Menu

"Rediciulous"

poppy

It's up there with ''yea'' and ''ya'' for ''yeah''. 

I mentally correct this to the King James/Shakespeare "Yea." (long a) which usually makes sense in context but sounds totally REDICULOUS! (I know how to spell it but just wanted to use it.)

The writer in me says "Well, this is why I will always have a job. To generate content that is properly spelled."

• Like 1

Well, I'm far from 12, and don't consider myself generally ignorant (lazy?  no comment!) but I guess I either never paid attention or was taught incorrectly, because I've always spelled it the other way for as long as I can remember.  Funny!

ETA: I tend to be a very visual learner, so if I saw it incorrectly at a formative time it probably stuck.  Embarrassing!  Kind of like when I found out Dumpster is supposed to be capitalized.

We should capitalize Dumpster?

• Like 2

I used to frequent an amateur writers forum.  they had a motto.

spellcheck is NOT your friend.

No! Spellcheck is your friend! It's just not as good of a friend as your eyes and good editing and revision skills. Spellcheck should always be accompanied by your best friend Proofread it Yourself!  We can have more than one friend. 

• Like 4

It's up there with ''yea'' and ''ya'' for ''yeah''. 

Those are different words.

I don't pronounce any of those the same.

I do use "yay!" but I don't mean "yea" when I say, "yay!"

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,"

That is not "yay!"

Y'all are out of control with the spellchecking. I do what I want!

• Like 7

Spell check is my friend. I can't spell very well, no matter how hard I try. It is embarrassing for me, and that is one of the words I struggle with. If I misspell a word it is not to be trendy, it is because I lack the spelling gene. :blushing:

Actually it's probably because you have a better brain than the rest of us and about 10% larger to boot. ;) 1 in 5 people have dyslexic brains and the gifts that go with them.... Spelling skills aren't one of those gifts though. If more people realized what they were mocking they'd be ashamed of their arrogance. Just sayin'. (Oh, and it really IS genetic, dominant in fact.)

• Like 2

MultiQuote is not liking my iPad, but to clarify the Woah, Whoa issue. It is a difference in the sound and delivery of the expression.

Woah like Keanu Reeves in Bill and Ted's Most Excellent Adventure.

Whoa like Joey from Blossom.

It is all about where the emphasis is. This is actually how someone explained breath marks in Ancient Greek to me. The emphasis changes the whole sound and cultural meaning. Before that, I never thought about it.

• Like 3

So woah is a deliberate misspelling like rediculous.

I guess I should be rhaspodizing about the fluidity of language.... But I'm just rolling my eyes a bit. The irony of being clever by being dumb. Post millennial. Or should I say meleneal.

• Like 1

Just because it's a thing doesn't mean it's s proper noun and gets capitalized.

A PP did explain that it's a trademarked brandname and that is the reason Dumpster is capitalized.

It there is no alternative word, right? Hand me a tissue or hand me a Kleenex .

Put that trash in the big smelly metal outside box or put it in the dumpster.

For what it's worth, spellcheck made me capitalize Kleenex, but not Dumpster.

• Like 1

I agree with that.  I was looking a little bit after I wrote my post and dictionary.com said that dumpster was formerly trademarked.  I was also reading a grammar blog and her opinion was that dumpster doesn't need to be capitalized because it is so common and a former trademark.

I don't think it's an honest mistake- I see it more and more often - I think it is a trend. I could be crazy, though.

I've seen very good spellers write it like that -- they are obviously doing it on purpose, maybe to give emphasis to just how ridiculous something might be.  :-) 

Dictionary.com says this:

"Word Origin and History for ridiculous:

adj.
1540s, ridyculouse, from Latin ridiculosus "laughable," from ridiculus "that which excites laughter," from ridere "to laugh." Shakespeare and other 17c. writers sometimes spelled it rediculous. Slang extensions to "outrageous" (1839); "excellent" (1959, jazz slang). Related: Ridiculously ; ridiculousness."
From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ridiculous(scroll down for "Word Origin and History"

I remember when it wasn't just called a Dumpster, but was a Dempster Dumpster. My cousin from Delaware called them Dempsey Dumpsters, which is apparently a common incorrect term.

Oh! that brings back memories of people calling them "Dipsy Dumpsters".  Guess that was a little detour away from the original "Dempster".

B

So woah is a deliberate misspelling like rediculous.

I guess I should be rhaspodizing about the fluidity of language.... But I'm just rolling my eyes a bit. The irony of being clever by being dumb. Post millennial. Or should I say meleneal.

Woah isn't a deliberate misspelling it is different onomatopoeia, we should spell different sounds differently IMO.

It isn't like rediculous because I can only assume that is *supposed* to sound the same as ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Woah isn't a deliberate misspelling it is different onomatopoeia, we should spell different sounds differently IMO.

It isn't like rediculous because I can only assume that is *supposed* to sound the same as ridiculous.

Baloney.

I'm in Boston and everyone here drives a cah . But no way am I spelling it that way.

I say ant my husband says ahnt, both spelled aunt.

I guess the closest comparison would be love and lurve?

But lurve was a 5 minute but of slang while Keanu's whoa is old old old.

Whoa sounds the same to me anyway

• Like 1

Baloney.

I'm in Boston and everyone here drives a cah . But no way am I spelling it that way.

I say ant my husband says ahnt, both spelled aunt.

I guess the closest comparison would be love and lurve?

But lurve was a 5 minute but of slang while Keanu's whoa is old old old.

Whoa sounds the same to me anyway

Cah is not onomatopoeia, nor is ahnt.

I agree with that.  I was looking a little bit after I wrote my post and dictionary.com said that dumpster was formerly trademarked.  I was also reading a grammar blog and her opinion was that dumpster doesn't need to be capitalized because it is so common and a former trademark.

It might not need to be, but I got taken to school when I posted an image of a children's book on FB and asked why in the world Dumpster was capitalized.

I think in editorial circles it still has a capital D.

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure cutesy cake decorators are to blame for starting that one.

"ConGRADulations" with a little hat and diploma on the "GRAD."

I do believe you are right.

In another thread Ellie (I think it was Ellie) posted some dancing rodents -- Conga Rats -- which I find very helpful in remembering how to spell "congratulations".

I think people hear a long e sound at the beginning instead of a short i, so the misspelling has become common as people are generally weak in phonograms, let alone phoneme identification and correct pronunciation. I want to be surprised, but language is so sloppy these days. Drives me nuts and I'm not even particularly old!

A Dumpster is a skip.

L