Menu

Dessert poll

Audrey

Strawberry dessert  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have?

• Strawberry Pie
    • Strawberry Shortcake
    • Some other strawberry dessert (please explain in a post)

This is a quick one.  If you were going to a community supper, would you rather have strawberry pie or strawberry shortcake? 

* There will be other desserts there, too.  I just have oodles of strawberries, so I'm making something with strawberries no matter what. 

For those who haven't heard of Strawberry Pie before...you are missing out.  

It is a cold-fruit pie.  The crusts gets baked, and then my recipe has a cream cheese layer at the bottom).  You stand the strawberries hulled-side down (pointy-side up)in concentric circles, then place a homemade strawberry glace (glaze) over the top (which gels and holds the pie together), serve with whipped cream.  YUMMY.

• Like 13

Strawberry pie. Unless someone has gone to the effort of baking homemade sponge cake, those commercial things are used -- and they feel and taste horrible to me.

P.S. Just saw a post mentioning cream cheese in the pie. Ouch! This is a fruit only pie! :>)

P.S. #2. . . . unless one makes a frozen strawberry cream pie! (in which case, please invite the rest of us!)

• Like 1

I'd make one of those layered desserts that can be spooned out. My sil makes one with angel cake and pudding and whipped cream.

The thing that I don't like about taking pies to community events is that they are difficult to get out of the pan neatly. And after the first 3-4 people have dug a few pieces of pie out, the filling oozes all over and it looks messy and unappealing to me.

Those spoon out of the dish recipes are just easier to serve.

Something like this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/97179304434354057/

• Like 3

I generally love fruit pie and strawberries but not strawberry pie. It's a little too strawberry for me. I chose shortcake as it has other ingredients to reduce the strawberry-ish-ness. But I prefer my strawberry and cream combo over angel food cake if that's an option. :drool:

• Like 2

Strawberries and cream would do me.

My mind is boggling at having enough strawberries cheap enough to make into a pie. I don't think I've ever met a strawberry pie before.  :huh:

This makes me so sad. Growing up in Southern California, there are very few days when I don't eat strawberries. Are they really that hard/expensive to export? They don't grow in Oz?

• Like 1

of course they grow here in Australia :001_smile: depending on where you live of course. some places are too hot/dry. and the strawberries shrivel up. I live in a cool enough place that berries love, and grow huge amounts.

but if you don't grow them yourself they are very expensive to buy.

Even here in the midwest, they would be prohibitively expensive more than once a year.  We grow them but not many make it in past my kids. ;) 

• Like 2

Between strawberry pie and shortcake, I'd choose the shortcake.

I'd also like to offer Strawberry Trifle as an option: https://www.pamperedchef.com/recipe/Desserts/American/Strawberry+Cream+Trifle/78379

I've made that trifle many times, adjusting to use fresh strawberries macerated in a bit of sugar in place of the frozen berries, subbing plain yogurt for part of the strawberry yogurt to cut down on sweetness, and omitting the nuts. You could also use homemade cake instead of frozen pound cake and/or whipped cream instead of Cool Whip. This dessert travels well, isn't fussy to make or serve, and has a nice balance of tangy and sweet.

• Like 1

I made a Strawberry Pie using a Cook's Illustrated recipe a few years ago. It was my first time to make such a pie.

It was OK, but those strawberries were excellent without cooking! Why did I bother?

I'd say only make SP if you expect your strawberries to be very tart.

• Like 1

Strawberry pie is my favorite, but I make mine with smaller chunks of strawberry because leaving them whole makes for awkward eating since they are usually too big for one bite. I also make homemade glaze and whipped cream to go with it.  :drool5:  

And now I want to make a strawberry pie!

• Like 1

I'd eat the pie or the shortcake, but what I'd really love is Eton mess - strawberries, cream and meringue.

I had thought of that but it's so hot the mess would be complete mess by the time supper was over.

• Like 2

Strawberries and cream would do me.

My mind is boggling at having enough strawberries cheap enough to make into a pie. I don't think I've ever met a strawberry pie before.  :huh:

They came from my garden and so were quasi-free.  I have already frozen 50+ of those 2 litre bags of them, and made more jam than I can reasonably count.   

• Like 2

Oh, a fruit flan. They are tasty. :)

By pie, I thought it was cooked in between shortcrust pastry layers.

Yes.  That's the kind I was going to do.  I do a top crust with candied almonds on it.

• Like 4

I am glad I asked for other suggestions.  Because I also have an inordinate amount of eggs to use, I decided to go with making scads of mini pavlovas and a batch of strawberry topping (basically just sliced strawberries with a bit of sugar to render the juices, then I'll thicken that up and add some fresh mint). 

Now, I will need some suggestions of what to do with all those egg yolks.  Anyone?  :)

• Like 4