Menu

"It wouldn't be Thanksgiving if we didn't have [oddball recipe]!"

Cecropia

I make a 7 layer salad that is basically my price of admission to thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. It's all right and all, but it's not what I would think of as THE one thing most people would look forward to. 😄 it's really only 6 layers because years ago I forgot what the 7th layer was and apparently no one ever missed it. Lol!!!

It's lettuce, mayo, green peas, shredded cheddar, purple onion, and real bacon!!! People fight over it!! Lol. But, one year when we were away from home, I carried it to a non-family thanksgiving gathering. I just assumed I would be the hero, but not one person touched it!!!!

My family's "must have" dish is my mom's dressing. It is just a basic dressing recipe, but she makes it out into patties and bakes it in the oven. I always just assumed that everyone ate their dressing in patties and I was horrified the first time I saw Stove Top Stuffing! Not sure that anyone else does this...I've only seen it from my mom and her sister.

I don't know what basic means but I do my mom's dressing also, form it into balls and bake. It is a must have for us. Rivers would stop flowing if we didn't have the dressing balls. I had even started making a vegetarian version as well, using apple juice for the moisture instead of the giblet cooking liquid, and lots of chopped mushrooms in place of the giblets, livers, etc.

So now when I make it, even though it's not vegetarian, I use lots of mushrooms. I also use chopped celery, onion, and lots of sage and thyme. 

I make a 7 layer salad that is basically my price of admission to thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. It's all right and all, but it's not what I would think of as THE one thing most people would look forward to. 😄 it's really only 6 layers because years ago I forgot what the 7th layer was and apparently no one ever missed it. Lol!!!

It's lettuce, mayo, green peas, shredded cheddar, purple onion, and real bacon!!! People fight over it!! Lol. But, one year when we were away from home, I carried it to a non-family thanksgiving gathering. I just assumed I would be the hero, but not one person touched it!!!!

The seventh ingredient we use is cauliflower. In fact, cauliflower is the main ingredient when we make it, so our family calls it cauliflower salad. We mix parmesan into the mayo.

I love it, but DH can't stand mayo, so I don't make it any more.

• Like 1

These cranberry rolls are my signature holiday contribution. Everyone loves them. Yummy!

https://www.rhodesbread.com/recipes/view/cranberry-cream-cheese-pull-aparts

But they take much longer than than the 15 min prep time indicated in the recipe. When I'm just taking one or two dishes to someone else's house, I have time to make them, but I skipped them this year, since I was hosting the dinner. Too many other things to prepare.

Edited by Storygirl

Corn Pie. It's basically a corn casserole, but baked into a graham cracker crust. Yum. I tried to skip it one year and about got myself disinvited to Christmas. 

(1 can corn-drained, 1 can creamed corn, 1 stick of softened butter, 1 8oz container sour cream, 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, 2 graham cracker crusts..store bought, always. Mix everything, dump it into the pie crusts, and bake at 350 about 50 minutes)