Menu

Workout clothes as regular clothes

Moxie

I wear tight yoga pants, usually with a fitted (tight) tank.

And tight jeans.

I don't think I have camel toe. Maybe I do. Oh well, I don't care.

I wear workout clothes all the time.

I have a job, an internship, I'm a full time graduate student, and am constantly trying to get my 10K steps. My entire life is a power walk.

Two days a week I have to dress professionally, but the rest of the time I wear compression capris and an athletic top that does not even try to cover my ginormous butt, or anything else.

And I like it.

Me too. Usually, if I'm in "yoga" pants then it is because I did or am going to do yoga, so no I don't wear some loose flowing top over them because it gets in the way. I have on an equally tight tank top. I may occasionally have a cover up top if it is cold but usually not. I don't think I'm a supermodel but I'm comfortable in my own skin. I find skin tight workout clothes actually more comfortable than jeans because they move with my body.

• Like 2

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so tired of being judged by my clothes.  I have a "friend" on Facebook who frequently goes on rants about yoga pants in Target.  Well, walk a mile, is all I can say.  I guess I could start going naked, maybe that would please people's sensibilities.  I'm guessing they would rather see my 3X self in loose yoga pants and a long loose shirt, though...

I'd love to wear fitted clothing, with buttons and zippers.  Hell, I'd love to not wear a bra...ever...because it hurts so damn bad.  But I wear my t-shirt material sports bras and sport a uniboob, along with my yoga pants and my t-shirts and I function the best I can.

You're welcome that I'm not running around naked.

And no, I'm not EVER headed for any sort of exercise in my tacky exercise clothing, just moving around on a daily basis is about all the exercise I can handle.

• Like 12

Pants are pants are pants. A couple pieces of cloth sewn together that cover you. The rest is hype from the fashion industry. Unless you're going to a job interview or have put yourself in a situation where you have to adhere to a dress code, there is no point in caring what anyone thinks of your pants. Wear what YOU like, and if someone can (gasp) see the shape of your legs it just doesn't matter.

I have dance classes four nights a week. I see no point in generating extra laundry, so. May just wear jazz, yoga, or tribal pants all day. I especially like my collection of bellydance pants because many have little skirts attached to the waist. Here's a generic tribal pant: http://www.shimmysista.com/cottontribal.htm

I live near that store and they have a lot of styles that aren't on the website. They cater to larger sizes, but the pants were soooo cute that the sm-med girls complained and the proprietress stocked for us too. It's where I got my Naked Pants (because you can't feel them) and my Good Butt Pants, and my Army Pirate pants.

I have a comfy pants problem. I own jeans, and I'm comfortable in them, but I only wear them a couple times a week.

• Like 8

I'm not sure what would be more appropriate for crawling on the floor with a toddler, washing dishes, walking the dogs, playing at the playground, and scrubbing toilets. I alternate between active wear and casual sundresses. Sometimes I even throw on a clean pair of fleece pj pants.

I think of active wear as the appropriate clothing for basic mom life activities. I'm talking about sweats or yoga pants, t shirts, tank top, or hoodie, running shoes. Sloppy? Yes, possibly. But appropriate for the dirty work of running a home.

I've joked before that Garanimals needs a line of clothes for the at-home mom. Cheap, wash well, mix-and-match, cute designs ;). What I wear most days is athletic/loose yoga pants and an "activewear" t-shirt. The colors are all complementary jewel tones and gray/black so I can grab and go. A typical day includes the park, preschooler messes, hands-on projects with a first-grader, grocery-shopping, and soccer coaching. Activewear fits my active lifestyle :).

• Like 3

Apparently, I have nothing to add to this discussion but quotes. Though I'm still a bit confused by why this is a discussion.

LOL. I went to yoga yesterday in my scrubs-that-kind-of-look-like-yoga-pants. And I went to my Bible study and the grocery store afterwards with a cute sweater over my tank top and wore that the rest of the day. I even had on makeup and jewelry.

My pants cover me and folks behind me in class didn't see anything other than my middled-aged outline.

It's all good.

I remember a meme going around last year that basically said,

"Don't give me a hard time about wearing yoga pants as pants or I'll kick your butt. And I'll have complete range of motion to do it, because I'm wearing yoga pants as pants."

Apparently, I have nothing to add to this discussion but quotes. Though I'm still a bit confused by why this is a discussion.

I just love that meme, cracks me up every time. Considering the lack of activity and obesity rate of the majority of American's seeing people in workout clothes seems like the least of our worries. 

I think live and let live, women's dress has been judged far too long. We are too this or not enough that. Too old, fat, skinny, curvy, modest, immodest etc. etc

Edited by soror
  • Like 10

I just wore workout clothes to the airport for the 10 minutes we could see my husband as he passes through town. I'm headed to the gym for the kids' PE class in a few minutes. Sure I could have dressed more nicely, but then I probably wouldn't feel like working out once I get to the gym. Plus, I finally reached an age where I don't really care if others judge me about how I'm dressed. I wish I could have had the same confidence as a teenager!

• Like 2

Hmm, I have 5 kids, run a house, etc., all in jeans and a cute top. I'll throw on an apron if I'm doing something messy. And, I promise, I'm not uncomfortable.

Hoodies are my apron of choice unless it's hot or I am scrubbing.

*It covers/protects my shirt and the top of my skirt or pants.

*It has pockets like an apron for all the miscellany I put in my pockets to carry to another room when I am done in the first.

*unlike an apron it keeps me warm.

And when I am outside, it's a pretty perfect garment for a climate where it frequently rains but rarely rains hard and where no self respecting local carries an umbrella.

I will be the 75 year old woman in a hoodie. Mark my word.

Cute is an inherently subjective matter.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 17

Hoodies are my apron of choice unless it's hot or I am scrubbing.

*It covers/protects my shirt and the top of my skirt or pants.

*It has pockets like an apron for all the miscellany I put in my pockets to carry to another room when I am done in the first.

*unlike an apron it keeps me warm.

And when I am outside, it's a pretty perfect garment for a climate where it frequently rains but rarely rains hard and where no self respecting local carries an umbrella.

I will be the 75 year old woman in a hoodie. Mark my word.

Cute is an inherently subjective matter.

:iagree:

• Like 1

The "cool" moms at baseball (and football until it gets cold) seem to all wear tennis skirts and tennis tank tops. Even when not coming from/going to tennis. I do think that's a bit weird, especially when they then complain about the bleachers being hot.

Yoga pants are comfy. Long live yoga pants.

• Like 3

I'll wear yoga pants but not sweats when I'm out running errands but generally not out to eat (unless I stop into Chick-fil-a or Starbucks). To me, yoga pants are pretty put together with a nice shirt or sweatshirt but sweatpants are sloppier than I like to be seen in (and make me look fatter). But what other people wear, I really don't care unless I'm forced to look at butt cracks and the like.........

Also I personally have noticed athleisure as regular clothes is much MUCH more of a thing with upper middle class white women. Kinda like jogging strollers.

Around here, people of all colors wear athleisure clothes. Couldn't tell you their financial class but they sell yoga pants and Walmart and they sell them at Macy's.......... just different qualities but you can buy them at most larger clothing and department stores. If jogging strollers had existed when my kids were born, I would have had one, so jealous when I see those things (not a serious jealousy, just a few seconds of "I wish I'd have had one of those" kind of things"). But then I fit in the demographic you mention (but didn't when I was having my kids).

Around here, people of all colors wear athleisure clothes. Couldn't tell you their financial class but they sell yoga pants and Walmart and they sell them at Macy's.......... just different qualities but you can buy them at most larger clothing and department stores. If jogging strollers had existed when my kids were born, I would have had one, so jealous when I see those things (not a serious jealousy, just a few seconds of "I wish I'd have had one of those" kind of things"). But then I fit in the demographic you mention (but didn't when I was having my kids).

One thing about those jogging strollers -- they are good for more than just kids.  I saw an older (than me) person walking home the other day with his groceries in one.

• Like 1

I dont fit her demographic and wear workout clothes on a daily basis, pants purchased at Old Navy for $10 a pair. I also have a jogging stroller which is heavenly. I actually get to workout with my kids in tow, while the older ones bike. I bought the jogging stroller used on a consignment sight for $20. Before that I didn't own a stroller because maneuvering them is too cumbersome(jogging stroller are smoother.) I just carried my kid around in a carrier or made them walk once they were about age 2.

• Like 3

I run to the store if needed wearing my workout clothes. Ain't nobody got time for changing them first.

I do need to stop driving my kids to school/work in my pajamas, though, plus whatever shoes I can slip into the quickest. It isn't pretty and I just know that someday I am going to have to exit my car and be really.sorry.

https://www.instagram.com/p/zSmDyJygiIjsd5rh9DBTzsC7dNanjwXgdqsws0/?taken-by=amycw131

• Like 3

It's definitely not my thing (workout clothes for day wear), but I don't usually care what people wear. I think it's part of a certain fashion trend to have stylish active wear as a wardrobe. It's certainly within reason. So, in a nutshell... meh.

• Like 2

My opinion on this definitely shifted after I got pregnant with my younger son. Finding comfortable maternity clothes was really hard. I wore a lot of dresses/tunics over yoga pants. Also, post c-section for me, jeans were uncomfortable for a long time.

I also see plenty of people who are of modest means and/or not white running around in athletic wear. Sure, some people have pricey name brands but there's no shortage of cheap yoga pants to be had. WalMart, Target, Old Navy and others all offer stuff in that vein for pretty cheap. I was just scrounging up pajama pants for my older son at Old Navy and they had soft workout clothes for under $10.

• Like 2

I find jeans uncomfortable.  I am round around the middle and I hate any sort of band of pressure anywhere when I sit.  currently I like yoga-top maxi skirts, with or without yoga-top leggings.  If I were skinnier I'd definitely wear yoga style pants everywhere as they are so comfortable (but maybe then I wouldn't mind the fit of jeans?  I dunno).

Dresses are fine when I'm not in a nursing stage.  When nursing it's hard to find dresses that work right.

• Like 3

Am I the only one who doesn't generally notice what people are wearing unless it's particularly cute? I mean, it has to qualify for People of Walmart before I'm ready to get judgey. Being bothered on any level by yoga pants in the drop off line? Or the grocery store? Or most places for that matter... That's pretty shallow.

Also, am I the only one not checking people's crotches for cameltoe? That seems super weird to me. I honestly couldn't tell you if people's yoga pants are too tight.

• Like 16

Well, I never claimed to be deep. And, as I said, it isn't the drop off line. It is walking around in the building, visiting with parents and teachers.

I was going to ignore this thread but it keeps coming up so, wth, jumping in again.

If yoga pants are such awesome public attire, why do the dress codes at my child's elementary school, our town's public school system and DD's homeschool co-op specifically BAN yoga pants?? Do they all hate children and want them to be uncomfortable all day??

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 1

Well, I never claimed to be deep. And, as I said, it isn't the drop off line. It is walking around in the building, visiting with parents and teachers.

I was going to ignore this thread but it keeps coming up so, wth, jumping in again.

If yoga pants are such awesome public attire, why do the dress codes at my child's elementary school, our town's public school system and DD's homeschool co-op specifically BAN yoga pants?? Do they all hate children and want them to be uncomfortable all day??

I have never heard of a school or co-op banning yoga pants. I don't agree with it and think it is dumb. 

• Like 11

On scrubs....not everyone that wears them is in healthcare.  The daycare my niece worked at required everyone to wear scrubs, for whatever reason.  They have some really cute prints out there.  Anyway, my niece wasn't any more germ infested than the average mom while wearing her scrubs..lol.  

• Like 1

On scrubs....not everyone that wears them is in healthcare. The daycare my niece worked at required everyone to wear scrubs, for whatever reason. They have some really cute prints out there. Anyway, my niece wasn't any more germ infested than the average mom while wearing her scrubs..lol.

Agreed, I had to wear them when I worked in the billing office with almost no patient contact of an orthopedic practice (not sick people). And I know many pharmacy techs that wear them. I don't think anything of people wearing them in public.

• Like 1

Banning probably has more to do with those who wear them with the wrong things on top. I wear a long shirt so that no one sees my butt. Not everyone does.

I agree with this. Schools don't generally allow leggings without something covering the bottom, and I don't see yoga pants as much different. I don't think mine specifically prohibits them, but they don't allow leggings without covering the bottom. I wear a large t shirt or sweatshirt that covers my bottom when I (rarely) wear them out of the house.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness. Schools ban hats, tank tops, shirts with slogans, distracting hair, long hair on boys, skirts that don't come to the fingertips. Things any grown-up can wear without anyone batting an eye. Some schools have uniforms. They ban all the clothes. Maybe I'll start carrying a clear backpack and stop eating peanut butter at home because schools ban it.

• Like 27

That's the weakest argument I've ever heard. The school in my parent's town bans all t-shirts of with any kind of graphic or pattern on them. Solid colors only.

Almost all the private schools in my town don't allow girls to wear pants.

A co-op near me has a whole long list of banned clothes.

Just because various organizations ban various articles of clothing does not mean they aren't ok. And even if the schools and co-ops in your area do ban yoga pants for their students (or parents while co-op is in session), how does that automatically follow that they shouldn't be worn elsewhere?

And to answer your last question, I'm sure the comfort of the students is NOT the primary concern when creating a dress code.

• Like 13

I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt your feelings, but that's just silly. Schools have all kinds of reasons for allowing/not allowing students to wear certain items of clothing to school. That has absolutely no bearing on what the kids wear outside school or what their parents wear at any time. Whether other people wear workout clothes outside the gym... eschew makeup... like a messy bun... or whatever is a strictly personal choice. If you're happy with your choices and feel good about your appearance, wonderful. It works for you. That doesn't mean it's practical, comfortable, affordable, flattering, healthy, or cute to anyone else.

• Like 3

This banning of clothes is especially close to my heart since while I worked for Mr. Gothard I would get up in the dark morning and run in a dress.  In Chicago.  In the winter.  Because anything else would be indecent.  Specifically, workout wear.

:grouphug:

A perfect example of why the "X group of people don't like it, so it must be wrong" argument (and variations of it) simply doesn't work.

• Like 6

Dress codes are made for many different reasons. Is dyed hair, sleeveless shirts, logos and patterns on a shirt, or no pants for girls really a standard you think adults should adhere to as well? Or even that children should adhere to outside of school.

You seem to be grasping at straws for a reason to justify your judgement on one's appearance.

• Like 4

This banning of clothes is especially close to my heart since while I worked for Mr. Gothard I would get up in the dark morning and run in a dress. In Chicago. In the winter. Because anything else would be indecent. Specifically, workout wear.

In a related thought, I think bans of yoga pants have more to do with hating females than hating children. We can't have our boys distracted by yoga pants!
  • Like 19

I play tennis 3X a week, mostly in the afternoons. I can usually be seen wearing a tennis skirt, tennis shoes, etc when picking up DGD from school. When I'm not playing tennis, I hike and kayak. Yep, I've been known to run to the store in my outdoor clothes.

I do wear work clothes at work but some days I really really want to wear my much more comfortable (and comforting) sportswear. Like my Cuddle Dud style long sleeves with the thumb holes paired with a cozy athletic jacket and yoga capris. If only....

Edited by Scoutermom

Whether other people wear workout clothes outside the gym... eschew makeup... like a messy bun... or whatever is a strictly personal choice. If you're happy with your choices and feel good about your appearance, wonderful. It works for you. That doesn't mean it's practical, comfortable, affordable, flattering, healthy, or cute to anyone else.

But that could easily be turned around on anyone wearing anything, including skin tight active wear, or yoga pants, or pajamas.  And I think that's all the OP was saying: "this isn't practical, comfortable, etc. to me," as in, "in my opinion, which I realize is judgy."  I can recheck the OP, but that was the gist I got when I read it.  Like most things, my question is, "why does anyone care that someone cares?"  I think the topic wasn't really intended to include all active wear ever, but maybe so.  I haven't scrutinized every reply in the thread.  It seemed to me it was specifically very tight bottoms with short tight tops that were the complaint.  I know what she's referring to, and have seen it, and couldn't wear it, probably even in my own living room.  And I agree with the person upthread that here, at least, it's definitely a white upper middle class female thing.  But that's been the case for forever; lots of tennis outfits witnessed in my private middle and high school experience.

I've become a the right clothes for the right occasion person in my "old" age (I'm not actually old).  I used to wear what everyone else wasn't with a middle finger to back it up, then just jeans and t-shirts everywhere and don't invite to weddings or funerals, now I think different clothes fit different situations, and I do take the time to change, especially since for me it is literally removing a garment and tossing another one on, because I don't fix my hair or wear make up or jewelry.  I feel embarrassed if my neighbors seem me in yoga pants, though yes they are comfy, I usually only wear them when everything else is dirty or to exercise or sleep in (not all at once ;)).  I don't want to meet the neighbors and chat with them in those or my pajamas.  But will I surreptitiously run to my van for something or feed the chickens in them?  Yes, occasionally, and pray I my dogs don't need dragging away from the fence.  I'd love to live in the woods.  If I had no neighbors and no children, would I wear less more often?  Maybe.  But just because I would in that situation, doesn't mean I'd do it in any situation.  This is how I think and what makes me comfortable.  When I see people who have a different set of parameters for that, I think, "huh, I can't put on that mindset."  And leave it at that.  I think this is reasonable and healthy.  I don't expect others to think what I do is awesome, or to copy it.  I expect the same leeway.  

More later, maybe.  Have to go explain why family members yell at each other over Target to my 10 year old, then go to a play date thing.

• Like 1

Like most things, my question is, "why does anyone care that someone cares?" 

I care because I spent my youth in a cult that judged the goodness of women based on their clothing choice.  I care because I spent too much time after that making choices based on what other people might think of me.  I care because I want women to be able to run out and do amazing things and live their lives and feel comfortable without feeling the judgey gaze of other women because of something so fundamentally inconsequential as their PANTS.  I care about defending women from judgement.  That's just me.

• Like 29

Also, am I the only one not checking people's crotches for cameltoe? That seems super weird to me. I honestly couldn't tell you if people's yoga pants are too tight.

I think I was pretty clear that the only crotch IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve ever checked for camel toe was my own, and that the other sightings had been unhappy accidents.  But, hey, if you think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m super weird for having seen that, just wait, because you havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t even heard the half of it!  :lol:  LetĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s see, where to begin . . .  Well, for starters, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen a lot more naked butt crack in my life than I have camel toe.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m always on the lookout for some good butt crack!  Once at the beach I saw a wave come and take the bandeau bikini top off of a horrified young woman.  Lock down those tah-tah's, ladies, because IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m just waiting for an opportunity!  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen men openly and unabashedly scratch their junk in public more times than I can count - usually through their pants, but one dude just reached right in and had at it!  ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a real joy to behold, let me assure you.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen full frontal male nudity in public, not once, but twice!  And I guess that brings me to my personal favorite:  walking through a public park and coming across a young couple going at it.  Good times.  Yeah, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a real menace to society, with my inability to practice selective blindness.  I should probably be locked up.  Or at least blindfolded.

If you've never had the misfortune of seeing something you didn't intend to see, then good for you.  I'm in awe. 

• Like 1

In a related thought, I think bans of yoga pants have more to do with hating females than hating children. We can't have our boys distracted by yoga pants!

This is exactly why a large co-op in my neck of the woods banned yoga pants and they were very open about it. The mothers at this co-op would tattle to the leadership whenever they saw a girl dressed in a way they didn't like. And the girls at this co-op were not inappropriately dressed (though as I mentioned, I'm not very good at noticing this type of thing). But the leadership would investigate the claims and found many times that the girl in question (it's always a girl) was dressed in a way that didn't violate the dress code, so clearly there were people reporting on girls for absolutely no good reason. My daughter was sitting with her friend over lunch and they noticed a few of the leaders looking at the friend and talking for several minutes. The girl thought she might have been reported and it made her feel very self conscious. They didn't approach the girl about anything so that may not have been the reason but there's something seriously wrong when girls feel that paranoid.

We don't attend anymore and it still kind of infuriates me that grown women are persecuting young girls like that.

I think I was pretty clear that the only crotch IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve ever checked for camel toe was my own, and that the other sightings had been unhappy accidents.  But, hey, if you think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m super weird for having seen that, just wait, because you havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t even heard the half of it!  :lol:  LetĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s see, where to begin . . .  Well, for starters, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen a lot more naked butt crack in my life than I have camel toe.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m always on the lookout for some good butt crack!  Once at the beach I saw a wave come and take the bandeau bikini top off of a horrified young woman.  Lock down those tah-tah's, ladies, because IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m just waiting for an opportunity!  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen men openly and unabashedly scratch their junk in public more times than I can count - usually through their pants, but one dude just reached right in and had at it!  ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a real joy to behold, let me assure you.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen full frontal male nudity in public, not once, but twice!  And I guess that brings me to my personal favorite:  walking through a public park and coming across a young couple going at it.  Good times.  Yeah, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a real menace to society, with my inability to practice selective blindness.  I should probably be locked up.  Or at least blindfolded.

If you've never had the misfortune of seeing something you didn't intend to see, then good for you.  I'm in awe. 

Apparently I don't get out much! :)

The camel toe thing was not meant to be directed only at you, but it's a complaint I hear every time yoga pants get brought up. I'm starting to halfway think it's an urban legend. ;)

• Like 1

Apparently I don't get out much! :)

Or maybe I just need to stay in more! :D

On a more serious note, I want to clarify something since I said upthread that I wish certain young ladies wouldn't dress so revealingly in public. It's not that I'm passing judgment on them, it's more that it makes me sad that they feel the need to dress in such a blatantly sexual way (I'm talking about hipkinis here, not yoga pants!) for something as ordinary as a burger joint at lunchtime. I realize it's their choice, not mine. It's just very hard for me to believe that choice was made free of the influence of this culture we live in, which so over-sexualizes women and girls. I wonder how we would all choose to dress if we hadn't gotten the message in thousands of little ways, every day, our whole lives, that our worth is determined by our attractiveness. Believe me, I am right there with those of you who are saying that women and girls should be free to be themselves and live their lives and not be constantly judged. But my post did not represent my viewpoint well at all, and even sounded like I was saying the opposite, and for that I sincerely apologize.

• Like 6

Warning--judgey post ahead!

My kids go to school and we have to walk them into the building so I see lots of people everyday. There are really two kinds of women-SAHM's in workout clothes and women dressed for work (suits and scrubs, mostly).

It bugs me.

I get that they are comfy. I wear workout clothes when I work out. But, dang, so casual! And so painted on!! Most workout pants don't leave a lot of mystery. Are we going to get to a point where we wear our jammies in public because they are comfy?? Idk why this uber-casualness bugs me but it really does. Is it really so hard to throw on some pants?

What are "regular clothes"? Do you mean SAHM's should wear suits? What exactly should be worn?

• Like 2

One thing about those jogging strollers -- they are good for more than just kids.  I saw an older (than me) person walking home the other day with his groceries in one.

I was at the ren fest last weekend. The ones with jogging strollers were getting through the terrain well. They were generally filled with children. 

Leggings and yoga pants are pretty much the uniform of every female student under the age of 25 at my college. I swear they just handed out black leggings when you move into the dorm or something. Some wear long shirts, some don't. 

I am currently wearing yoga pants. I came home from work and it was pure bliss to take off the clothes that I wear when I have to look like a professor and throw on soft pants and a fleece sweater. Wearing yoga pants, I have shopped(at a store, in public!), graded 40 homework sets, cooked lunch, baked two desserts, will now clean house, and at 7:30pm change into very nice clothes again because I am hosting my entire department for a reception at my house tonight. I will look elegant and sophisticated. I don't need to look elegant and sophisticated for housework.

I am very happy that I have enough clothes to be able to change into something comfortable when I find it appropriate. Oh, and I will take out the compost now. I hope my neighbors don't give a fig - but I just saw my neighbor enter her home wearing running pants. So I figure, I'm OK.

Seriously, this discussion is bizarre.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 11

I had to walk ds6 to his classroom the other day because we arrived at school late. I'd forgotten to grab my flip flops (I prefer to drive barefoot) so had to walk down the hallway in my bare feet. I admit to feeling awkward about that but if anyone was judging that was their business not mine.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Because you live in a community where it's socially acceptable to micromanage other people's wardrobes?

• Like 11

I also think this discussion is bizarre, but probably from the other direction; I don't see what is needed defended here, but defended it sure is.  The OP wasn't about yoga pants; the phrase doesn't even show up.  The concern was specifically about "painted on" workout clothes when dropping kids off at school.  So this put me in mind of skin-tight bicycle pants or shorts, and tight cropped tank tops, which I've seen enough of that in my own grocery stores to know it's "a thing."  But the general reaction here is very much a vibe of, "I feel judged, so I will judge back even more harshly."  And she is reacted to as if she's this horrible person who judges all people in all workout clothes everywhere as lacking a fundamental marble.  I really didn't get that from her post, and I have looked at her post as if it were directed at people who wear what I wear.  It is not a vicious tone.  Off the cuff, maybe, but not vicious.  She was honest about being judgey, but I honestly expected worse that what followed.

For those who have gone through traumatic or even just unpleasant experiences regarding clothing, I am truly sorry.  Yet this OP was not attacking people wearing pants, or attacking anyone at all.  It did not aim any negativity or devaluation at the moms she witnesses at school.  She's trying to process her experience and open about her personal reaction; it bugs her and she wondered if the new cultural milieu is heading toward a binary one: business dress OR lounge wear.  My only critique to the OP is, no, it's not hard to throw on some pants.  These moms you see are not lazy; they intentionally put on what they are wearing, for whatever reason.  One can interpret that as one wills.

If one person may not express their opinion, then no one may.  If one person may not have an opinion, then no one may.  That is the rule of fair.  It is the same concept as my daughter needing to realize that if her brothers can only enter her room with her permission, she does not then have free access to theirs--the boundary works both ways.  So if there are those who think long skirts are dumb/prudish/brainwashed, that man-shirts or jean jumpers are unflattering, or that modest swimsuits are crazy and want to voice those opinions, they also need to recognize that the reciprocal right/freedom is extended to those who believe that skin-tight clothing reveals too many curves or that cleavage is nicest when it's covered.  It works both ways, and must.   

P.S. Got a freak flat on the way to that play date; I am glad I wore casuals instead of grungies, even though our friends have a bit of homestead and would have been totally fine with grungies.  I ended up meeting a kind stranger who stopped to help us out, and also went to a restaurant with my in-laws.  I'm also glad I wore slacks instead of a skirt because I might have ended up changing my tire.  So not how I planned that day.  :D

Anyway, I'm done pontificating.  Words are wind, yeah?

• Like 7