Menu

if you have a child with a health issue...please see if you can give me your opinion

ProudGrandma

I am in charge of our yearly Bible school at our church.  We have 2 youngsters who have diabetes.  

I need to create a menu of sorts for the children for their daily snack. (this is for only 5 days).

Regardless of these kids, I would only serve healthy snacks to begin with.  But because of these 2 kids, my tendency is to create snacks to fit within the 2 kids carb range.  By this, I feel like I am helping those 2 kids, who already feel different from everybody else, feel more like a normal kid and I don't feel like I am hurting the other kids at all. 

I have been told by a older person in our church that I shouldn't cater to these two kids and that they need to learn to understand that they can't have everything that everybody else can. 

So, my question to you is this:  if you are a mom of a child like this, what is the best way to approach this.  I am not sure what to do.

what are your thoughts on the matter???

• Like 1

I think you approached it just right. Picking snacks that fit these children is also beneficial for the others, who need more long lasting energy for their bodies, too. Most children have too much in the way of empty calories from starch and sugar, a lower carbohydrate snack is a boon for all involved.

To that woman's point, I'd tell her that they're going to struggle enough in life with finding things to nourish themselves while keeping their blood sugar under control and not plummeting, it's not my job to make their lives any harder, any earlier than I have to.

You're not damaging their ability to navigate food or cope with society by showing kindness and consideration in snack choice. Sheesh.

And as someone with a specialized diet, I thank you for your sweetness with them. We all figure out we are different from others pretty early on, and that just makes the moments of consideration all the more thoughtful and gracious.

I hope you allow me to comment, since I am not  a mom of a child with a health issue:

I find the other person's opinion highly irritating. It is not the job of your church to teach the kids that they "can't have anything". They will get that message frequently and loudly (and if anything, it is their parents' job to teach them.)

I applaud you for your intention to offer healthy snacks, and I do not see this as "catering" . It is a sensible and compassionate thing to do. Nobody has any disadvantage from it, all children benefit, and the children with diabetes benefit doubly. Win-win.

• Like 30

If you can make a list of snacks that is totally normal, that will be *well received* by the intended age-range, then I wouldn't even tell the snotty person.  But if you CAN'T make a list that is typical and appropriate for the age but might be less well-received for not being typical, I would give the typical food and include alternate cups already prepared for your children.  Or make equal numbers of cups of both offerings and let the kids choose each night.

So, for instance, I would not serve apple slices if candy is the norm in your church, kwim?  I would not serve bell pepper strips, because most kids would turn it down or question it.  

When my dd was that age she went to a VBS program that was the honestly HEAVIEST DISPENSERS OF CANDY I have ever seen in my LIFE.  Constant, prolific amounts, and every prize was candy!  There were diabetic kids and those parents brought in alternative candy that the teacher gave that child instead.  I did that with my dd, because well I just didn't want her eating THAT much sugar, mercy.  So I think choice is good.  I just wouldn't give little kids something they're not going to like, kwim?  If the kids will LIKE it and it's normal to them, it's not even a noticeable issue.

• Like 2

I am in charge of our yearly Bible school at our church.  We have 2 youngsters who have diabetes.  

I need to create a menu of sorts for the children for their daily snack. (this is for only 5 days).

Regardless of these kids, I would only serve healthy snacks to begin with.  But because of these 2 kids, my tendency is to create snacks to fit within the 2 kids carb range.  By this, I feel like I am helping those 2 kids, who already feel different from everybody else, feel more like a normal kid and I don't feel like I am hurting the other kids at all. 

I have been told by a older person in our church that I shouldn't cater to these two kids and that they need to learn to understand that they can't have everything that everybody else can. 

So, my question to you is this:  if you are a mom of a child like this, what is the best way to approach this.  I am not sure what to do.

I don't see any way that 5 snacks a year will jeopardize these kids' understanding of the bolded.

What you're doing is both a kindness to the children, and a convenience to the volunteers.  I think it's exactly the right thing.

• Like 3

I would comment more but honestly the above posters said it well. 

Good for you for making the 2 not feel out of place. My youngest has allergies and it is all I can do to make him feel as included as his big brother (no allergies). If I knew a church was doing this for my child it would make me and my family feel more welcome. Which trust me goes a long ways, we have been "kicked out" of 2 churches due to we were not welcome with a baby. 

• Like 4

I'd like to thank you for your thoughtfulness at making sure there is something for these children to eat. I have both gluten and dairy intolerances and we are keeping our kids off gluten for now as well. This means that most of the time, they can't eat much, if anything handed out at a social event.

I can only eat at a couple of restaurants, since all the rest "contaminate" everything and make me feel sick, even if they have a gluten-free menu. I went to a wedding once where the only part of the meal I could have was the paltry salad. (I have since learned to expect to not be able to eat anything at pretty much every social event I attend.)

My church offers gluten-free communion, which I have never seen anywhere else. Little things like that count a lot, especially in a culture where most socializing revolves around food.

• Like 2

I was Sunday School teacher at our last church.  I know that there was a child, potentially, in the class with an allergy.  So we had a more limited selection of snacks (Always one snack per Sunday) but the variety was smaller.  I don't even know who the child was and I think it worked out wonderfully.  But, the snacks were well received in my 4-year-old class (Graham crackers or those little fishes)   Only reason even I knew was because they kept an epi-pen in class and there was a sign in the cabinet.  

I think your plan is wonderful and caring.

We do not currently attend a church mostly because of attitudes like that woman.  My DS has a severe allergy to a food he cannot be around it.  Sadly we have run into many who refuse to "cater" to his needs and thus he cannot attend, and thus we do not attend.

Making children feel included is very loving and thoughtful.  Most children with dietary needs like diabetes and food allergies live most of their life being different.  It is very nice for them to find a place where they don't have to be the diabetes kid or the allergy kid.

• Like 4

I don't expect any organization to follow my son's complicated diet; however, when I did snack for VBS I worked with parents to find a snack that would work for every (other) child. If that wasn't possible, THEN you make alternate snacks. 

Some conditions (my son's) or opposing groups of conditions are too complicated for a single group snack, but we can always try. Any time someone feels different it's worth trying to include them. 

Frankly, diabetic is not even that hard (from my jaded special diet POV). I'm not sure why that woman was so strange about it. 

• Like 3

I think it is a wonderful, caring, Christlike thing to do, if you can for the 2 youngesters.  It isn't always possible, but if you can make it work so they can all have the same thing, that is great.

You might just want to check with their parents for each snack to make sure it is OK for THAT day.  I know some diabetics can have better/worse days and need to modify their diet/iinsulin a bit on those days.

• Like 1

Imho, stick to your plan! Come up with healthful snacks, give the mom's in question the schedule of snacks so they know what will be served and never, ever make comments like "we're having a snack that Jimmy and Suzy can have too."

I hate the notion that being kind is "catering".

• Like 4

Some places can't even be bothered. We go to this language class where there are 50 kids, a handful of whom have nut allergies. Every single year, the principal will let all the kids know that the special snacks are only for kids without allergies and giggle, yes, giggle sheepishly, at her own remark. Every year, there are kids who just look at others eat because every single snack has nuts. Why can't the teachers try just a little?

As a parent, I do not expect anyone to include DD in their snack choices, and most don't knowing that some will be left out, but it's still cruel to kids. Is it so cumbersome to extend some kindness to these kids? Do they not look at the kids who just look on while others eat?

For five days, I don't think it would blow any budget to have snacks that even the diabetic children can eat. My aunts love the diabetic cookies and they have geriatric diabetes.

Every single year, the principal will let all the kids know that the special snacks are only for kids without allergies and giggle, yes, giggle sheepishly, at her own remark.

When my kids were in public school, the school grounds is a nut free zone. It wasn't that hard to pack 180 days worth of nut free lunches and recesses.

My kids German school is nut free and so is location where their homeschool science and math classes are hosted. We eat anything that contain nuts when we are out of the school compound.

Older's ex-classmate has to carry her epi-pen everywhere. It is not hard to be compassionate and avoid PBJ and snacks with nuts when need be. We just bring fresh cut fruits, chips and dips that are not on shared manufacturing facility.

• Like 2

I would want to know how many carbs the 2 kids can have for a snack. They may not even needs "special" foods, just a regular serving size. Also if they are on insulin it would be nice for the mom to know ahead of time what snack will be served. If they are young kids mom could let them know how much insulin to take. If they are older they may be able to calculate it on there own.

• Like 4

I have one who can't have food dyes, another it's dairy.

I always ask what the snack will be so I can send along a "matching" snack for my child if needed- meaning, I don't want my kid to have a candy bar when everyone else has pretzels, for example.

When I am in charge of snacks, I do my best to make something that everyone can have, or if I can- a similar alternative.  I made gluten-free cookies for a boy on BabyBaby's robotics team and sent regular cookies for everyone else- he could be around regular, just couldn't eat them. He was thrilled to have his own plate of cookies, all to himself. If it's a life-threatenng allergy, I let the parents send a safe snack, and remind them that it's impossible to 100% control the environment, but we try our best.

My kids are thrilled when someone considers their needs for food, and don't get upset when they can't have a snack. But mine are older- 15 & 13.

• Like 2

I would want to know how many carbs the 2 kids can have for a snack. They may not even needs "special" foods, just a regular serving size. Also if they are on insulin it would be nice for the mom to know ahead of time what snack will be served. If they are young kids mom could let them know how much insulin to take. If they are older they may be able to calculate it on there own.

You bring up a very good point.  Most kids with diabetes have type 1, not type 2, though I think that is changing.  A type 1 diabetic can have any snack as long as they've planned for it with an insulin amount appropriate to it.  Have you talked to the kid's parents at all?  

• Like 6

I have two kids who are gluten free.  I do not expect people to cater snacks to their needs, but when it happens, I almost cry from the kindness shown to do so.  Thank you so much for taking these kids into consideration in a way that harms no one else and helps them to eat what everyone else is eating, which may not happen too often.  

• Like 4

A diabetic diet is healthy for everyone in that it emphasizes fresh vegetables, so I would go with that.  I do agree that every health issue cannot be accommodated reasonably, but one can't go wrong with veggies and dip and they aren't even an "accommodation", they're just normal everyday foods.

• Like 2

1. That cranky person should be informed that these children will be oh, so aware, so very very very aware, that the world does not cater to them, for a lifetime. That lesson can be taken as read. The lesson that they might genuinely need is that some people care and will go the extra mile for them sometimes, which will teach them to care for others with different disabilities.

2. But don't bother doing this unless you double and triple check with Mom to make sure your alternative is truly acceptable. My kids have had hard times before, either being sickened by something they were assured was safe, or offending the person by having no choice but to refuse it when they could see for themselves that it didn't fit their medically necessary diet. Either scenario is only avoided through good communication with the family.

Thank you so much for being that person. You are making a tremendous difference! Kindness is never wasted.

• Like 6

And as someone with a specialized diet, I thank you for your sweetness with them. We all figure out we are different from others pretty early on, and that just makes the moments of consideration all the more thoughtful and gracious.

Totally agree with this. My kids have food allergies and our church often plans snacks that can include them. It's so gracious and kind. And it teaches other kids in the church to have compassion on those who are different while seeking to include them. If it's possible, I say try to include everyone.

• Like 4

I think it's very kind and appropriate to try to have snacks that ALL of the children can eat. Kids who have different needs are different all the time; it would be nice for this to be a time when they don't have to be different.

I would discuss the snack choices with the parents ahead of time, though, just to be sure that you're all on the same page with regards to what's safe for those children.

And if say, candy or sugary snacks are the usual option for snacks at that church, then I would just have multiple options, such as cookies AND cucumber slices. Who knows what kids might go for? If you have two options, some kids will naturally choose only A, some will only choose B, some will choose both, and some won't eat anything anyway. The kids who can't eat option A won't likely stick out if they're only eating option B.

• Like 1

I am in charge of our yearly Bible school at our church. We have 2 youngsters who have diabetes.

Regardless of these kids, I would only serve healthy snacks to begin with. But because of these 2 kids, my tendency is to create snacks to fit within the 2 kids carb range. By this, I feel like I am helping those 2 kids, who already feel different from everybody else, feel more like a normal kid and I don't feel like I am hurting the other kids at all.

So, my question to you is this: if you are a mom of a child like this, what is the best way to approach this. I am not sure what to do.

I think you are being thoughtful and considerate and there should be more of this approach.

For five days, I don't think it would blow any budget to have snacks that even the diabetic children can eat. My aunts love the diabetic cookies and they have geriatric diabetes.

When my kids were in public school, the school grounds is a nut free zone. It wasn't that hard to pack 180 days worth of nut free lunches and recesses.

My kids German school is nut free and so is location where their homeschool science and math classes are hosted. We eat anything that contain nuts when we are out of the school compound.

Older's ex-classmate has to carry her epi-pen everywhere. It is not hard to be compassionate and avoid PBJ and snacks with nuts when need be. We just bring fresh cut fruits, chips and dips that are not on shared manufacturing facility.

I'm not trying to generalize, but the places I've found least compassionate towards allergy kids are usually at churches, including the language class sponsored by the church. I've visited enough to feel sort of upset/confused/disappointed by it, but again, I don't expect anyone to go out of their way for these kids, so when adults do try to include a kid like DD, I'm always very grateful.

Haven't read everything so this may have been said...but these two kids already know they can't have everything that everybody else can...its a daily occurrence for them...so you desire to add a little sunshine and not make them worry about that is a kindness that may not get extended to them all the time.  I say do your best with the snacks...don't kill yourself but know that it is appreciated.

• Like 1

wow...first off, THANK YOU so much for all of the responses....I honestly wasn't sure what kind of response I would get.  Each and everyone of you are hired to help with my Bible School this summer.  What are you doing the first week in June??? :)

secondly, let me mention that the mom's of the 2 kids referred to are actually on my Bible School "staff"...one is in the kitchen. So all of those concerns are covered.  And those are the only 2 kids we know of with any dietary needs.  

I couldn't agree more with all of you when you say that kindness and compassion should be expected in the church...and that is the way I will approach this lady, if I need to. Those kids will have to deal with this their entire life....why can't we make 1 week a little easier for them??

And...the types of snacks we are talking about are like 5 crackers and cheese and meat vs 7? Big deal?? NO WAY.  It's not a completely different snack...and nobody is going to starve because they got 2 less crackers...it's not a meal..it's a snack.   And we drink water. 

thanks again for your support.  I do, really appreciate it.

• Like 10

Haven't read all the replies, but I would talk to the parents of these children about the snacks to see what's ok. I've been in charge of snacks at our church's VBS the last three years. We have a type 1 diabetic child and a gluten-free child. In these cases, both parents felt more comfortable packing their child a snack to send with them each day. It worked out just fine.

• Like 1

Yes, this!!

One of my dds is a type one diabetic. All she (or I) would need to know is how many carbs are in the snack and then she could give herself the required insulin. Not a big deal at all.

Please do not serve 'diabetic' cookies or candy. Type one diabetics can eat regular food ( and the sugar-free stuff is usually not very good, imo).

You are being thoughtful and considerate of the 2 children - I'm sure their parents will appreciate your extra effort. :grouphug:

• Like 3

A diabetic diet is healthy for everyone in that it emphasizes fresh vegetables, so I would go with that.  I do agree that every health issue cannot be accommodated reasonably, but one can't go wrong with veggies and dip and they aren't even an "accommodation", they're just normal everyday foods.

While veggies and dip are healthy foods, in my experience as a teacher, most young kids with Type 1 who are in preschool or elementary school, are on an insulin regimen that assumes a snack with a certain number of carbs mid morning.  

Substituting a no carb, or very low carb snack for a kid who has already been given insulin on the assumption that they'll have a snack, can be very dangerous.  This is why it's so important to coordinate with parents, and not just make assumptions.  

• Like 4

Yes, this!!

One of my dds is a type one diabetic. All she (or I) would need to know is how many carbs are in the snack and then she could give herself the required insulin. Not a big deal at all.

Please do not serve 'diabetic' cookies or candy. Type one diabetics can eat regular food ( and the sugar-free stuff is usually not very good, imo).

You are being thoughtful and considerate of the 2 children - I'm sure their parents will appreciate your extra effort. :grouphug:

I also have a dd who is a type 1 diabetic. She is only 7 but is very well aware that she has limitations that other kids don't have. However, we also only need carb counts to eat whatever is served.

I also applaud your thoughtfulness, I know my dd loves it when she doesn't stand out from the group.

• Like 2

I haven't read all the responses. A couple of my dc have celiac. I would like to say thank you for trying to create an inclusive environment. These kids will encounter thousands of events where they are different. It's good that church will be a place will they get a chance to feel like everyone else. 

• Like 1

Have you talked to the moms? Will they be there to administer insulin?  Are they actually on a restricted diet or are you just assuming this?

My DD has Type 1 diabetes. Years ago the recommendations were for diabetic kids to eat perfectly proportioned low carb meals. With better, fast-acting insulins and insulin pumps, the dietary recommendations have shifted a LOT!  My DD can eat whatever the other kids are eating, within reason. I just need to know how many carbs are in the food she's eating, and I plug that into her pump and it delivers the right amount of insulin. It doesn't matter if she eats 5 crackers or 10 crackers. I just give her the appropriate insulin. Even on shots, we were able to do that.  Some kids might be on a little different (shall I say, old school) insulin regimen where their daily allotment of carbs needs to be more carefully planned out. However, I think most Type 1 diabetics these days are able to eat what they want and when they want it. (again, within reason)

Personally, I think the sugar and processed foods are just as bad for my Type 1 kiddo as they are for the rest of my kids. So we try to eat healthy in general. However, my attitude has been that if there are candy and treats, I'm going to let my kid be a kid rather than tell her she can't participate. I don't want her sneaking off to the closet to eat candy and leave me wondering why her blood sugar is crazy high two hours later. I'd rather tell her, "sure, you can eat that, I just need to give you insulin for it" even if it's not the healthiest treat. Remember, for Type 1 diabetes, sugar is NOT the problem. The fact that their bodies don't make insulin is the problem. So as long as they get the insulin, they're fine.  

Long story short-- while I think it's great that you're trying to prepare healthy meals, it should NOT just be for the Type 1 diabetics. If you want to include a  little treat, that should be fine. But, like I said, talk to the parents. It's likely that they are really good at going with the flow. Us diabetes moms usually know the carb counts of a whole list of foods off the top of our heads. And if not, there's books and websites that will tell you.

• Like 3

Just to add-- I really appreciate when people ask me what DD can have or can't have. I don't mind that. I wish sometimes people would ask instead of assuming she can't have something, or buying sugar-free treats just for her. (sugar-free stuff tends to just give kids diarrhea) But most people are usually relieved to find out she can have the same things the other kids are having. And it's my job to make sure she gets the insulin. We've gone to parties where I just let her eat what she wants while I make a running tally in my mind of the number of carbs she's eating and give her the insulin for it. Sometimes we goof up and her blood sugar is whacky, but we take care of it and move on. And yes, there are times I tell her she needs to wait to eat something, and she's good about that. But I feel like allowing her to eat what she wants has helped her develop a good relationship with food. She doesn't feel denied or left out.  She doesn't sneak food. And she doesn't resent her diabetes. 

• Like 5

Long story short-- while I think it's great that you're trying to prepare healthy meals, it should NOT just be for the Type 1 diabetics. 

But that was exactly what the OP said - that she was making a healthy snack that would be the same for everyone.

She has also said that the parent of one of the children is one of the people prepping food for this in the kitchen...

• Like 1

Years ago when I was a Girl Guide leader, I had a girl who was allergic to apples....   The mom was SO thrilled when I made sure that there was orange juice as well as apple juice at our investiture meeting.  (I also made sure that there was 1 orange juice put to the side in case it was more popular and was all gone before she got her turn to get her drink.... but otherwise she would just take her choice like everyone else.)   I also really had to watch at multi-group camps (apple juice is in almost all mixed juices...).   I know that her mom was so happy that I put in that tiny bit of effort to make sure there would always be something available for her to drink when the other girls had something - and that I did it in such a way that it didn't make her stand out.

• Like 2

Good for you!  I see no reason to feed children junk in this situation. If parents want to choose sweets and red dyes, sugar, juice etc, that's up to them. Children attending various programming should get a decent snack if a snack is provided. I would rather choose the time and place my children get cookies, frosting etc.  At preschool or other child venues, I would rather see cheese sticks, whole wheat crackers or ww pita, baby carrots, cucumber slices, cheese cubes, water etc.

I try to be forgiving about food, but honestly, stop feeding kids so much junk.

But that was exactly what the OP said - that she was making a healthy snack that would be the same for everyone.

She has also said that the parent of one of the children is one of the people prepping food for this in the kitchen...

And that was the reason for my questions-- are the kids actually on a restricted diet?  Are they only allowed so many carbs at a meal or snack?  Because that's not the norm these days. Maybe they are, but even then, I wouldn't necessarily restrict the carbs for the rest of the kids. I doubt that at home the entire family is liimted to the number of carbs that the Type 1 diabetic is allowed to eat.  It's one thing to say that you're not going have kool-aid and cupcakes and jelly beans for a snack. (I hate that even for my non-diabetic kids)  But it's totally different to plan healthy snacks but then limit how much they can eat based on what the Type 1 kids are allowed to eat.  The OP gave the example of 5 crackers vs 7 crackers-- is that actually what the parents said the kid can have? Or are you assuming that's the number of carbs they should be eating in a snack? 

• Like 1

years before we even had these issues with these two kids, I changed the snacks from cookies and kool-aid to healthy snacks and water.  The first year was the hardest as far as acceptance goes (but not so much with the kids...it was actually the adults THINKING they were standing up FOR the kids who complained)....but it hasn't been a problem since...once they figured out that the kids actually LIKED eating cheese, crackers and meat.....or bagel and cream cheese....go figure. 

So we really aren't changing anything...except like I said, just making sure there are just the right amount of carbs per serving.  (and that doesn't effect any other kid...they are still getting a perfectly great snack)

• Like 4

You were thoughtful and considerate.  You also make it easier on yourself by having to only plan 5 snacks, not 10 (5 for the diabetic kids and 5 for the others). 

That other woman... was a real piece of work.  Bless her heart. :glare:

I think what you're doing is awesome.  My oldest dd is type 1.  Shortly after she was diagnosed, I made the mistake of commenting about how all our meals at church tend to be carb heavy.  It was something I truly hadn't noticed before it was an issue for us.  The older lady's response was very similar to what you got.  DD needs to learn the world won't cater to her needs.  :(  I still get a little teary-eyed remembering it.  We were dealing with so much and that sentiment was just not helpful.  Bless you for taking the other kids into consideration.  :)

• Like 3

again, I am working with the parents of both of these kids....everybody is getting a perfectly acceptable snack.  It really isn't a big deal...but now all of a sudden I am feeling like I am doing something wrong here.

No, I don't mean to come across that way. My apologies. I think it's AWESOME that you're fixing healther snacks for the kids. If the lady who's complaining actually wants to be serving cupcakes and kool-aid then tell her to stick it in her ear. Kids don't need that crap, diabetic or not. I bet a lot of moms are grateful you're choosing healthier snacks.

My question was whether or not you were limiting the carbs in the healthy snacks for all the kids, based on what the T1 kids can eat.  If you're serving crackers and meat and cheese, it's possible the T1 kids can eat as much of that as they want, provided their moms give them the insulin for it.  That's the way most diabetics handle it these days. And if they are limited to a certain number of carbs at a snack-- well, I'm not totally sure I'd tell the other kids they could only have 5 crackers just because the T1 kids could only have 5 crackers.  

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

You were thoughtful and considerate.  You also make it easier on yourself by having to only plan 5 snacks, not 10 (5 for the diabetic kids and 5 for the others). 

That other woman... was a real piece of work.  Bless her heart. :glare:

Yes.  BLESS HER HEART.  (cold and black though it may be...)

• Like 2

I don't have experience with diabetes, but my ds has celiac disease, and any time someone goes out of their way to make sure he doesn't feel left out, it means THE WORLD to us both. Like, he gets so excited to be eating the same thing as everyone else.

• Like 1