Menu

Bakers? Redsquirrel? I'm watching DH make sweet rolls. And cringing.JAWM

Ginevra

(Hopefully, this doesn't sound too much like a husband-bash.)

So, for Christmas, I made my first-ever batch of homemade orange rolls, thinking to start a tradition, or, more acurately, to continue a tradition from DH's mother. I made the dough Christmas Eve and finished them Christmas morning. They were okay, but I made a mistake with the rising; I did not do the second rise of the rolls in the pan before refrigerating them. On Christmas morning, I had to encourage more rising than normal by setting them in the top oven over a warm bottom oven. Still, they turned out decent, but DH commented on how they were not very fluffy because of the rising mistake.

Again I made them in the new year, because I want to make them splendid, detail-oriented gal that I am. This time, I rose them on a second rise for 90 minutes before refrigeration, and then re-rose them for 1 hr in the morning. These were quite good, but DH still made comments about how they were not as good as his mom's. (His mom, who made them for fifty years. And also has home-field advantage.)

So last night at dinner, DH decides he wants to make Cinnamon rolls today and starts looking for a recipe on-line. (I told him he should use Ree's, but he ignored me.) He didn't make dough last night so I thought perhaps he abandoned his idea. But no. He was merely looking for some sort of quicky short-cut way to do it. :/ He started this morning at 7:45-ish. I said something like, "You're starting now? You know these take hours of rising." He says no they don't, he found a different recipe. He asks me several times if our yeast is "instant" yeast; I tell him I have no idea what instant yeast is. I walk through the kitchen a few minutes later and find him on point of spreading the filling on his dough oval (not rectangle) and exclaim, "What are you doing?" He is not rising the dough. He is "just going to rise the rolls." Great plan. Not really. I also comment on his oval; he claims it is fine. I indicate that the "rolls" on the edge will be tiny blobs of dough; he indicates that he plans to roll it up from the other side (the short way). He also put his butter on melted, not soft.

At this point, I decided to just ignore what he does. But I'm stewing about it, in part because he critiqued my rolls that were a thousand times better than what he is making could possibly be. Also because it is a waste of ingredients. Also because he is going to expect some sort of positive feedback, when he did not take the time to do them even up to the most basic of good standards.

Sorry I am annoyed. It isn't the worst problem a woman could have, but I am annoyed.

• Like 5

I thought most refrigerator rolls were refrigerated before the second rise. Then you remove them, let them rise, and bake. I don't think yours were incorrect. Comparing them to his mom's is rude and discounts your efforts. Sounds like he's taking over the tradition now! Ha!!! It's all in your capable hands, honey.

• Like 10

Wait- he expects positive feedback but pointed out both times that yours weren't as fluffy as they should be? 

Did his mom use a refrigerator method all those years she made hers? My mom never did- but when I do it mine always need more rise time...by a lot.  I know my house is cold, but my fridge must be cold, too. I and put dough in there overnight and it looks almost the same the next day. 

If he wants a recipe he found online I'd point him to King Arthur Flour's website.  I have really good results from their recipes. 

You may as well go out and buy more ingredients- if his do turn out well you might be like I am. I'd have to make a batch to prove to myself that I can do it. 

• Like 3

If my dh tries to do anything in the kitchen, it basically gives me hives.  lol.

But, saying this gently... you haven't even tasted his yet, and it seems you've already heaped lots of criticism on him.  It seems you have both been unreasonably critical rather than generous here.  His won't be as good, and he's learning a lesson about how much time and effort you put into this treat in order to try to adopt one of his family traditions.  I would leave him to it, leave the house if you must, and be polite about the results.  They won't be as good as yours, and that will probably be obvious to everyone, so being critical won't be necessary.  

ETA:  I'm sorry.  I just saw the JAWM tag.  I do agree that DHs in the kitchen is BAD BAD BAD!!!  

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 13

This is one of those times when you just stand back and say, with as much sincerity as you can muster, "Honey, these are great! Thanks for doing this this morning!"  Everyone in your house will know that yours were better. And if they don't know, they will. And if that doesn't happen, YOU will know, and that is enough for now. 

My husband decided to tackle fruit cake this season.  He spent $$$ on good ingredients and then tossed the first one out because he overcooked it.  The second one has been sitting in cheesecloth for at least a month, and I am guessing he's continuing to brush it with rum?  I'm wondering if it's going to be here next Christmas.  I loathe fruitcake, even the idea of it, so I'm not asking.  :glare:   Apparently, he's happy about it--in any event, he's happy that I'm not saying anything!!

• Like 4

I'm still trying to comprehend that someone's DH is baking.  And not only baking, but with yeast.  Mine thinks he's all sorts of special if he scrambles a couple of eggs for his own breakfast!

Yeah me too. 

My husband shocked me a few weeks ago.  He handed me a cooking magazine and told me to pick what looks good and he'd make it for me.  I've know him for 20 years and in all that time he has never cooked anything.

I haven't picked anything yet, but I plan to.

• Like 8

Wait- he expects positive feedback but pointed out both times that yours weren't as fluffy as they should be?

Did his mom use a refrigerator method all those years she made hers? My mom never did- but when I do it mine always need more rise time...by a lot. I know my house is cold, but my fridge must be cold, too. I and put dough in there overnight and it looks almost the same the next day.

If he wants a recipe he found online I'd point him to King Arthur Flour's website. I have really good results from their recipes.

You may as well go out and buy more ingredients- if his do turn out well you might be like I am. I'd have to make a batch to prove to myself that I can do it.

He has a long history of making food in the ADD style and then acting all butt-hurt when I (or the kids) don't like it much or at all.

I don't know if his mom used the refridge method or not, but I know for certain she never would have used cheats like "instant" yeast. She is a farm-girl cook of long tradition and baking was only done with standard ingredients.

When I made the first batch without pre-rising the rolls (which was the second rise), they did look practically the same on Christmas morning when I took them out. I felt that I had arrested the yeast too severely and I thought it might be dead. They did rise after their long lead in the warm oven, but they were not "crowding" each other, which is how I expect them to be.

• Like 1

Yeah me too. 

My husband shocked me a few weeks ago.  He handed me a cooking magazine and told me to pick what looks good and he'd make it for me.  I've know him for 20 years and in all that time he has never cooked anything.

I haven't picked anything yet, but I plan to.

That sounds like a Harlequin romance...something that is super hot, but never EVER happens to me. lol 

• Like 15

I would have removed my baked goods from family hands if someone made disparaging comments, especially comparing them to someone else. I've done it, usually with a light hearted tone, "Well if you don't like it, don't eat it."

I would not make comments while someone is preparing food unless he or she asks. I was called out for it in the past. He was right; if I don't like it done to me, I shouldn't do it back. I would try to say something positive when I eat it. If I'm asked what happened then I'd give feedback.

• Like 8

I'm with ya, Quill.

The only advantage I have is that there is almost nothing his mom cooks better than I do.  Just one thing I can think of:  fried okra.  Not something we have often.   So, I don't get the "not as good as my mom's" comments.

But I do hate it when I don't make something right and he tries to make it himself; this doesn't happen very often as he is too busy to mess around in the kitchen.  Sometimes, his does turn out better even when he wings it.  I really hate that!   I wonder sometimes what life will be like when we are old and retired; I think there is great potential to drive each other insane in the kitchen.

Please update after you've sampled the rolls!

• Like 1

I make some amazing rolls that don't even have yeast. They are quick and easy and fluffy. I can't say they are like my mom's because she never served a cinnamon roll in her life, but if she had, she would have done it with bisquick, just like these. 
Even when I use yeast, I have never put them in the fridge. I think that's just a convenience so that you make them up the night before. 

I like the little nubby ends best  :leaving:

All of that said, I can't even imagine D saying something disparaging about my baking like that. I would be so hurt, and he knows it. Not that anything I cook in any way resembles his mother's. Haha. 

This will be a learning experience. Maybe he will like a quicky way, or maybe he will appreciate your efforts. "Wow, that was way harder than I expected." 

Edited by Desert Strawberry
  • Like 2

Of all the things worth being angry at my DH about, making a huge mess in the kitchen isn't one of them. He'll figure out your right, or, he's food a new recipe. Either way, whatever.

I'm a baker. I've baked a ton. Last night my pizza crust failed. I think my yeast is bad. (I'll find out today since I have some bread going.) No one in my family got mad. We just called it "thin crust"and made do. I'm sure you can find something nice to say.

• Like 2

I'm with ya, Quill.

The only advantage I have is that there is almost nothing his mom cooks better than I do. Just one thing I can think of: fried okra. Not something we have often. So, I don't get the "not as good as my mom's" comments.

But I do hate it when I don't make something right and he tries to make it himself; this doesn't happen very often as he is too busy to mess around in the kitchen. Sometimes, his does turn out better even when he wings it. I really hate that! I wonder sometimes what life will be like when we are old and retired; I think there is great potential to drive each other insane in the kitchen.

Please update after you've sampled the rolls!

Okay, I have to admit, this is pretty funny. Marriage Follies, it should be called.

The rolls are pretty good. Not as good as mine; not as good as his mom's. We just had a longish discussion about all the facets of the roll thing that I said here. I told him I resent him short-cutting it when he was fault-finding with mine. And so on. It's all good. I should have just let him do it however the hell he wanted anyway. The worst that could happen would be for them to be inedible.

But here's where it gets hilarious: He got the recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction, which is precisely where I got the Orange Roll recipe! :lol Can you even believe that? He found a recipe that was "designed" to have one rise only and at the bottom, it is internally linked to the 2-rise Orange Rolls recipe that I made. I still don't know what "instant yeast" is and if that makes any substantive difference. Also, his rolls were not shaped correctly because he didn't roll it out the anal, meticulous way. ;) But, grudgingly, they are good enough for any given Saturday, and it lead to a useful marriage discussion. So it is all good.

ETA: spelling

Edited by Quill
  • Like 22

My husband loves to bake/make desserts and is actually pretty good at it.  That said, he can still annoy the tar out of me when he is in the kitchen.  He likes to monkey with things that have worked just fine in the past.  He also likes to tell me how to make things I've been making for 23 years.  That's usually when I go find something else to do and be thankful he's not cooking meth.  That's so I don't bludgeon him with the rolling pin.

• Like 10

In a cookbook I have, there is a very similar recipe for cinnamon rolls like your DH is making them. They are not bad.

I am impressed your DH even wanted to do this. Mine if he wanted them would be at the store buying them from the bakery.

We are equally frugal. Or cheap. And wouldn't drive out to buy them under any circumstances. It is one thing we have going for our marriage. Our spending/saving philosphy is a good match.

• Like 1

I still don't know what "instant yeast" is and if that makes any substantive difference. 

Instant yeast is the bomb. In the old days we had to dissolve the yeast in warmish milk and let it work for a few minutes before adding it to the other ingredients.  Mom always added a bit of sugar, too.   Now we can just measure yeast and dump it in with other stuff. No worries about killing the yeast because the liquid was too hot, or not activating the yeast because the liquid was too cold. 

• Like 5

Sorry I can't JAWY, I never refrigerate cinnamon roll dough and yeah I've made them like your dh--rolled out oval, just let the rolls rise. I'm not at all perfectionist about it and we all enjoy eating them.

I do, however, understand your irritation after his negative feedback. That was rude and unkind of him and I can see why it is coloring your feelings today. Sending hugs.

• Like 2

I'm still trying to comprehend that someone's DH is baking. And not only baking, but with yeast. Mine thinks he's all sorts of special if he scrambles a couple of eggs for his own breakfast!

Really? My dh makes doughnuts and pies. He'd bake more if he had more time. I only bake bread

• Like 1

I remember making quick cinnamon rolls with a recipe by Kelsey can't remember her last name on Cooking TV.  I think they used baking powder, but it may of been yeast.  I seem to remember them being ready to bake in an hour.

They were OK, but not as good as "normal' ones.

I think my bar for cinnamon rolls is pretty low.  Take any sort of dough....make it flat....and sugar and cinnamon....and then top with cream cheese frosting and I'm happy. :

• Like 3

Annoying!

Funny: I decided to try orange rolls for Christmas for the first time. They weren't fluffy because I also didn't do the second rise before refrigerating them. They were fine and everyone enjoyed them, but I was disappointed.

Maybe I am lucky MIL can't cook, as dh wisely did not say a word beyond "Thanks for making breakfast.' :D

• Like 1

I remember making quick cinnamon rolls with a recipe by Kelsey can't remember her last name on Cooking TV. I think they used baking powder, but it may of been yeast. I seem to remember them being ready to bake in an hour.

I think my bar for cinnamon rolls is pretty low. Take any sort of dough....make it flat....and sugar and cinnamon....and then top with cream cheese frosting and I'm happy. :

:D I really think a lot of it is: cooking and baking is my domain. I don't really want anyone else taking those things over. DH, go fix the shower or excavate the driveway. I promise I won't interfere with either of those things. ;)

• Like 9

:D I really think a lot of it is: cooking and baking is my domain. I don't really want anyone else taking those things over. DH, go fix the shower or excavate the driveway. I promise I won't interfere with either of those things. ;)

Oh this is me exactly.   There are about a billion household things my husband can do that I can't; go do those 'cause I can handle the kitchen stuff.

• Like 1

I cringe sometimes when my dh does weird things in the kitchen, but if I were you I'd leave him to it and go do something else. If they turn out bad, he will realize he did something wrong.

I didn't know what instant yeast was either, but I found this. http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-active-dry-yeast-and-instant-yeast-54252

• Like 1

I remember making quick cinnamon rolls with a recipe by Kelsey can't remember her last name on Cooking TV.  I think they used baking powder, but it may of been yeast.  I seem to remember them being ready to bake in an hour.

I think my bar for cinnamon rolls is pretty low.  Take any sort of dough....make it flat....and sugar and cinnamon....and then top with cream cheese frosting and I'm happy. :

Yes!  You can make cinnamon rolls with homemade biscuit dough.  They're really quick, so it's awesome if you decided when you got up that cinnamon rolls would be just the thing this morning.  That said, I like the yeasted version a little better.  

• Like 3

I have been :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  at some of the comments. 

Dh has done the "not as good as mom's" comment :closedeyes:  and decided he could make something better.   :glare:   When he decided he could make things better I just said "remember to clean everything when done" and left the kitchen and went and sat in my comfortable chair and read a book.   (yeah I was stewing some but decided to call it a break for me). 

Dh's brother is an awesome cook  :drool5:   Dh isn't a cook.  The other day he decided to make brunch for us (I wasn't getting started quick enough). I said "go for it".  He made can biscuits (can),  gravy (packet), (yes I buy the can and packets :leaving: ), sausage, and scrambled eggs.   

I didn't help.  I finished what job I was doing and then went and sat down.  During the meal dh said "I don't know how time it to come out right".  I  started to say something but I just said "thanks for the meal"  I even washed dishes (no dishwasher here).  When I was nearly through washing dh said "I couldn't get up and do the dishes right away.  I needed to take a little break after cooking" :huh:  I couldn't help it then.  I said "yeah I cook all the time, you eat and leave the table and think things clean themselves.  I don't always have time for a "break" after cooking.". I was hoping it would make him think to help a little more after supper. 

• Like 5

I am fortunate that my MIL is not a good cook or baker, so DH has always appreciated my cooking/baking skills.  There are a few things he requested when we were first married that he grew up with, but after a few years he stopped requesting them.  I will surprise him with them once in a while and he likes the nostalgia but it isn't nearly as tasty as he remembers and then he is more appreciative of my meals.

Anyway, I can't watch DH cook.  It drives me batty.  I have to give him the recipe and then leave the kitchen and not watch.  He can come ask for help if he doesn't understand a cooking term or for advice, but I just can't be in the kitchen.  I am horrible at nit picking everything he does, and it isn't fair to him and just puts me in a bad mood.  Funnily I can help the kids with cooking, something that my mom never had patience for.

• Like 1

Lol on update! Glad they turned out well. You are both very brave! I've always wanted to try cinnamon rolls (or orange) from scratch, but I am not a baker, so have never done it :)

Believe me, if he can do it, you can. ;)

• Like 1

Mom's orange rolls reminds me of dh's favorite dish that his mom makes. I asked her for the recipe, which came in the form of "add such and such until it looks right" and other helpful instructions. When I told dh that I got the recipe, he said, "don't make it if you're not going to make it right."

So I didn't.

He hasn't had that meal in a decade. I still have the recipe, and occasionally I'm even tempted to give it a shot, but I haven't forgotten those words yet.

• Like 3

I do empathize with you...but just as a side note, it does NOT make ones' MIL happy to have her son say to you -- YOUR cinnamon rolls are so much better than my mom's ;)  I have always wondered how in the world she always had fresh cinnamon rolls around 7am in the morning without being up insanely early (because she never did anything at night, and like you, I know good sweet rolls take time). I learned the secret this year...she uses BRIDGEFORD BREAD from the freezer section!  So, she just thaws the breadough, rolls out the dough around 0530am, fills and rolls them up/cuts/rises and bakes and POOF!  Cinnamon rolls by 0700!  But...of course...there is no sane reason mine could be better than bridgeford bread!

Edited by LisaK in VA is in IT
  • Like 1

Mom's orange rolls reminds me of dh's favorite dish that his mom makes. I asked her for the recipe, which came in the form of "add such and such until it looks right" and other helpful instructions. When I told dh that I got the recipe, he said, "don't make it if you're not going to make it right."

So I didn't.

He hasn't had that meal in a decade. I still have the recipe, and occasionally I'm even tempted to give it a shot, but I haven't forgotten those words yet.

:sad:

• Like 2

(Hopefully, this doesn't sound too much like a husband-bash.)

So, for Christmas, I made my first-ever batch of homemade orange rolls, thinking to start a tradition, or, more acurately, to continue a tradition from DH's mother. I made the dough Christmas Eve and finished them Christmas morning. They were okay, but I made a mistake with the rising; I did not do the second rise of the rolls in the pan before refrigerating them. On Christmas morning, I had to encourage more rising than normal by setting them in the top oven over a warm bottom oven. Still, they turned out decent, but DH commented on how they were not very fluffy because of the rising mistake.

Again I made them in the new year, because I want to make them splendid, detail-oriented gal that I am. This time, I rose them on a second rise for 90 minutes before refrigeration, and then re-rose them for 1 hr in the morning. These were quite good, but DH still made comments about how they were not as good as his mom's. (His mom, who made them for fifty years. And also has home-field advantage.)

So last night at dinner, DH decides he wants to make Cinnamon rolls today and starts looking for a recipe on-line. (I told him he should use Ree's, but he ignored me.) He didn't make dough last night so I thought perhaps he abandoned his idea. But no. He was merely looking for some sort of quicky short-cut way to do it. :/ He started this morning at 7:45-ish. I said something like, "You're starting now? You know these take hours of rising." He says no they don't, he found a different recipe. He asks me several times if our yeast is "instant" yeast; I tell him I have no idea what instant yeast is. I walk through the kitchen a few minutes later and find him on point of spreading the filling on his dough oval (not rectangle) and exclaim, "What are you doing?" He is not rising the dough. He is "just going to rise the rolls." Great plan. Not really. I also comment on his oval; he claims it is fine. I indicate that the "rolls" on the edge will be tiny blobs of dough; he indicates that he plans to roll it up from the other side (the short way). He also put his butter on melted, not soft.

At this point, I decided to just ignore what he does. But I'm stewing about it, in part because he critiqued my rolls that were a thousand times better than what he is making could possibly be. Also because it is a waste of ingredients. Also because he is going to expect some sort of positive feedback, when he did not take the time to do them even up to the most basic of good standards.

Sorry I am annoyed. It isn't the worst problem a woman could have, but I am annoyed.

Oh. Mah. Gawd.

I would be DYING.  But, my dh wouldn't be left standing if his reaction to homemade cinnamon rolls was to critique about them, so you are already a paragon of virtue.

Buttery sweet dough is very difficult to get 'fluffy'.  The dough is heavy and tricky.  It just is.  It drives me crazy! It takes a lot of work to get that super soft and fluffy texture...and often some dough conditioner.  You can check out stuff like that at King Arthur.  I am not above using some extra 'help' in my baking. I absolutely have some of their 'buttery sweet flavour' in the house for such things.

I have heard that Alton Brown's overnight cinnamon rolls are a very dependable recipe. I haven't made them though. But I hear raves, absolute raves.  I haven't made them due to sheer laziness and the fact that I would have to make them all the time, lol. I know my kids.

http://altonbrown.com/overnight-cinnamon-rolls-recipe/

Here is video:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-cinnamon-rolls-recipe/overnight-cinnamon-rolls-0133415.html

DH, before he was my dh, once watched in slack jaw horror as his roommate decided he had a lot of extra cheese in the house so he was going to make a "cheese cake".  He had mozzarella and cheddar cheese. He added eggs and milk and sugar to a bunch of grated cheese and put it in the oven.  There might have been some flour in there. I tried to tell him that a cheese cake is really just a baked custard and doesn't have those sorts of things in them, but he literally laughed in my face.  So, we left when he put it in the oven.  I am pretty sure he had to throw the pan out because it made a blackened mess that boiled over and spilled all over the oven.

I should add that he wasn't drunk or high when this happened. He planned it out and got sugar and eggs for the job. This took time and effort.

ETA: I notice on AB's website the recipe calls for 'rapid rise' yeast and the video calls for instant yeast AND he specifically says he doesn't like rapid rise for that recipe.  The website is newer than the video, so he might have changed his mind...but I suspect that either will work perfectly well.  I don't like rapid ride myself and never use it.  I keep a pound of instant yeast in the house and that is what I use all the time. I don't really worry what the recipe calls for and it doesn't seem to matter. But, maybe I have just been lucky so far...for years and years, lol.

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 3

Oh. Mah. Gawd.

I would be DYING. But, my dh wouldn't be left standing if his reaction to homemade cinnamon rolls was to critique about them, so you are already a paragon of virtue.

Buttery sweet dough is very difficult to get 'fluffy'. The dough is heavy and tricky. It just is. It drives me crazy! It takes a lot of work to get that super soft and fluffy texture...and often some dough conditioner. You can check out stuff like that at King Arthur. I am not above using some extra 'help' in my baking. I absolutely have some of their 'buttery sweet flavour' in the house for such things.

I have heard that Alton Brown's overnight cinnamon rolls are a very dependable recipe. I haven't made them though. But I hear raves, absolute raves. I haven't made them due to sheer laziness and the fact that I would have to make them all the time, lol. I know my kids.

http://altonbrown.com/overnight-cinnamon-rolls-recipe/

Here is video:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-cinnamon-rolls-recipe/overnight-cinnamon-rolls-0133415.html

DH, before he was my dh, once watched in slack jaw horror as his roommate decided he had a lot of extra cheese in the house so he was going to make a "cheese cake". He had mozzarella and cheddar cheese. He added eggs and milk and sugar to a bunch of grated cheese and put it in the oven. There might have been some flour in there. I tried to tell him that a cheese cake is really just a baked custard and doesn't have those sorts of things in them, but he literally laughed in my face. So, we left when he put it in the oven. I am pretty sure he had to throw the pan out because it made a blackened mess that boiled over and spilled all over the oven.

I should add that he wasn't drunk or high when this happened. He planned it out and got sugar and eggs for the job. This took time and effort.

ETA: I notice on AB's website the recipe calls for 'rapid rise' yeast and the video calls for instant yeast AND he specifically says he doesn't like rapid rise for that recipe. The website is newer than the video, so he might have changed his mind...but I suspect that either will work perfectly well. I don't like rapid ride myself and never use it. I keep a pound of instant yeast in the house and that is what I use all the time. I don't really worry what the recipe calls for and it doesn't seem to matter. But, maybe I have just been lucky so far...for years and years, lol.

Thank you for the links! And, I really dig Alton Brown. And...cheesecake from mozerella and cheddar...ummmm, not so much. :D