Menu

If your toddler flushed Thomas the Tank engine down the toilet...

Janeway

Ugh......... my husband tried that with a toy car... he ended up cracking something, resulting in a major ordeal of about $1000........ plumber said it would have been about $100 if he'd just called the plumber first.

• Like 3

Are you sure it's stuck in there? Can you feel it if you reach in there with something like an old slotted plastic spoon that you would be willing to sacrifice for the cause and never again use in your kitchen? You could also try to feel around for it with a bent wire (like a metal hanger from the dry cleaner.)

As has already been said, be careful you don't push it even farther down!

• Like 2

Is it in the toilet or the pipe? If it is just in the toilet you can turn the water off, drain the back and bowl and then take the toilet off to reach it from the bottom.

• Like 1

Sorry... I suspect that if you cannot stick your hand into the bowl and pull it out that you will probably need to remove the base of the toilet from the floor, to get it out of there. And then you can reattach the toilet to the floor...

Now I'm picturing her with her arm stuck in the toilet and explaining to the plumber that she was trying to rescue poor Thomas... ;)

• Like 11

Sorry... I suspect that if you cannot stick your hand into the bowl and pull it out that you will probably need to remove the base of the toilet from the floor, to get it out of there. And then you can reattach the toilet to the floor...

That is what we did. We removed the toilet and reinstalled it. That's not fun. I'd probably just call a plumber.

Someone at my previous work (psych facility :)) once used a heavy trash bag and stuck her hand in there to retrieve something out of a patient's toilet. If you have the intestinal fortitude to try that, maybe worth it. If you cannot feel anything and the toilet is overflowing, time to call that plumber unless you or your dh can follow Lanny's advice of detaching the toilet. Ugh.

Poor Thomas! He is not really designed for submarine activity. :laugh:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

Someone (none of the kids would ever say who it was) flushed a hairbrush down a toilet at hour house when we lived in base housing.  The repair man removed the toilet, carried it outside, pulled out the brush, and put the toilet back.  Yuck.  We did not keep the hair brush ;)  He said that kind of thing happens ALL the time...

Sorry about Thomas!

I don't understand how a snake could retrieve a wooden or plastic toy. It just seems it would push it down further. DH and I are not hip on how to do things like plumbing so we'd call a plumber. We had a leak that required a simple fix but we paid $80 for it. It was worth it not having to figure that out on our own.

Updated: I can reach it, but it is really wedged. 

Husband told me to have 12 yr old reach it as he is smaller. LOL..yeah..right..our 12 yr old would be willing to reach in the toilet, ROTFLMAO.

Am now asking 12 yr old about the new video games he wanted, ha ha ha ha

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I'd try plunging the heck out of it to see if it'll flush clear out of there.  Then I'd stick my hand in there.  If that didn't work and I was sure it was still in there, I'd take the toilet off.  If you take the toilet off you'll need a new seal and some caulk.  Ask the people at Home Depot how to do it or look for a youtube video.  It's really not hard to do.  Kinda yucky, but not at all difficult.  It's a lot less mysterious than I think people realize.

• Like 2

This all conjures up bad memories of the time my little brother--he was about 2yo at the time--managed to get a tennis ball down the toilet.  :blink:

Mom had to call a plumber when the toilet backed up. She didn't know why it had backed up until the plumber came to snake it and the ball popped up out of the sewer pipe in the road. It was soooo gross because raw sewage had spilled out onto the road with it!  :ack2: 

• Like 1

Updated: I can reach it, but it is really wedged. 

Husband told me to have 12 yr old reach it as he is smaller. LOL..yeah..right..our 12 yr old would be willing to reach in the toilet, ROTFLMAO.

Am now asking 12 yr old about the new video games he wanted, ha ha ha ha

LOL, if the price is right...

• Like 1

$45. In Steam Cash.

$25 for this removal and $20 back wages for the last removal that apparently, my husband had him do earlier this week. LOL

Get that kids some veterinary gloves (the kind that go up to your elbow or more), and he could start a business for all the local mothers of toddlers!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

$45. In Steam Cash.

$25 for this removal and $20 back wages for the last removal that apparently, my husband had him do earlier this week. LOL

:lol:

Cheaper than a plumber! :laugh:

Has Thomas been rescued and appropriately disinfected?

Also, have you instituted a strict new No Toys in the Toilet policy at your house and has your toddler been permanently banned from ever again entering the bathroom without adult supervision (and even then, only after being frisked for hidden contraband toys?) ;)

• Like 7

Be glad it is not an iPhone.  Dana Perino (former White House Press Secretary or whatever the Spokesperson is called) dropped her iPhone into a toilet last year.   

Sounds like you are making progress and hopefully the 12 year old can remove it, without damaging the toilet bowl.  

Be glad it is not an iPhone. Dana Perino (former White House Press Secretary or whatever the Spokesperson is called) dropped her iPhone into a toilet last year.

Sounds like you are making progress and hopefully the 12 year old can remove it, without damaging the toilet bowl.

Actually, the phone was last week. But my husband fished that out himself. And the iPad flew over the balcony. Both the phone and iPad cannot be used again. This child is expensive. He also broke the iPad two weeks earlier. It is, well, yeah. My husband says we cannot have any more babies.

• Like 3

We had a little people figure stuck in ours.  It was surprisingly easy to remove the toilet, push it back the way it came in and reinstall (you will need a new wax ring but those are only a few dollars).  We are not handy people but we were able to figure it out.  Good thing, since then, I've had to do it 2 more times since then.  I'd at least start with that, if it's stuck further down the pipe, I would probably call a plumber because I wouldn't want to start dismantling the pipes.

My friend's kid flushed the whole family's collection of toothbrushes down the toilet, lol

They did end up pulling the toilet up and getting them out. It would have been easier to call a plumber, but they didn't have the money. It was a job, but they managed it...and the toilet worked perfectly after that.

I would be able to check the trap and the nearby pipes.  beyond that ... I would just hope it went all the way through ... and if I got a clog, I would call a plumber.  Like others, I have a story where trying to do it myself only got me some good exercise.  :P

I've read more of the responses now and am happy the OP was able to solve this herself.  However, the phone and the iPad (which I just told DD about) caused me to rate this thread, with maximum approval. Some interesting stories here...  It is easier to laugh about these incidents, when they are history. Not when one is trying to solve the issue.  

• Like 1

We took a field trip to the water treatment plant once. You wouldn't believe that things that go down toilets and end up there. Some of them caused us to cover our children's eyes. Also, we heard that one of the employees got in trouble because he was grabbing the money he saw and using it in the employee vending machine. :laugh:

• Like 1

We took a field trip to the water treatment plant once. You wouldn't believe that things that go down toilets and end up there. Some of them caused us to cover our children's eyes. Also, we heard that one of the employees got in trouble because he was grabbing the money he saw and using it in the employee vending machine. :laugh:

We did that field trip once with cub scouts. DS is fine, but I've been scarred for life. WORST FIELD TRIP EVER!!!

Pulling a toilet is not hard, I've even done it, do a youtube search, save the money and do it yourself.  Have a new wax ring on hand.

Just be careful...my husband gave himself bilateral hernias lifting and moving our toilet. Mind you, he was kneeling on the ground when he tried to lift it and movie it rather than standing up and using his legs to lift. Sigh. Plumber would have been way cheaper than the hernia repair surgery was. 

• 5 years later...