Menu

UPDATE post 118 Help me make hospital and NICU as good as possible

happypamama

Thinking of you all the time and wishing little Nate strength.

Regarding staff appreciation - I think that short hand-written notes mean a lot, as do heart-felt spoken thanks. And I agree that individually wrapped chocolates, lollies, cookies etc are also appreciated. I also think that they'll just know how much you appreciate them. It probably radiates off you.

In our time in PICU (about 15 months in one stretch), we really bonded with certain staff and became friends outside of the hospital. One nurse even ended up dating our housemate for a long period of time. We were even involved in staff functions, like their Christmas party one year. It seems odd now, looking back at it, but at the time it felt natural. We were part of that team and we trusted them with our precious and very fragile daughter day in, day out for a long, long time. 

We always had our favourite nurses. There were the super-competent ones, the super-friendly ones, the ones who 'got' us on a personal level, and the ones who were the whole package. When you walk in and spot one of them with your child that day, you feel immediately happier and your step feels a bit lighter.

Sending hugs and love and best wishes to you all xx

• Like 1

Such good news! I'm so glad he is stable for the time being and you got some rest. My husband was relieved when I told him too, and we are still praying for Nate's improvement.

He had a good and stable day today. Early blood gases weren't so good, but the last one (noon, I think) was good. They've got his oxygen down quite a bit and tweaked the vent settings, but they're still pretty maxed out. They say the steroids are helping, but of course, he can't be on those forever. So, who knows? Just keep praying.

We took DS2, age 8, to meet him, and DS2 thought that was amazing. Hopefully we can get the two smallboys and my parents up there sometime over the weekend.

• Like 30

He had a good and stable day today. Early blood gases weren't so good, but the last one (noon, I think) was good. They've got his oxygen down quite a bit and tweaked the vent settings, but they're still pretty maxed out. They say the steroids are helping, but of course, he can't be on those forever. So, who knows? Just keep praying.

We took DS2, age 8, to meet him, and DS2 thought that was amazing. Hopefully we can get the two smallboys and my parents up there sometime over the weekend.

We've got the praying covered. You keep the rest and taking care of yourself covered. Thinking of y'all often. (((Hugs mamma)))

Last couple of nights and days weren't great. This morning, they called to say that his blood gases and lungs are getting worse, and he's on full support and still doing poorly. They asked us to come in to discuss the next step with them. Once again, baby needs a miracle, a really big one this time. My poor little boy. I love him so much.