Menu

Bill vs Pit Bull

Spy Car

What a day. Fighting strange cold. Yacked last night. Chilled. Horrible headache.

But this morning my dog, a beautiful Vizsla named Chester, need to get out. So I bungled up and headed to our friendly off-leash.

After about an hour of good running a play, a guy shows up with his pit. Out of nowhere the dog launched an attack on mine (who is at my feet) and latches on. I grab the dog by its rear legs (which is the right way to break up such things), but even hanging in mid-air the beast won't let go. 

So I flip the dog over, put a knee on its chest, grab onto its lips, and force my hands into its mouth and around its jaws. Then with everything I've got I pry the jaws open. I'm a little blooded in the process (not too bad, as I used the dog's own lip flaps as "insulation" from his teeth), and Chester—who was quite shaken—escaped.

The other owner was shocked and apologetic. Offered to pay vet bills, etc. Fortunately not necessary. 

Small cut (me), hand sore, cold kicking my butt. 

What a day!

Bill

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He apologized. That amounts to an admission of guilt and you could totally sue him. But it was also decent behavior, so as long as he's not stupid enough to bring his dog to the off-leash park any more, letting it go is perfectly reasonable.

You obviously know what you're doing around dogs, and I'm glad neither you nor your dog was seriously hurt!

• Like 12

Bill, oh my goodness, I am so sorry! WOW, you handled that like a pro. Take care of the hand. I once had a superficial dog nip - just broke the skin but seemed like no big deal - infect because of the type of bacteria the dog was carrying. Don't feel guilty about reporting if you need to do so.

At least the dog owner admitted responsibility. Hope Chester has no residual affects.

• Like 3

What a day. Fighting strange cold. Yacked last night. Chilled. Horrible headache.

But this morning my dog, a beautiful Vizsla named Chester, need to get out. So I bungled up and headed to our friendly off-leash.

After about an hour of good running a play, a guy shows up with his pit. Out of nowhere the dog launched an attack on mine (who is at my feet) and latches on. I grab the dog by its rear legs (which is the right way to break up such things), but even hanging in mid-air the beast won't let go.

So I flip the dog over, put a knee on its chest, grab onto its lips, and force my hands into its mouth and around its jaws. Then with everything I've got I pry the jaws open. I'm a little blooded in the process (not too bad, as I used the dog's own lip flaps as "insulation" from his teeth), and Chester—who was quite shaken—escaped.

The other owner was shocked and apologetic. Offered to pay vet bills, etc. Fortunately not necessary.

What a day!

Bill

Wow. So not how I would picture Bill in such a situation. I am going to have to TOALLY rethink my stereotype of you.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

• Like 4

What a day!

Bill

Where did it latch on to Chester? Was Chester not hurting?

That is the thing about pit bulls....their jaws are so powerful.

• Like 3

Ravin, so a person apologizes and you think of suing. So it's better for people to *not* apologize then when something bad happens? I'm sorry, I just get irritated with the whole sue happy society we live in. Reporting the attack is one thing but suing when someone apologizes and offers to pay for injuries? That seems just well, like a crappy, greedy thing to do. 

Bill, I'm glad you and your dog were not seriously injured. 

• Like 15

I think you have officially earned Superhero status!

I am glad to hear you were not hurt, and that your beloved pet was only shaken.

I am also glad to hear that the other dog owner was properly shocked and embarrassed. Because sometimes other dog owners... well, sometimes they aren't.

Again, glad all is well and hope your hands heal quickly.

• Like 3

This is why pits scare me... even the sweetest ones seem to go off like this occasionally. Unpredictable. Half the dogs in my city are pits or pit mixes though, so I've learned to just let it go and try not to worry about it.

That was pretty bada$$ of Bill though...

• Like 5

Wow. So not how I would picture Bill in such a situation. I am going to have to TOALLY rethink my stereotype of you.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

That's so funny because his reaction is almost exactly how I picture him: calm and rational in an emergency.

Except I would have expected him to pull a 10s unit rod thing out of his back pocket to prop the dog's mouth open. :D

Seriously, though, I'm so glad you knew what to do and weren't hurt.

• Like 29

How horrible and frightening, Bill.  I don't know, I think I would be reporting that to animal control, even though he did apologize and offer to pay vet bills. 

I agree with Jean, please report this.  Today it was a grown, self-possessed man.  Tomorrow it could be a small, helpless kid.

I'm so glad you're okay and I hope Chester isn't too frightened by this encounter.

• Like 3

The pit had Chester's ear. I wasn't totally sure in the fray if he had his ear or his face (I'd have guessed face). Chester had a little blood too. Not bad, way less than I expected.

I know dogs pretty well, well enough that is someone asked me if I thought sticking one's hand in an attacking pit bulls mouth was a good idea, I think I'd say, "ARE YOU CRAZY??? :D

Don't try this at home.

Bill

• Like 28

I agree with Jean, please report this. Today it was a grown, self-possessed man. Tomorrow it could be a small, helpless kid.

I'm so glad you're okay and I hope Chester isn't too frightened by this encounter.

Yes I agree with this..... And know there is no way I could have pried that dog off that way.

There was an elderly lady in a nearby city who was attacked by a pit. Her mid 40s friend got the dog off of the elderly friend and she pulled her leather coat over her head and protected her face. The dog did serious damage to both women. All the while the owner was beating it with a ball bat and it still wouldn't stop. A man near by heard the commotion and came down and shot the dog. I think both women would be dead if he had not.

The younger woman was in a wheel,chair for over a year and still limos from the attack. The older woman lost an eye or ear or maybe both.....her damage was more to the head area.

• Like 3

You feel certain the dog is current on his rabies vaccination?

How's Chester? I hope he won't be freaked to go to the dog park again.

The owner, who seemed like a very upright guy (and is known my people I know) assured me the rabies shots are current. Believe me, I asked.

I also hope Chester isn't too traumatized by this. He was very (very) frightened afterwards. But we actually stuck around for 45 minutes or so, just to normalize things. As you know, being attacked can change a dog. This was his first fight, if we can even call it that.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 7

I wanted to mention that Rocky was never afraid of other dogs or aggressive in any way until he suffered an unprovoked attack from a Chow Chow. Now he will get afraid of some dogs and will start to be aggressive out of fear.

This is my biggest concern Jean.

The pit bull, coincidently, was named Rocky.

Bill

• Like 1

I have a smallish (25lbs) Boston terrier/ Russell mix. This is why I don't do dog parks with her. They make me twitchy. She's my first pup and I'm still learning. I'm so happy the damage was contained, Bill. Please keep an eye on the wound. I'm sure you know they can go septic so quickly.

• Like 1

Dh once had to battle with a pit when one had our neighbor's cat in its mouth. It was scary and horrible. A neighbor started coming over with a gun to help. Dh was able to finally get the dog to let go but only after he broke a chair over its back. Dh was a bit bloody at the end as well. I thought he was crazy but he said it was just instinct to try to save the cat. 

I'm glad you and your dog are ok. 

• Like 1

I sorry you had this experience.

We used to take our pit to a local dog park. One day a man arrives with his Jack Russell Terrier. That dog entered and immediately started attacking my dog. Before my husband could grab our dogs hind legs to separate them the other guy sticks his hand between their faces and gets bit. No way to know which dog bit him. We were going to offer to pay half his medical bills since there was no way to know but within hours we were contacted by his attorney. He was suing us. Our insurance company opted not to fight it since we owned the pit. Paid out and dropped us.

We never returned to the dog park. Our pit has never been in another altercation with a dog or ever with a person.

Any dog can attack at any time. The media only reports when it is a pit doing the attacking.

• Like 3

Even though the owner is nice, please report it. As much as I believe that pit bulls can be reared so they aren't aggressive to humans, putting a pit bull in an off leash environment with other dogs sets the pit bull up for aggression. Even if the dog never previously showed aggression, he should have known better.

• Like 3

I sorry you had this experience.

We used to take our pit to a local dog park. One day a man arrives with his Jack Russell Terrier. That dog entered and immediately started attacking my dog. Before my husband could grab our dogs hind legs to separate them the other guy sticks his hand between their faces and gets bit. No way to know which dog bit him. We were going to offer to pay half his medical bills since there was no way to know but within hours we were contacted by his attorney. He was suing us. Our insurance company opted not to fight it since we owned the pit. Paid out and dropped us.

We never returned to the dog park. Our pit has never been in another altercation with a dog or ever with a person.

Any dog can attack at any time. The media only reports when it is a pit doing the attacking.

I definitely don't think all pits are bad. My grandparents had one and she was the sweetest thing ever. The issue is when pits do attack they usually do much more damage than other types of dogs. So, I get the attention given because the attacks are usually so bad. Dh is a strong man and was punching with all he had. He pulled, hit, and kicked but the full grown, angry pit wasn't going to let go of the cat. I've never seen another dog continue to do so much damage while someone is actively trying to stop it. 

• Like 2

I'm not anti-pit. I know many sweet pit bulls. I'm hearing Rocky has been a cool dog, up to today.

Stuff happens with dogs. The jaw strength is daunting when things go wrongly (like today) but I wouldn't want to condemn a whole breed or even this dog to never getting out in public and playing with other dogs. I'll be very careful around Rocky in the future, and it is the one thing I will expect of his owner too.

I may have to start carrying a C rod, or pencil, or long chopstick. Hand in the pit mouth, not an experience I hope to replicate soon :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 14

Ravin, so a person apologizes and you think of suing. So it's better for people to *not* apologize then when something bad happens? I'm sorry, I just get irritated with the whole sue happy society we live in. Reporting the attack is one thing but suing when someone apologizes and offers to pay for injuries? That seems just well, like a crappy, greedy thing to do. 

Bill, I'm glad you and your dog were not seriously injured. 

You focused on the first part of Ravin's post, but ignored the second part.  She wasn't advising Bill to sue; she was looking at it with a lawyer's perspective.

Bill was lucky that he knew what he was doing. The incredibly stupid owner of the other dog was very lucky that Bill knew what he was doing. The whole scenario could have played out very badly. If it had been my dog, I'd have been doing some fast apologizing and offering to pay vet bills in order to keep Bill from reporting my dog and possibly having him taken away. Then I'd think seriously about keeping that dog on his leash before he latches on to a toddler's ear.

Bill was very gracious to the other owner, and I hope that idiot knows just how lucky he is.

Lisa - who is grateful that Bill and Chester are okay, but whose slightly queasy stomach wishes Bill would get a new hobby besides engaging in pit bull wrestling. I need a Tito's after reading this.

• Like 10

That sounds awful. I'm very sorry.

I love dogs but all dogs scare me to an extent--a healthy extent IMO (what was my phone saying with akami???). I'm sure breed can make a difference but it comes down to the fact that dogs just can't give a verbal warning, we get busy, and we don't realize things are "off" until the dog does something totally unpredictable. Any animal, really--cats and turtles are just smaller, not necessarily less violent. It's a powerful reminder to treat all animals with care.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

Scary stuff!  Your poor dog must have been traumatized!  hope you are feeling better today.

I work as a liability secretary, would guess 70% of our cases are dog bite incidents.  Many are frivolous, bullshit claims, but there are some really awful ones too.  The owner of the pit bull was really decent to you, as well he should have been.

• Like 1

I'm glad you guys came out relatively well. 

THis sort of thing is why I always feel a little nervous at the off-leash parks.  You never know what someone's dog (or God fobit, possibly your own dog) might do suddenly. 

My mom's dog, who was one of those little mop dogs, was attacked that way by some sort of beagle cross - his eye came out and ultimately had to be removed.  He was never quite the same - the owner was NOT gracious.  Now, IMO, my mom doesn't control her dogs as well as she should, she somehow expects other people's dogs to be restrained, but in this case they were just walking along.

I like pits myself, they are my preferred type really, but they really are strong dogs and they usually have a high pain threshold. 

You focused on the first part of Ravin's post, but ignored the second part.  She wasn't advising Bill to sue; she was looking at it with a lawyer's perspective.

Bill was lucky that he knew what he was doing. The incredibly stupid owner of the other dog was very lucky that Bill knew what he was doing. The whole scenario could have played out very badly. If it had been my dog, I'd have been doing some fast apologizing and offering to pay vet bills in order to keep Bill from reporting my dog and possibly having him taken away. Then I'd think seriously about keeping that dog on his leash before he latches on to a toddler's ear.

Bill was very gracious to the other owner, and I hope that idiot knows just how lucky he is.

Yes, I know very well the she was telling the lawyer's perspective. I also realize she was not advising him to sue but saying he had grounds to because the owner admitted guilt by apologizing.

My stance holds that we live in a pretty crappy time when a person has to be afraid to be a decent person and apologize and offer to pay for damages/injuries for fear of then being "guilty" and sued. I guess from a lawyer's perspective it's better to be a jerk and not apologize so it's harder to be sued.

You would have put yourself at risk for being sued by doing what you said you would if it had been your dog. Fast apologizing + offering to pay vet bills = putting yourself at risk of litigation.

Maybe just maybe this is one part of the reasons why many people have lost common decency and good will towards others.....fear of looking guilty and being sued. It's sad. It's not advancement for a society. It's a loss. 

Bill was gracious and from what he posted it seems the owner or "idiot" was gracious as well. That person's dog did something stupid, and from the sound of it this behavior shocked the owner and the owner responded as best he could as most of us would have. From a lawyer's perspective the owner made a mistake by doing the decent thing and apologizing. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure how the statistics actually look for reporting (I know I've read stats on  attacks) but I do find it easy to believe.

We're surrounded by neighborhood Pits, and I had some serious issues with owner handling, but I was never more worried about them than my own large breed mixes.  I was going to say mine never hurt a fly, but one of them did kill a newborn rabbit and then panicked when the momma rabbit went after him. He was a big wuss.

Anyway, my point is that I never stopped looking at my lovey dovey, "kid-friendly", happy mushes as strong animals with the potential to do great harm if they ever saw fit.

As much as I love the idea of dog parks, I still see them as tragedies waiting to happen.

• Like 3

I'm not sure how the statistics actually look for reporting (I know I've read stats on attacks) but I do find it easy to believe.

We're surrounded by neighborhood Pits, and I had some serious issues with owner handling, but I was never more worried about them than my own large breed mixes. I was going to say mine never hurt a fly, but one of them did kill a newborn rabbit and then panicked when the momma rabbit went after him. He was a big wuss.

Anyway, my point is that I never stopped looking at my lovey dovey, "kid-friendly", happy mushes as strong animals with the potential to do great harm if they ever saw fit.

As much as I love the idea of dog parks, I still see them as tragedies waiting to happen.

I agree. After our dog park experience we never brought him to another one. When we did bring him I always did it at times when it was less likely to be anyone else there. We brought him so he would have room to run not to be social.

• Like 1

To me, this sounds odd.  Almost all parks in the UK are dog parks (with playgrounds for children sectioned off behind fences).  Most dogs are off the lead most of the time.  The only dog-on-dog attack that I know of personally happened on an apartment building stairwell, where there may have been a confusion about territory.  I don't believe that British people are especially good at dog training, and there are certainly enough tough breeds around, particularly staffies.

Glad you and your dog are okay, Bill.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

To me, this sounds odd.  Almost all parks in the UK are dog parks (with playgrounds for children sectioned off behind fences).  Most dogs are off the lead most of the time.  The only dog-on-dog attack that I know of personally happened on an apartment building stairwell, where there may have been a confusion about territory.  I don't believe that British people are especially good at dog training, and there are certainly enough tough breeds around, particularly staffies.

Glad you and your dog are okay, Bill.

A dog park is where your dog is fenced in with other dogs.  It isn't just a park where dogs are permitted.