Menu

Alan Rickman :(

elegantlion

While I was surpirsed it was today, I'm not surprised he suddenly died of something. 

When they announced last year that he and his long time love got married I wondered if one of them had been diagnosed with something.  They had been together for going on 50 years, unmarried.  It obviously worked for them.  To suddenly get married made me think it was a legal/protection type thing in case one of them was sick, making the other the legal responsible party for signing, decisions and all that goes with that, not to mention the whole property/protection/financial acounts after death and all that.   

But so sad.  I loved his voice.  I could listen to him read the phone book.  

I'll never be able to look at a christmas nativity, or a lobster again, without thinking of him.

• Like 4

DD#1 noted the parallels between the age & stated cause of death - Bowie & Rickman.

Was sad to hear it this morning because he was such a talented actor & added so much to the roles he played.

(It didn't hit me as hard as Bowie.) 

DD#1 wants to know what other 69 yr old famous person has cancer since she thinks he or she will be next since "they come in threes."

Lemmy Kilmister (lead singer of Motorhead) died a few weeks ago from cancer. He had just turned 70. Then David Bowie and now Alan Rickman.

It's been a terrible start to the new year.

I'd be happy if Rickman had read the phone book to me.  Does anyone know of any audio books he recorded?

So for all my WTM friends, here is one last Epic Tea Time with Alan Rickman! 

ETA:  This is a youtube video which I think is a legit thing to post, yes?

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 8

DD#1 noted the parallels between the age & stated cause of death - Bowie & Rickman.

Was sad to hear it this morning because he was such a talented actor & added so much to the roles he played.

(It didn't hit me as hard as Bowie.) 

DD#1 wants to know what other 69 yr old famous person has cancer since she thinks he or she will be next since "they come in threes."

Lemmy Kilmister from the band Motorhead died on Dec. 28th from cancer, four days after he turned 70.

ETA: Sorry. Just saw that a couple of people had posted this already.

Edited by DragonFaerie

I'd be happy if Rickman had read the phone book to me. Does anyone know of any audio books he recorded?

So for all my WTM friends, here is one last Epic Tea Time with Alan Rickman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eob7V_WtAVg

ETA: This is a youtube video which I think is a legit thing to post, yes?

His voice and facial expressions are amazing. No matter what role he is in he feels so authentic and real. Him and Tim Curry are two of my favorite actors of all time. Ed Norton and Ralph Fiennes round out the list.

Celine Dion's husband just died of cancer and was in his early 70s.

Yes...I just saw this.  The whole Celine/Rene age thing has always weirded me out.  I mean, she was 12 and he was 38 or 39 when he became her manager.  A little too Woody Allen for me.

Still, she seemed devoted to him, and they have young kids...so I wish her peace.

• Like 2

Yes...I just saw this. The whole Celine/Rene age thing has always weirded me out. I mean, she was 12 and he was 38 or 39 when he became her manager. A little too Woody Allen for me.

Still, she seemed devoted to him, and they have young kids...so I wish her peace.

They creeped me out as well and yet they always seemed genuinely in love. Big age gap and potential for grooming and abuse, but I don't think such things went on. I'm sad for her and her children :(

Brian Bedford also died this week. Not as well known in the U.S. as Bowie or Rickman, he holds a special place in my heart because he was the voice of the Disney animated Robin Hood. I credit that movie with sparking my love for history. 

My husband and son saw him a few years ago when he did The Importance of Being Earnest in NYC. 

He was older (about 80, I believe), but I'm still sad. 

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 2

Brian Bedford also died this week. Not as well knownin the U.S. as Bowie or Rickman, he holds a special place in my heart because he was the voice of the Disney animated Robin Hood. I credit that movie with sparking my love for history.

My husband and son saw him a few years ago when he did The Importance of Being Earnest in NYC.

I didn't even know his name but I love that voice acting. The entire movie, actually, is one of the better voiced Disney features ever made.

Brian Bedford also died this week. Not as well knownin the U.S. as Bowie or Rickman, he holds a special place in my heart because he was the voice of the Disney animated Robin Hood. I credit that movie with sparking my love for history. 

Oh :crying: .  Growing up my sisters and I would come home from school and put our VCR tape of Robin Hood in and watch it, we did this for years.  It got to the point that the tape was breaking down and would fuzz out/skip parts and we could fill in the missing bits from memory.  

I heard a segment, I think on NPR, that said he wasn't interested in the Snape role at first because only the first few books were out and he saw the character as one dimensional. JK herself pulled him aside and after swearing him to secrecy, told him that she had great things in store for Snape. He decided to take it based on that, but he couldn't tell anyone.

• Like 1

I heard a segment, I think on NPR, that said he wasn't interested in the Snape role at first because only the first few books were out and he saw the character as one dimensional. JK herself pulled him aside and after swearing him to secrecy, told him that she had great things in store for Snape. He decided to take it based on that, but he couldn't tell anyone.

And after the first couple of movies she gave him the entirety of Snape's story-line.  He knew Snape's eventual ending before *anyone* else (aside from JK, of course), and often puzzled the directors/cast members with his choice of delivery.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 4

Where did you get Truly, Madly, Deeply?  I've been waiting for years for Netfix to get it.  I see I can buy it from Amazon for $350 now :(

:svengo:  It is one of the best movies ever, but still!  Can you get movies through your library?  I can usually ILL anything if I'm willing to wait a bit...

• Like 1

I know he wouldn't be placed on the same level of artistry as some of the others, but Glenn Frey was part of my life's soundtrack.

I just watched the three hour documentary about the Eagles on Netflix. I like their music, but didn't know much about the band, so it was quite interesting. Not to be morbid, but one would have expected Joe Walsh to be the first to go. His later years of sobriety no doubt saved him.

• Like 1