Menu

Usborne books - am I missing something?

Southern Ivy

I have a lot of friends who love Usborne books and currently have a friend who is having an Usborne party; so I'm looking through the online catalog. I have to admit, though, I can't really see that there is anything much better than the books I'm looking at on Amazon for my daughter. 

Am I missing something? Is it just a name recognition thing or is there something that is that much better? 
Because right now, I'm leaning towards Amazon. I can get 3 books I want for just $10 over what it will cost me for one of the Usborne books. 

No, you're not missing anything. Imo, they are busy with lots of information but little depth.  They cover a lot topically. They are expensive because of their multi-level marketing.  In 15 years of hsing, I think I bought one Usborne book early on, and that was used.  My kids much, much, much preferred "living books."  I'd go with what you found on amazon.

• Like 3

I just recently realized that Usborne books are multi-level marketing. I don't know if this is fair or not, but the whole concept of multi-level marketing turns me off thoroughly. I actually do like the Usborne books we have. I got a couple used and gifted, and the one time I bought one new I endured so much harassment about coming to a "party" that it made me never want to buy one new again. 

I just recently realized that Usborne books are multi-level marketing. I don't know if this is fair or not, but the whole concept of multi-level marketing turns me off thoroughly. I actually do like the Usborne books we have. I got a couple used and gifted, and the one time I bought one new I endured so much harassment about coming to a "party" that it made me never want to buy one new again. 

Yeah, my friend is hosting an online party with a friend. Online is so much better. Less commitment.  :leaving: 

I think I will "go" to give her some online company, but I just ordered my 3 books on Amazon. That part of the Christmas budget is gone, now. Whoopsie.  ;)

• Like 1

I'll be the lone dissenter. I like them. And I don't mind spending money on books that will last through all my children. Early readers and paperbacks I buy used, but I think the Usborne books are really nice. I usually get them at the HS conference, never have been to a party. They have some really cute board books for toddlers. The "That's not my..." series is really cute. We also have their internet linked history and science encyclopedias and their math dictionaries. I like their board book with the pull car that drives around on the pages (don't have--costs too much). I considered becoming a consultant and watched some you tube videos of the different books. They definitely have a lot of them that I like! And I do think the quality is better than your run-of-the-mill book.

• Like 7

We adore Usborne books. We were passed down some books we had given to our nephews for gifts and despite being 13 years old and having gone through 3 very rough boys, they still look like new. The flaps in the flap books are very sturdy. Usborne (US branch anyway) doesn't sell to Amazon so any you are getting there are coming from overseas, used or some someone got for free somehow. They do sell to Barnes and Noble and other stores and those are the same price as those that are sold at parties. Full disclosure I am a consultant but do not pressure anyone to book a party with me. I get approached about doing them. I joined just for the discount! ;)

• Like 1

We adore Usborne books. We were passed down some books we had given to our nephews for gifts and despite being 13 years old and having gone through 3 very rough boys, they still look like new. The flaps in the flap books are very sturdy. Usborne (US branch anyway) doesn't sell to Amazon so any you are getting there are coming from overseas, used or some someone got for free somehow. They do sell to Barnes and Noble and other stores and those are the same price as those that are sold at parties. Full disclosure I am a consultant but do not pressure anyone to book a party with me. I get approached about doing them. I joined just for the discount! ;)

I think I saw some Usborne at Bass Pro the last time we were there and I'm pretty sure dd is getting the train book with the train track for Christmas (from her grandma and aunt). 

The books I got on Amazon weren't Usborne. Just some that were recommended from Ambleside for her age.

No, you're not missing anything. Imo, they are busy with lots of information but little depth.  They cover a lot topically. They are expensive because of their multi-level marketing.  In 15 years of hsing, I think I bought one Usborne book early on, and that was used.  My kids much, much, much preferred "living books."  I'd go with what you found on amazon.

I have to chime in here. 

I was an Usborne rep for almost eleven years before they acquired the Kane Miller line.  We love Usborne books and continue to purchase them for our grandchild.   Now if Usborne's style isn't your favorite, then I totally understand.  Folks usually tend to love or "can't stand" their books.

One of the many things that I appreciated about Usborne was that no matter where you purchased the book, the price was the same.  There was no mark-up for purchasing through a knowledgeable consultant.  When I resigned from Usborne, I believe it was 80% of our books that were priced under $10.   Amazon has become more of a major player since I resigned so  I just did a quick search on there; and with the exception of used books, it looks like the discount is about 12%.  You also have to figure in shipping, unless you order $25 or have prime.   At a home party, you only have 6% shipping with no minimum.  If that's changed then I hope someone corrects me.    I would hope that if someone attends a party or has a consultant help them, then that person would purchase from that consultant or hostess. 

• Like 2

I buy them used and there are some I really like, but most of them are just light on information and sort of a "starting point" for most research. 

Interestingly, the book I like the most and recommend to others---is out of print and can only be purchased used.

I probably have 20 books and I could easily toss all but 5.

And I would never buy new-- they are way out of my budget. 

I dearly love Usborne. We have been Usborne addicts for the past seven years (DS10 received an encyclopedia when he was 3 and he still loves that book!). I will admit that I am a representative (as of earlier this month), mostly because I love the books and want the discount. 

Usborne has a super series of books for dyslexics that I very much love (my niece is severely dyslexic). My kids are a huge fan of the encyclopedias,  the "This is Not a Math Book," and then the illustrated mythology/classic books. 

I think it just comes down to personal preference. 

• Like 3

I don't care for most of them.  I bought 2 recently that are quite different than their usual offerings.  One is a book of paper airplanes.  Each page is a different airplane.  Then the other is called This is Not a Math Book.  That one is doodly fun things you can do that are sort of mathy.

Their math dictionary is decent.

• Like 1

The "That's not my Truck" book is what got my toddler to finally love books! We love those. And their human body book and their lift the flap books are really neat. 

I adore their color your own christmas cards, and let the kids do that as an easy holiday project each year.

Their stencils are nice and study and have lasted years....nothing lasts years with my kids!

• Like 3

I don't like most of their books because they are too busy.  But the simpler ones are good.  I liked those farmyard books that are set up for buddy reading.  Do they still have those?

I don't know why they do parties; don't they still sell them at stores?

I don't like most of their books because they are too busy.  But the simpler ones are good.  I liked those farmyard books that are set up for buddy reading.  Do they still have those?

I don't know why they do parties; don't they still sell them at stores?

This is why I decided to go with the simpler books on Amazon. I was able to see the pictures and they were colorful, but very simple. For my 3 year old who is just now really liking books, I figure the less to distract her, the better. 

It sounds like there are some Usborne books that are worth looking into when dd is older, though. I'll have to go to Barnes and Noble and just browse their selection sometime. 

• Like 1

I don't like them for myself and my family. They seem to have both too much information and not enough information all at the same time. I want to like them, but find that I just don't.

However, I can see that for different kids or a family with different goals might love them. And this threads bears that out. Some of us like them, some of us don't. I think each family has to get a few (from the library to start with if you like) and see how they work for you.

• Like 1

I just went to a party a couple weeks ago. This is what I gathered. They have some neat books and not all of them can be purchased on Amazon. Some of their books have free printables online for a teacher to use (comprehension questions). I won a free book at the party and chose one of those books, but am waiting to receive it to see if we like the series. bookdepository.com was brought up on this board and I did some comparison shopping online. Well, bookdepository had better prices (free shipping) in at least several of the ones I looked at, but availability was lacking in some.

Someone at the party (not the representative) told me that Usborne will replace books that get damaged?? This came up when I said my child ripped the flaps off one book at home (similar to Usborne style, but not the same company). If that is true, I can see how that would be really appealing with young children. Maybe someone that knows more can weigh in on this.

There was one book, I think fairly new, that had a flashlight feature where you can see more if you shine a flashlight behind the pictures. I thought that was neat.

I'm not really sure if the question is about quality or educational purposes? I just thumbed through a few there.

They will replace them for half price! A local consultant is actually dropping off a replacement copy of Farmyard Tales today (one of the buddy readers SKL mentioned). Our copy has worn out (book and CD) then got lost, and it's my four year old's favorite book!

I wish they would move away from the MLM scheme in the US. That's the only thing that annoys me about Usborne. We are addicted to the sticker books, though, so we can't stop/won't stop.  :lol:  The Shakespeare, Ancient Egyptian, Greek Myths, and Prehistory sticker books were fun go-alongs for history.

Ohh I see. Thank you for explaining. What's MLM?

I did love the idea of those sticker books! I ended up getting my niece other things for Christmas, though. Yes, I already shopped like a crazy person. I ran into some sales in the art section at the store lol

Multi-level marketing.

Those flashlight books are pretty fun too. I just ordered one of those for Christmas. Don't ask me which one!

My little boys also like The Big Book of... series. Monsters, trucks, dinosaurs...right up their alley.

They will replace them for half price! A local consultant is actually dropping off a replacement copy of Farmyard Tales today (one of the buddy readers SKL mentioned). Our copy has worn out (book and CD) then got lost, and it's my four year old's favorite book!

I wish they would move away from the MLM scheme in the US. That's the only thing that annoys me about Usborne. We are addicted to the sticker books, though, so we can't stop/won't stop.  :lol:  The Shakespeare, Ancient Egyptian, Greek Myths, and Prehistory sticker books were fun go-alongs for history.

Our CD of Farmyard Tales is totally a lost cause.  I have been thinking I should maybe find a torrent site and download it.  But, for half price I'd probably buy another one and then make a working copy.  

I really really love their readers.  The first half of the set are buddy readers.  You read the small font and the child reads the big font.  Allows the book to have more of a story without tiring out the child.   

I think the readers, Farmyard Tales and Princess Tales are the only ones I paid retail or near retail.  Otherwise I buy them for a $1 each at the clearance section of Half Priced Books.   Or in a lot at about $1 each from e-bay.   

I don't love all the books, but the brand does mean not-dreck. So, if I see them cheap, I can't put up any resistance when they jump into my basket.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ds had The Usborne Book of Stories for Boys and it was the first book he really loved. It was a big, thick tome of a thing that I found at the thrift store. The text was at sort of Nate the Great level. He read and read it. It was mostly retellings of classics and fairy tales and so forth. Right now, we're listening to Treasure Island in the car and he was like, oh, I know that from that stories for boys book. I'm like, you read that like six years ago!

Our other favorite Usborne thing was the write on cards for puzzles and so forth. We did a ton of those as long car trip gifts when my kids were a little younger.

We liked a number of their different lines. I don't know how anyone can say they don't like any of their books when they publish such a huge variety of stuff - board books, easy readers, fiction, nonfiction, etc. They do have a design style with a font that they overuse, but it's not on everything. I'm not a huge fan of the blurby nonfiction and, like DK, they do publish a good bit of that. We enjoyed a lot more of their books when the boys were little though.

• Like 2

Couple things.

Background, I'm not a huge fan.  I have a couple of their books that I've purchased for school (internet-linked) or been handed-down (Book for boys or something) and a couple that we've found at Goodwill (paper airplane & origami).  l also think we have a farmyard one that we received at my baby shower 12 years ago.

I think they are mostly known for 2 kinds of books - their Educational non-fiction Encyclopedias and their board books.  Most people only know about one of these categories despite the fact that they have SO much more than that.  And like everything, it's lots of love it or hate it with some "meh" in between.

A friend of mine who has always loved their books, of all kinds, just became a consultant.  It is MLM.  Which I detest.  However. If what she has told me is true, it isn't the same kind of MLM IMO.  She purchased her starter kit of books for her to keep.  She has no minimums to sell, ever.  She retains her 25% discount for her lifetime.  I think that sounds like a great deal for someone who really believes in these books.  I went to her FB practice party & I booked a FB party with her for next week.  I know that many people hate being invited to these parties but whatever - just don't go if you don't want to.  I've seen people get really nasty just at being invited & I think that's really over the top.

I do want to second Farrar's post (I should have quoted) about that book of stories for boys.  I think my mom found it at a garage sale years ago & gave it to us.  My now-12yo has LOVED this book and re-reads it several times every year. He just finished reading The Outsiders and I'm sure he'll be reading that Usborne book again before Xmas.  My other boys love it too.

Books that I've recently discovered and I think are great.

Sticker books

Flashlight books

Easy reader collections

Buddy reader books (these are MUCH nicer than any of these that we can find at our small but great library)

Books with the train/car tracks 

Coloring books

Water Painting books

This is not a Math book

Their Jack series looks really good for my late reader

I don't know anything about their middle-school age series, but I'm going to find out.

• Like 2

I hadn't even known the flashlight books were theirs.  I really love those books.  At least for my young child.  Moving the flashlight around to "discover' things makes them more interesting because the child "discovered" them.  So, you hear, "Oooh, Mommy, what is that?" often in the flashlight books.  Although the Zoo at Night one is worthless.  

I have found several, especially the science encyclopedias, "First encyclopedia of our world" etc, to be handy. My kids loved them.  

Most of their books were the sort of thing that my kids would pull out and look at quietly on their own, if it was about a subject that interested them. But I have never been asked to a book party type thing. I have always got them off Amazon. 

I have found DK books and Kingfisher to be more useful in homeschooling.

• Like 1