Menu

The saddest thing we lost in the fire

Barb_

...my books. Fortunately most of my photos (not the framed ones of my mom and grandma and great grandma as children...sigh) were removed after the first fire and before the attic rekindled, but in going through the contents I found boxes and boxes and boxes of lovingly organized by subject and author books covered with sticky soot. I've been collecting them since 1994. I had more children's' books than our local library. And they were hand picked for quality and content. Many are out of print, bought on the used market, and unobtainable now. I feel a little ill.

• Like 3

Thank you... For the most part I've been able to stay philosophical and remember that most things can be replaced. Other things I was happy to let go. But my book collection has given me immense pleasure over the years. I love to walk over to my shelves at just the right time and pull exactly what I need. I love to match a child with a book just when it seems like the right time. I don't think I'll go to the trouble of buying them all again and it seems like I'm letting go of a piece of our family culture.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 4

:grouphug: :grouphug: I'm so sorry! I didn't know you'd had a fire, but now I understand why you mentioned in another thread that 2016 can bite you.

Lol yeah. We also had some serious mental health issues with one of our girls over the summer. It's just been a bad, bad year.

• Like 2

:0(

Will you post some of the names of your favorite books? I have some that might have been your favorites that aren't mine. Let us come alongside to ease your loss. And it is a loss.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I lost some books -- not nearly as many as you did -- when our basement flooded several years ago.  I lost all of the Saxon math books up through high school (except the ones we were currently using.)  And I lost all of my high school yearbooks.

Thank you... For the most part I've been able to stay philosophical and remember that most things can be replaced. Other things I was happy to let go. But my book collection has given me immense pleasure over the years. I love to walk over to my shelves at just the right time and pull exactly what I need. I love to match a child with a book just when it seems like the right time. I don't think I'll go to the trouble of buying them all again and it seems like I'm letting go of a piece of our family culture.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your books  :grouphug: I understand.

My books weren't lost due to a fire, but because of a "temporary" move to another country that turned out to be mostly permanent.  So in actuality I still "own" them, but my children don't have any access to them.

ok, barb, I missed this.  when did you have a fire?   I'm sorry to hear that.  we've had one too but it was on our honeymoon.  we were married 3 days when the fire occurred in the poconos.  we lost everything but the clothes on our backs and our car. 

it will get better!

I am so sorry, Barb. I did not know about the fire, either, but I thought I recalled some difficulties you were having with family members. (((Hugs)))) for all the hard stuff.

I would be sad about the books, too. I remember almost dying of joy when I found a copy of the Fairy Tale book I had had as a kid. I had described it to my mom for a decade, but she didn't remember it and couldn't find a replacement. But I found it theough Amazon used booksellers in a serendipitous moment.

So hold out hope. And yeah, post some titles; maybe the Hive detectives can turn up some replacements.

Your post makes me think of Rosie and her little boy. Does anyone know how she is doing? I think maybe I saw her the other day, but I am unsure of her posting name.

I am very sorry about the fire.  (((hugs)))

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1