Menu

"Rediciulous"

poppy

It's the opposite of bluediculous, right?

Actually when I first saw the thread I thought it said red-licious and it made me think it must be a new book in the Pinkalicious series. Maybe when Pinkalicious becomes a teen she changes her name to Redlicious?

• Like 5

((Furiously blushing here!))

This is one of those words I simply cannot spell without Spell Check telling me repeatedly that I'm wrong!  I have some sort of mental block.  I don't think I've ever spelled it right the first time!  I automatically want to spell it like you did in the Thread Title.  Every stinkin' time.  

Spell Check is my friend!

• Like 2

Spell check is my friend.  I can't spell very well, no matter how hard I try.  It is embarrassing for me, and that is one of the words I struggle with.  If I misspell a word it is not to be trendy, it is because I lack the spelling gene.  :blushing:

I used to frequent an amateur writers forum.  they had a motto.

spellcheck is NOT your friend.

it won't tell you if you used the wrong word - only if the word you *did* use was spelled wrong. 

e.g. homophones (just some of the more common ones)

two, to, too

effective, affective (this one is starting to really bug me at how often I see it used incorrectly)

its, it's

then, than

lead, led

read, red

loose, lose

their, there, they're

you're, your

etc.

those rants could go on for p.a.g.e.s. especially as everyone started throwing out their pet peeve words  (there are a lot of them.)

though my favorite misuse I still laugh at was descendent in place of ancestor.  (they're antonyms. eta. fun bit of trivia.  cleave is its own antonym.)

I also hate auto-correct . . . . especially when I spelled the word I wanted - and it changed it to something completely different.

to cause even more trouble, there are many correctly spelled words that are not in spell-checks "vocabulary" - and it will tell you you spelled it wrong.

there are a few words I always get wrong.  (i.e. bureau)  I look them up.  it's easy, just stick it in the search bar.  you don't even have to enter it, if it's anywhere close the correct spelling will pop up.

• Like 8

Why "rediculous"?

I thought it was a misspelling when I first started noticing that "new" spelling.  But I see it just about every day now.  So I am assuming it's a movie reference?

my first thought upon reading the title for the thread was:

what would we imagine if we were trying to get rid of a Bogart.

I'd have to think about that . . . .

(I don't *care* about capitalization.  curse spell-check.  doesn't it know I'm trying to imitate ee cummings? stomp!).

• Like 3

Similarly I see a lot of "woah" out there. I think people think it's really spelled that way.

At the risk of sounding completely stupid, I think of "woah" as a classic Keanu Reeves line from his Bill and Ted era. Is it spelled differently? What am I missing?

ETA: are we talking about woe? Isn't that a completely different word?

• Like 3

At the risk of sounding completely stupid, I think of "woah" as a classic Keanu Reeves line from his Bill and Ted era. Is it spelled differently? What am I missing?

whoa is correct.

this was my *favorite* explanation for the misspelling.

I believe the appearance (or resurgence) of this misspelling is due to the Internet and all the 12 year olds that get on here and know that there is a “a†and an “h†in there somewhere and are too lazy or ignorant to find the correct spelling and then they never grow out of it. 

• Like 2

whoa

What Jean said.

• Like 1

whoa is correct.

this was my *favorite* explanation for the misspelling.

I believe the appearance (or resurgence) of this misspelling is due to the Internet and all the 12 year olds that get on here and know that there is a “a†and an “h†in there somewhere and are too lazy or ignorant to find the correct spelling and then they never grow out of it. 

Well, I'm far from 12, and don't consider myself generally ignorant (lazy?  no comment!) but I guess I either never paid attention or was taught incorrectly, because I've always spelled it the other way for as long as I can remember.  Funny!

ETA: I tend to be a very visual learner, so if I saw it incorrectly at a formative time it probably stuck.  Embarrassing!  Kind of like when I found out Dumpster is supposed to be capitalized.

• Like 1

I see "defiantly" (autocorrect?) and "definately" a lot. One of the strangest misspellings I've seen is "dilemna," but it's not as common.

I think we had a thread once about "dilemna" with some of us remembering being taught it with an "n" and being surprised later to learn that was not the correct spelling. 

• Like 2