Menu

I'm really angry about my neighbor

Moxie

This is another dog vent.

My neighbor is still letting her dogs out every morning. She is *shocked* every time I mention that they are pooping in my yard. She swears they try to keep them in their own yard (this is BS the dogs are all over the neighborhood).

Earlier this week I did her a huge favor. She went on and on about how much she owed me.

Yesterday, I watched out the window as her dog pooped in my front yard. She was outside and saw it and yelled at the dog to stop. But, she did not come to pick up the poo!!!

I'm getting really angry. I want to maintain a good relationship for many reasons and I go out if my way to do so. But having my yard used as the toilet for two dogs is really making me angry. And the only thing I can do is escalate the situation but I really don't want to go there.

I am really tempted to get them picked up by animal control but I don't want to do that to her kids.

I would probably pick it up and leave it on her doorstep, every time. Not that I would start with that, but if she's not listening and it seems like overkill to call animal control, I would feel like returning her property, so to speak.

But take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm not a dog person at all so there's probably some better way to handle it.

• Like 11

I have the same kind of neighbors. People who don't think anything about letting their dogs crap in other people's lawn. They have at least 5-7 dogs and are too lazy to take them out on leashes; they just let them all out at once. They think since we live in an ultra small town that the leash laws don't matter. Gotta love 'em. (NOT)

I would knock on her door, hand her a shovel, and tell her she needs to pick up the poop. Maybe print out a brochure for a radio fence.

But I also agree with the PP that if you call animal control, you shouldn't feel like YOU are the one doing something wrong. SHE is the one who is letting them run loose. Don't take responsibility for her actions. She is the one putting you in this situation.

• Like 10

I feel for you.  Our dog ate another cat poop while I had him out in the yard this morning.  Needless to say it's the neighbors cat that is pooping in my yard.  She believes in letting a cat "be a cat" so he roams free and poops all over the place.  I'm waiting for him to die, which is sad because I love animals.  The old neighbor behind us used to pitch their dog poop over the fence when they "cleaned" their yard, until DH started pitching it back over the fence when they were standing there.  :D We did not have a dog at the time, so it wasn't ours.  I was glad when they moved.

• Like 9

Before taking more complex measures, just ask her.

"Hey sweetie, your dog pooped in my yard.  Do you think you could clean it up?  I don't want my kids to step in it and track it through the house!  Thanks!  
Hey, how is your mom doing?  I loved that bean dip recipe she gave me!"

If needed, you could invest in a roll of those little bags designed for poop.

"I have one of those little bags if you need one - here you go!"  They're on sale this week at the grocery store.  Thanks again - my kids never look where they're stepping! <smile>"

• Like 10

If you get one of those tennis ball thrower things, you can deliver the poo to her house without leaving the scene of the crime

:-). Alternatively you can put out a bowl of blue water with a skull and crossbones on it in your yard and see if she gets paranoid enough to corral her dogs. Asking nicely hasn't worked. Time for poo launching and psychological warfare.

• Like 10

I would call her every time. "Hey Neighbor, just saw your dog pooping on my lawn. Can you come over and pick it up? Thanks!" said in a super cheerful voice. I would try to keep the phone call super, duper short. If she texts, even better. Basically, the goal would be to very nicely tell her every single time. I would never phrase it as a question as to whether or not it was her dog. Just state it as a fact, ask her to pick it up, move on.

If I was feeling cheeky I might say something about seeing her yell at her dog about it. 

• Like 11

My answer is to always call animal control if you have a problem with a dog always been loose. (I'm not talking about once in a while, or occasional opps here.)

IF you don't have animal control, or there is no animal control, and I lived in the country, and the other options weren't working I would, "shot, shovel, and shut-up".  (Okay, I wouldn't do it. But I would get someone else to do it for me)

I would walk over to her house and tell her that she has no right to let her dog poop in my yard and I would appreciate it if she would keep her dog in her own yard and on the few instances when it accidentally gets out I would appreciate it if she would come pick it up immediately so that it's not my problem since it's not my responsibility anyway.

I would walk over to her house and tell her that she has no right to let her dog poop in my yard and I would appreciate it if she would keep her dog in her own yard and on the few instances when it accidentally gets out I would appreciate it if she would come pick it up immediately so that it's not my problem since it's not my responsibility anyway.

But, you see my problem, right? I want to preserve the relationship for many reasons so I can't do this. And throwing it back won't bother them because they just mow over it. Mostly I can just cross my fingers and hope that the dumb dogs die soon, as sad as that is. Most likely they will just get more dogs. Ugh.

But, you see my problem, right? I want to preserve the relationship for many reasons so I can't do this. And throwing it back won't bother them because they just mow over it. Mostly I can just cross my fingers and hope that the dumb dogs die soon, as sad as that is. Most likely they will just get more dogs. Ugh.

Well the doorstep takes care of the mower problem.

Just curious why you are so interested in maintaining the relationship if she doesn't seem to give a...(dog) poop.

• Like 6

You could word it more politely than I did. They don't seem to respect you. I wouldn't consider it a relationship worth saving (with my obviously narrow view of these people).

You could also go to petsmart and buy something to spray your yard with that will keep the dog away.

• Like 2

Call her and tell her to come pick it up. Take a picture of her dog pooping if you have to. That is crazy. I have a friend who does the same thing and thinks nothing of it. I told her it is not ok to let your dog roam. She was kind of shocked when I was that blunt, but come on, people, do not let your dog roam in a neighborhood. 

• Like 1

Tbh though a strategy to deter the dog will probably work best. Our escapee dog (beagle). Used to go to the neighbours. They loved her so would feed and play with her. It was basically impossible to teach her neighbours not to go.

You might not be able to teach the neighbours to contain the dogs but you might be able to teach the dog that your lawn is not a cool place to poop. Water spray works for some of just a big growly voice.

• Like 3

I would call her every time. "Hey Neighbor, just saw your dog pooping on my lawn. Can you come over and pick it up? Thanks!" said in a super cheerful voice. I would try to keep the phone call super, duper short. If she texts, even better. Basically, the goal would be to very nicely tell her every single time. I would never phrase it as a question as to whether or not it was her dog. Just state it as a fact, ask her to pick it up, move on.

If I was feeling cheeky I might say something about seeing her yell at her dog about it.

I agree with this.

Don't ask. Proceed as if *of course* she's going to pick up after her dog. Go out there every time. "You forgot to clean up."

Have you clearly said "your dog can not poop in my yard anymore" ?

• Like 5

I have a neighbor who does the same thing. They let their dog out of their front area to roam and use the bathroom wherever it wants. Unfortunately, where it wants is my house. It stops and pees on my Jeep first and then craps in two or three different places in my front yard. I have confronted the guy and he laughed at me and told me he has no control over his dog. Now, they let the dog out when they know we won't be paying attention.

I called housing (we live on a military base) and they said they can't do anything about it. They told me to call the base police when it happens, but that just seems silly. By the time they get out here, the dog would be back in the house.

I feel for you. I would be livid about someone deliberately or--let's be honest--even inadvertently letting their animals poop on my lawn. That said, I'm not sure what kind of help you're looking for in the thread. Politely confronting the neighbor and firmly telling her what action you want her to take should not destroy a relationship that is worth having. (I'm assuming, of course, that she feels the relationship is worth preserving as well.) I'd tell her flat out that she needs to keep the dogs off the lawn and promptly pick up any poop they leave. Otherwise, tell her you're going to be forced to contact animal control because you're tired of the kids stepping in her animals' mess. Then the ball (and the relationship) are in her court. Your only other choice as I see it is doing what others have already suggested--sprinkler, putting the mess on her steps, etc.. Or you learn to live with it and quietly clean up the mess yourself because, as you said, she's probably going to get more dogs later. Learning to live with it wouldn't be my choice. But if you can't up your response because of the relationship, you're kind of stuck. I'm really sorry you're dealing with this situation. Neighbors can sometimes be total jerks.

• Like 1

You have every right to be angry; I am absolutely not saying that.  Neighbor's dog, neighbor's responsibility, end of story.  BUT, I am going to suggest that you choose not to be angry.  It is dog poop; it is messy if you step in it and, depending on where it is deposited, quite possibly unattractive, but it is extremely unlikely to be harmful.  It will wash away in the next rain.  Perhaps I'm calloused from years of having dogs, but I do find other dogs' waste in my yard from time to time, and it doesn't bother me one whit.  It's part of the price I pay for living in a neighborhood full of mostly lovely people who keep their homes and lawns in tip-top shape so that we all look better.  It would be awesome if the neighbor walked her dog on a leash or ran around after him with a pooper-scooper or little baggies, and I love the suggestions others have made about offering to keep them nearby or maybe even stashing a pooper-scooper behind a tree for her convenience.  But, in the end, people are unlikely to change, and I know from experience that it can be a real PITA to have an enemy for a neighbor.

• Like 1

I have a neighbor who does the same thing. They let their dog out of their front area to roam and use the bathroom wherever it wants. Unfortunately, where it wants is my house. It stops and pees on my Jeep first and then craps in two or three different places in my front yard. I have confronted the guy and he laughed at me and told me he has no control over his dog. Now, they let the dog out when they know we won't be paying attention.

I called housing (we live on a military base) and they said they can't do anything about it. They told me to call the base police when it happens, but that just seems silly. By the time they get out here, the dog would be back in the house.

Since you've tried everything else, I would capture the dog (I'm assuming this is a pet, and not aggressive) and then take it to the pound as a "found stray".  Maybe it costing a bunch of money to get the dog back will make the family think twice.

We had the same issue at our old house.  Before mowing the lawn, we would have to walk the yard to make sure there weren't any piles left by the neighbor's dog.  We would flick the piles back into their yard with a shovel.  We weren't about to grab a bag, place the poop into the bag, and dispose of the bag - we don't own a dog, that isn't what we signed up for.

I actually did the same thing with cigarette butts.  Our neighbor would fling butts out his car window (I witnessed it) and several times a week one would land either in our driveway or at our curb somewhere along the length of our yard.  I would place them back on his driveway.  

Come on - is it really so hard to dispose of your own crap????  (pun intended  :lol: )

• Like 1

spread dog deterrent on your lawn-- there are things you can get that will make it unpleasant for the dog to be in your yard (pepper, for instance)

No joke, where do I buy large quantities (gallons?) of pepper? I'd love a reverse invisible fence! Sprinklers won't work because of many children in the yard. That is also why I won't then the poo back at them--my kids play in their yard with their kids.

Well, I have been blasted for this before but cayenne pepper is the best, but it does cause pain for the dog's nose for a while--- I would do some research for the best options, and make a trip to costco ---
here are some other ideas in a Google search

https://www.google.com/search?q=cayenne+for+dog+deterrent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-make-homemade-dog-repellent.htm

Moxie, when you saw the dog squatting, and you said (iirc) she was out there, why didn't you go right outside then? 

<smiling> "Oh hey, Sally, SEE, it IS poop from your dog! Now what can we do to keep this from happening again?"

Or, pick up your phone and get it on video. Again, talk to her with a smile as you present your incontrovertible evidence.

As someone noted above, you can have this discussion and still work towards a good relationship. If my fly is unzipped or I have a booger on my face, the best friends are the ones who let me know so I won't be embarrassed. Your conversation with her could include, "I just think it's important to talk with you about this because I've heard that some of the neighbors want to call the pound and have your dogs picked up. Can't let that happen, can we?!"

I do feel your pain, I have been in similar situations and wished I could wish 'em away, but that rarely happens. I encourage you to thoughtfully engage in conversation. Good fences make good neighbors, y'know? Try to approach it as solving the problem together (once you catch 'em in the act so you can move past the denial phase).