Menu

Cookie exchange blues (wistful whine)

marbel

I've been invited to a cookie exchange.  Bring 5 dozen, take home 5 dozen! 

I don't want to bake or bring home 5 dozen cookies.  But the hostess (politely, but firmly) redirected me from my idea of coming to hang out with her and the others without bringing or taking home the cookies.   She basically said that 5 dozen cookies is not that much to bake and I'll be happy to bring all those cookies home with me.  

Most likely I will never host a cookie exchange but if I do, I think I'll say 3 dozen, and make the exchange optional anyway.

Who's with me?

• Like 2

Honestly, if you are not wanted for your company, I can't imagine why you would be wanted for your cookies. It seems rather strictly structured for a social activity.

Nobody should care if 5 dozen is 'a lot' or 'a few' cookies in your world -- much less presume to dictate to you that you ought to become happy with an abundance of cookies (that you clearly don't want). How hard is it for some people to aknowledge that their own preferences apply to their own life, and others aren't usually telling lies if they mention a different preference?

Gah! (I feel for you.)

• Like 7

Well, I could and probably should have declined. But I really like the people who are going to be there, including the hostess!  But yeah, it is a little rigid.  Maybe she's afraid I'll try to  make off with someone's 5 dozen without contributing any. :lol:

But I guess I am off to find the easiest possible 5-dozen cookie recipe!  :-)

I wouldn't want to bake them or bring them home. But I would go to a nice bakery and buy some.

Then I would gift the cookies I come home with to some of my neighbors or something. I would find a way to give them away or throw them away. I don't need to be tempted to eat that many cookies!!!

But I might go for the fellowship with friends.

I've seen cookie exchanges where everyone brings cookies to share but also brings copies of the recipe for everyone. Then you go home with several new recipe cards to add to your stash. I think I would prefer an exchange like that.

• Like 2

If it were me, I'd let you come and socialize but, at our family baking events, baking is optional for the elderly only. Older kids are allowed to watch the three ovens at work and holler when a new batch is due to go in/come out. Non-participants get in the way when there's that much baking/prep going on. Also, IMHO, store-bought cookies are nasty--old, dry or underbaked (there seems to be no middle ground there), flavorless (because shortening is cheap), and unimaginative. I would be sorely disappointed if I handed over a big batch of my best cookies and got that in return, however lovely the company.

• Like 5

I like cookie exchanges because you get an instant variety to serve your guests.

That's really the point of it, although it is social also.

I think that if something is structured that way you have to go along with it or stay home.  It's just the nature of that kind of get together.  Like you shouldn't join a book club if you hate to read, even if you like all the people. 

• Like 12

I love cookie exchanges. Most of the ones I've been to or hosted have been for six dozen. Takes me about two hours to make them. And then after they cool, bag them up. Usually, six cookies per bag. It's just plain easier for the group if everyone brings the same amount, in the same format ( x number in x number of ziplocs). If you don't want to participate, than decline the invitation.

• Like 5

My friend has on every year but it is much more low key than what you've described. I think she usually requests about 5-6 dozen but she wouldn't care if you came without and we leave them on the counter to try and snack on and then when you leave you exchange some of yours for other types. The only issue with that is people who leave earlier can be kind of greedy and not leave much for those who leave later on but it doesn't bother me since I don't want a bunch of them at home anyway. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I love cookie exchanges. Most of the ones I've been to or hosted have been for six dozen. Takes me about two hours to make them. And then after they cool, bag them up. Usually, six cookies per bag. It's just plain easier for the group if everyone brings the same amount, in the same format ( x number in x number of ziplocs). If you don't want to participate, than decline the invitation.

I like them too, and that's how we've always done them. And 5 dozen is 20 minutes more work than 3 dozen, really. But honestly, if someone didn't want to bake and didn't care to take any cookies, to basically tell them they're not invited to come and hang out with friends is kinda harsh :(

Marbel, this sounds like a job for "no-bake chocolate oatmeal crack"!

http://www.food.com/recipe/no-bake-chocolate-oatmeal-cookies-23821

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 4

I like them too, and that's how we've always done them. And 5 dozen is 20 minutes more work than 3 dozen, really. But honestly, if someone didn't want to bake and didn't care to take any cookies, to basically tell them they're not invited to come and hang out with friends is kinda harsh :(

Marbel, this sounds like a job for "no-bake chocolate oatmeal crack"!

http://www.food.com/recipe/no-bake-chocolate-oatmeal-cookies-23821

I'd agree that it's harsh.......... I go to 2-3 cookie exchanges every Christmas season and have never seen someone show up and not participate in the main activity so I do find it a bit weird to want to attend but not participate in the main purpose of the activity. I host one about every two years and have never had someone ask if they could come without cookies. Most people who are invited do come, with cookies.

• Like 2

IMHO, store-bought cookies are nasty--old, dry or underbaked (there seems to be no middle ground there), flavorless (because shortening is cheap), and unimaginative. I would be sorely disappointed if I handed over a big batch of my best cookies and got that in return, however lovely the company.

You're not shopping at the right stores. :) Whole Foods baked goods, mmm....

• Like 2

Or 1 and 1/2 batches of Peanut Butter Kisses?

Peanut Butter Kisses

Peanut Butter Kisses

2 cups peanut butter (18 oz. jar)

1 ¼ c. sugar

2 eggs, beaten

48 (approximately) Hershey Kisses, unwrapped

By hand, with a wooden spoon, mix together peanut butter, sugar and eggs until well combined.

Roll dough into small balls or use a small cookie scoop.

Bake at 350F for 14 – 16 minutes. Tops of cookies will appear dry and crackled.

Remove from oven and immediately press on Kiss into the top of each cookie. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.

Can make without Kisses. Before baking, use fork to make crisscross patterns in cookies. Bake as above.

Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.

• Like 2

But I guess I am off to find the easiest possible 5-dozen cookie recipe!  :-)

Buy a bag of pretzels, buy a couple of bags of rolos, buy a bag of pecan halves or Christmas M&M's.

Spread out pretzels, place an unwrapped rolos on each one.  Bake for a few mintues at low temp till just slightly melted.  Remove from oven and press M&M's or pecan halves onto top of rolo.

• Like 5

You can give them away as gifts!

I make... easily 30 dozen cookies every year, it is prob more, and I give them all away. There is not a cookie left when Christmas is done. I don't even like cookies, lol.  But just divide them up into bags with one dozen cookies each. Then put the bags in the freezer. You can hand them out to friends when you see them and they will be happy!

For friends I give a dozen or two cookies and a bottle of wine. No complaints so far, lol.

But, really, if you are ok making 3 dozen cookies, its not exactly a huge leap to make 5 dozen.  Just don't make cut out or sandwich cookies or anything fiddley.  Make a molasses crinkle, they are quick, delicious and freeze like a dream.

I have never heard of someone bringing store bought cookies to a cookie exchange! That would scandalize me  :svengo: :lol:

• Like 6

I am TOTALLY with you!  I meet with a group once a week, and someone mentioned a Christmas cookie exchange.  I don't want to make cookies, and I don't want to eat them either.  And if I was going to take the time to bake, my family wants MY cookies, not someone else's!  (Sorry, but that's true!)

I'm thinking I can go socialize only, no rules otherwise yet.  But some of the ideas posted above are good and special--and I'm thinking perhaps I'll make some for my own family, haha.

• Like 1

I agree with you, marbel. I've been to cookie exchanges and I've hosted one. When I hosted one, I put something on the invitation to the effect of "if you don't want to exchange cookies, please come join us for the food and fellowship." My main purpose of the thing was to spend some time with friends. I realize that not everyone wants to make or eat cookies, but I still wanted to spend time with them. Most ladies brought cookies, but a couple didn't. It was still a fun afternoon.

I can't eat gluten now, so I would politely tell the hostess that I would love to come, but wouldn't be bringing or taking any cookies. If she didn't want me to come under those conditions, I might rethink the friendship.

• Like 2

I think I would be a little put out being told to bring cookies or else no matter how politely it was said. But that may just be me. Cookie exchanges are not my kind of thing so I don't know the politics involved.

That said, my go to easy cookie recipe:

Chocolate Chip meringue:

Preheat oven to 325

2 egg whites

1 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 bag chocolate chips

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add sugar 2 tbls at a time.

Add vanilla.

Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoonful onto cookie sheets. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden.

They don't spread so you can fit a lot on a pan.

• Like 2

I have a small house. I can love you while still want the limited space of my house to go to people who want to swap cookies or whatever.

MrsWeasley! It's good to see you around the forum. I was just thinking about you the other day and was hoping you were well.

:grouphug:

Edited by Arctic Mama

My first thought was that the hostess was mean and I'd let you come hang out anyway. But then I remembered that we turned a friend away from Pie Club membership because she wanted to make it a dessert club and bring cookies or something. Nope. Host homes were only so big and those slots are taken by true pie believers. We socialize with the "dessert lady" at other times, but not during Pie Club.

You should host a mom's night in on a different night!

ETA: I don't think 5 dozen cookies is a lot if you make normal sized cookies and not enormous coffee shop sized cookies.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 8

It seems to me that it is a cookie exchange. It has a purpose besides just socializing. So if you don't want to do that, don't go. And invite people over to your house just for socializing.

This. I don't get what's "harsh" or "rigid" about asking people to bring cookies to a cookie exchange.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 8

LOL, I wasn't expecting recipes - thanks!

I really meant for this to be a bit tongue-in-cheek.  Sorry I didn't make that clear.  I agree that people can invite folks over for a purpose and if people don't like the purpose, they can stay home.  I also think, though, that at this time of year when people are busy and can't necessarily attend/host multiple gatherings with the same people, saying "bring cookies or stay home" is getting close to harsh.  Maybe I should have offered to bring wine instead of cookies, but of course still go home empty-handed.  :-) 

I will make nice cookies, and I will go have a good time.  I'll deal with the cookies I bring home however seems best at the time.  :-)

My kids do like cookies, but they are far too busy to bake this week. 

• Like 3

Surely your friend will understand if you decline the invitation altogether for the simple reason that you don't want to do the cookie part of the gathering. Invite her over, and maybe some other friends, for coffee and dessert another time. I wouldn't bake 5 dozen just because a friend expected it. That just doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 2

I agree it is a bummer the hostess is being so strict about it. I, on the other hand, wish I would get invited to one or be able to find enough friends who like cookies/baking to have one. Most of my friends are too busy to bake, don't like to bake, are doing no gluten or no sugar, on a diet, or... etc...so I am not sure I could even find a reasonable number of people to actually exchange cookies!

• Like 1

While I see the fun of cookie exchanges, there is no way I want an extra 5 dozen cookies around the house at Christmas. If we did this, the cookies would end up in the lounge at hubby's work (as did much of the halloween candy). Maybe 2 dozen and you get half a dozen each of four kinds? 

I've actually been looking for baking ideas that aren't sweet for the holidays, such as roasting chestnuts and making red and green pepper salsa.

Emily (watching her waistline and already eating waaaaay too many sweets)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bring store bought cookies to a cookie exchange.  That's not polite.  If you don't want to do home baked cookies to exchange with other people then just don't go.  I'm guess I'm missing why this is even a discussion point.  The purpose of cookie exchanges are so you can have a beautiful tray of a dozen different types of cookies without making a dozen different types.  It is fun but it's a bigger thing than just a social event. 

The store bought thing really bothers me I guess.  It just seems a little passive aggressive to do to your friends.  Kind of like,  "I love you guys and I wanted to spend quality time with you BUT I didn't want to follow the rules of the activity so I just brought some mediocre store bought cookies to trade for you grandmother's favorite hard to make cookie."  :confused1: 

• Like 2