Menu

What is your reaction to Before/after photos of people progressing toward their fitness goals, Beachbody posts, etc.

Laurie4b

I am just wondering about this. 

I know I like to read articles online with before/after photos of someone who has really improved her health.  But I wonder how people react when you post your before/after photos to friends on FB, etc. 

It seems Beachbody coaches must be supposed to post daily photos of themselves doing their routine. 

If a friend was not a Beachbody coach, and posted before/after photos, would you feel like it was a positive/encouraging thing or do you have a negative reaction? 

What about if a FB friend was not a Beachbody coach and posted before/after photos? Are you happy for her? Encouraged to get going on your own health? Or do you have a negative reaction? 

ETA: this is about friends, people you actually know, posting on FB. My general comment was about reading before/afters in magazines, which seems to have muddied the waters!

Edited by Laurie4b

I told my therapist that this was the one thing I hated about losing weight.  The comments of, "Oh, you look like an entirely different person, you look so GOOD"  Um, did I look absolutely hideous before????  

And I DO NOT like reading the people who say, "I was so miserable and hated myself in this before picture, but now I love myself."  What message is that sending?  Anyone who is overweight isn't worth anything?

• Like 13

I told my therapist that this was the one thing I hated about losing weight.  The comments of, "Oh, you look like an entirely different person, you look so GOOD"  Um, did I look absolutely hideous before????  

And I DO NOT like reading the people who say, "I was so miserable and hated myself in this before picture, but now I love myself."  What message is that sending?  Anyone who is overweight isn't worth anything?

Yes and yes!

I also assume they're going to try to sell me something (saba, beach body, advocare, etc) at some point and they're buttering us up by posting pictures before they move in for the sales pitch. 

• Like 3

Good for her.

I think no other thoughts than this. Someone has accomplished something they are happy about. Good on 'em. It has nothing to do with me.

Edited by OKBud

No. The message it sends is that the person saying this hated the way they looked...did soe difficult stuff...and now love where once they hated.

I told my therapist that this was the one thing I hated about losing weight. The comments of, "Oh, you look like an entirely different person, you look so GOOD" Um, did I look absolutely hideous before????

And I DO NOT like reading the people who say, "I was so miserable and hated myself in this before picture, but now I love myself." What message is that sending? Anyone who is overweight isn't worth anything?

Well um, YES. I feel like that is exactly the message the world is giving. You are an overweight loser.

• Like 1

I like before and after pix and, like others have said, find them inspiring. 

As for coaches and reps of companies being required to post X amount of pix, posts about events or products, etc., I have a friend who is in the fitness biz and is required to post X times a day about her company.

Edited by Angie in VA

I like before and after pix and like others have said, find them inspiring.

As for coaches and reps of companies being required to post X amount of pix, posts about events or products, etc., I have a friend who is in the fitness biz and is required to post X times a day about her company.

I wonder if this is true for a beauty product company as well. My FB feed is starting to look like a R&F catalog. I've got multiple FB friends selling it!

I only know one person who is a Beachbody (trainer? Is that the word? He's a rep)  and he's super nice about it.  I know nothing about Beachbody but this week he posted a video of the shakes he makes and in addition to the Shakeology powder he also adds a spoonful of Jello instant pudding and Jif powdered peanut butter.   I don't know anything about the pb powder but the instant puddling seems like junk food. But the guy is super encouraging without shaming people. 

So I don't mind his posts at all but I have a friend who sells It Works stuff and when she first started it was SO ANNOYING. Constant photos of people who did wraps and posts about their drink mixes and it was just really annoying. Mostly because she'd post that she was looking for a few people to try her products and tell her how they like them...of course they had to buy the products.  But then a glorious day arrived...the day I discovered the hide button on Facebook. g

Anyway...I'm happy for people who have found happiness through better food choices or weight loss. I am annoyed by people who lord it over me when they deem my choices unhealthy. 

The pictures don't bother me- I know they choose certain stances or angles to make their point. It's the accompanying words that sometimes annoy. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

If it's an actual friend, posting about their own progress on their feed and not trying to sell supplements or a progmra or anything, I think it's fantastic. They've worked hard, accomplished something that they're proud of, and are sharing their joy at their accomplishments with their friends. As long as their intended message is about THEMSELVES and not about the readers, I'm thrilled my friends are happy.

If, on the other hand, it's a sales pitch or in any way about people other than themselves, it annoys me. If people have questions for the person about how the achieved their goals and that turns in to a respectful conversation about it, great, but if you're using our friendship to pitch me something or trying to make others feels bad about their bodies, that's not cool.

• Like 1

Well, it depends on whether they're trying to sell me something or not. ;)

I have friends who are posting pictures of her gym/weight loss journeys.  They look happy, and that makes me happy for them.  I am so GLAD that they are taking steps to feel better about themselves and get healthier!  I just want to give them a big hug, because they're doing it all on their own and even when it gets hard to do it because of weather or their schedules.  I admire their dedication.

Good for them. Unless it's a sales pitch, then I click the unfollow button.

What's been happening on my FB feed recently - a friend starts posting nice, exciting updates and pictures about weight loss. Which is great! I'm excited for them. And then after a few weeks or whatever, they start in with the sales pitches. It's almost like they're being trained to lull people into submission now and then start hitting them with the sales pitch. So now I'm skeptical from the start. Between those, the 31 craze, the nails and the various jewelry pitches, FB feels more and more like a commercial.

• Like 1

I only know one person who is a Beachbody (trainer? Is that the word? He's a rep)  and he's super nice about it.  I know nothing about Beachbody but this week he posted a video of the shakes he makes and in addition to the Shakeology powder he also adds a spoonful of Jello instant pudding and Jif powdered peanut butter.   I don't know anything about the pb powder but the instant puddling seems like junk food.

I'm not a Beachbody coach or expert or anything, and I actually strongly dislike MLMs. But I use a lot of Beachbody programs, because to me they're motivating and fun. I have never seen something like Jello instant pudding promoted by Beachbody itself, or in any of their cookbooks or recipes. They promote very clean eating, I don't even know if the stuff in Jif powder is acceptable. I eat natural pb with ingredients of peanuts and salt. I use their cook books and meal plans and I eat eggs, lean meats and fish, veggies, small amounts of good fats, and fruit. So I think it's just the person you know who decided instant pudding is low calorie or something and he'd use that. Shakeology is already sweet enough imo, so I don't know why he wants to add that, yuck.

Edited by Annie Laurie
  • Like 1

What I find annoying are the unrealistic captions that go along with said photos.  

For example:

Before shot:  Here I am weighing in at 245 pounds and wearing a size XXXXL.

After shot: After doing 3 rounds of 21 Day Fix, I lost 65 pounds, weigh 180, and am a fit size 8/M.  My goal is to weigh 150 and be a size zero. Here goes Round 4. 

--

No freaking way.  Unless you are 6 feet tall.

• Like 2

Posting once is fine. I'll cheer you on. Posting a few times a year would be fine. But one friend is posting several times a week--"inspiring" photos of other people, people I don't know and I think people she doesn't know but use the same program. Lots of posts about how great it is to be healthy and she'll be your free health coach if you want to be healthy too. I love reading posts about her family, etc, but I'm really tired of the health posts.

• Like 3

In answer to the OP's question, I like before and after photos. It's definitely true though that photos are manipulated when you see them on the Beachbody website and their promotional material. They light the before pictures differently than the after, with more shadow and dimension in the after, and flatter lighting in the before. I noticed on the Hammer and Chisel material, that the trainers doing the program look even more muscular than they do in the videos, they dodge and burn their muscles in the photos to really make them pop. I've also seen how even a tan can make someone's muscles look more noticeable in an after photo. So you definitely have to keep those photos in perspective. But even more than pictures, I like to hear about how much stronger and energetic they feel, that's motivating for me.

I have a friend that posts pics and yes, she's a Beachbody coach. I didn't know it was like a rule or something to post those photos.

Progress photos are kinda awkward to me. Before/after is different to me than progress pics. I don't care either way, but I personally might not feel comfortable posting certain things.

I don't think she posts daily photos.

In general, happy for someone that posts before/after. I do have a FB friend that got so into fitness they are doing competitions now (like muscular in a bikini) and that's a bit over the top for me. I mean, I'm happy for them. Just don't get the need for bigger muscles.

What is the reason for the question? :) Are you considering doing the coaching stuff or just curious about people's reactions or..?

I am just wondering about this. 

I know I like to read articles online with before/after photos of someone who has really improved her health.  But I wonder how people react when you post your before/after photos to friends on FB, etc. 

It seems Beachbody coaches must be supposed to post daily photos of themselves doing their routine. 

They are trying to encourage other people to send in before/after photos which Beachbody then can use as promotional materials. You get a tee-shirt if you send yours in.

If a friend was not a Beachbody coach, and posted before/after photos, would you feel like it was a positive/encouraging thing or do you have a negative reaction? 

Positive. Whatever gets you healthy, whatever gets you through the night. 

What about if a FB friend was not a Beachbody coach and posted before/after photos? Are you happy for her? Encouraged to get going on your own health? Or do you have a negative reaction? 

Happy. My cousin lost weight this way and she's super motivated. We comment on one another's tone when doing Beachbody programs. I realize it is superficial but at the same time, if you are posting to a healthy, loving community (which in my experience, Beachbody forums are--very much, start where you are at and do what you can) then it can be very healthy.

ETA: this is about friends, people you actually know, posting on FB. My general comment was about reading before/afters in magazines, which seems to have muddied the waters!

I think it can get braggy but so can anything. I don't know anyone IRL who posted photos from an "average" starting point to "amazing". All the people motivated were posting from "unhealthy weight" to "healthy / average" weight or at BEST, looking pretty good for their age.

I noticed on the Hammer and Chisel material, that the trainers doing the program look even more muscular than they do in the videos,

Yep. An ad is an ad. However, I think the before/after photos as you see on the Beachbody forums are a great indication of the changes you can make to your body on a program. I know those motivate me. Especially because you can search by height and age! 

ETA: This is not applied to people selling stuff via Facebook. I am not on FB now but I just ignore that. Don't sell me stuff or post other people. I care about my family and what they are doing to improve their quality and quantity of life, not about a product.

Edited by Tsuga

Meh - I'd love to lose some weight but if I did I won't be sharing photos of it with the world.  I quietly unfollow people who end up entirely focused on their appearance on their FB feed.  If that's your thing, that's fine.  I don't find it super motivating.  I also aspire to enjoy every day and love the body I'm in.  I do my best most days to be active and eat well.  I have some crap genetics and will never be rail thin.  I think there's a bunch we don't know about weight loss, thyroid, hormones, etc etc etc.

• Like 2

We'll, if it's selling something I don't dig it. OTOH, I lost 40+ lbs a couple of years ago doing THM style eating (my profile pic is ooolllld, before that) and did a before/after thing, so clearly I'm into that! I wasn't/am not super skinny, didn't pop pills, and exercised maybe twice. I just changed my food (and didn't even use any complicated ingredients - super simplified).

If it's someone I know, and they've been working at it and just aren't trying to shill me, then yeah, I love it!

Edited by Jennifer Bogart
  • Like 1

A lot depends on the attitude. Some I cheer on. Others I roll my eyes.

This. 

I have posted some, and have friends that had bariatric surgery who post very real, non photo shopped before and after photos that I find encouraging, and I like supporting them. 

I have friends that post very fake before and after photos for products they sell. Those drive me bonkers. Especially when the lighting is obviously different in the skin photos, etc. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

I love the idea of inspiring others, but my FB feed is FULL of all the different pictures and offers and more offers of stuff--Nerium, Advocare, Plexus, R &F...just so over MLM.  I will not support a company that makes its reps pimp out the company.  (31 is the only one one I buy from and they don't let the reps post on a personal FB page, they set up a group and you opt in, according to my director friend.)  I am skeptical--and keep thinking of faith healers and snake oil salesmen and Jimmy Sweigart telling you to put your hands on the TV to be healed.  (Equal opportunity offender...apologies if you are into snake oil and such.)

Following is an actual post from a friend a couple of days ago--pretty sure this is company shtick she C & P....and then they wonder why I keep unfollowing my friends....

"Are you annoyed by all the _______ posts in your Facebook feed??? I want you to think about this. Every time you get annoyed:

Ă¢Å“Â¦ Someone is waking up with less pain.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A mama is feeling healthier and better equipped to take care of her family.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ Someone is celebrating, because of the improved blood work results.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A man has gotten over his skepticism, because he is seeing the results in his health and his family's health.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ So many that were once told medicines would only be their answers are now finding better solutions. 
Ă¢Å“Â¦ Someone is noticing how baggy their clothes are because of inches and weight lost.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ Someone is waking up refreshed, because they are finally getting good sleep at night.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A man and woman are making better food choices, because their cravings are under control.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A person has finally started to exercise, because they are starting to feel better.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ Yet another medical professional or natural health professional is jumping on board, because after extensive research, they understand the validity of these natural products.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A dad addicted to Diet Coke for years is finally free.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A mom with an irregular cycle and painful cramps is finding relief and regularity.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A kid is avoiding frequent illness, because a mama has been proactive about building up their immune function.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A family is paying off debt.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A mom is able to leave her job and finally realize her dream of being a stay-at-home mom.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A month is ending, and there was enough money to pay the bills.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A ministry is being funded, or a favorite charity received a bonus.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ Families' dreams of financial freedom are being achieved.
Ă¢Å“Â¦ A person is giving back because they have received financial blessings, while helping others.

So, I continue to share, because it's changing lives!!! It's changing mine. It's changing the lives of friends. It would be sad to keep this to myself. Who wants to change lives?"

• Like 3

If somebody is attempting to sell a program, I am inclined to be skeptical and tend not to believe the pics are genuine.

If a friend just shares her before/after pictures because she is happy with her success, or feels the accountability helps, I would be supportive and cheer her on.

I do not see why I should have a negative reaction.

ETA: I know two women who have changed their lifestyle and achieved a complete transformation. They lost a ton of weight, permanently. I applaud them. One of them is now some kind of coach helping other women. Her sharing her pictures seems to inspire others: if you know a friend can do it, you may be more inclined to believe you can do it, too.

I personally have no skin in the game since I am not overweight. But I am happy for the friends who have been struggling with their weight and dealing with negative health aspects, who are now fitter and healthier and feeling better in their bodies.

And I am happy for the overweight friends who have embraced their bodies and are fine with the way they look.

Edited by regentrude

No. They are speaking about themselves. There are many reasons why they may have disliked their former overweight selves. If losing weight made them like themselves more, good for them.

• Like 2

If it's once, "Good for him/her for taking care of his/her health."

If it's all the time, I'd think the person should find something more private, like a journal, to record the journey without being dull for everybody else.

If it's a sales pitch, I unfollow.

This is a hot button issue for me. As a fitness professional, it drives me crazy seeing unrealistic (and usually obviously manipulated) before and after pics. They are dangerous. I see many people in the gym striving to mimic results, getting frustrated and often injured. Plus the thought that you aren't beautiful or worthy unless you are a size 2 with six pack abs is so hurtful to self-esteem. How much better to help women see how beautiful they are - whatever size, however many wrinkles, lumps, bumps, etc. Then there is the money involved. Those things cost a boatload! I'm thrilled for those who are helped by these programs. I just wish the focus could be on being healthy and happier with who you are. Ugh and then get the focus off looks and onto living your life! (And I have some friends who sell some of these programs who really do focus on feeling better not just looking better so I know they are out there!)

There is one that drives me nuts. I don't know what the heck they are teaching but all they do is post on their personal page and then tag their teams. I have three friends selling this miracle cream product and I've had to unfollow them because their FB is only sales. So annoying.

Shilling = annoying

I have a friend from high school who's lost over 100 lbs doing Weight Watchers. She has posted continually about her progress and goals. When she got her 100 lb pin, she posted a pic from her first day to her day of WW and one with her pin. Her sister did it with her, and they are training for a triathlon together. She's not selling anything, and she posts this as she would updates on anything else in her life.

I guess I'd say if it's about reaching personal goals for health and fitness, I don't find that obnoxious at all. People digging for compliments or trying to sell me crap? Ignore.

• Like 5

I'm not a Beachbody coach or expert or anything, and I actually strongly dislike MLMs. But I use a lot of Beachbody programs, because to me they're motivating and fun. I have never seen something like Jello instant pudding promoted by Beachbody itself, or in any of their cookbooks or recipes. They promote very clean eating, I don't even know if the stuff in Jif powder is acceptable. I eat natural pb with ingredients of peanuts and salt. I use their cook books and meal plans and I eat eggs, lean meats and fish, veggies, small amounts of good fats, and fruit. So I think it's just the person you know who decided instant pudding is low calorie or something and he'd use that. Shakeology is already sweet enough imo, so I don't know why he wants to add that, yuck.

Yeah, I figured that jello pudding isn't Beachbody approved, but compared to another friend I have who constantly posts that it's wrong to ever eat a bite of anything that's not healthy, he's a breath of fresh air.   

• Like 2

I don't know anything about beachbody but I do love before and afters on weight loss blogs, including my own. It is nice to see how real bodies progress. Hating oneself is quite counterproductive, however.

I think it is great and encouraging when someone has made healthy changes that have healthy effects on their appearance. 

I roll my eyes when they've done something crazy/unhealthy. If they post too much, I may click "see less of this". 

I do find it motivating since I work out at home. When I used to go to the gym frequently, seeing others exercising regularly and getting good results was encouraging. I'd rather do that, but I don't have the extra cash for it right now! I have joined the Facebook page of the workout I like and I enjoy hearing from people.

Emily

I have a friend that posts pics and yes, she's a Beachbody coach. I didn't know it was like a rule or something to post those photos.

Progress photos are kinda awkward to me. Before/after is different to me than progress pics. I don't care either way, but I personally might not feel comfortable posting certain things.

I don't think she posts daily photos.

In general, happy for someone that posts before/after. I do have a FB friend that got so into fitness they are doing competitions now (like muscular in a bikini) and that's a bit over the top for me. I mean, I'm happy for them. Just don't get the need for bigger muscles.

What is the reason for the question? :) Are you considering doing the coaching stuff or just curious about people's reactions or..?

I am not considering Beachbody (but have 2 Beachbody coaches on my FB feed so I am constantly see those posts)  but I am considering a kind of health coaching. I have lost 60 pounds since my max weight which was before my cancer diagnosis almost 5 years ago. People who see me regularly comment how strong I look now. I really like the word "strong."  I have really increased my fitness level and feel better pushing 60 than I have since I was in my 30s. I used to be an athlete and a lot of that is coming back. Our family has a strong history of Alzheimers and right now, pretty much the only thing that neurologists agree on is that vigorous exercise is the best prevention and the only thing that can roll cognitive decline back some. (The drugs merely slow it down by several months.) I would like to help others and am kind of playing around with the idea of a second career maybe as a health coach, maybe in exercise physiology or something. 

I have a "secret" FB group of women friends which is focused on health goals but I wondered if it would be inspiring or obnoxious to post a before and after photo. 

• Like 2