Menu

Do you homeschool your children?

What method of schooling best describes your reality?  

1. 1. What method of schooling best describes your reality?

• I homeschool exclusively and don't outsource anything.
    • I homeschool exclusively and outsource "extracurriculars" (music, art, athletics)
    • I homeschool some subjects and outsource others.
    • We use a public school for some subjects.
    • We use a private school for some subjects.
    • Some of my children attend school, others are homeschooled.
    • All of my children attend school.

I'm curious what the rough percentages are here as far as homeschooling is concerned. This isn't intended to be a discussion of the relative merits of different methods of educating one's children. It's not meant to put anyone on the defensive (or offensive, for that matter). It's just a general curiousity kinda thing and I like posting polls.:) I'm not offering "Other" as one of the options, so if you want to vote, please try to find the description that best suits your reality.

Edited by Colleen

My boys take Karate and have done seasonal sports... so I guess that's "outsourcing extracurriculars". We'll probably have them in some sort of instrumental lessons soon as well...

Hmmmm... does EPGY count as outsourcing? It's a computer curriculum, though not "live". So we do explanations/review as needed.

Nevertheless, I marked number 2.

I'll start from the bottom and go up! :)

My 6yo -- homeschooled for all academics; receives speech and occupational therapy at the local school two mornings per week for an hour each; takes gymnastics class for special needs children once per week

My 9yo -- homeschooled for all academics; takes an art class with our local homeschool group once per month; takes Tae Kwon Do lessons three nights per week for 2 hours

My 14yo -- homeschooled for all academics; takes an art class with our local homeschool group once per month; plays baseball and basketball for local teams (seasonal activity)

My 17yo -- homeschools 3 days per week; takes classes at the community college 2 days per week; takes Tae Kwon Do lessons three nights per week for 2 hours

Different kids-different plans.

Since the vote only allows one answer I picked "I homeschool some subjects and outsource others. "

DD9 is homeschooled exclusively but takes extracurriculars out of the house. They are the same options as if she was in public school though, so they aren't really part of our homeschooling. Swimming, piano, art, and Awanas fill her afternoons.

The baby goes to day care, and will go to private daycare and I hope private school. I don't plan on homeschooling her. (Then again I didn't plan on homeschooling the older kids either:tongue_smilie:).

DS 14 takes several classes through a program through the public school, but it is only for homeschoolers. So, for your poll I don't know if you would consider that outsourcing or public school. It is not traditional public school but it is public school funded. He also takes private extracurricular classes like Shakespeare, piano and swim team, again unrelated to our school choice.

I am currently teaching almost all subjects school-related here. The older boys are all taking online science courses. I'm counting the hours (much as I love them) until they can dual enroll at the local community college for things like Calculus and advanced sciences. One more year!

In the meantime, my oldest takes piano lessons. All four boys are very active in tae kwon do. Two of my sons are active in Boy Scouts. All of these activities involve me MOSTLY writing a check each month. Dh is involved in Scouts. We're all active with our sons' TKD school. Piano, I ADORE my son's teacher and I think I've taken on kind of a mentor role with her, I do nothing to further his skills.

I love that there is no other option. It is way overused!

Yep.

I picked no outsourcing... but we plan to do gymnastics or dance, something along those lines. Most PS kids go to classes for those too, so I don't really think they count as not exclusively homeschooling iykwim.

Yes, I know what you mean. Just trying to cover the bases.:)

Well, I am a bit of a rebel as I didn't quite follow your descriptions. :)

I voted for the first option because I teach all our academic classes. My dc are involved in dance, jiu-jitsu, swimming, skating and bowling, but I don't consider these as outsourced classes as my dc would probably be doing them regardless of where they were schooled.

So, I know you listed athletics in the second option, but I am choosing to ignore it. :D

I chose option 1 because we've been homeschooling exclusively the past year. In the past we've outsourced swim lessons and ballet, but those are after school activities that are full of public schooled kids. So I didn't think those counted as outsourced extracurriculars, like a half-day homeschool sports program or something like that.

My ideal world, though, would have a 'school' where I could send dc one day a week for pe/sports, music, art, and drama. Not a co-op where I would have to help, because I want one day a week to do my grocery shopping, errands, etc. And, in my ideal world, it would be paid for by the state because they are all things that the state pays for in ps anyway. I know, don't hold my breath, right?

I voted for the first option because I teach all our academic classes. My dc are involved in dance, jiu-jitsu, swimming, skating and bowling, but I don't consider these as outsourced classes as my dc would probably be doing them regardless of where they were schooled.

So, I know you listed athletics in the second option, but I am choosing to ignore it. :D

Did I say I like posting polls?:tongue_smilie: I wish I could have had more space to explain where I was going with that second choice. Similar to what you said, I don't think of my boys' piano lessons or rec soccer as "outsourcing". They would be doing those things even if they were in school. But sometimes people do use art or music or PE classes such that they consider it outsourcing and I guess I was just trying to offer an option that fit with that...

i picked option 2 - for us, for this year.

I am not counting, at all, my two teens, who are technically homeschooled, under WA law, but are really attending comm. coll.

Younger dd's do everything at home, but we do attend a 'fun' co-op with art, drama, fun science, etc. so that is outsourced.

Their other activities (Awana, gymnastics, dog agility) they would be doing even if attending public school. Our Youth & Government group is mostly homeschooled, but does have a few school kids (public and private) in it this year

"some of my children attend school, others are homeschooled" was my vote...as you can see by my sig. ;)

As for homeschooling versus outsourcing for dd11 (what a funny word that is - and I never use it IRL) ...academically, it's all done here...extracurriculars like kung fu classes and voice are done elsewhere. :)

I'm curious what the rough percentages are here as far as homeschooling is concerned. This isn't intended to be a discussion of the relative merits of different methods of educating one's children. It's not meant to put anyone on the defensive (or offensive, for that matter). It's just a general curiousity kinda thing and I like posting polls.:) I'm not offering "Other" as one of the options, so if you want to vote, please try to find the description that best suits your reality.

It's interesting to me to note that, while we "outsource" things like lab sciences and foreign language in the high school years, we can easily spend more time in one on one instruction with dd than the tutor, depending upon the subject. Though she is taking Chemistry at the homeschool resource center this year, Dh (who has an undergraduate degree in Chemistry) *is* her Chemistry teacher. We have her signed up for the class, though, for the ease of implementing the labs. :)

I would love to see this poll also directed at high school years only to see if the percentages change at all for that particular age bracket. After 10 years of homeschooling, one thing is certain for us - my answer would have been different had I been asked to participate in this poll before we entered the high school years.

Edited by Sharon in SC

It's interesting to me to note that, while we "outsource" things like lab sciences and foreign language in the high school years, we can easily spend more time in one on one instruction with dd than the tutor, depending upon the subject. Though she is taking Chemistry at the homeschool resource center this year, Dh (who has an undergraduate degree in Chemistry) *is* her Chemistry teacher. We have her signed up for the class, though, for the ease of implementing the labs. :)

I would love to see this poll also directed at high school years only to see if the percentages change at all for that particular age bracket. After 10 years of homeschooling, one thing is certain for us - my answer would have been different had I been asked to participate in this poll before we entered the high school years.

Through middle school I home schooled all of the subjects. However, for high school I have begun to outsource more subjects every year. Partly because of the higher level classes require more knowledge of the subject matter. For example, dd took AP Biology last year and is taking AP Economics this year. I could have taught (and actually in the case of Biology am currently teaching to ds) a basic high school level biology class. Same with Economics. However, for the AP's I prefer not to. That, to me, requires a more refined knowledge, especially for the essay questions on the AP test.

Additionally, I want my dc exposed to more than just my viewpoint. Having online classes have really helped in this regard. They get to discuss topics in detail with other classmates (from around the world!). I look at this as a stepping stone between home schooling and CC (which dd will be doing next year) and then university classes. It's a virtual classroom, but a classroom nonetheless.

As always, just my musings.

I picked #3, and I am surprised there aren't more people in that category. So many here have posted about going to weekly co-ops, as we do, which I consider outsourcing. Maybe others are reading the options differently.

I actually do consider myself an exclusive homeschooler, even though my kids have some academic subjects at co-op. They still do work in those subjects at home, that I help them with, as well.

Erica

I picked #3, and I am surprised there aren't more people in that category. So many here have posted about going to weekly co-ops, as we do, which I consider outsourcing. Maybe others are reading the options differently.

I actually do consider myself an exclusive homeschooler, even though my kids have some academic subjects at co-op. They still do work in those subjects at home, that I help them with, as well.

Erica

:iagree:, wholeheartedly. In my mind, it's all about setting our kids up to excel. I'm thankful for the freedom to orchestrate my kids' education, every aspect of it. It just so happens that *I* get to choose to take advantage of a resource center enabling them to learn Spanish from an incredible tutor in a way that I simply don't believe they would if we were trying to do it at home. Nonetheless, *I* am the one as their homeschooling mom who gets to carefully judge from one option to another what is going to serve them best in their education.

Erica

It depends on what your co-op offers. A large number of co-ops offer only enrichment classes art, music, PE, etc.) and no academic options.

I actually needed another option! (though I very rarely vote other ;) b/c I am too darn opinionated for that!)

I voted some go to school, some homeschool. That isn't a really valid picture of our life.

Homeschool all subjects until 8th grade, outsource some in high school for others, and wishing I could afford boarding school for 1. Now that is my reality. :)

. . . and although I wouldn't really count it under the homeschooling/outsourcing paradigm, sports (soccer, swimming, basketball).

We also have ds10 in a homeschool enrichment program two mornings a week, but as far as we're concerned, it's just low-cost, educational babysitting. Not because it's bad--just because NC doesn't allow you to consider it homeschooling, and because we need the extra study time. We don't particularly care what they do content-wise, as long as it's a classroom setting and it's semi-educational. They do a lot of art and "projects," which is great, because that's just not my thing.

I'd like to get around to outsourcing music, but I'm not sure that's going to happen this year.

I'm in the some attend, some stay home camp. Each year who homeschools and who goes to school depends on the needs of the kid, what is available at school...and is this a kid who will DO the work at home or a kid who will spend all day digging in like a belligerent toad and refusing to do anything (this would be oldest dd AND my son with autism who does NOT even do homework at home - he has compartmentalized his daily activities and school happens only at school.)

Right now I am only homeschooling the youngest, 7th grade. This may be the last year I homeschool.

It depends on what your co-op offers. A large number of co-ops offer only enrichment classes art, music, PE, etc.) and no academic options.

I think that would be sort of a grey area on this particular poll, but maybe that is how most people involved with co-ops are interpreting it. Personally, I would say that if my kids are in a weekly co-op of any kind, even if core academics aren't covered, that would be outsourcing to a greater degree than just having private music lessons, or being on a sports team. A traditionally schooled student often does those things in the evenings (music lessons or play sports), whereas they would not attend a weekly day of music, art, gym class, etc. It just doesn't seem that in the poll, those whose children only take piano lessons should be in the same category as those who spend every Friday at co-op. Co-ops take a burden off homeschooling parents in a way that piano lessons don't.

Not that it really matters, lol. I guess I just look at the percentages on the poll, and the very small number who are choosing #3, and think that it might be a bit misleading as far as co-ops go.

Erica

Edited by Erica in PA

I outsource gymnastics and tennis through the park district. I teach all the other subjects. I have found some art and music curriculums that I really enjoy using. The children have started asking for violin now though. (They were given one by the family who lived here before.) That is one subject I would not be able to teach! If I can find a place I can afford, I would love to let them learn.

Third option because I do outsource the English through an online academy. I wasn't sure of the private school option though because one son takes science and sports at a university model school which caters mainly to homeschoolers and meets three days a week. They offer all the subjects and some team sports. But the school is accredited, I think, so it's more formal than a coop. But most of the kids there homeschool at least some subjects, not like the kids going to a private school.

Presently, only piano is outsourced. We have done Shorin Ryu, horseback riding, science co-op and other in the past. At other times, depending on what's happening in our family life and what's best for the individual student, we have used virtual charter schools, public full-time and dual enrollment and private school.

Janet

I chose Option 3 (homeschool some, outsource some). This is the first year that we have outsourced anything.

My boys (8th graders) are taking Latin I (using Lingua Latina) online and they are pretty much doing that by themselves. This is after we've spent a couple of previous years going through some Henle together.

They are also taking the CW Maxim/Chreia class online, but I am still heavily involved in their day-to-day work for that class.

Dd 11 is also taking a 10-week Latin course online through the same teacher my boys are using.

And the boys participate in an online TOG Dialectic history discussion once per week. I'll have several weeks where I'll be the one leading that discussion.

It took the boys a few weeks to get in the swing of having outside deadlines to meet, but they seem to have figured out how to manage their schedule smoothly.

ETA: And I'll bet your poll results would be different if you posted this on the high school board. There are lots of parents over there who don't participate in the General board. I think a family is much more likely to outsource as their children get close to / move into high school.

Edited by Jackie in AR

This is our 6th year hsing. I have two hsers, down from 3. One child is attending our town's public high school, with the oldest being a college sophomore. My oldest was never hs'd. My youngest has never been to school.

My hsrs take various classes here and there. Summer programs, art programs, riding, book clubs, music, swimming, sailing etc. We've done lots of activities through our hsing group, too. We're just go -with -the- flow kinda folks. Whatever we enjoy, we do.

Edited by LibraryLover

We outsource athletics. I would like to find a good piano teacher that would come to my house, but until then, church choir is all the music they are getting (unless Daddy downloading his favorites, like Lynyrd Skynyrd, onto the kids ipods for "cultural awareness and music appreciation" counts).

We also participate in a once a week co-op for Latin, Science, Writing and Grammar, Omnibus, and Drama. It is not a drop and go program, we all stay and are involved in the teaching, so it is free. I still consider it to be homeschooling since I teach all my own kids Latin at the co-op, except the preschooler, and I help them complete their other assignments given by my friends in the other classes.

Did I say I like posting polls?:tongue_smilie: I wish I could have had more space to explain where I was going with that second choice. Similar to what you said, I don't think of my boys' piano lessons or rec soccer as "outsourcing". They would be doing those things even if they were in school. But sometimes people do use art or music or PE classes such that they consider it outsourcing and I guess I was just trying to offer an option that fit with that...

Okay, NOW you've confused me. You asked if we outsource extra-curriculars and you listed music, art and athletics. But now you say you don't count your kids piano or soccer? :confused:

What *does* count?

Although I still consider myself a homeschooler for all my children's subjects except extracurriculars, I selected "some outsourcing." Based upon my agreements with the organizations I outsource from, I have more involvement in these subjects than a child going to school.

My oldest (9th grade) is currently taking 2 online classes : Latin from Regina Coeli, Honors Chemistry from Northwestern University's Center for Talent Development. We are co-oping with 2 other families on literature and history. With these two subjects, we feel that the group discussions are essential to the topic, and we cannot provide them with this on our own. Otherwise discussions would be teacher/student and not have the dynamic we are looking for. Plus, this is certainly a case where 3 heads are better than one on planning this out. Although we are using Teaching Company courses for these, we needed to come up with the plan for the outside reading and assignments.

With middle son (7th grade) we have a science club for Physics. This is not an outside class, but it is run by the moms who take turns leading the class. We also have a book club, which helps provid the discussions for literature.

My daughter (3rd grade) is in a science club as well, with a similar organization to my son's. She did a history club last year with the mom's leading.

All my children participate in Art Club, run by a mom in our homeschooling group. While she provides instruction on certain topics, she encourages participants to have some say in what we will be doing. My son loves cartooning, so we will be doing a unit on cartooning (with my son helping to lead it).

We have a piano teacher for music and my boys take Karate.

I posted that some are home, some are in school, and, for this year, that is true. My 10th grade dd is attending ps for the first time, and oldest dd is in college.

However, for the last 14 years, I home schooled exclusively, only outsourcing extra-curriculars. This is my first year with one in school, and I still have 2 at home (a senior who is doing most of her stuff independently and a son who is still home schooling exclusively).

Well, I although I voted for this one, I wouldn't actually say that I "use the public school for certain subjects" because I do all the subjects at home. But I do use the public school for the "extras" at our co-op. My home curriculum would be complete without those classes, but they are like the gravy.

The kids take extra currics like swimming lessons, cadets and music lessons so I put exclusively homeschooling with outsourcing of extracurrics. They would be in the same things even if they went to ps so I don't really think of them as part of the homeschooling package, just something they do for fun

I picked homeschool exclusively. But DS does have flute lessons, and sometimes swimming. Also I teach some co-op classes, which he attends, but since I teach them I'll count that as homeschooling. :D

I'm in this camp. Once my dd hit the end of middle school things changed, but before that I'd consider me/us all home schooled. Piano lessons and art would have been taken no matter where they were educated.

Through middle school I home schooled all of the subjects. However' date=' for high school I have begun to outsource more subjects every year. Partly because of the higher level classes require more knowledge of the subject matter. For example, dd took AP Biology last year and is taking AP Economics this year. I could have taught (and actually in the case of Biology am currently teaching to ds) a basic high school level biology class. Same with Economics. However, for the AP's I prefer not to. That, to me, requires a more refined knowledge, especially for the essay questions on the AP test.

Additionally, I want my dc exposed to more than just my viewpoint. Having online classes have really helped in this regard. They get to discuss topics in detail with other classmates (from around the world!). I look at this as a stepping stone between home schooling and CC (which dd will be doing next year) and then university classes. It's a virtual classroom, but a classroom nonetheless.

As always, just my musings.[/quote']

I chose Option 3 (homeschool some, outsource some). This is the first year that we have outsourced anything.

My boys (8th graders) are taking Latin I (using Lingua Latina) online and they are pretty much doing that by themselves. This is after we've spent a couple of previous years going through some Henle together.

They are also taking the CW Maxim/Chreia class online, but I am still heavily involved in their day-to-day work for that class.

Dd 11 is also taking a 10-week Latin course online through the same teacher my boys are using.

And the boys participate in an online TOG Dialectic history discussion once per week. I'll have several weeks where I'll be the one leading that discussion.

It took the boys a few weeks to get in the swing of having outside deadlines to meet, but they seem to have figured out how to manage their schedule smoothly.

ETA: And I'll bet your poll results would be different if you posted this on the high school board. There are lots of parents over there who don't participate in the General board. I think a family is much more likely to outsource as their children get close to / move into high school.

Although I still consider myself a homeschooler for all my children's subjects except extracurriculars, I selected "some outsourcing." Based upon my agreements with the organizations I outsource from, I have more involvement in these subjects than a child going to school.

My oldest (9th grade) is currently taking 2 online classes : Latin from Regina Coeli, Honors Chemistry from Northwestern University's Center for Talent Development. We are co-oping with 2 other families on literature and history. With these two subjects, we feel that the group discussions are essential to the topic, and we cannot provide them with this on our own. Otherwise discussions would be teacher/student and not have the dynamic we are looking for. Plus, this is certainly a case where 3 heads are better than one on planning this out. Although we are using Teaching Company courses for these, we needed to come up with the plan for the outside reading and assignments.

With middle son (7th grade) we have a science club for Physics. This is not an outside class, but it is run by the moms who take turns leading the class. We also have a book club, which helps provid the discussions for literature.

My daughter (3rd grade) is in a science club as well, with a similar organization to my son's. She did a history club last year with the mom's leading.

All my children participate in Art Club, run by a mom in our homeschooling group. While she provides instruction on certain topics, she encourages participants to have some say in what we will be doing. My son loves cartooning, so we will be doing a unit on cartooning (with my son helping to lead it).

We have a piano teacher for music and my boys take Karate.