Menu

How can I give my chicken noodle soup a twist?

helena

I add sage and/or basil (thanks for the reminder, I'm actually making some now, the noddles are being slow) in addition to salt and generous pepper.   same types of spices used in stuffing.

I've got some thai basil in my herb garden - and it smells good. . .

• Like 1

I think your best bet for a significant, positive change is to keep your beloved recipe and switch out the noodles for tortellini or make dumplings instead. If you're not from a biscuit making culture, just get a box of jiffy biscuit mix and use that. Follow the directions (maybe reduce the liquid-google it) and add some fresh parsley. Then drop in your dumplings without crowding them and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Don't peek too early!

This recipe works well for a super fast version:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chicken-and-dumplings-recipe.html

OR

You could add some cream and gnochi to your soup!

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

Our chicken soup was revolutionized when we discovered mulligatawny, and now we much prefer it to our regular chicken soup. The chicken, broth, onion, celery and carrot are all the same -- and we sometimes add rice or noodles -- but for mulligatawny you'll add curry powder, apple and cream (or coconut milk - yum!). 

• Like 2

Orzo instead of egg noodles.

I love orzo in chicken noodle soup. I've used rice instead of noodles, and cracked up lasagna noodles instead of spaghetti. I really like the lasagna noodles, they kind of remind me of dumplings without being too doughy.

As far as tricks to jazz it up, hmmm. I like lots of thyme, add a splash of wine or balsamic vinegar, and let it cook down a while before adding the noodles. Sometimes I add mushrooms.

ETA now I am hungry for this, too! I have some sage in the garden I'd like to try, and I'll have to pick up some leeks. I like leeks but I forget about them.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

Tomato soup, cilantro and rice instead of noodles.

I bought a bagged chicken noodle soup. I had a bit of a misunderstanding with dh when he said he only liked the soup with rice. I added rice to it. Apparently he meant he liked chicken and rice soup... oops. haha. OP, you could try swapping the noodles for rice or depending on the ratio of food/broth, have both. The rice kinda soaked up a lot of the broth overnight so that was maybe not the best idea on my part, but with less rice or some tweaking, it might work.

• Like 2

For a subtle change....add some of Penzeys spice called Sate.  A very small amount is all you need.  Like for large pot of soup, one-quarter to half teaspoon will do. 

ingredient list:  salt, brown sugar, garlic, white onion, coriander, shallots, ginger, turmeric, paprika, Ancho pepper, galangal, cayenne and lemon grass.

For a total mix up, I add Trader Joes brown rice medley (dry rice) instead of noodles.  It has radish seeds in it, and makes a great soup.  I add the blend dry to the broth so it soaks up the broth to add flavor.  

You can also add milk to make it a cream based soup. 

Or add seasoning to make it a chicken and stuffing soup (use potatoes instead of noodles) and seasonings like thyme/sage like you use in your stuffing.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

I think you need to share your recipe first :)

Well... It's vegan. :)

I haven't had true chicken noodle soup in 28 years, so who knows if it even remotely tastes like the real thing?!?  :tongue_smilie: If it doesn't, I don't want to know. Haha!

I use a vegan powdered chicken broth and a wheat gluten chicken. 

• Like 4

I add sage and/or basil (thanks for the reminder, I'm actually making some now, the noddles are being slow) in addition to salt and generous pepper.   same types of spices used in stuffing.

I've got some thai basil in my herb garden - and it smells good. . .

I have Thai Basil too! I should try that. My lemon grass might work as well.

Well... It's vegan. :)

I haven't had true chicken noodle soup in 28 years, so who knows if it even remotely tastes like the real thing?!?  :tongue_smilie: If it doesn't, I don't want to know. Haha!

I use a vegan powdered chicken broth and a wheat gluten chicken. 

Now I'm really interested. I'd love a vegan version. :) I haven't had much success with making my own seitan. 

• Like 1

I make huge pots of chicken soup.. As sides that folks can add or not as they wish, I may have noodles one night, wild rice (or plain rice) another night, matzo balls, alphabets, penne, little Chinese dumplings from the freezer section, barley, etc.  Plus I tend to chop up a turnip or two same size as taters,precious, to sneak more veggies in,

• Like 2

I was going to say make it cruelty free & then I saw (& remembered) that you cook vegan :)

I ditto dumplings. You can easily make vegan dumplings. 

This works well: http://www.vegansandra.com/2015/01/easy-vegetable-and-dumpling-soup.html  You do have to let the dough sit a bit - she says to rise but I think it's just the gluten starting to work. 

• Like 1