Menu

Casual dinner with friends, which would you rather eat?

bibiche

I'd rather have the first, but my DH doesn't care for olives or capers.  The sweet spot would be the plain roasted chicken with an option to add the sauce at the table.  Also, you may need to provide the olive-caper-tomato recipe no matter what you decide to cook because now I want it.

• Like 16

I'd rather have the first, but my DH doesn't care for olives or capers.  The sweet spot would be the plain roasted chicken with an option to add the sauce at the table.  Also, you may need to provide the olive-caper-tomato recipe no matter what you decide to cook because now I want it.

I agree with all of those statements.

I love olives and capers and tomatoes, and I would love that recipe.  I think that would be a great thing to serve for a dinner with friends, but since not everyone would like that, I think having it as an optional sauce would be a good plan.

• Like 1

Hmm... all good things to consider.  I didn't think that people might not like those flavors.  Maybe I will make the tomato based sauce as a separate dish to serve with gnocchi and roast the chicken. I could put some tapenade under the skin of the chicken and that way if they don't like those flavors they could avoid that. I have some broccoli rabe. And a salad and cheese.  Have ingredients for dessert.  No idea for appetizer...

My big constraint is there is an allergy to all alliums as well as asafoetida, so I was hoping to punch up the flavor with anchovies, capers, olives and such.  Blergh.  Okay, time to make the gnocchi.

Thanks,everyone.

• Like 2

I've never once gone to a casual dinner with friends and cared what they served.  We're there for the fellowship!  Any food is good.  I don't care for olives at all - they're on my horrid list actually - but if a friend served them, it'd be ok as long as the fellowship was what I was expecting.

• Like 3

I've never once gone to a casual dinner with friends and cared what they served.  We're there for the fellowship!  Any food is good.  I don't care for olives at all - they're on my horrid list actually - but if a friend served them, it'd be ok as long as the fellowship was what I was expecting.

Nor have I. We have multiple food restrictions and I never want my hosts to be put out in trying to accomodate us. 

However, as a host, myself, I want to cook food that my guests will enjoy, even I don't eat it myself. I'm sure OP feels the same way. She's trying to accommodate an allergy and still wants to present an enjoyable feast. 

• Like 1

I want to cook food that my guests will enjoy. 

We do too.  That's why I tend to run meal plans by the actual guests first... ;)  And I ask about allergies.  We're friends or soon to become friends.  If I can't ask potential or real friends those questions, something's wrong.

I want to eat something that the person cooking enjoyed preparing.  I don't really care what we eat, I just want to have a nice time together and not have the hosts feel stressed about anything.  Both options sound tasty and I can certainly enjoy any meal someone makes for me (unless, of course, I had food restrictions they ignored, but I'm assuming friends wouldn't do that).  Especially if that meal includes homemade gnocchi.

• Like 3

Mmmm...chicken with sauce. Yum.

When you invite people over for dinner, you have to make your best guess. You should find out if any of the guests have food allergies, or foods that they really, really hate, so you won't cook those. Otherwise, you give it your best shot. As good guests, they will love whatever they are served, because if they wanted a meal cooked to their specifications, they'd go to a restaurant.

Which one would *you* prefer? Cook that.

Be still my heart. She's MAKING the gnocchi. In addition to my request for the sauce recipe, I'm also gonna need an address and a date/time.

iTA! We're crashing! We could even drive together. :D

It seems to me that the world is pretty evenly divided into people who love olives and people who hate them (I'm in the latter camp). If you'd like to make the dish with the sauce, ask them first if they like the ingredients. If so, go for it! If not, you will know to choose the other recipe.

Now I'm really surprised.  A lot of people seem to find tomatoes, olives and capers to be strong or unusual flavours.

I'd ask the guests in advance if they had any particular food needs, then make whichever one I fancied.  In fact, I make both roast chicken with thyme, lemon and garlic, and chicken pieces with tomato and olives quite often for guests.  Now I need to look into adding capers.

Edited by Laura Corin

Now I'm really surprised.  A lot of people seem to find tomatoes, olives and capers to be strong or unusual flavours.

I'd ask the guests in advance if they had any particular food needs, then make whichever one I fancied.  In fact, I make both roast chicken with thyme, lemon and garlic, and chicken pieces with tomato and olives quite often for guests.  Now I need to look into adding capers.

For my part, I dislike tomatoes intensely. Like, to the point where even the smell of the inside of a fresh tomato can make me gag. It's bizarre, I know, especially considering the garden space I devote to growing them for my family :lol: I can usually handle tomato sauce depending on how cooked down it tastes vs. how fresh it tastes, but the olives and especially the capers turn it unpalatable for me. I actually love olives for eating straight or in herbed or savory dishes. But combining them with tomato sauce makes it a no-go, and as polite a guest as I'd want to be, I'd have a hard time with it. 

Now, if the options were roast chicken or a curry, or roast chicken or lasagna, roast chicken would surely lose. 

What would you rather be served?  A cut up chicken in a full-flavored sauce (tomato based with olives, capers, etc) or a whole roast chicken?

Both would be well made, so don't let a previously experienced badly prepared version of either color your view.  

Roast chicken is one of my favorite foods, and I don't care for olives.  So, the choice for me would be easy.  

I think olives are a pretty common food for people to dislike.  

• Like 2

Hmm... all good things to consider.  I didn't think that people might not like those flavors.  Maybe I will make the tomato based sauce as a separate dish to serve with gnocchi and roast the chicken. I could put some tapenade under the skin of the chicken and that way if they don't like those flavors they could avoid that. I have some broccoli rabe. And a salad and cheese.  Have ingredients for dessert.  No idea for appetizer...

My big constraint is there is an allergy to all alliums as well as asafoetida, so I was hoping to punch up the flavor with anchovies, capers, olives and such.  Blergh.  Okay, time to make the gnocchi.

Thanks,everyone.

I'm confused.  Is this olive tapenade you'd be putting under the skin of the chicken?  

As one of the olive haters, I'd be disappointed if you put olives on the gnocchi and under the skin of the chicken.  I'd eat them both, and you'd probably not know I was disappointed, but to add the same strong flavor to both foods seems odd.  Just don't put them in the salad as well!

I just ate a roast chicken stuffed with garlic, lemon, thyme and rosemary with a mustard, sherry, butter, shallot, thyme pan sauce for dinner about an hour ago.  Thank you, America's Test Kitchen, for your service to our country and the rest of the world!

I'd pick the roast chicken because I don't like olives.  I eat very intensely flavored and spiced meals from all parts of the globe all the time, but I don't like olives. I love artichoke hearts, capers, and kimchi, pickled beets, brined and picked Korean sesame leaves, pickled jalapenos with carrots, and all sorts of pickles, but I don't like olives.

I like olives and capers, but I wouldn't make it unless I knew the tastesof the guests.

It is not possible to know all the foods that all the guests like or dislike. The best one can do is ask if there are any serious food allergies or dislikes, then prepare the meal you think is best.

• Like 1

I'm just difficult, but I don't like olives and capers or particularly care for gnocchi. I would do my best to eat what I was served. Gotta vote for the roast chicken.

I could put some tapenade under the skin of the chicken and that way if they don't like those flavors they could avoid that

how so? Cut those parts off?

I'm just trying to say that it's hard to avoid food that is not on the side and I think serving sauce on the side is a good idea if you want to keep a sauce. Your meal sounds very fancy and I'd be flattered you did all that.

Edited by heartlikealion

Whew. Several hours, and many more bottles of wine than I thought possible later... I'm very glad that I went with the roast chicken suggestion. As it turns out, the children aren't wild about capers or anchovies. They happily ate several helpings of the gnocchi and took the chicken that hadn't touched the tapenade. I was apprised of their dislike of anchovies and hot pepper before I sautéed the broccoli rabe so was able to do it in two different batches. The kids liked the chocolate soufflé and the parents enjoyed fruit, conversation, and digestive, so it all worked out very well. Oh, and first course after appetizers was a goat cheese timbale. Possibly a weird choice with the rest of the menu, but it was well appreciated.

Thanks again for all of the advice. :)

• Like 3