Menu

When you want mashed potatoes... but with a twist???

helena

Many other root vegetables can be mashed in -- sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots.

Cream, milk, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar, butter, bacon grease, chicken fat, and chicken stock are all fats/liquids that I've added.

Salt, pepper, and garlic are a given, but I've also added cayenne, ginger, turmeric, parsley, chives, and finely chopped onion.

• Like 3

My SIL introduced me to the mouthwatering joy that is mash potatoes with avocado. I was skeptical. I am, after all, from Idaho. I adore potatoes (although it has to be said that I am a bit of a potato snob!), with a distinct preference for those grown in volcanic soil:)

Anyway, it is really good! Especially with garlic as well:)

I have tried a few good recipes, but simplest is just to mash them in.

I made a vegan version of this the other night that was gorgeous! It has mash, avocado, and caramelized onionsðŸ˜

http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/01/avocado-mashed-potatoes-with.html?m=1

And Ohsheglows has a smashed potato with avocado aoli that is on my list to try!

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/10/15/crispy-smashed-potatoes-with-avocado-garlic-aioli/

• Like 4

Well, one thanksgiving I accidentally used vanilla soy milk but I don't recommend it!

I've done that too! In fact I've ruined quite a few meals that way. :) I recently stocked up on unsweetened milks (that store in the pantry) for those kinds of jobs. To me , even the regular soy milks can be too sweet. Vanilla, asparagus soup... YUCK!!

• Like 2

My SIL introduced me to the mouthwatering joy that is mash potatoes with avocado. I was skeptical. I am, after all, from Idaho. I adore potatoes (although it has to be said that I am a bit of a potato snob!), with a distinct preference for those grown in volcanic soil:)

Anyway, it is really good! Especially with garlic as well:)

I have tried a few good recipes, but simplest is just to mash them in.

I made a vegan version of this the other night that was gorgeous! It has mash, avocado, and caramelized onionsðŸ˜

http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/01/avocado-mashed-potatoes-with.html?m=1

And Ohsheglows has a smashed potato with avocado aoli that is on my list to try!

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/10/15/crispy-smashed-potatoes-with-avocado-garlic-aioli/

I love Oh She Glows! I make her pesto. :)

If you search mashed potato bar ideas on Google, you might get oodles of options. It was a catering/party thing.

Caramelized onions, Gruyere cheese, and tiny salad shrimp cooked shrimp scampi style are really yummy. With some fresh herbs.

Bacon, cheddar, green onions

Goat cheese and arugula and lemon zest and garlic

• Like 1

Mashed parsnips and rutabaga, with or without caramelized onions.

Mashed turnips with horseradish and scallions - this usually calls for some sour cream, use a vegan substitute.

Mashed potatoes with scallions and finely chopped spinach.

Mashed potatoes with steamed finely grated carrot added in, and garlic.

• Like 1

I made loaded cauliflower so I'm sure it would work for potatoes.  

Steam or cook potatoes.  Add thick cooked bacon diced up, shredded sharp cheddar cheese. 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup mayo and lots of salt and pepper.  Mix it up and add some extra cheese on top.   Bake 350 for 30 minutes...it's delicious! 

• Like 1

Mashed broccotatoes! 

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/rachael-ray-30-minute-meals/quick-chicken-with-gouda-gravy-and-smashed-brocco-tatoes

Also, German potatos with rutabaga, in case nobody has mentioned that.

Both of these variations can be made vegan in the same way as mashed potatoes can be made vegan. Just sub for butter. I'd recommend a sweeter sub with the rutabaga (like a coconut oil) and something more nutty like a light sesame or sunflower oil with the broccoli.

• Like 1

Everyone's in pain from over eating. :) We all ate a mountain of potatoes. 

I'll update when I try a new recipe. We eat a lot of potatoes, so I'm excited! 

Actually, about a month ago I made a cooking schedule so that everyone has to cook dinner one night a week. Cooking has quickly become fun again. Imagine that!! :) 

• Like 4