Menu

Gwenyth Paltrow is a liar liar pants on fire..."It's All Easy!"...not.

momee

Her new cookbook is called It's All Easy.  I was so looking forward to receiving this based on the title alone.  I fell for it hook, line and sinker.

She lies.

(Cookbooks that advertise something they are not make me angry!)

Edited by momee
  • Like 2

WHAT?! does that mean.  Never mind.  I do not want to know.

She's funny tho cuz...I'm really looking at the pictures in the book - she ain't cooking.  She's posing.  ( (for photos and pretending, you know, the 80s slang word - poser.  That's her.)

Idk.  What is wrong with making a common sense, dependable, non-freaky ingredient, healthy, sensible cookbook people?

Thug kitchen is also in the stack.  I'm afraid to open it. (Yowsa on the language!)

Edited by momee
  • Like 3

I sometimes think she lives in an alternate universe. Remember when she decided to try living on a food stamp budget and was buying the wackiest stuff? The things she bought would use up her entire month's budget in about three meals :)

Edited by Peach
  • Like 4

WHAT?! does that mean. Never mind. I do not want to know.

She's funny tho cuz...I'm really looking at the pictures in the book - and she ain't cooking. She's posing (for photos and pretending, you know, the 80s slang word - poser. That's her.)

Idk. What is wrong with making a common sense, dependable, non-freaky ingredient, healthy, sensible cookbook people?

Thug kitchen is also in the stack. I'm afraid to open it. (Yowsa on the language!)

I saw Thug Kitchen before. Yeah. I don't really need that so much.

I think it is fashionable to cuss in books now.

OTOH, I did see a book in the craft section called something like "Subversive Cross-Stitch." I didn't buy it, but it was quite funny. I would not half mind cross-stitching "Nobody Cares" on a wall hanging. It totally goes with my sense of humor.

• Like 11

Her new cookbook is called It's All Easy.  I was so looking forward to receiving this based on the title alone.  I fell for it hook, line and sinker.

She lies.

(Cookbooks that advertise something they are not make me angry!)

Celebrity cookbooks are, in general, full of nothing but disappointment. 

• Like 12

I never buy cookbooks anymore without getting them from the library first and trying a few recipes.  Or, if not available in the library, looking online; sometimes there is a recipe or two from a cookbook review or other site.  If I can't find recipes to test that way, I don't bother.     But as others have said, a celebrity cookbook wouldn't be very high on my list. 

Can you return it? 

• Like 6

WHAT?! does that mean. Never mind. I do not want to know.

She's funny tho cuz...I'm really looking at the pictures in the book - she ain't cooking. She's posing. ( (for photos and pretending, you know, the 80s slang word - poser. That's her.)

Idk. What is wrong with making a common sense, dependable, non-freaky ingredient, healthy, sensible cookbook people?

Thug kitchen is also in the stack. I'm afraid to open it. (Yowsa on the language!)

I checked it Thug Kitchen. It was ok. I think I copied out a recipe. BUT, there was notably NO identifying author information or pictures. Thanks to Google I see that the authors are pretty non-thug looking. Despite the suggestive food photos, neither had obvious tattoos in the Google pictures. Perhaps trying to create a niche? "Posing" perhaps?

• Like 1

OTOH, I did see a book in the craft section called something like "Subversive Cross-Stitch." I didn't buy it, but it was quite funny. I would not half mind cross-stitching "Nobody Cares" on a wall hanging. It totally goes with my sense of humor.

Ha! I checked that out too! Made a nice two-sided cross stitch for a friend, "Too bad, So sad." on one side and "$#!%!" on the other, in a rotating frame so you can easily redecorate depending on your mood. Pretty good for my first project, if I do say so myself. ;-)

ETA My kids were horrified and told me it was inappropriate, so anybody who agrees can rest assured that i have been fully reprimanded.

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 19

It was just a library book selection so no big waste.  I did buy Whole 30 and Well Fed today without library sampling them first.  The library waiting lists are crazy long and I can return the books if they aren't what I'm looking for.

I can't jump in the Paleo - Vegan or any other selective diet camp because of who all lives here...but I'm interested in the Whole 30 thanks to you Hive women!  I know nothing about Paleo - it looks like bacon for breakfast, ham for lunch and hamburgers for dinner in my little brain...but I'm going to read a bit and make judgement later.

Gwenyth though, phbbbt.  Stupid cookbook.

The steam was like a facial...  necessary if you get a ton of pimples and ingrown hairs from all the Brazilian waxes to keep your struggles-with-his-sexuality now ex husband interested in her.  I actually heard she's done with all that now and "It looks like the 70's down there."

Step 1: Give your wacky idea for what to eat to your personal chef.

Step 2: Have personal chef cook the food for you.

Step 3: Eat the wacky food.

SEE?  It IS easy!!!

I feel sad for her actually. I think it's all a farce and that farce has been slowly crumbling.  I wish she'd say to hell with it all, find her authentic self, and a non-famous guy who loves that, whatever that is for her.

• Like 7

Celebrity cookbooks are, in my experience, all a big crock. Unless that celebrity comes via cooking ala Julia Child. Even that can be a crapshoot (Rachel Ray and Jamie Oliver, imma looking at you).

I really like most of the Thug Kitchen's recipes. If one is looking for interesting vegan food or vegan soul food, Bryant Terry's books are all great. Grub and Vegan Soul Kitchen are both good. And Bryant invests a lot of his time and cookbook earning into urban gardening education and such.

• Like 3

Reminds me of Gourmet magazine.  I subscribed for years.  I think I made 2 recipes in all that time (which I still make).  Most of the time I was just awestruck by the bizarre combinations of food and exotic ingredients that you'd have to be a zillionaire to procure.  It was like a train wreck...I could.not.look...away.  LOL

• Like 7

Lol..I walked into B&N the other day and saw  Gwyneth's annoying face smiling at me from the cover of this book.  When I saw that the title was, "It's All Easy" I actually laughed and said out loud, "Gwyneth, you're such a stupid lying liar."

• Like 1

The steam was like a facial...  necessary if you get a ton of pimples and ingrown hairs from all the Brazilian waxes to keep your struggles-with-his-sexuality now ex husband interested in her.  I actually heard she's done with all that now and "It looks like the 70's down there."

Step 1: Give your wacky idea for what to eat to your personal chef.

Step 2: Have personal chef cook the food for you.

Step 3: Eat the wacky food.

SEE?  It IS easy!!!

I feel sad for her actually. I think it's all a farce and that farce has been slowly crumbling.  I wish she'd say to hell with it all, find her authentic self, and a non-famous guy who loves that, whatever that is for her.

Seriously, how do you people find these things out.

I'm afraid to google this stuff for fear of what will pop up forevermore on Google, gmail, and FB.

• Like 9

Celebrity cookbooks are, in general, full of nothing but disappointment. 

Possible exception for those of you with young adults: I've Chrissy Teigen's is actually quite good, and that the recipes are relatively fool-proof. In another online community where I'm the virutal mom, of sorts, they say it's a great starter cookbook for people who are just starting. It's simple and straightforward, thorough with instructions, uses mostly easily accessible ingredients, and has just enough style that they feel like they're doing something interesting and worthwhile. Plus, it's Chrissy Teigen, who apparently is next to impossible for that age group to dislike.

Just thought I'd toss that out there in case it's useful to anyone who's about to launch a kid out to college, etc!

• Like 2

I just went and looked at some samples.  Dumb.

Ginger chia pudding?  What the...

Tons and tons of ingredients that are near impossible to find and if you do they will cost you an arm and a leg.

Ok, I am not a chia pudding person, but I know LOT of people who are.  They love them some chia pudding. And I can buy chia at my supermarket. For 8$ I can get a huge bag.  I have one. I use it sometimes in smoothies. And I can prob buy chia pudding at local restaurants. So, it's not that out there, depending on where you live. In fact, I looked up that chia ginger pudding and I could make it right now. I actually have all the stuff in the house, and it is super easy to make.

I'm not a Gwenyth fan, to say the least, but I have tried a couple of her recipes and they have always been very good. It KILLS me to say that, btw. I am a pretty harsh judge of cookbooks and the occasional recipe of hers that I have tried would mean that I might, say, pick up one of her cookbooks at a library sale. So, I would pay 5$, lol. FWIW, She did a cooking show with Mario Batali. She does know her way around a kitchen, again, that is something I say grudgingly. The only other nice thing I can say about Ms Paltrow is that she speaks flawless Castilian Spanish. It is a joy to hear.

Her cookbooks are prob most useful for people who have a lot of food sensitivities and the $$ to throw at it.

But I will laugh myself sick at the idea of her having ANY idea of what life is like for a 'busy mother'.  Just no.

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 5

Seriously, how do you people find these things out.

I'm afraid to google this stuff for fear of what will pop up forevermore on Google, gmail, and FB.

It was on my facebook feed after she spoke about it on some late night talk show.  Probably Jimmy Kimmel.  For some reason my facebook friends watch him a lot.

If you use Firefox, you can turn on private mode and search for anything you want.  That's what I do when I get celebrity curious.

• Like 2

Celebrity cookbooks are, in my experience, all a big crock. Unless that celebrity comes via cooking ala Julia Child. Even that can be a crapshoot (Rachel Ray and Jamie Oliver, imma looking at you).

I really like most of the Thug Kitchen's recipes. If one is looking for interesting vegan food or vegan soul food, Bryant Terry's books are all great. Grub and Vegan Soul Kitchen are both good. And Bryant invests a lot of his time and cookbook earning into urban gardening education and such.

I have to own up to having a couple keeper recipes from both of them. Ok, so. Changed the fish pie because the hard boiled eggs didn't go in there, but the rest of the recipe was good.

Someone please explain the steaming/streaming thing so I don't have to look. I'm too visual to unsee that. Did she consciously uncouple from her pants?

• Like 5

I have to own up to having a couple keeper recipes from both of them. Ok, so. Changed the fish pie because the hard boiled eggs didn't go in there, but the rest of the recipe was good.

Someone please explain the steaming/streaming thing so I don't have to look. I'm too visual to unsee that. Did she consciously uncouple from her pants?

:lol: :lol: :lol:   Explained in my first comment above.

This thread has been detrimental to my emotional health.

It was just a library book selection so no big waste.  I did buy Whole 30 and Well Fed today without library sampling them first.  The library waiting lists are crazy long and I can return the books if they aren't what I'm looking for.

I can't jump in the Paleo - Vegan or any other selective diet camp because of who all lives here...but I'm interested in the Whole 30 thanks to you Hive women!  I know nothing about Paleo - it looks like bacon for breakfast, ham for lunch and hamburgers for dinner in my little brain...but I'm going to read a bit and make judgement later.

Gwenyth though, phbbbt.  Stupid cookbook.

Join the Whole30 social group! Two of us are starting in August.

• Like 2

:lol: :lol: :lol: Explained in my first comment above.

Ooohhhhhhh! I read it as "she STREAMS her nether regions." When you started talking about steam I thought there was some weird channel with nothing but a camera placed strategically outside her tea house. "Steams" is much less shocking.

• Like 10

Ooohhhhhhh! I read it as "she STREAMS her nether regions." When you started talking about steam I thought there was some weird channel with nothing but a camera placed strategically outside her tea house. "Steams" is much less shocking.

You're one of my favorite hive members.

• Like 7

I have some good recipes from Jamie Oliver too but the last cook book I got of his was just annoying. It's buried on my shelf with the other cookbooks that see little use. One of his other books is on the shelf I read and use more often. Rachel Ray and Pioneer Woman finally went to St. Vincent De Paul's. My MIL likes to send me cookbooks but I have a firm cap on the shelf space allocated to cookbooks and so as new stuff comes in, old stuff goes out.

The best simple cook books I have found are by MaryAnn Vollstedt. Our favorite is her Big Book of Breakfast but her soup and stew book and her "What's for Dinner" book is also pretty good. Not a celebrity, just a reliable good cookbook author.

• Like 2

WHY did I read something I cannot unread?  :smilielol5:

• Like 3

I've heard some people who liked the cookbook.  I think she'd have been better off to choose a different title though.  No one can take that seriously.

Cookbooks are hard, there are so many elements, and some of it is to do with taste - how you cook, what you like, how precise you are, and so on.

I don't think I've ever seen one where every recipe is something I'd use.

I found specific problems with different ones.  I usually find Jamie Oliver good for his more "regular" food - but his patter drives me a little nuts.  Martha Stewart is better than it used to be - a lot of hers I found had technical failures.  Williams-Sonoma seem to make everything more complicated than necessary, and I have had some technical issues there as well.

The biggest disappointment I had though was with The Nourished Kitchen, which a few people recommended to me.  I've had a few that worked and tasted ok, a few that worked and tasted really bland.  But there were an equal number I tried from that book that were actually inedible, and they were expensive.  So now I am not that inclined to try others, because I can't really afford to waste that kind of money regularly.

ETA - I'd also say chia seed pudding isn't hard, just kind of new.  I can get it at the bulk barn for a pretty cheap price.  It's not a bad addition to the cooking repertoire if your family likes it.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

This thread has been really fun to read.  

"Rachel Ray and Jamie Oliver, imma looking at you"  Right?!  Blech.  I'm no RayRay fan.  Jamie?  I haven't really seen anything in his cookbooks that make me want to cook.

Chia pudding, lol.  I was cooking through Oh She Glows - it begins with breakfast.  So I did this little experiment on some friends I knew were coming over Friday night.  Made a bunch of things from the book - including Chia Seed pudding which for any of you who aren't familiar basically looks like fish eggs in a mushy gel (YES! don't we all want to eat THAT?!)

The tasting went from best to worst.  This poor man in the group is just the nicest.  He was pleased with everything until he got to the pudding.  DH and I watched him take a bite - he had no CLUE what a polite response to OH MY GOSH get this out of my mouth sensation was.  Hilarious.

Anyway - Gwenyth has been fun to pick on, anyone want to talk about Alicia Silverstone?  Lol.

I must admit like a pp, I do make something regularly from a celebrity cookbook of Ms. Silverstone's.  The date apple cinnamon oatmeal recipe is one that you can make ahead and pour hot water over later.  It has been a staple for us and very nourishing for a dear fragile elderly friend whom I make it for every couple months.

Anyway - Gwenyth has been fun to pick on, anyone want to talk about Alicia Silverstone?  Lol.

Yes!  Her Kind cookbook is the very definition of a vegan who doesn't eat many vegetables.  It's macrobiotic without the fish, but lots of sugary desserts (and you can't convince me it's not sugar just because you're using some weird syrup from Whole Foods instead of cane sugar).

• Like 1

FYI the only recipe I ended up liking in her book was the oatmeal one.  And I am with you on the sugar.  Now I eat my share and more of white sugar, raw sugar, agave, Starbucks mocha sugar, lol.  

It cracks me up when someone subs something saying it's healthier just beause WFoods sells it for four times as much as the original item :)

FYI the only recipe I ended up liking in her book was the oatmeal one.  And I am with you on the sugar.  Now I eat my share and more of white sugar, raw sugar, agave, Starbucks mocha sugar, lol.  

It cracks me up when someone subs something saying it's healthier just beause WFoods sells it for four times as much as the original item :)

Especially when you google it and discover it's almost 100% fructose.  Yeah, that's healthy.  And the fastest way to get a fatty liver.

Especially when you google it and discover it's almost 100% fructose.  Yeah, that's healthy.  And the fastest way to get a fatty liver.

Yup, someone recently posted a recipe for marshmallows on Facebook that they claimed was healthy, so healthy you could eat as many as you want. Um, it just used honey instead of regular sugar. 

• Like 2

I saw one of Gwenyth's smoothies being made an sampled on some chat show. Cost was huge and it failed taste wise. Think this http://www.scarymommy.com/gwyneth-paltrows-breakfast-smoothie/ is referring to the smoothie in question.

hilarious!

I think it doesn't pass the "if you can't pronounce it don't eat it" test. 

Honestly, I think GP really does believe the stuff she touts.   There are people into some really weird stuff and she is their queen.  :) 

• Like 3

What does that even mean? The bolded? I googled and nothing comes up. Do I even want to know????

:lol:  :lol:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  I'm still chuckling over this one. Yeah, it would be much more bizarre than steaming. 

• Like 1