but yes, I can find fault when my stuff is getting mushed up and falling out of the bags. The whole check out process requires some cooperation between customer and cashier to run smoothly and I try to do my part to make it as easy as possible for them.

• Like 8

She probably has not had much training, she probably is newer, she probably has some executive function issues so sequencing events may be hard for her, etc.

Yeah, it can be annoying but she's probably doing the best she can.  Remembering to advance the conveyor belt may take some time for her to get used to.  As for the rest, well, with the bread in particular, what you could do is mention, in a gentle way, that you prefer your bread to be bagged separately.  

If there are things I want handled a certain way I just politely ask and smile at them and thank them as they do it.  After having had eggs and pies crushed in the past, I just ask, now, for them to bag those separately and then I proactively take them and place them in the basket myself.  I load them on the conveyor belt last so I can keep an eye on them.

• Like 2

I used to be a cashier for a number of years through high school and college at a grocery store.   (This was a long time ago.)  

Typically the belt automatically goes forward and there is a sensor that stops it when things come to the front of the belt.   Obviously, the sensor is not perfect.   Sometimes I would have to turn off the belt for a number of reasons.    Sometimes people would kind of throw food on the belt in a way that was going to cause their bread (or smashable) items to become damaged when the belt moved forward.   So if I could tell that it was going to happen, I would have to turn off the belt and manually reach for things to scan until I could "save" their bread.  

Sometimes customers would actually ask me to turn my belt off because they felt rushed.   (???)   I'm not kidding that happened.   

Another thing that was pretty common was for people to put their payment on the actual belt.   This was a huge pet peeve of mine.  Instead of handing me the money or swiping their own card, they would put it on the belt.   We are talking cash, TONS of coins, debit cards, gift cards, etc.    Then somehow it would be my fault if it got sucked into the belt.     It didn't matter that I was trying to bag all of their groceries....I should have seen from the back of my head that they put money on the belt and saved it from being sucked in....    (eye roll)   (The sensor wouldn't detect flat things like money or credit cards.)   So whenever I saw someone piling coins on the belt, I would turn off the belt to try to save their money.

Another thing that would sometimes happen is that people would put greeting cards on the belt.  (those would also sometimes get dirty or sucked in too.)  So sometimes I would turn off the belt to prevent it from automatically moving forward and messing up the cards.  

THEN, like anything, if you turn the belt off, sometimes I would just forget to turn it back on "automatic" until the next customer came.   

----

I was a cashier for like 7 or 8 years....and this is my advice:    If the belt moves forward suddenly and there is a HUGE gap....PLEASE just take all of the time you need to unload your groceries they way you want.   The gap does NOT mean you have to rush.     If we are scanning things quickly, that typically isn't some passive-aggressive way to speed you up.   ;)  I promise.   Typically, we would scan quickly because we were trying to keep the customer happy so they weren't waiting on us -OR- We would just scan quickly because it was habit after working at a grocery store for so long.   

ETA:   I know the whole "have to empty my cart" feeling can make you feel rushed too.  But this is how I look at it:  the bagger or the cashier can always go and get another cart to move the groceries into if they are in such a rush to clear space....of....here is a novel idea....they could offer to help you unload.    Just take your time.   Don't let them rush you.   

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 17

I've been a cashier at two different grocery stores and the training differed greatly. My first job you spent an entire week learning how to bag groceries before you ever actually bagged on your own. It was a minimum wage job but there was low turnover. I haven't worked there in 20 years but even when I go home to visit it is still a great experience because the store managers put a lot of time into the low paid employees and work hard to help them move up the ladder.

At a different chain where I worked one summer, they hired you, told you to shoot for three items or more per bag and let you go. Turnover was very high. Very little was invested into training employees. I got made fun of for being so particular about how I bagged groceries.

I think it is fine to request groceries be bagged the way you have them on the belt. It is also ok to request they put more than one item per bag.

• Like 2

I never have this problem at the local Publix.  Publix is an employee owned company and all but one person seemed happy to work there (at least at my local Publix and the other local ones I have been too seem the same way).  The one person who did have a surly attitude and basically ruined a birthday cake for me by packing it wrong (I did complain)  disappeared before I ever returned to the store.  I would think that checkers at Kroger and Walmart would probably rather be working for Publix since after a while they not only earn their salary but share in the profits. 

Thanks AttachedMama, I think I will take your advice and take my time. I generally try to go as quickly as possible so as not to keep anyone waiting, and this is obviously the source of my confusion on this issue. :)

I would like to point out that my OP was meant to be a light hearted tongue in cheek complaint. Yes, it's a bit annoying, but I really am capable of seeing that in the big scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal.

• Like 6

One of our local grocery stores in the town where I grew up employed a few SN people, generally as baggers.  Often the bagging was not great.  There was one guy who was determined to put each item you bought in its own plastic bag.  They were my favorite grocery store, though, because while they didn't put the greatest priority on absolute bagging competence (the cashiering was better), they did always hire friendly people, regardless of competence.  I was rarely in a huge hurry or super picky about how my groceries were bagged, so the friendliness won out :)

The cashiers at the Natural Grocers, btw, are *insane* about bagging.  It is an art form and they have mastered it.  If I start inefficiently bagging my own things (because I brought 7 bags and only need 2 of them anyway), they sort of take over while tsk tsking. :)

• Like 2

Thanks AttachedMama, I think I will take your advice and take my time. I generally try to go as quickly as possible so as not to keep anyone waiting, and this is obviously the source of my confusion on this issue. :)

I would like to point out that my OP was meant to be a light hearted tongue in cheek complaint. Yes, it's a bit annoying, but I really am capable of seeing that in the big scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal.

I remember that working for the general public was HARD.    People would often become so incredibly irate over the smallest things.    I could tell you some stories!

But the job did teach me empathy.    To this DAY I go out of my way to be the nicest person I possibly can be to ANYONE in the service industry.   I know they put up with a lot of mean people.   So I think it is awesome that you are worried about the cashier's feelings.  (You didn't want to keep her/him waiting!)   But at the same time, food is expensive.   Buying a large load of groceries for a family is HARD.   So I get taking your time to unload and organize things.   

P.S.

Rach, I am just like you!   WE had so much training on how to bag groceries, and now I am super picky about how things are bagged.  

I remember we used to even have bagging olympics where we would compete with other stores.  They would, of course, choose winners based on how fast they could bag up an order.   But you were also judged on quality:   Like how "square" your bags were.   How evenly distributed things were weight wise.  And how you handled wild cards like cleaning supplies, raw meat, etc.   It was sort of fun.   

• Like 8

Some people suck at bagging groceries because they don't think about the characteristics of the items they're bagging.

I'm actually one of these people :o

My husband, on the other hand, loads the belt at Costco in reverse order of how things need to be in the cart to be properly packed in the car. He is also strategic in how he plans the grocery list I give him so he can make the most efficient path through the entire store. I wander back and forth and in and out, modifying my list as things look good. And I load the belt haphazardly, bag haphazardly, and don't care one bit of my produce or bread is squished.

It's a personality thing and an organization thing, mostly. And while it can be trained, I'd say some people are just better suited for bagging than others based on their natural inclinations in terms of process and order.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I remember that working for the general public was HARD. People would often become so incredibly irate over the smallest things. I could tell you some stories!

But the job did teach me empathy. To this DAY I go out of my way to be the nicest person I possibly can be to ANYONE in the service industry. I know they put up with a lot of mean people. So I think it is awesome that you are worried about the cashier's feelings. (You didn't want to keep her/him waiting!) But at the same time, food is expensive. Buying a large load of groceries for a family is HARD. So I get taking your time to unload and organize things.

P.S.

Rach, I am just like you! WE had so much training on how to bag groceries, and now I am super picky about how things are bagged.

I remember we used to even have bagging olympics where we would compete with other stores. They would, of course, choose winners based on how fast they could bag up an order. But you were also judged on quality: Like how "square" your bags were. How evenly distributed things were weight wise. And how you handled wild cards like cleaning supplies, raw meat, etc. It was sort of fun.

Amen to this. People treat cashiers very poorly.

The square bagging is something I still do.

I used to cashier....but it was at CVS, so no belt and rarely were purchases more than two bags. 

But, you know what drives me bonkers...

I deliberately set things on the belt at the grocery store in a particular order...or rather, a particular set of groupings.  Which means, all my frozens are together.  All my cans/jars are together.  All my pantry boxes together.  You get the idea.  Produce is almost always second to last, and all my fragile stuff, like eggs, bread, chips, etc, are the very last.  Always.  It makes things easier for EVERYONE.  Cashier shouldn't have to think about how to bag it...all the cans are together, put them all in the same bag or two.  Eggs are in front of the bread...put the eggs in first, then the bread. 

So what bugs me is when I do this, and I end up with a bag that has 5 cans, then 2 containers of berries, and then bananas on top.  Seriously, you have to reach way over the cans to get to the berries and bananas.  And oh yeah, I buy like 10 to 15 lbs of bananas each week.  Yes, we go through that many.  If all my bananas are together on the belt, why go to the extra effort to reach across and put them in separate bags?  I usually have 3 to 5 boxes each week....like maybe a box of pasta, a box of rice, a couple of boxes of cereal, and maybe a box or two of tea.  None of these will crush the other.  All go in the same place.  All weigh about the same.  All are on the belt in the same place.  I just can't understand why they insist on putting them in different bags or mixing them up. 

Now, to be clear, this is one of those "vent online that this makes me insane" things...it's not something I ACTUALLY care about.  As long as no one puts my cans on top of my eggs, I am generally ok with however it goes in.  My kids are all going to put it away wrong anyway.  And....I totally cashier profile lol.  There are a few cashiers at my regular grocery stores that I prefer, and a few that I avoid.  Yes, bagging is one reason, but mostly it's about coupons and customer service. 

I do the same thing! All the heavy stuff at the front of the conveyor belt, all the canned items together, boxes together, meat together, freezer stuff together, bread and eggs last. So the heaviest stuff ends up on the bottom of the cart. And yes, this means when I get out to the car, I have to unload the cart into the car from the bottom up, but this is my own hassle and I'm willing to deal with it. :) I really do try to be considerate of cashiers because what a thankless job and dealing with the general public is usually awful. That's why I'm mystified when things go awry and I'm pretty sure it's not my fault when they do. ;)

I make it fool proof for them. Onto the belt I load:

bag for pantry goods, then pantry goods heaviest to lightest

bag for refrigerated stuff, then the stuff in the order I want it bagged

Bag for meat, then the meat

Bag for eggs/bread/smushables, then I liar these at risk items

Last on the belt is stuff that doesn't need a bag.

I would not be stressed if there was a delay in the belt. I'm always going to finish first anyway.

I detest the one-item-per-bag people and get really annoyed when I forget my bags.

• Like 2

My most favorite checker "taught" me (and all her other customers ) how to properly load our groceries onto the belt, she had a bagging system down pat, and if you did it differently, she'd give you guff-in a totally charming way that made us all love her.

• Like 2

I always try to put my items on the belt in the order I want them bagged. The grocery store by my mom's house started having someone unload your groceries onto the belt for you. They would just go as quickly as they could with no regard to order at all. Drove me crazy every single time!

I know I am behind a novice shopper (usually a man) when I see them pile stuff randomly on the belt, with eggs, bread, chips mixed in with heavy items.  Most folks do heavy stuff first, keep cold stuff together, do more fragile produce/eggs/bread etc last so it goes on top and doesn't get smashed. 

• Like 2

I know I am behind a novice shopper (usually a man) when I see them pile stuff randomly on the belt, with eggs, bread, chips mixed in with heavy items. Most folks do heavy stuff first, keep cold stuff together, do more fragile produce/eggs/bread etc last so it goes on top and doesn't get smashed.

Eh, I've done 99% of the family grocery shopping our entire marriage; I like things on the belt at random.

I do not have an organized brain, and by the time I'm at the end of a shopping trip I'm way too tired to think through what order my massive cart load should go on the belt!

• Like 3

Never worked in a grocery store, but if the biggest problem was the bread then my advice is just put soft items on the belt last. They will be more likely to end up on the top of a stack?

Dh used to be a bagger many moons ago. He makes me feel like a really slow customer lol. I do try to put things on the belt in some order... frozen/cold together. I might organize my cart before I even go to the checkout if I'm nervous about having time to do it later.

My husband, on the other hand, loads the belt at Costco in reverse order of how things need to be in the cart to be properly packed in the car. He is also strategic in how he plans the grocery list I give him so he can make the most efficient path through the entire store. 

This is me!  I organize my grocery list as a path through the store, actually.  And I have Strong Feelings about belt loading and (especially) bagging. 

There is one cashier at my local grocery store who has a rather intimidating affect -- lots of tattoos and piercings, never smiles.  But he is the best bagger EVER and I always look for him and maneuver into his line.  

• Like 2

This is one of those things people get very passionate about that just completely puzzles me.  This issue resulted in, like, a slight delay of bagging....... why does anyone care?

Not that I don't have my own weird quirks-course I do - but honest to goodness I find this one bewildering.

I was a clerk at a chain grocery store. I had 6 hours of "watch these VCR tapes" training, and 2 hours of hands-on-training.

Video training was 30 minutes of how to bag, 30 minutes of "remember to smile!" and the other  5 hours were don't steal / don't lie / don't let your friends have free groceries etc.

On the job training was almost entirely how to run through different credit cards, debit cards, WIC, welfare.

Proper belt management was definitely not high on the training agenda. 

• Like 2

I hate how they bag at my Walmart.   One item per bag.  Drives me bonkers.

Oh, I hate the bagging at Walmart.  I can't tell you how many times I got home only to discover that I didn't get one of my bags because their rotating carousel had moved it to the cashier's side before I was done unloading.  Then I have to waste gas to go back and argue with them.  All of these lost items over the years definitely outweigh any potential savings of shopping there. 

I used to work as a cashier.  It was for a place where customers bagged their own groceries ... we had two output lanes.  We were trained to scan very fast, but we were required to be careful with fragile items (bread and eggs and delicate produce were to be held back until the entire order was finished.  We actually had our weekly average scan rate posted weekly in the break room. 

Although I never worked as a bagger, I am particular about bagging.  To me, it is like Tetris.  I want a square package, with even weight and the fewest bags necessary.  I have my favorite Trader Joe's lines based upon how they bag (I bring my own as much as I can remember.)  They don't have a belt, though.  They unload your cart as they scan your items. 

• Like 1

I never have this problem at the local Publix. Publix is an employee owned company and all but one person seemed happy to work there (at least at my local Publix and the other local ones I have been too seem the same way). The one person who did have a surly attitude and basically ruined a birthday cake for me by packing it wrong (I did complain) disappeared before I ever returned to the store. I would think that checkers at Kroger and Walmart would probably rather be working for Publix since after a while they not only earn their salary but share in the profits.

Publix is the bomb. For real.

I have a friend, from college who worked her way through law school at Publix and has stayed on, just for the stock options, even now as a state attorney. She just works part time to keep her employment status active.

Great, great company.

• Like 3

I know I am behind a novice shopper (usually a man) when I see them pile stuff randomly on the belt, with eggs, bread, chips mixed in with heavy items. Most folks do heavy stuff first, keep cold stuff together, do more fragile produce/eggs/bread etc last so it goes on top and doesn't get smashed.

I have nine kids. I'm certainly no novice to grocery shopping but I'm totally random 😂😂

The only real exception is if I need cold stuff in a cooler due to distance or delay. Otherwise I just throw it up there.

I really want the trolley bags that you fold out over the empty cart and then put your groceries in instead of a million bags. I did ask for them for Christmas but didn't get them. Still want to try them and if I did I could see being more systematic at loading the belt. I'm totally chuckling at the idea that someone would see me and think I'm a rookie to shopping 😉

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 1

Just for the record, I don't care how other people load their groceries on the belt. Or in their cart. Or what they buy.

The only thing I really care about in terms of other customers in the grocery check out line is....for the love of everyone please don't stand in FRONT of your empty cart blocking my way to unloading so that I end up with an empty belt and a full cart when the cashier starts ringing. Please push your empty cart in front of you so that the bags can be loaded as they are filled.

Other than that I don't care how someone else loads onto the belt. I don't care how they pack their cart. I don't care if they bring their own bags or just use plastic. I don't care if they use cash or a card or three separate cards or have to write a check. None of that drives me as nuts as, please just push/pull the cart forward.

Ummm . . . that doesn't work for short people if you're at a store like Walmart and have to load the bagged groceries yourself. ;) I have to stand in front of the cart in order to easily reach to place the filled bags into it. But I assure you I move up so I'm not blocking the next person from unloading.

I'm a methodical shopper. I go through the store in order and my grocery list is arranged in the order I encounter items. I'm also very strategic in how I place things on the belt. But really my preference is to shop at stores where the cashiers do the unloading. We have a couple of those around here. I'm more lazy than I am frugal. ;) Those stores also have much better customer service and are better at bagging things so bread and eggs don't squished.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I so wish my grocery store had self-check out.    I can not tell you the amount of food that has been wasted by the fact that people don't have common sense on how to bag it. 

I ask for paper and plastic bags and I lost count how many of them ripped bc they put too much weight into one bag.

I do think it's a big deal bc of the waste.  I hate wasting money (mine or grocery store's) and I certainly hate wasting food, bc I haven't figured out yet what to do with mushed raspberries or grapes  or eggs, broken and leaking in the bag.

Stand in front of your cart so if you can't unload you can move to bagging. I don't think they provide enough training to staff at the register anymore. You have to be in a position to monitor both ends of the process. And, yes! Why would I group all the cold stuff on the conveyor if I wanted one cold item hidden at the bottom of each bag of non-perishables. Sigh. 

At our WalMart, the cashiers always spin the bag ring and check for me before I leave. If they don't I ask. 

Edited by MomatHWTK

My philosophy was always, I am here for 8 hours, take the time and do the job right.  But that seems to be seriously out of fashion these days.

There are some people whose lines I refuse to get in and some stores I simply will not shop at due to piss poor customer service.

The bigger chains seem to have the worst service, there are two family owned small chains that I adore, they train very much like I was trained back in the day and customer service very much matters to them. 

• Like 1

I was a cashier the summer between college and med school. I second most of what AttachedMama said. I would also add that every customer has their own way of wanting thinks done and every customer thinks their was is the obvious way and that you are an idiot for not realizing what the "best" most "obvious" way is. For everyone that wants all their cans together there is someone else who thinks they obviously shouldn't be together because it makes a bag too heavy.

I'm actually very laid back about how my groceries are bagged and will always help bag if the cashier is alone. And when something is done that seems weird to me I figure that cashier probably had a customer recently who demanded it and acted like it was the obvious thing.

• Like 3

I was a cashier the summer between college and med school. I second most of what AttachedMama said. I would also add that every customer has their own way of wanting thinks done and every customer thinks their was is the obvious way and that you are an idiot for not realizing what the "best" most "obvious" way is. For everyone that wants all their cans together there is someone else who thinks they obviously shouldn't be together because it makes a bag too heavy.

I'm actually very laid back about how my groceries are bagged and will always help bag if the cashier is alone. And when something is done that seems weird to me I figure that cashier probably had a customer recently who demanded it and acted like it was the obvious thing.

Most of it is not a big deal to me. I am pretty laid back about it.....but raw meat should be bagged alone and not with anything else. I have some who put my lunch name at with raw meat!

Eh, I've done 99% of the family grocery shopping our entire marriage; I like things on the belt at random.

I do not have an organized brain, and by the time I'm at the end of a shopping trip I'm way too tired to think through what order my massive cart load should go on the belt!

This is me. And I prefer to bag my own stuff anyway, so it doesn't matter what order it's in on the belt, because I'm organizing on the fly as the stuff comes down the belt. Fortunately (for me), there are usually only a few baggers per shift here, if any, so I get to bag however I want.

I have nine kids. I'm certainly no novice to grocery shopping but I'm totally random 😂😂

The only real exception is if I need cold stuff in a cooler due to distance or delay. Otherwise I just throw it up there.

I really want the trolley bags that you fold out over the empty cart and then put your groceries in instead of a million bags. I did ask for them for Christmas but didn't get them. Still want to try them and if I did I could see being more systematic at loading the belt. I'm totally chuckling at the idea that someone would see me and think I'm a rookie to shopping 😉

I have never heard of this!! I want one!

Around here, the vast majority of stores are set up for self-bagging. So my own pet peeve is people who stand there and stare at the cashier while she rings up their massive amount of stuff and it all floods into the collection area at the end, all while they twiddle their thumbs--or worse, while they try to chat with her! Then she's forced to turn around and start bagging it all while they keep watching. I'm usually trying to control my urge to push past them and start bagging their stuff for them  :willy_nilly:

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

I also would never analyze someone else's belt loading strategy or lack thereof :D

When I worked as a cashier, I used to entertain my mind by trying to figure out things about people from what they bought, and how they bought it.  I still do it now when I'm in line.

• Like 2

Oh boy, I really want that. Maybe I'll put it on my birthday list. My MIL is always wanting to give me an actual gift rather than a gift card. That would be just up her alley. I wonder if the stores would have a problem with it, though? Our local Whole Foods has a sign about putting items into the cart rather than directly into bags when you shop, and I've heard other people say the same thing about their stores. Hmm...

Thanks for the link!