Menu

Do you still have your wedding dress?

DawnM

I put mine on on (or near) our anniversary each year just for fun. The dc enjoy seeing me in it. I only keep it on for a few minutes so I don't get it dirty (it cost a lot of money to get it dry cleaned!). Dh usually takes a picture of me wearing it. Some years I couldn't get it on because I was pregnant, but I'm happy to say that after 6 dc, it still fits; it's just a little snug around my rib cage because the pregnancies caused some permanent spreading, I guess!

I've always told my daughters they can wear it when they get married if they want to. We'll see!

• Like 4

I have mine sealed up in the box the preserving type company put it in. We don't have nearly as much storage in our new house. I actually pulled it out this week-end, debating whether or not to keep it. Hubby wants me to wait on the decision, so it went back to my very limited storage space.

• Like 2

I have it in a bag inside a cardboard box. I just plan on leaving it there until one of my kids wants to use pieces of it for their dress. Or not. I'm not sentimental.

I remember being warned that if I didn't have it specially cleaned and vacuum -sealed after the wedding that it would be yellow. I was always bummed because we couldn't afford it in the early days.

Nope. Still looks the same.

• Like 4

Mine is like a gothic medieval dress, and not white. I keep it because it is actually suitable to wear to, say, an anniversary celebration. It's eveningwear, bordering on 'costume' but it doesn't LOOK like a 'wedding dress' so it may have a use down the track. 

• Like 1

Yes, it is stored in my cedar chest for almost 40 years now. I have no plans for it. My girls are both married and neither wanted to wear it. My oldest wore the pendant I wore on my wedding day. It was a gift from my then fiancé on my birthday just a couple weeks before our wedding. But that isn't what you asked.

• Like 1

Uh...no. Years ago we had a Lab puppy, and said puppy would chew everything. That included the dress that dh took out of the bag to take to be cleaned. He hung it from a rod that was above the dog crate, then forgot it. The dog went into her crate and pulled down the hem of the dress.

Like others, mine is in a box under the bed. But it was the late 80's, so it has big puffy sleeves and a gazillion silver and crystal bugle beads on it (very formal evening wedding). I haven't looked closely in years, but if the "heirlooming process" failed, all those beads are likely yellowed and tarnished, even if the fabric is still white. My veil was loaned to a cousin and not stored properly afterwards; it's now in the dress up bin and the silver beads are tarnished.

Now I'm curious. But there's no way it would fit. I'll probably just leave it alone until my daughters get married. I doubt they'd want any part of it, but it will be fun to get it out and try it on when they're in the dress shopping mode.

• Like 1

I got married in a red silk dress. It's sealed up in a ziploc bag that I carefully sucked the air out of and shoved in my memories box. I have no clue what I'll do with it. Maybe something. Maybe one day I'll clean it out and be like, oh, this, and toss it.

• Like 3

It's hanging in little ds' closet. He's too young to care that it is there, but I will probably have to decide what to do with it in the next couple of years. I didn't have daughters, so I have no one to pass it on to. I still don't want to part with it.

• Like 1

Yes. I love it! It's currently in a box in the closet, but as soon as we move I'm going to put it in a display case with the one silk flower that was in my bouquet and maybe my rings. It's gorgeous.

Eta: And the picture of us kissing covered in cake. I treasure that picture.

• Like 2

Mine is in my attic, in a big garment storage bag, along with the four dresses I wore to DH's junior and senior proms and my junior and senior proms.  I doubt my only daughter will be able to wear it, as she is taller than I am already, and she's probably not done growing.  I never had it cleaned, but I went up there a year and a half ago to retrieve my grandmother's handkerchief, which was pinned to the underside of my gown, so that my only sister could carry the handkerchief at *her* wedding, and it still looked nice and white.  I don't know what I'll ever do with it, but I hate the idea of getting rid of it.

• Like 1

I have my son's baptismal gown.  Yes, gown.  We're traditional like that.

We actually mailed my wedding dress off to a seamstress.  She used my gown and veil to make Robby's baptismal gown. 

My mom kept her dress until I was nearing high school.  It was a beautiful dress, but not something that could really be used again.  She donated it to our 4-H club's haunted trail fundraiser.  Someone wore it with fake blood, etc.  I always felt sad about that.

• Like 4

I have pieces of it left. When my daughter was born I had part of it cut up to make her blessing dress, then had the rest made into a baptism dress when she was baptized at 8. Some of the crinoline lining and a few scraps of the plainer parts of the dress are left in a bag somewhere. Still white. Haven't decided yet what, if anything, I'll do with it.

• Like 1

Yes!  I love love LOVE my dress and once I loose the weight, I'll be wearing around the house.  Yes, it's a traditional white dress.  But I love it that much and it's not like I am planning on getting married again.  So, the only logical thing for me to do is to wear it around the house!

• Like 7

I have three wedding dresses. One for the civil wedding and two for the traditional ceremony and reception. Two of the three can be used as smart casual tea party dresses. The most formal of the three is an ivory yellow gown and can be use for a formal evening social. I still have all three at my parents home since it doesn't make sense to bring them when we relocate here.

• Like 1

I have mine but never had it packed away or preserved. Didn't think it was necessary - I put it on occasionally as a weight loss comparison and the beaded trim was nearly $80 per yard, and hasn't shown a single sign of deterioration. I had the leftovers made into a beautiful clutch for myself and plan on cannibalizing the breaks for my daughters someday, likely in the same way - it makes a killer purse.

I still have mine.  I didn't preserve it.  I have no idea what to do with it; I'm sure my DD is not going to want to use it.

We got married in 1987, and my dress had huge shoulders and a medium train that was so pretty that I got the alterations person to double bustle it so that the design wouldn't be hidden when it was hooked up off the floor.  I don't think she had ever done that before, but it came out really nicely.

• Like 1

I have pieces of it left. When my daughter was born I had part of it cut up to make her blessing dress, then had the rest made into a baptism dress when she was baptized at 8. Some of the crinoline lining and a few scraps of the plainer parts of the dress are left in a bag somewhere. Still white. Haven't decided yet what, if anything, I'll do with it.

Mine is still in the closet and I have had no idea what to do with it. I can see my oldest DD loving a baptism dress made from it, though! That gives me hope because I can't get rid of it otherwise.

• Like 2

Yes. It is preserved in a box in my closet. I realized recently that due to design ( it was a trendy style half my friends wore 25 years ago, definitely not a timeless look), dd would probably not wear it. I told dd she could have it and use however she wishes, including cut it up. She's a little shorter than me, so fitting wouldn't be a major problem.

• Like 1

I have mine. None of my girls will ever be able to wear it (and two are already married); they are way taller and have huge shoulders. I should send if off the angel gowns. Dd was given a dress to salvage the lace off of--I plan on encouraging her tomorrow to let me send it off. She's already married. http://www.nicuhelpinghands.org/lend-a-helping-hand/angel-gowns/

Lovely idea.  Sounds like if you fill out the forms in Sept. you wouldn't be able to send it to them for several months.

Mine was cleaned and boxed a few days following our wedding and has lived with us in a closet ever since.  I'd kind of like to get rid of it but don't know where to donate it.  I doubt any future DIL would want to wear it.  Plus she'd have to be super short and thin.

• Like 1

I have mine too.  It was my mother's wedding dress that I had sized up to fit me.  But, I don't know what ot do with it.   It's rather dated looking (very 50s) and my dd's have already said they don't like it.

I'ts probably not in very good shape since it's over 50yrs old.  I haven't pulled it out in years.

• Like 1

Yes. I am not particularly sentimental about it, but dh didn't want to get rid of it when we moved. I had stuck it in a closet and never taken it back out, so I didn't see the point in keeping it if we could donate it. He, unbeknownst to me, took it to a tailor and had it cut shorter and taken in a bit, and then gave it to our girls for Christmas as a dress up dress. â¤ï¸ It is still the preferred costume for dd4.

• Like 4

Yes, I had it cleaned and stored in a preservation box. I doubt my daughter will want to wear it and I have debated getting rid of it for years. However, my dh would be horrified if I got rid of it. He is still traumatized that I dyed my wedding shoes to match the bridesmaid dress I wore shortly after we were married. As if I had occasion to wear white silk shoes again.

So it sits and takes up space. I would like to wear it as a halloween costume but it no longer fits.

• Like 1

I do. And just a few weeks ago my daughter got married and wore my veil. It was the day after my 32nd anniversary. I had thought about getting rid of it but I am glad I did not. I have two more daughters. Maybe they would like to use it also.

• Like 1