Menu

S/O changing a tire: What stuff do you make your kids learn that others think is crazy?

How to sew! I sew, quilt, and do tons of needlecrafts and I really want to pass these skills down to my girls. So far, it's working and they both love to do anything sewing-related! My older daughter made her first hand-tied quilt completely on her own (on my sewing machine) this past year, when she was still 7, and my youngest is getting started with the machine as well. Sometimes people are shocked that I trust my children with all those scissors, needles, and the iron, but they both do great with it! I've found that if you trust children with "adult" things, they feel honored by that trust and treat the items and the process with respect. (Disclaimer: my girls' sewing machine and iron use is independent, but always supervised. My oldest is allowed to use hand needles completely on her own, though. Neither child is yet allowed to use my rotary cutter, because that thing truly is dangerous and could chop your fingers off, lol.)

I want to pass these skills along because I love the artistry, but also so both my children become capable of hemming and repairing their own clothes. (Additionally, once you know how to sew a garment and you learn about fabrics, you can capably assess the value of clothing and will never pay for clothes that truly aren't worth their cost.) So, for me, the desire to teach these things is part art/creativity/enjoyment, part practical life skills. 

ETA: I don't feel like I am "making" them learn this, so much as I am inviting them to learn. They both are naturally attracted to sewing and whenever they see me doing it, they want to join in. So I feel more like it's something I'm encouraging, rather than insisting upon or forcing. Things I'm "forcing" are the sorts of chores others have listed--doing laundry, home repairs, learning to handle personal finances, etc. I'm enjoying this thread!

• Like 2

Knot tying and knife use.

When my then 4 year old picked up his butter knife and started buttering his roll one thanksgiving, SIL saw him and began screaming. Turned out her 9 yr old was not allowed to do so. Her kids all live at home now, all btween age 25 and 30, and she still does everything for them, including cutting up meat and buttering rolls. They dont mow, shovel, or plow either, but that isnt unusual for teens in this area-- most either work construction with a relative, deal drugs, or play videogames.

Knot tying...we had no idea so many people think ropes and kids under supervision are unsafe, but they sure like to comment. ancestors were seamen, so a lad developing rope skills isnt unusual for us.

:svengo: PLEASE tell me you are joking or exaggerating to make a point. Please?

If this is true, I think I want to resign my humanity and go live as a rock in outer space or something.

• Like 4

My friend's mom used to go to dinner with us sometimes, and she held her breath the first time she saw my kids (then around 4/5yo) using steak knives to cut their meat.  They weren't great at it, but they were trying, and their fingers were not in danger.  I mean, your hands are holding the handles of the knife and fork, no human flesh is near the blade.  Or have I been doing it wrong all these years?

My kids also light matches.  The horror!  Oh, and I bought them pocket knives last Christmas.  So far no disasters with those.

But, in the interest of full disclosure, my 8yo cut herself last week during day camp.  On a dissecting knife.  Apparently she did not check carefully to see where the sharp edge was.  My other kid also burned herself on dry ice.  All under careful adult supervision, I might add.  :P  Well heck, they wouldn't want to be deprived of band-aids.

• Like 2

My 7 year old made popcorn on the stove in a pot when my husband was meant to be watching her - he thought I had taught her and so while she did a good job, she did burn the counter top a bit by putting the pot there instead of on the other plate. That same day my 4 year old cut her hair - she fortunately did not do too bad a job of it (it was relatively easy to fix) and now wants to be a hairdresser.

My 4 year old does use steak knives (under supervision this time) and my eldest (7) knows how to use all the equipment in the kitchen though she has been told to ask before doing so. We have taught them in theory (they can help us) to drain the pool and refill it, how to test it and how to add chemicals - the acid and chlorine remain out of their reach however.

My eldest was cutting open uteri of dogs in a veterinary clinic at age 2.5 (the uterus was not attached to the dog anymore) and helping to stain blood smears - under supervision of course. 

They have helped to cut down trees and smaller bushes. They know a great deal about treating minor emergencies too and some major ones though again all supervised by an adult.

• Like 1

And I take my kids to professional conferences.  About tax.  They were 4 the first time they sat in for the lecures.  (I know you all want to be my kid.)

My brother had dd intrigued by his online investment account home page. Part of that is she has square eyes. The other part is because we've told her she's going to have to be rich to afford the ten kids she wants. :lol:

• Like 1

I have sent my children places (park and store) by themselves...WITHOUT A CELL PHONE.  ON PURPOSE.  So they would figure out how to do what they needed to do without calling me.

And I know that there are a few of you here on the boards who also have that sort of parenting philosophy, but around where I live, that is, well, thought of as c.r.a.z.y.

I don't make them learn, but they have chosen to learn-

Archery-my did was given a cross bow at age 10, and she's a pretty good shot!

Shooting a gun-we do require a gun safety course, because I didn't have that growling up and am still very uncomfortable with them. I want my kids to have extensive knowledge of how they work, and the damage they can cause. I want them to know the rules of gun safety, and be comfortable with them, taking the 'forbidden fruit' aspect away. They are not required to shoot, but both chose to try after we did the safety course. The two big girls have shot them, starting at age 6.

Woodworking-dh loves woodworking, and has passed this on to the kids. The big girls have made things using a lathe, chop saw, and drill press. They have a wood burning tool, and various saws and wood carving tools.

Various barn chores-we do not live on a farm, but would love to. We have spent entire summers on friends farms volunteering. We volunteer for a horse rescue organization. When they take their riding lesson, we always help out around the farm. They've learned how to raise chickens and ducklings from eggs, we've uncubated them and did the candling with the eggs. They can muck a stall, know how to feed and groom various animals, and how to read their behavior.

Gardening-this is something I am learning, so we haven't tackled it full on yet. However, I think this is so important. Again, it's something I didn't have growing up, and wish I would have.

Things we 'let' them do that strikes some people as odd-

Climb trees, as high as they feel comfortable, as soon as they are able.

Rock climb, starting at age 3.

Use my chefs knives, starting at age 4.

Start a fire in the fire pit, with help. They learned a couple of years ago how to start a fire with dried leaves and a magnifying glass. We made sure it was in a safe place and let them do it.

Knee boarding and water skiiing, started last year when they were 3, 6, and 9.

Walk through our wooded property alone. They have to go in a pair, but not necessarily with an adult.

I grew up in one of those families with a wood pile, wood stove, huge garden, plenty of canning & jamming, camping, fishing, and crabbing -- so that shaped my expectations of what children could do. I think I was mowing the lawn (push mower) by the time I was 11, cleaning the house (completely) at around 12, cooking meals, doing laundry, giving haircuts. We just had to wait until we were 17 to get a driver license (NJ), but there was so much to do at home, I wasn't in a hurry. ;)

My husband, on the other hand, didn't grow up with a garden (or much grass, for that matter), a wood stove, yard work, fishing, camping, or even a single pet! He did do chores, though, and take care of his little brother, but we had quite different ideas about what children could do at certain stages.

Two years ago, I was doing some yard work with my girls, and had our then 8 year old saw some branches off a tree that needed trimming.

Hubby came out and was horrified. "You're letting her use a saw???!!"

I was thrilled that she was so enthusiastic and capable. "Yes, look at that kid go!"

We have many moments like that. I operate according to, "They can, they are capable, and I am closely supervising," and he operates by, "Oh no! A vegetable peeler!??? They are going to DIE!"

My two eight year olds and the ten year old all make oatmeal or cream of wheat from start to finish, except for pouring it into the bowls.

My ten year old makes raisin bread, rye bread, and corn bread from start to finish, except taking the hot pans from the oven (we're working on that).

They all make tossed salads or fruit salads without any help from me.

I do wish we had a garden, but we'd have to put in a fence to make it worth the effort of planting. The rabbits and deer would devour it all. I have it in me to get the garden dug up, I think, but a fence would need more umph and $$$ than I've got. Sigh. For now, they are learning how to harvest at U-pick farms. :)

• Like 1

Well, I can't ski past a blue, but dh was a ski patrolman for years. When people would ask me why we kept having kids, I'd tell them so I could out ski SOMEONE for a few years! They all passed me up by age 7 or so... And I never did learn to snowboard. 

Yeah, I don't really care about the skiing, but if you adopt me and teach me the rest of the stuff, I will bring you flowers on Mother's Day. :)

I'm especially interested in the "How to Butcher a Chicken" class and the "How to Milk a Cow" class. Oh, and I particularly need the "How to Install a Fence" class (see post above). ;)

• Like 2

A butter knife is not a real knife though. You can't cut yourself with one even if you tried.

Well, I did!  And I was an adult.  It was the week after I got married, and I somehow managed to slice my finger on a BUTTER KNIFE!  I still remember it because, like you, I didn't think it could happen.  I felt like an idiot.  Now, 35 years later, I still sometimes manage to do things that make me feel that way.  :p

Yeah, I don't really care about the skiing, but if you adopt me and teach me the rest of the stuff, I will bring you flowers on Mother's Day. :)

I'm especially interested in the "How to Butcher a Chicken" class and the "How to Milk a Cow" class. Oh, and I particularly need the "How to Install a Fence" class (see post above). ;)

I know a good technique for butchering a chicken.  You stick their head in a cone like those orange cones on a road.  They will get all relaxed.   Then you cut off their heads, and hang them up with the cut end down and a bucket underneath.  The reason for the cone is so that they don't panic and flood their bodies with bad tasting adrenaline.  Or, run around like a chicken with its head cut off.  

Do you know that a chicken lived without a head for 18 months?  

• Like 1

I'll tell you how I sliced my hand with a butter knife. It's not that our knives are different, I assure you.

I was going to put some butter on a slightly stale bagel and I didn't want to wash a sharp knife, and I ought to have cut it in half first this way before cutting it the other way so I'd have a flat surface to cut, but I didn't bother and as I'm holding the entire bagel at the bottom by the cutting board and sawing industriously away my hand slips and I gouged my thumb really badly, a triangular flap of skin just sticking up. Ugh.

Took forever to heal, and no way I would've caused so much damage if I'd been using a sharp knife. NEVER CUT WITH A DULL KNIFE, that's my motto. Pity I didn't bother to follow it that one time.

Ds was around 8 when he started doing half of the grocery shopping for me.  I could rip the list in half and he'd do half while I did the other half.  I did have to talk to the deli manager about how I expected them to serve him courteously like a normal customer.  I had people talk to me about how their college kids didn't know how to grocery shop.

Both my kids did the laundry at fairly young ages though I didn't really keep track of how old they are and can't remember now.  I had to teach my niece when she started college.  (Not just how to run my particular washer but how to do the laundry, period.)

Both used knives in elementary.  Again, I didn't pay attention to their ages.  

Both could make simple things like French toast, pancakes or fried/scrambled eggs in elementary.

They could mow the lawn around 11 or 12.  They had to be strong enough to control the mower confidently.  

Both walked a lot as toddlers.

I don't really remember ages for most things because I don't consider any of this a contest and let them do stuff as they, personally, were ready.  Some things might have been "early" and some things might have been "late".  

A lot of the same around here, my 8 yo can and does make super or breakfast, just last week she sauteed chicken and then chopped all the veggies for salads, she did it all herself because she wanted to. She made oats this morning, again entirely on her own, she generally cooks or bakes at least 1x a day. Ds doesn't have much interest but he does some; last week I put him in charge of potatoes, he peeled, chopped, seasoned and put them in the oven and checked to see if they were done. He was so proud of his yummy potatoes :)  Dd 5 does basic non-heat cooking, her and dd8 have cook-offs for lunch sometimes and ds and I are the judges. Dd8 knows how to make a basic homemade pizza sauce from the top of her head, lots of stuff like that. 

My 5yo on up use knives, although my 8yo and 10yo have greater reign.

Ds has started pushmowing but he is so small it will be awhile before he can do all of it.

My 8yo and 10yo help in the grocery store, I send them to get this or that, my 5yo is given a smaller leash but fetches things as well.

Ds10 and dd8 organize various cabinets, shelves, the frig etc; they take great pride in this; dd5 has started but is just given small jobs. I did have to put a lid on it for a bit after they had rearranged and organized my plate cabinet 2x in 1 wk. I think many people are missing organizational skills so I like to give them practice, with some pointers and ideas here and there.

ds has started working with dh on the car, basic electrical and plumbing work; we plan to have everyone know the basics. 

I let them do most cleaning jobs, like today even my 2yo was mopping, it is way wetter than it needed to be but whatever, we just dry it up, usually it is a bit of an event when they all mop the greatroom they put on swimsuits and slide across the floor on rags, as long as its clean it works for me :)

ds is my tech guru and does a lot of stuff in that realm, set-up, install, updates, etc, etc. Yet again if he wants to do it I let him and he seems to do just fine.

I can't remember what else, I encourage and embrace their independence so if they feel they can do it then I try to make it happen.

I have nothing to add to this thread, except an anecdote.

Last year when we were going to butcher chickens we invited SIL and BIL. They enthusiastically agreed. They then said, "Ummmm, actually we know this guy and it's been his life-long dream to learn to butcher a chicken. Can he and his family come too?" 

And we laughed and said sure (many hands make light work and all). 

Apparently he had chickens a handful of times growing up, which his parents told him he could butcher when big enough. Except they always got eaten by predators first. 

It was pretty fun to watch someone fulfill a lifelong dream.

Oh, I just remembered, People have given us funny looks when they realize our kids use real tools. We even have a stump in the house for them to practice hammering on. (Kids are currently almost 5, 3, and almost 2.) 

• Like 2

1.  How to make proper introductions.

2.  Latin.  Everyone tells me it's a waste of time, but I know better. ;)

3.  They work for pay as soon as they are able (pet sitting, babysitting, errands), and I expect them to purchase most of their incidentals from that pay.

4.  To cook full, nutritionally balanced meals from a very young age.

• Like 1

Milking a cow is easy. You just squeeze. Don't yank. She won;t like it.

How to install a fence:

Wait till its 500 degrees outside and the cows are starving. Let your dh come home from a full day's work so hes good and tired and grumpy. Lose the fencing pliers in a blackberry thicket....

Oh wait, that';s how NOT to install fencing.

You probably don't want to take lessons from us.

• Like 1

I make my kids carry their own belonging and sometimes a few things we all use to outings like the pond. I try to get the older two to carry their plastic, kid kayaks which are quite small and light using the buddy system. They can and have done this but when I'm meeting up with my friends, they always come help the kids and carry the stuff for them! Apparently, this is seen as some kind of child cruelty.

• Like 1

My ds will be 18 in less than a week and will probably be an engineer.   ;)

My son didn't like the child locks we put on the kitchen cabinets when he was two.  He found a screwdriver and took off the hinges on the other side.  Guess what he does for a living?  Yes, he's an engineer.

• Like 3

Yes, they do. "It's so expensive!" Um, both the college and the city have one free session a year. I've had lots of Scout parents tell me that they won't be insisting that THEIR speshul snowflake learn to swim. "He doesn't like the water on his face. It upsets him". Well, it might upset YOU to be scheduling your child's funeral. We'll work with each boy, but they WILL be passing the 1st Class swim requirement unless you have a letter from a physician with a valid medical excuse. And if you do that, your boy won't be able to participate in our annual canoe trip. 

Summer camp is so important with scouts who can't swim - my son's patrol just got back from summer camp and one of his friends couldn't pass the swimming test, so was designated a non-swimmer.  He worked ALL week during any free time he had and PASSED the basic swimming test to be designated a learning swimmer.  He's now confident that he WILL actually be able to learn well enough to pass the BSA swimming test for his first class rank!  All his buddies and all the parents were so proud of him when we were at parent's night!

My son is scout, so knives, camping, fire, etc. are all part of his repertoire, things we have him learn include juijitsu for self-defense, latin just because it is useful, money management (he's already saved enough to have his own portfolio, which he picks his own stocks for) and he's a little entrepreneur, so we've helped him start his own business - a space in a local used things store that he finds things to sell, prices them, keeps the space in order and keeps track of what sells and what hasn't and adjusts prices accordingly.

• Like 2

My oldest can cook a meal with water he got from a well on a sorry gas stove. My two oldest were expert rug beaters when vacuums weren't around.  They can substitute in recipes and make cookies anywhere in any kind of stove with any kind of measuring devices using any system. My older boys were razzing me last week when I was making the 7yo figure out how to get through the airport.  They can convert Kyrgyzstani som to Mexican pesos.  They can order all types of alcoholic drinks in Russian (thanks, Pimsleur).  They can get around Washington DC on the Metro on their own.  They can cook Georgian, Mexican, Thai, and Indian food. They can mow and edge lawns with a push mower or a scythe. They could walk 3 miles when they were 5. They can make tortillas and roast peppers.

I should have them do the laundry and the dishes but I've never bothered making them.

• Like 3

I didn't think I had one, but then I realized today that being able to make espresso drinks/steamed milk is probably not a skill that many 8 and 11 year olds possess.  It seems normal to me! The really only like the "steamer" drinks for themselves with no coffee, and they can't tamp the espresso hard enough to pull a really great shot yet, but I am looking forward to the day when I can sometime say, "Daughter, while I am teaching your brother math, could you pretty please go make me a nice latte?"  :laugh:

• Like 1

For school, Psychology is a compulsory subject for us. Another vote for Latin here too. 

Life skills? This thread is encouraging me to let the kids do more independently! It's not that I don't let them, it's that it has never occurred to me to let them butter their bread or other little things like that.

Having said that, our 4 year old uses a real knife to cut vegetables (only peppers, bok choy and peas/beans so far). She also puts her dresses on coat hangers and we're working on her putting her own washing away once we finish reorganizing closets this month. Once a baby is walking at a proper pace we no longer carry them or use a stroller except on very long trips, so the 14 month old is quickly getting to that point. The children, at 2 and 4, are also expected to clean the bedroom and lounge room by themselves every day, and the playroom almost by themselves once or twice a week. We teach some money management skills already, selling unneeded toys and earning money for unusual 'big' chores, and buying things with their own money. 

In the future, I want to see the kids able to prepare lunch themselves by 5 or 6, and definitely able to cook at least one basic meal by age 8 (I could cook spaghetti bolognaise at that age on nights my mum was busy) I want to let them be as free-range as our culture will let them (thankfully, my country and my town are a little less fearful. A child of 8 or 10 wandering to the shops in town would not be considered too alarming) 

I don't make my children learn much outside the three 'R's", chores, and basic economics. I am not surprised by what is considered strange but I still think we live in a strange culture where children aren't allowed to do useful things like cook, mow the lawn, or chop wood because it's dangerous. My 10 year old likes shopping on his own. I guess we do make them learn cross country skiing just because that is something we do for fun and exercise and though they don't all have to be fantastic shots they all need to know gun safety. Even if they never own a gun they need to know what is safe and that reminds me they need to learn how to drive for real. As in how to stop at crosswalks rather than run over pedestrians, how to treat bicyclist, that it is unacceptable and stupid to drive while using your phone, how to merge, and to use turn signals and round-abouts. Judging from driving around these are very strange things to teach a anyone.

So yes, I guess I will force my children to learn very uncommon things like how not to kill people.

• Like 2

I really like a lot of these answers. I wish I had gotten my babies walking for themselves more and longer when they were younger.

Teaching my babies/toddlers to read, although no one in real life seems to think that is crazy. They think it is really neat, or at least that is what they say to my face. Ha ha. Only some people on this forum seem to think it is "developmentally inappropriate." I think that is odd since it is easier for them to learn to read than talk and no one considers teaching a baby to talk, "developmentally inappropriate." You do kind of have to see that yourself to know it though, since it is very uncommon knowledge. Teaching my oldest to read was the best thing I could have done for his speech.

I'm with you. My DD hiked up her first mountain at age 2.

Many people seemed to think the 0.8 mile walk to the elementary school was too far for a  5 y/o and stopped to offer us rides.

I love how midwesterners talk about hiking up mountains. You simply must come visit us out here on the West Coast, though I'm not sure your two-year-old could get a permit to climb any of the mountains... I know it's just a difference in dialect but it's funny.

As for us... nothing. Most of the kids I know can row or paddle a boat, strike a match, have been in a climbing harness, can cook basic food (though nobody lets them around the stove alone until seven because small children are insane).

The walking accomplishments I find mildly depressing. How many kids cannot walk five miles at the age of five, who do not have a documented disability? All you have to do is keep walking!

That said I think changing a tire at 5 is stupid. When would that ever be necessary? Primarily because who is going to drive the car? Even if the five year old could drive the car, would you want him to? How is this going to be a situation in which he is not going to need to call 911 or be better off walking or making a sign for help?

Is an archery set for a 5-year-old's birthday count? I was looking at one of the ones with a suction cup at the tip, but DH didn't have to work too hard to switch me to ones with genuine tips.

She really wants one. I blame the movie Brave. You'd think after that movie they would have come out with a pink set.

I'm late to this party, but you can buy pink bows.

And no not crazy, both dds started archery at 5. Dd9 is a proficient shot with a heavy bow. It is not a toy. It is a weapon and is treated with the respect it's due. (And it's also pink) it is large enough and adjustable that it should last her the next many years Before the upgrade is needed

I love how midwesterners talk about hiking up mountains. You simply must come visit us out here on the West Coast, though I'm not sure your two-year-old could get a permit to climb any of the mountains... I know it's just a difference in dialect but it's funny.

Yep.  My little ones could walk up foothills, but I'd never take a little kid to climb a mountain.  Unless it's the Tequila Volcano and you can drive up most of the thing and walk the rest of the way.  

Yep.  My little ones could walk up foothills, but I'd never take a little kid to climb a mountain.  Unless it's the Tequila Volcano and you can drive up most of the thing and walk the rest of the way.  

Well, she did say "hike" not "climb".  There are many mountain hikes in Colorado that I would not describe as "foothills" (at least where we have visited in Rocky Mountain Nat'l park) that could successfully be hiked by children.  We have hiked in Colorado and while we did not have our youngest at the time hike very far (he was only 18 months or so at the time), our other kids ages 4+ were able to hike up the trails with few problems.

My son is scout, so knives, camping, fire, etc. are all part of his repertoire, things we have him learn include juijitsu for self-defense, latin just because it is useful, money management (he's already saved enough to have his own portfolio, which he picks his own stocks for) and he's a little entrepreneur, so we've helped him start his own business - a space in a local used things store that he finds things to sell, prices them, keeps the space in order and keeps track of what sells and what hasn't and adjusts prices accordingly.

I'd love to hear more about how you do this with your son.  I would love to do similar stuff.

It's funny how Lower 48er's talk about having mountains.

Sorry I couldn't resist. :) Just messing with ya.

I talk about hiking up mountains too.  I have never known any different though I have been West Coast all my life mostly in Alaska but sometimes down south in Washington or Colorado. I have even used climbing mountains when mostly it is hiking or maybe some boldering.  I have had few actually climbing/rappelling type experiences.

I'd love to hear more about how you do this with your son.  I would love to do similar stuff.

It started out with his old toys and things around the house we were going to get rid of - he asked if he could get a space at the "antique store" (junk shop) and we went to see what that involved.  You pay by the square foot and then 5% of all sales.  We signed up for month-to-month and gathered up everything he wanted to sell and brought it up and put it all into his space.  Within a day we were getting email notifications he was selling things!  Over the first month he made $200 after paying his rent and used that to look on Craigslist for more stuff and when we were on a road trip, we stopped in another "antique store" and he found a booth selling everything for $1.....so he bought a ton of stuff there and added it to his booth.  Now he checks online sites like CL, then local FB swap pages, local tag sales, etc. and buys things he thinks he can sell for more and/or fix and sell for more.  He's doing pretty well with it - we go up once a week for him to organize the booth and keep it clean, he takes his inventory list and checks off what was sold and checks to see if everything else is still there and brings up anything else he's gotten.  When he had put aside $1,000, he took half and we discussed stocks and investment growth and long term investing.  He picked 3 stocks and put $500 into a portfolio we set up for him.  He now checks that often to see how it's doing and has committed to putting another $500 into his portfolio when his savings again gets to $1,000 (we've advised him to keep $500 aside for "unforeseen" expenses with his booth) again.  His longer term goal is to buy a duplex house when he turns 18 so he can rent out one side and live there free!  LOL

• Like 1

DH is putting together a "city challenge" for our rural kids to master before they're old enough to leave home - they have to navigate the (safe) subway system (on a scavenger hunt, so they have to transfer lines AND modes), . . . he's putting in a few other things here . . . and they'll end up meeting us at a classy restaurant and doing the ordering / tipping / etc.

:) So kinda fun, but practical, too.

• Like 2