Menu

"It wouldn't be Thanksgiving if we didn't have [oddball recipe]!"

Cecropia

What's a favorite dish your family has to have every year, but isn't traditional Thanksgiving fare?

Ours is a 1993 Taste of Home recipe, Hidden Pear Salad.  I clipped it out of the magazine as a teenager...

Ingredients

• 1 can (16 ounces) pears, liquid drained and reserved
  • 1 package (3 ounces) lime gelatin
  • 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla

Directions

• 1. In a saucepan, bring pear liquid to a boil. Stir in gelatin until dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool at room temperature until syrupy. Meanwhile, puree pears in a blender with cream cheese and lemon juice.
  • 2. Whip heavy cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form; fold into pear mixture. Fold in cooled gelatin.
  • 3. Pour into a greased 4-1/2-cup mold. Chill at least 4 hours. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Edited by Cecropia
  • Like 1

My mother's marinated artichoke hearts.

We used to have a full Italian-American meal followed by a full traditional American Thanksgiving meal when we lived in NJ and were surrounded by family. That included an antipasto, which included marinated artichoke hearts.

It started when we moved to Florida and instantly became a much smaller family.  We still wanted a bit of our old tradition but were unable to find the marinated artichoke hearts we used to buy in stores in New Jersey. Mom decided she'd just make her own based on the memory of what they taste like. We've been having them as appetizers at both Thanksgiving and Christmas since 1970. Years later, Publix finally began carrying that brand we left behind in NJ. We were so excited and bought some, then were very disappointed. Either the recipe had changed or we became so used to my mom's copycat version, that we no longer liked the jarred ones.

When I met dh, he and his son fell instantly in love with them, and my mom always had to make extra because my brother and niece were already fans of the dish. Fortunately I watched her make them often enough that I've been able to carry on the tradition. Now dh's very not-Italian, not-ethnic-at-all family loves them and wouldn't consider it Thanksgiving or Christmas without them.

I can't give a recipe because the amounts are just one of those things you have to eye. I would say at least two med. cloves of garlic for each can of artichoke hearts and maybe 1/2 tsp. oregano per can. Those are just guesses though. I measure nothing for this dish.

Canned artichoke hearts packed in water (unseasoned)

fresh garlic, minced

dried oregano

olive oil

Drain the artichoke hearts. In a bowl mix the artichoke hearts, minced garlic, and dried oregano. Add olive oil and stir to coat. Place in a glass jar or glass container. Cover and let marinate for at least 12 hours (24 is better). Serve as appetizer.

• Like 2

Chestnut stuffing. Peeling the chestnuts takes more time than everything else put together. I tried the pre-peeled chestnuts last year but they tasted like lumps of plastic so ds8 is going to start taking over in light of arthritis and failing eyesight.

• Like 1

Orange jello. We do thanksgiving at the in-laws' house and she makes orange jello with some sort of orange pudding topping. It's delicious, but not at all a thanksgiving-esque food. The holiday would seem odd without it after 18 years in their family.

Apple and cheese salad. It's apples, cheddar cheese, raisins and mayonnaise. Also, my extended family is all pretty sure that you make the gravy to put over your turkey, not your mashed potatoes, because those are going to be topped with the chicken soup that contains homemade egg noodles that have been brightened with yellow food coloring.

• Like 1

Not an oddball recipe, but it wouldn't be Thanksgiving if I didn't make a pie for every member of our family. Usually, it's just the seven of us, so I'm used to making seven pies. My in-laws are able to join us this year, so I'm making nine! I don't know what I'd do if we ever had more company than that, but it's a tradition, and something I love doing for my family. :)

• Like 1

Bread Stuffing, for sure--with white bread. Unfortunately, MIL likes to use homemade wheat bread. .  ..sigh

My kids have to have pumpkin pie; MIL's squash pie is not a substitute.  So, I am bringing one and a cheesecake for me.

I LOVE doing T'giving, but for various reasons we go to my MIL's house.  It is the right thing to do (and I love MIL), but it just isn't "right" iykwim

So, I've started to bring lots of things and know that my Mom makes stuffing "right" for Christmas. LOL

That was my reaction.  

I could just eat stuffing for Thanksgiving dinner and be perfectly content.

Mine too.

I am hosting this year, even at 8 months pregnant. I will say it's just my parents. I may have put out the idea of having only stuffing (well, and cranberry sauce as the 4 yo requested it and it's easy).

My mom was all for it. Others...not so much.

• Like 1

I can't give a recipe because the amounts are just one of those things you have to eye. I would say at least two med. cloves of garlic for each can of artichoke hearts and maybe 1/2 tsp. oregano per can. Those are just guesses though. I measure nothing for this dish.

Canned artichoke hearts packed in water (unseasoned)

fresh garlic, minced

dried oregano

olive oil

Drain the artichoke hearts. In a bowl mix the artichoke hearts, minced garlic, and dried oregano. Add olive oil and stir to coat. Place in a glass jar or glass container. Cover and let marinate for at least 12 hours (24 is better). Serve as appetizer.

This sounds good (I think--I've never actually had artichoke). But what do you serve with it? Do you put it on crackers, or ?? 

Apparently stuffing because a revolt was almost launched when I asked if I should skip it.

This is funny, because I asked my family if they wanted stuffing and they all said "Yuck! No."  I'm the only one who will miss it, I guess.

It's ok... the last thing I need on Thanksgiving is more carbs.

• Like 3

Growing up my mom made the most disgusting cornbread stuffing.  She would make so much that we were eating it for days afterwards.  She would also make a fruit salad with cool whip and shredded coconut.  I couldn't stand the texture.  

For the first time in seven years she'll be joining us for Thanksgiving.  As my sister and I were going over the menu for Thanksgiving those were the two things I was adamant our mother didn't make.  She does make awesome pistachio pudding an pasta salad!  It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without those two.

Growing up my mom made the most disgusting cornbread stuffing.  She would make so much that we were eating it for days afterwards.  She would also make a fruit salad with cool whip and shredded coconut.  I couldn't stand the texture.  

For the first time in seven years she'll be joining us for Thanksgiving.  As my sister and I were going over the menu for Thanksgiving those were the two things I was adamant our mother didn't make.  She does make awesome pistachio pudding an pasta salad!  It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without those two.

eww...doesn't sound good

I once ate a sausage stuffing someone else made that I didn't like at all.  I always liked my mom's bread stuffing.

Apparently stuffing because a revolt was almost launched when I asked if I should skip it.

We're skipping the dressing this year. I don't think it will be missed.

Don't get me wrong... I like dressing and all. But it's just us this year and we're already having a heck of a lot of food.

• Like 2

Grandma's noodles. We even discussed this on the boards in years past, because now Grandma (my MIL) can't manage the noodles. My DD has stepped up to make the noodles for the past two years (Thanksgiving and Christmas). It's just homemade noodles in gravy.

What's a favorite dish your family has to have every year, but isn't traditional Thanksgiving fare?

Ours is a 1993 Taste of Home recipe, Hidden Pear Salad.  I clipped it out of the magazine as a teenager...

Ingredients

• 1 can (16 ounces) pears, liquid drained and reserved
  • 1 package (3 ounces) lime gelatin
  • 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla

Directions

• 1. In a saucepan, bring pear liquid to a boil. Stir in gelatin until dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool at room temperature until syrupy. Meanwhile, puree pears in a blender with cream cheese and lemon juice.
  • 2. Whip heavy cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form; fold into pear mixture. Fold in cooled gelatin.
  • 3. Pour into a greased 4-1/2-cup mold. Chill at least 4 hours. Yield: 6-8 servings.

This is a favorite of ours, too.  It is on the Thanksgiving menu every year!

• Like 3

Three layer jello is a requirement of any holiday meal.  Thanksgiving is yellow, orange, red.  Christmas will be green yellow red.  Easter actually instead of the layered salad I have to make those awful jello eggs.

I have to know: what are jello eggs? 

Pink Salad--Jello, mayo, cream cheese, crushed pineapple, Cool Whip, walnuts.

It is just as awesome as it sounds. :)

We also *must* have cranberry-sauce-from-a-can, even if someone makes a more sophisticated cranberry dish. 

Spiced apple rings were a childhood tradition (or was that at Christmas?), but they are full of Red 40, of course.  :(

• Like 1

I have to know: what are jello eggs? 

Jello made with a lot less liquid so they are super thick.  Used to use two-part molds that were supposed to plop out actual egg shaped jello.  Now I cheat and pour the thick stuff in a pan, let it set, then use a egg-shaped cookie cutter to make flatter "eggs".    The stuff, when set, is like rubber. Bleah!

I think you can still find the "recipe" on the larger boxes of Jello during the Easter holiday season.

Chinese green beans. I don't know what else to call them. Fresh green beans saute in oil, garlic, and soy sauce. Then add a bit of cornstarch/soy to thicken the sauce. It's the only green thing at the table on thanksgiving.

My recipe for this calls for bacon. Caramelized green beans is what my family calls them, and yes, we're having them for TG, lol.

• Like 1

Apple and cheese salad. It's apples, cheddar cheese, raisins and mayonnaise. Also, my extended family is all pretty sure that you make the gravy to put over your turkey, not your mashed potatoes, because those are going to be topped with the chicken soup that contains homemade egg noodles that have been brightened with yellow food coloring.

Ah, the noodles-over-mashed potatoes dish. My grandparents served this every time we visited, until my little brother blurted out "Grandma, my mom hates noodles and potatoes!" My mom was mortified. 

I don't get the stuffing love. It's soggy bread. Yuck. 

I almost forgot--for years, the go-to alternate dessert in my family was a mess of crust, green jello pistachio pudding, and cool whip. My dad called it "that green shit." As in, "hon, are you making that green shit for dessert this year?" He ate it happily tho. 

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 2

We do an Arabic chopped salad....where before in my household growing up, the only green allowed on the table was the green bean casserole and maybe some pimento-stuffed green olives. :)

Funny thing is it's not my family who goes ga-ga for the salad, it's all my relatives.  For us, it's our every day salad, but for them, it's something special.

We do an Arabic chopped salad....where before in my household growing up, the only green allowed on the table was the green bean casserole and maybe some pimento-stuffed green olives. :)

Funny thing is it's not my family who goes ga-ga for the salad, it's all my relatives. For us, it's our every day salad, but for them, it's something special.

What is in your salad? :)

What is in your salad? :)

It's super basic.  The key (IMHO) is salting the onions first.  So chop up onions (your choice..can be white, Vidalia, red, scallions, shallots), and place in a small bowl.  Pour a little white wine or red wine vinegar on top, add in salt and pepper.  Leave it to sit for at least 5 minutes, preferably 10.  Then you squeeze the onions to get out their juice, and add it to a bowl.

Add in roughly equal amounts of chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and romaine lettuce.  I prefer the Persian cucumbers.  Tomatoes I go for whatever looks the best.  In theory, you want everything the same size.  Add in a handful of chopped parsley.  

Then you make a dressing with 1-2 smashed and chopped garlic cloves, olive oil, and either lemon juice or white/red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper.  You can add a little oregano to the dressing or other herbs.  I prefer lemon juice, red wine, and white wine vinegar in that order.  Balsamic doesn't work very well.

You can turn this into a Greek salad by adding Kalamata olives and Feta cheese, and more red wine vinegar.

• Like 5

Jello made with a lot less liquid so they are super thick.  Used to use two-part molds that were supposed to plop out actual egg shaped jello.  Now I cheat and pour the thick stuff in a pan, let it set, then use a egg-shaped cookie cutter to make flatter "eggs".    The stuff, when set, is like rubber. Bleah!

I think you can still find the "recipe" on the larger boxes of Jello during the Easter holiday season

I don't think you're liking jello for any holiday.

These are some interesting "only at our house" recipes.

Nothing in particular here. I know if I say I'm not fixing one thing or another I get a lot of disappointed responses. One guest who didn't come every year thought it funny that we would have raw veggies, dip, crackers, cheese, pickles and olives in abundance while waiting for the main meal.

My laptop added some odd commands, just editing to erase.

Edited by Gaillardia

Funny thing is it's not my family who goes ga-ga for the salad, it's all my relatives. For us, it's our every day salad, but for them, it's something special.

How do you make your salad? I'm bringing a chopped salad to BILs tomorrow. I prefer them to leaf-based salads and it's nice to have something crunchy and green to balance all the starch. I'm planning to add blanched green beans to make it thanksgivingy and dressing very lightly with a olive/vinegar dressing. I still have fresh herbs in my garden. I'm going to add chickpeas, bell pepper, cucumber, parsley, red onion, grape tomatoes, and I'm skipping the cheese since this may be the only light thing on the table.

I'm actually looking forward to chopping all of those veggies for this silly salad and I'm open to ideas.

• Like 1

My family's "must have" dish is my mom's dressing. It is just a basic dressing recipe, but she makes it out into patties and bakes it in the oven. I always just assumed that everyone ate their dressing in patties and I was horrified the first time I saw Stove Top Stuffing! Not sure that anyone else does this...I've only seen it from my mom and her sister.

• Like 1

I make a 7 layer salad that is basically my price of admission to thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. It's all right and all, but it's not what I would think of as THE one thing most people would look forward to. 😄 it's really only 6 layers because years ago I forgot what the 7th layer was and apparently no one ever missed it. Lol!!!

It's lettuce, mayo, green peas, shredded cheddar, purple onion, and real bacon!!! People fight over it!! Lol. But, one year when we were away from home, I carried it to a non-family thanksgiving gathering. I just assumed I would be the hero, but not one person touched it!!!!