Menu

Salty or Sweet

creekland

You are allowed ONE snack as a splurge...  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is that snack salty or sweet or???

• Salty
    • Sweet
    • Neither - hand over the celery (or other) - MUST be your ideal preference, not just for dietary reasons!
    • Both - salty and sweet in the same snack - NOT two different snacks

The morning fun poll... :coolgleamA:

I think it's self-explanatory, but let me know if I need to add other options.  This is just a fun "calories and sensitivities don't matter" poll.

Looking for pure preferences.

Why?  Why not? 

As for me... I'm 100% on salt's side!  Others in my family disagree... but they don't count for polling purposes.

• Like 3

I can't vote, as there is no option for sometimes sweet, sometimes salty (not at the same time).

You'd have to vote with what you'd go for today - getting your splurge snack now.  Too many of us could be in moods if this were a totally general question.  ;)

Even with my preference for salt, every now and then I want ice cream - and I don't add salt to it!  I also like fruit and never salt that.

But usually I'll want chips or fries or similar.  A slice of ham is as good of a dessert food for me (maybe better) than a slice of pie.  I'll often skip desserts if pies, etc, are the only option.  I also detest free breakfasts at motels where all they offer is typical carb things (donuts, muffins, etc).

Wow, a tie at this point!  I checked sweet, because although that's not my preference exactly and all the time, it comes closest to what I prefer.

I was surprised to see it a tie at this point too.  Imagine what kind of thread it could have been if I'd worded it more as to which is better or which should I be serving to all the neighborhood younguns!  Cupcakes revisited...

• Like 1

If I'm really only allowed one, I need to go with both. I'm thinking in particular of the Trader Joe's chocolate covered nut clusters with sea salt. Protein, chocolate, and salt--yum!!

Edited due to incorrect autocorrect.

If you have a Costco, try their dark chocolate pumpkin seed bark. Here's a link to Amazon (people resell it and Jack up the price! It's not insane at Costco) to see it and read reviews. :) Bark Thins Snacking Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed with Sea Salt, 17 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P5LFUQ8/

My DS loves dark chocolate but not salty sweet things, so this is allllll miiiiiiiine. ;)

• Like 1

You'd have to vote with what you'd go for today - getting your splurge snack now.  Too many of us could be in moods if this were a totally general question.   ;)

Even with my preference for salt, every now and then I want ice cream - and I don't add salt to it!  I also like fruit and never salt that.

But usually I'll want chips or fries or similar.  A slice of ham is as good of a dessert food for me (maybe better) than a slice of pie.  I'll often skip desserts if pies, etc, are the only option.  I also detest free breakfasts at motels where all they offer is typical carb things (donuts, muffins, etc).

Right now I'd go with sweet. Because morning.

• Like 1

Salted nuts plus 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries was my breakfast this morning.

YUUUUUMMMMM!

Separately this would be quite tasty. Together (in the same dish) it would make me gag.  I can't stand sweet with my salty foods or vice versa.  I tried salted dark chocolate once and had to throw it away after gagging on it!

Foods in general, savory. I don't sauces and condiments that are too sweet (or like some deli hand that are brown-sugar-maple-molasses-cherry-glazed, kwim?).

When I get a little craving, it's usually for something sweet. But at the moment I'm craving California rolls, so go figure!

• Like 1

Wow!  It's currently 41 to 41 to 40.

We're still a diverse bunch with our preferences.

And now I need to decide what I want to munch on for supper/snack.  It will likely be a yellow squash - with salt added.  ;)  It doesn't seem to be an ice cream night.

Both. I could kill for a chocolate-covered pretzel or a hunk of Bark. Or trail mix that has chocolate bits in it. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks, now I want trail mix.....

• Like 1

Separately this would be quite tasty. Together (in the same dish) it would make me gag. I can't stand sweet with my salty foods or vice versa. I tried salted dark chocolate once and had to throw it away after gagging on it!

That's it. I can't respect you anymore, Creekland.

Dd's and My favorite Wokenfuss candy is dark chocolate salted caramels. OMG. I am defenseless. I will eat them all in a sitting. It is a Very Bad Thing.

• Like 4

That's it. I can't respect you anymore, Creekland.

Dd's and My favorite Wokenfuss candy is dark chocolate salted caramels. OMG. I am defenseless. I will eat them all in a sitting. It is a Very Bad Thing.

Well, at least you know what you can bring to our next get together and not tempt me at all.  ;)  I like dark chocolate and I like dark chocolate with caramel, but add the salt in and it's ruined...  

I can't stand salt on watermelon either.

I chose neither because my choice is savory, but excessive salt doesn't play into it.

Savory... such as?

• Like 1

Foods in general, savory. I don't sauces and condiments that are too sweet (or like some deli hand that are brown-sugar-maple-molasses-cherry-glazed, kwim?).

When I get a little craving, it's usually for something sweet. But at the moment I'm craving California rolls, so go figure!

Yep, my favorite splurges are all things like steak, or loaded baked potato, or fancy baked mac and cheese. 

But if you're talking about "snack" foods, rather than "dinner" foods, that might be an impulse buy when I'm out and about?  Then I'd go for ice cream over potato chips every time.

Resistance is futile. :D

Red velvet cake?  It wouldn't tempt me at all.  Neither does having donuts available to all (staff) in the mailroom prior to school starting or at church fellowship on Sundays.

There are plenty of things that would go bad before I'd be tempted to eat them - no willpower needed.  Many sweets fit that category.