Menu

How much is this house near you?

mommyoffive

I live in a HCOL area and I love it here. I NEVER want lots of land to maintain. In fact, right now with my husband between cataract surgeries I am thinking my yard is a bit big. It is about 50 feet by 120 feet or something like that. I could be off. For me, it is much like a "tiny house". Less to clean, less to maintain, I can walk (soon) and get my groceries, I can take the bus if the car breaks down. My neighbors know me and watch my house when I am out of town. Yet my children can see a Ferrari or another exotic car almost any day of the week. 

I don't see how people maintain a house that big without help. 

• Like 1

In the entire county, if I set the search to all your requirements but filter out the houses over 4000sf, I get two results. One is $650k, old but not in a classic style and looks to be a house with a cottage to get to the 5 bedroom mark. One is 1.2 million and lake view but in a farther out burb on a hellishly trafficky commute route. Most of the 5 bedroom houses on 1-5 acres are more than 4000 SF, especially the new ones. Filtering homes over 5000 SF, I get 18 homes, only three of which are less than 1 million. Those three are all $550-700k in crappy school districts, with one essentially bordering the airport and one other fairly close to the airport. The ones over 1 million range from 1.1 million to 18 million. There are many 1 million+ homes that meet the other specs for 1-3 million that do not have 1 acre, with quite a few having tiny lots.

Edited by LucyStoner

I think when people live in HCOL areas, most are probably not expecting to afford much land or that large of a house. My friends (almost all of who are college educated professionals, usually with 2 incomes and earning into the 6 figures) almost all live in much smaller houses on much smaller lots or they rent small houses or apartments. There's a trade off with advantages and disadvantages to both HCOL and LCOL areas. I see a lot of pros to moving to a LCOL area but I'm not willing to uproot my 13 year old who is looking at early college and has worked so hard to find his tribe from this general community, so I think we are stuck in this county or perhaps the southern or northern most tips of 2 adjacent counties. So for us the cost of continuity is less than ideal real estate.

I agree totally.  In hindsight we were lucky as we really didn't totally know what we were doing when we opted to move here.  We moved when the kids were young (5, 3, 18 months), so they've grown up here and found their tribe.  Middle son just brought friends from college to visit last month.  I was concerned that they wouldn't care for our old, non-updated place, but they literally fell in love.  Sure, we sat around talking about fixes that could be done - esp adding a second bathroom, but we were warned we couldn't even think of selling until they had a chance to earn enough to buy it.  The setting is very, very nice and they came during firefly season when one can walk out in the evening and see (literally) thousands of them in the trees and fields.  It looks like Christmas.

It's why we bought it 19 years ago.  We were asked if we wanted to go through the house a second time and I responded, "Why?  We love the setting.  We'll live with the house."

It's worked.

We have our house, large workshop, barn, pastures, a huge lawn (that can double as a pasture for parts of it), a large garden - could be larger if we wanted it to be, our own private campsite in the woods bordering a picturesque creek, and we live on a road that barely sees traffic - just our neighbors and those who hear when the pony foals are born.  Our neighbors are awesome - fully taking care of our place when we travel and we do the same for them.  No money exchanged.  We all help each other if we have needs too - and get together for socializing, etc.

Yet I'm 8 minutes from where I work (at school), less than that to grocery shopping, bank, post office, & fast food if we want it.  It's 20 minutes to larger shopping and restaurant areas and 1-2 hours from "big city" attractions.  When we lived in St Pete, FL, it took me as long (or longer) to get to places due to traffic.

Then our mortgage is low enough that I don't have to work freeing up guilt-free family time.  The fact that I do work part time gives us extra traveling $$.

I'm definitely thankful.

I can also see why others move into our area.  I've always heard it was housing costs and setting, but seeing this thread really gives that meaning.  Some have long commutes though if they don't work locally.  I wouldn't care for that personally.

• Like 3

Those three are all $550-700k in crappy school districts, with one essentially bordering the airport and one other fairly close to the airport.

For your private jet, duh, which you can afford by getting one of these cheap houses, instead of the 1M+ ones.

:lol:

cheapest:

Hi! I found this home on Trulia: http://www.trulia.com/property/3143165825-40W998-Creekwood-Dr-Elgin-IL-60124 Please check it out and let me know your thoughts!

most costly:

Hi! I found this home on Trulia: http://www.trulia.com/property/3039217089-14N555-Tyrrell-Rd-Elgin-IL-60124 Please check it out and let me know your thoughts!

neither of which I can afford!

So between $350,000 and $550,000. Several in-between too. Note the higher one has several acres of land.

Edited by JFSinIL

I think when people live in HCOL areas, most are probably not expecting to afford much land or that large of a house. My friends (almost all of who are college educated professionals, usually with 2 incomes and earning into the 6 figures) almost all live in much smaller houses on much smaller lots or they rent small houses or apartments. There's a trade off with advantages and disadvantages to both HCOL and LCOL areas.

Most college-educated professionals with 2 incomes have 0-2 kids, so many wouldn't even particularly want a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 3000sq ft house. I sure as hell don't want 3.5 bathrooms or 3000 sq ft, unless I'm so rich I wouldn't even think twice about paying someone to clean all that. I'd like 3-5 bedrooms* with 1.5-2 baths, 1500-2000 sq ft or so.

*I really don't care if they're formally called 'bedrooms' or w/e - I want 2-3 bedrooms and space for a study/playroom/schoolroom/whatever - we're really at least one room short in our 2 bedroom 900 sq ft rental, but any rental with 3 bedrooms seems to cost thrice what this rental costs. (I don't want to buy because we may not stay in this area for long)

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Anywhere from 200k to over a million. It depends on the location and how nice the house is. We live in rural farm country, so getting an acre of land isn't hard or terribly expensive. That house on one of the more desirable lakes in the area would jack up the price hugely, though.

What makes me crazy is around here the prices are some of the highest in this thread (one under 600K, the rest 875K to 3 million) and yet cost of living calculators say we are average or below average! They must be averaging in the tiny (often condemned) 2 room shacks that are falling apart that you can find in some areas (literally you drive by and see them with "keep out" tape showing they've been condemmed) to get to an average price. 

5 bedrooms

3.5 baths

3000 square feet

On at least 1 acre or land (1-5)

Nice inside, either new or updated.  No gutting involved. 

Depending on the part of San Diego County, anywhere from $800,000ish to 20 million. 

• Like 1

For your private jet, duh, which you can afford by getting one of these cheap houses, instead of the 1M+ ones.

:lol:

Tee hee.

In that area though they are probably add ons or custom designed for multigenerational living. It would not be uncommon for 3 generations of extended family to live together in those zip codes.

• Like 2

Most college-educated professionals with 2 incomes have 0-2 kids, so many wouldn't even particularly want a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 3000sq ft house. I sure as hell don't want 3.5 bathrooms or 3000 sq ft, unless I'm so rich I wouldn't even think twice about paying someone to clean all that. I'd like 3-5 bedrooms* with 1.5-2 baths, 1500-2000 sq ft or so.

*I really don't care if they're formally called 'bedrooms' or w/e - I want 2-3 bedrooms and space for a study/playroom/schoolroom/whatever - we're really at least one room short in our 2 bedroom 900 sq ft rental, but any rental with 3 bedrooms seems to cost thrice what this rental costs. (I don't want to buy because we may not stay in this area for long)

There are a lot of empty nesters and small affluent families living in the many 3000-4500 SF homes with little land here. It seems to be a room for each bed and each hobby plus the "entertainment room" which appears to be a mini movie theater.

I could use up 2500 or so SF if we could afford it but that is not super likely here. A MIL for my aging dad would be better for all of us than a bedroom for him. ;) Also, I am a fan of the formal dining room rather than those open concept great rooms. Please give me walls.

Wow. I looked up the Grand Rapids, MI area using those parameters and they range from 250 on up, but I thought there were some really, really nice ones around 350.

ETA: some of them were not super close to GR, but probably within 30-40 minutes away.

Edited by TABmom

Generally starting around one million and going up to around three million . You may be able to find a few that meet your criteria and are a little less than that but they likely have some issue or are intentionally on the market below market value.

Edited by LMV

It sounds like the restoration has been meticulous, but the house is not an unusual age for the area. My house is on the first map of the county, from the mid 19th century, as are scads of other houses in our village.

ETA: here's a more modern one, recently renovated, same kind of price, one acre:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54662179.html

This one looks much more modern on the outside (they both are nicely updated inside). What a lovely area! Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

I finding myself thankful that we live where we do reading this thread... We only have a 4/1 house (and aside from windows and a new roof, it's not updated), but we have 23 acres of land. Our pond is one acre in size.

I like my space. It sounds like there's no way we could afford it where many of you live.

Yeah, but what the OP is looking for is really uncommon in many places. Here, a house like that is likely a drafty, ancient farmhouse--probably not at all what she has in mind. My town and area has few newer build suburban type homes, and those that are won't meet her land requirement. So to get it all--the (gigantic) size AND the land--is going to cost a lot because there are so few properties like that.

My area is quite reasonable for New England and for the type of community it is. But in town houses tend to be smaller, and if she wanted a rambling farmhouse she won't get her 3 bathroom requirement. Same for classic Captains houses with land, or historic downtown properties without. It's just an unusual combination of requirements in some areas of the country.

I agree totally. In hindsight we were lucky as we really didn't totally know what we were doing when we opted to move here. We moved when the kids were young (5, 3, 18 months), so they've grown up here and found their tribe. Middle son just brought friends from college to visit last month. I was concerned that they wouldn't care for our old, non-updated place, but they literally fell in love. Sure, we sat around talking about fixes that could be done - esp adding a second bathroom, but we were warned we couldn't even think of selling until they had a chance to earn enough to buy it. The setting is very, very nice and they came during firefly season when one can walk out in the evening and see (literally) thousands of them in the trees and fields. It looks like Christmas.

It's why we bought it 19 years ago. We were asked if we wanted to go through the house a second time and I responded, "Why? We love the setting. We'll live with the house."

It's worked.

We have our house, large workshop, barn, pastures, a huge lawn (that can double as a pasture for parts of it), a large garden - could be larger if we wanted it to be, our own private campsite in the woods bordering a picturesque creek, and we live on a road that barely sees traffic - just our neighbors and those who hear when the pony foals are born. Our neighbors are awesome - fully taking care of our place when we travel and we do the same for them. No money exchanged. We all help each other if we have needs too - and get together for socializing, etc.

Yet I'm 8 minutes from where I work (at school), less than that to grocery shopping, bank, post office, & fast food if we want it. It's 20 minutes to larger shopping and restaurant areas and 1-2 hours from "big city" attractions. When we lived in St Pete, FL, it took me as long (or longer) to get to places due to traffic.

Then our mortgage is low enough that I don't have to work freeing up guilt-free family time. The fact that I do work part time gives us extra traveling $$.

I'm definitely thankful.

I can also see why others move into our area. I've always heard it was housing costs and setting, but seeing this thread really gives that meaning. Some have long commutes though if they don't work locally. I wouldn't care for that personally.

That sounds wonderful. The only thing that saves me from envy is that I cannot handle snow. Truly, can't do it. All the rest sounds picture perfect!

• Like 2

Me neither. I can't wait to downsize. Our current 1600 sq ft feels absurdly huge for our family of 3.

2 doors down, zestimated at $255k, sold for $120k exactly 2 years ago.  I'm told it needed some cosmetic work from the previous owners' pets, but that was it. The house was barely a year old at the time.

Farther around the corner, there's one listed at $257, with an in ground pool.  It was put on the market 3 months ago for $270.

There's another one listed for $115 that doesn't hint at being a gut, but there are no interior pictures.

There's another one listed for $115 that doesn't hint at being a gut, but there are no interior pictures.

As easy as it is these days to take pictures and upload them, any house without interior pictures leaves me wanting to run far, far away without looking. Just saying.

• Like 1

As easy as it is these days to take pictures and upload them, any house without interior pictures leaves me wanting to run far, far away without looking. Just saying.

That tends to be my instinct, too, but I've been stalking real estate in our region for a decade now, and seeing what crappy pictures realtors use for *pristine* houses (as well as the dumps) makes me believe we just have stupid real estate agents.  So it could go either way!

• Like 1

I agree totally. In hindsight we were lucky as we really didn't totally know what we were doing when we opted to move here. We moved when the kids were young (5, 3, 18 months), so they've grown up here and found their tribe. Middle son just brought friends from college to visit last month. I was concerned that they wouldn't care for our old, non-updated place, but they literally fell in love. Sure, we sat around talking about fixes that could be done - esp adding a second bathroom, but we were warned we couldn't even think of selling until they had a chance to earn enough to buy it. The setting is very, very nice and they came during firefly season when one can walk out in the evening and see (literally) thousands of them in the trees and fields. It looks like Christmas.

It's why we bought it 19 years ago. We were asked if we wanted to go through the house a second time and I responded, "Why? We love the setting. We'll live with the house."

It's worked.

We have our house, large workshop, barn, pastures, a huge lawn (that can double as a pasture for parts of it), a large garden - could be larger if we wanted it to be, our own private campsite in the woods bordering a picturesque creek, and we live on a road that barely sees traffic - just our neighbors and those who hear when the pony foals are born. Our neighbors are awesome - fully taking care of our place when we travel and we do the same for them. No money exchanged. We all help each other if we have needs too - and get together for socializing, etc.

Yet I'm 8 minutes from where I work (at school), less than that to grocery shopping, bank, post office, & fast food if we want it. It's 20 minutes to larger shopping and restaurant areas and 1-2 hours from "big city" attractions. When we lived in St Pete, FL, it took me as long (or longer) to get to places due to traffic.

Then our mortgage is low enough that I don't have to work freeing up guilt-free family time. The fact that I do work part time gives us extra traveling $$.

I'm definitely thankful.

I can also see why others move into our area. I've always heard it was housing costs and setting, but seeing this thread really gives that meaning. Some have long commutes though if they don't work locally. I wouldn't care for that personally.

That sounds absolutely wonderful! The house can change, but the location is truly the thing that makes or breaks it over the years.

That sounds wonderful. The only thing that saves me from envy is that I cannot handle snow. Truly, can't do it. All the rest sounds picture perfect!

It helps snow-wise that I grew up farther north and consider us to hardly have a winter here.  I like the change of seasons.

It also helps that we tend to spend the month of February (+/-) in places like FL, HI, the Bahamas, etc... which we can do probably due to our lower housing costs (and not updating our house, etc).  

Snow through Jan is just fine - a change of seasons - looks pretty, esp when fresh.  In March, even if there's snow, spring is also here making it nice.  

We just had to do something about Feb (when we can - couldn't do it every year for that long, but we always tried to do something).  Many people in our area (or further north) try to get away for a southern vacation in Feb if they can.  When we've been places it's sometime made me wonder if anyone was left in Canada since we met so many on our travels.

• Like 1

What makes me crazy is around here the prices are some of the highest in this thread (one under 600K, the rest 875K to 3 million) and yet cost of living calculators say we are average or below average! They must be averaging in the tiny (often condemned) 2 room shacks that are falling apart that you can find in some areas (literally you drive by and see them with "keep out" tape showing they've been condemmed) to get to an average price.

Other things can drive those prices down as well, like the cost of food, fuel, and utilities. We live in a moderately expensive housing area, but everything else is pricy too, so even though some areas have worse real estate prices our salaries don't go far after the other aspects of COL factor in :)

I was lottery shopping the other day and found this 6 bedroom house that 11k square feet! :eek: :svengo: There would have to be a full-time live-in maid or something. I can't imagine. It's gorgeous. And the pictures make me wonder if she homeschooled.

Wall maps of the world in two different rooms? That's a giveaway right there. :) And the desks facing one of the maps.

• Like 1

5 bedrooms

3.5 baths

3000 square feet

On at least 1 acre or land (1-5)

Nice inside, either new or updated.  No gutting involved. 

2-2.5 Million.  I live on 1 acre, 2.5 baths, 3 beds 2100 square feet and it is worth (for estate purposes) 728,00 due to some diy projects that need attention.

$200-300K depending on how nice the finishes are. You could pay more, but that would get you what you asked for: move in ready, up to date, 5 bedrooms 3 baths probably on 3 acres because that is the minimum lot size where I live (for septic). 

I was going to guess $300K, but I am surprised to see that Creekland reports those stats as being somewhat lower. . . But without looking at her link, I'm going to guess that the lower end needs work or means a 45-60 minute commute to a bigger town and isn't really daily commutable to Baltimore or DC, whereas the higher end gets you closer to historic Gettysburg with a nicer house. Just guessing though.

I know!  When I was searching it said average home price was $250,000 or something.  There was just an article in our local paper about the shortage of housing under $300,000.  When a house comes up under that, it goes within days and there is usually a bidding war.  Some friends were looking for months for a house under $200,000, and literally they never even got to look at one.  By the time the listing was up, and they called, the houses were already pending.  That went on for over 6 months and they gave up.

Closest match for sale, without meeting your acreage requirement. There are much older ones that are slightly smaller and cheaper.

"$1,975,000

2679 Iversen Ct Santa Clara, CA 95051

5 beds 3 baths

3,002 sq ft

8,050 sq ft lot

Style: Traditional

Multi-family home

Year built: 1976"

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2679-Iversen-Ct_Santa-Clara_CA_95051_M28919-01753?ex=CA597255660

• Like 1

We live in a county that has pretty bad schools, but our county seat has city schools that are very good and people will pay for them.

3000K sq feet, 1 acre, county.....$450,000

3000K sq feet, not ever gonna find an acre, city, $750-900