Menu

Why do I feel so overwhelmed by meal planning??

Moxie

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family asks me all day long, every day, "What's for dinner?"

The only reason they ask is because they won't like my answer and they want more hours of the day to complain about it. Sigh. We're all picky and all about different things. Except for DH. He eats everything. Thank the Lord for that man.

I now refuse to tell anyone what's for dinner until I'm actually preparing it. Then the whining only lasts an hour or so and not from breakfast.

The only reason they ask is because they won't like my answer and they want more hours of the day to complain about it. Sigh. We're all picky and all about different things. Except for DH. He eats everything. Thank the Lord for that man.

I now refuse to tell anyone what's for dinner until I'm actually preparing it. Then the whining only lasts an hour or so and not from breakfast.

When my kids were younger, I would give them ridiculous answers (because, as you said, they ask only to have ammunition for further complaints). So, "What's for dinner?"

"Turtle burgers."

"Monkey mint soup."

"Purple pesto pasta."

And so on. Even now if I'm feeling frustrated I will answer this way. That's how they know to slink away quietly.

When my kids were younger, I would give them ridiculous answers (because, as you said, they ask only to have ammunition for further complaints). So, "What's for dinner?"

"Turtle burgers."

"Monkey mint soup."

"Purple pesto pasta."

And so on. Even now if I'm feeling frustrated I will answer this way. That's how they know to slink away quietly.

My favorite is whatever you're making for us. Shuts 'em up real quick.

You are much kinder than I am.  Anytime I am asked "What's for XXXX?", I respond "Food", "What kind of food?"  "The kind you eat."  "What kind that we eat?"  "You know people food.  I'm not feeding you dog food, or fish food or sawdust or mold.  I'm feeding you people food.  Eat and be happy."  Depending on how much they annoyed me, they or may not get a recipe name out of me.  Yes, sometimes they have gone to bed and still not known "what" they ate for supper.

And yes, I got so tired of the whining when the correct answer wasn't what they were hoping for so now there is never an actual answer.  The funny part that after 3-4 years of always hearing "we're having food"  they still feel the need to ask every single day.

I have a weekly rotating basic menu. For example:

Day 1 chicken

Day 2 beef

Day 3 pork

Day 4 meatless

Day 5 hamburger (yes hamburger gets its own day at our house. We like it and everybody eats it)

Day 6 soup/salad/sandwich

Day 7 is fend for yourself/leftovers/junk food

All I have to decide is what to do with the chicken or whatever. And it's not the same every week. If we have like stir fry two weeks in a row it could be beef and broccoli one week and chicken the next. Or if we want chilli it could go on hamburger day or soup day. And I don't have chicken every Monday because it's day 1. The meals are just listed on the frig or in my planner. This has really helped my meal planning. Less decisions to make.

I need to shop just once a week, because our schedule is so packed that I can't get to the store more often than that. But when making my grocery list, I would spend an annoying amount of time just staring at a blank page, trying to think of what I wanted to eat all week long. I needed to streamline my planning. This is what I do now:

* I sat down with my computer and made a list of all the meals that I regularly make for my family (hamburgers, chili, tacos, spaghetti, etc.). I was surprised to find that I had more than I expected.

* Next to each entrĂƒÂ©e I noted how often my family would be happy to eat it. For some things (pasta, for example), it might be every week or two. Other things might be every six or eight weeks.

* Each year I buy an inexpensive ($1 or $2) calendar that shows a month on each page with a square for each day.

* As I make my plan for week one, I just count down and add each entrĂƒÂ©e to a day in week that is two or six or eight weeks in the future (based on the list I made).  I refer to my master list as needed for ideas and keep filling in the squares, keeping my family's general schedule in mind (for example, some nights of the week we need a crockpot meal because we are walking in the door at 6:30 pm). When I have the first week figured out, I move on and add meals to the second week and simultaneously pencil them in for a slot in the future as well. In one fairly short planning session, I can fill out a meal plan for about three months.

* Each week I still sit down to make my grocery list, but I no longer have to come up with ideas of what to make, because they are already written on my little calendar. I feel free to shuffle things around (I write in pencil), and sometimes I change my mind, and that's fine. But my system keeps me from having to invent a menu of dinner options each and every week, which was my stumbling block.

My biggest issue with meal planning is that I can plan and shop all I want, but if I don't actually prep and prepare it ahead of time, it'll never happen. There are 2 men here all day long yet I walk through the door at 6pm only to be asked what's for dinner.  :glare:   My response is usually whatever you make.  If they wait for me to make it, they'll probably be going hungry!

Since it's still early in the month, I think I'm going to start making a list of everything we eat for lunch/dinner in January.  That should give me a good start for next month's planning, right?

"Turtle burgers."

"Monkey mint soup."

"Purple pesto pasta."

I am stealing that!!!

What keeps me sane is once-a-month cooking, though for me it's more like once-a-trimester cooking. I know many won't touch freezer meals, but we are OK with them and I have a full sized deep freezer which makes it possible. I make casseroles, taco meat/cheese portions, chili, soups, etc. Nothing fancy or gourmet, but many are family favorites. I do try to add a new recipe or two here and there. This past weekend I made quadruple recipes of 12 different meals, plus portioned a few preps for things like chef salad (shredded cheese, diced ham and turkey).

We don't eat them every day, but having 3-4 meals a week ready to go into the oven, rice cooker, or crockpot with just an extra (usually frozen, steam-in-bag) veggie and lettuce salad to prepare, makes meal planning so much easier to deal with.

ETA: "sides" in our dinners are a vegetable with butter and lettuce salad with store bought dressing and maybe cherry tomatoes if you are lucky and they were on sale this week. I don't have the brain power to come up with interesting side dishes. Those are saved for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter dinners. :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I used to love cooking but now I find the whole process of shopping and planning and preparing to be completely overwhelming.  Also the fact that dh can cook but is too lazy to and yet wants "something delicious" every night doesn't help.  

"Turtle burgers."

"Monkey mint soup."

"Purple pesto pasta."

When I am annoyed by pestering my go to answer was always gopher guts and worm brains.

Now that they earn their own money if they whine about dinner my answer is "whatever you are buying for everyone"

Picky eaters are my problem. Especially DH. He only likes about 3 things, but doesn't like to have the same thing all the time. And if I try a new recipe, he will automatically hate it. So he doesn't like anything new either. Add on top of that the fact that I'd like us to eat reasonably healthy dinners. Otherwise I'd probably just buy a bunch of Hot Pockets and frozen dinners and let them fend for themselves. 

Is there something like plantoeat that along with the grocery list will generate the list total/cost and each meal cost provided the cost of ingredients has been entered.

I think Build a Menu will do this. Originally, this system would give you weekly meals to choose from (from many categories...Gluten Free, Low Carb, Quick and Easy, etc.) and after you made your choices for the week and chose your grocery store, it would give you a food and cost list. They have just started allowing users to enter their own recipes. This might be something to look into.

I do theme nights.  Mondays are Mexican, Tuesdays are (gluten free) pasta, etc...  we have a seafood night, an asian night, a pizza night, a leftover night, and favorites on Sundays.  Then scour Pinterest or AllRecipes.com and find 4 meals for each category that everyone will like.  Just four.  You can always add more later.  The structure of theme nights makes it much easier to plan for the week.

Also, either make enough for everyone to eat leftovers for lunch the next day OR serve only 2 of the following 3: Soup, Salad, or Sandwiches for lunch.

I abhor meal planning. I have one hates everything unless it is pasta or sushi or a specific chicken dish. One who questions each ingredient. And a dh who is never in the mood for what I prepared and has a bowl of cereal.

There is no joy in it. One day, the children will leave for college and I may enjoy meal planning again.

A bowl of cereal!?!  Wow, you must be nicer than me.  I'd stop buying cereal until he could eat real food like an adult and not be such a bad example for the kids.

I have said this before.  A BIG part of the reason I was willing to move to India was the chance to give up on almost all of the family cooking.  But, I realized, that I still was the person who was planning, shopping and dictating the meals.  Every day I would be asked by our helper "cooking today?" And I used to feel pressure to say "xyz curry with xyz rice...."  However, at some point I would answer with "yes, please" and leave it to her to figure out...And for the most part it has worked out.  We don't always eat our favorite foods but I would much rather just eat something that has been made for me that invest any energy into figuring it out each and ever day.  I don't know what I will do when we move back to the US eventually...learn to cook I guess.

A bowl of cereal!?! Wow, you must be nicer than me. I'd stop buying cereal until he could eat real food like an adult and not be such a bad example for the kids.

He started this behavior when we were first married so I stopped trying to make meals he would enjoy and cook what I like and he is welcome to have some. A number of years ago he asked me why I never make meals around things he would want for dinner. I reminded him of our first year of marriage and told him he had no one to blame but himself.

As for the kids, I never wanted food to be a battle. They have to try what has been prepared and if they don't like it they can have a yogurt or cereal.

Believe me, there has been many a conversation about being thankful that someone has taken the time to prepare something for you.

Now that they are older, some nights I tell them to make dinner.

You are much kinder than I am.  Anytime I am asked "What's for XXXX?", I respond "Food", "What kind of food?"  "The kind you eat."  "What kind that we eat?"  "You know people food.  I'm not feeding you dog food, or fish food or sawdust or mold.  I'm feeding you people food.  Eat and be happy."  Depending on how much they annoyed me, they or may not get a recipe name out of me.  Yes, sometimes they have gone to bed and still not known "what" they ate for supper.

And yes, I got so tired of the whining when the correct answer wasn't what they were hoping for so now there is never an actual answer.  The funny part that after 3-4 years of always hearing "we're having food"  they still feel the need to ask every single day.

Apparently my family has phenomenally low standards. Half the time my kids don't even ask *what* is for dinner. They ask *if* we will eat dinner tonight. Uh, yes. I have cooked and served you a meal every night so far haven't I? 

I know the answer to this one ... Plan to Eat. It's simply fantastic.

Erica (or anyone else) that wants to friend me on plantoeat.com then I'm - aggieamy. We can share recipes. Yay.

Going to try to friend you on Plan to Eat. Anyone who wants to friend me, feel free. I'm dzingirl911. I've had an account for over a year, but I'm just really getting started using it now.

One thing I did which helped reduce the repeated questions and at least some of the whining was to post a menu at the beginning of the week. "What's for dinner?"... "Check the menu." Over time, the kids automatically started looking at it instead of pestering me with questions. It didn't solve the problem of pickiness, and my extremely fussy 12-year-old still complains, but not directly to me as much.

Picky eaters are my problem. Especially DH. He only likes about 3 things, but doesn't like to have the same thing all the time. And if I try a new recipe, he will automatically hate it. So he doesn't like anything new either. Add on top of that the fact that I'd like us to eat reasonably healthy dinners. Otherwise I'd probably just buy a bunch of Hot Pockets and frozen dinners and let them fend for themselves. 

This is my problem and so I always cook 2 meals- a healthy one for me and whatever for the picky people. I have decided this year to not even try anything new for them because I am tired of being stressed over it. They eat less than 10 meals and so I am going to make the same crap over and over for them and if they complain I will stop making dinner. This will make my life 100% easier because I can make 2 recipes for myself and eat those over a few days and make the same exact boring things for them. I don't even care if they never eat a vegetable. I am tired of the fight and tired of the stress of it all. 

I hate cooking with every fiber of my being. Ds and I are both picky eaters, we have a low food budget, and frankly we're just sick of most foods we can afford. He's willing to try more exotic dishes that I can't replicate at home and we can't afford (nor are their great exotic places) to eat out. 

We bought a bigger toaster oven before Christmas and since then my regular oven has been on once. 

I'm going to live on yogurt, almonds, cranberries, cheese, coffee, and wine once ds moves out. Oh and peanut butter. 

This is my problem and so I always cook 2 meals- a healthy one for me and whatever for the picky people. I have decided this year to not even try anything new for them because I am tired of being stressed over it. They eat less than 10 meals and so I am going to make the same crap over and over for them and if they complain I will stop making dinner. This will make my life 100% easier because I can make 2 recipes for myself and eat those over a few days and make the same exact boring things for them. I don't even care if they never eat a vegetable. I am tired of the fight and tired of the stress of it all. 

I am just about there. 

Going to try to friend you on Plan to Eat. Anyone who wants to friend me, feel free. I'm dzingirl91178. I've had an account for over a year, but I'm just really getting started using it now.

I think we're friends now!

I need to look into Plan to Eat. My struggle is that I already told myself no extra spending, but I think this might help with savings, less waste of food, and less trips to the market. Plus everything will be in one place, instead on Pinterest, printed on the counter, or in a file on the laptop/iPad.

I am one who struggles with what do we eat for meals. I had already done what I saw suggested here. I sat down and wrote down everything I have made recently that we enjoy (or some of us enjoy). I asked my husband for some ideas and that was slightly helpful... I think I came up with a round 20 meals so far.

I made a list of meals for this week (dinners only), including side dishes. Figured out ingredients, then I shopped. And the next day I realized some ingredients did not make the list so back to the store I went. Am having trouble finding one ingredient so the schedule has been bounced around a little, but that is ok. As long as I use what I bought and we have a meal each night, I will be satisfied. That alone will be an accomplishment for me.

He started this behavior when we were first married so I stopped trying to make meals he would enjoy and cook what I like and he is welcome to have some. A number of years ago he asked me why I never make meals around things he would want for dinner. I reminded him of our first year of marriage and told him he had no one to blame but himself.

As for the kids, I never wanted food to be a battle. They have to try what has been prepared and if they don't like it they can have a yogurt or cereal.

Believe me, there has been many a conversation about being thankful that someone has taken the time to prepare something for you.

Now that they are older, some nights I tell them to make dinner.

I understand. I had a huge thread here a few months back about my dh, who would call to find out what I was making, then go out to eat if he didn't feel like eating that.

MUST you meal plan?

I don't. I don't know what I will feel in the mood for, or what is going to be on sale, or what will smile at me in the grocery store.

I find it much easier to take it one or two days at a time.

Most things I cook are modular, so meat separate from the veggie separate from the starch. I don't like meat, DS does not eat veggies. Problem solved.

And anybody who does not like what is cooked can have a sandwich and an apple.

I don't really hate to cook, and DH and I like most things. But I have picky kids, and DH is doing low-carb, and as soon as lunch is done, someone is asking, "What's for dinner?" Sigh... It's become the most dreaded question of my day. I've had Plan to Eat for awhile, and it seems the only thing I've done is add a few recipes. I need to put it to work, I guess. I'll try to friend those here that use it and see if I can get going. We eat out way too much. 

Grocery shopping is something that I don't mind doing, if I can go alone or with just my older DD, which rarely happens. Any other configuration makes it less restful, lol. And then there's putting everything away when I get home. I think that's the worst part of shopping for me. Everyone will help if I ask, but they tend to just put things away willy-nilly, and I end up searching for things I know I bought but are now missing.

For me, I feel like dinners require three things to work well. Planning, shopping, and actual follow-through. I seem to be able to only juggle two of the three balls at once. Which two it is changes all the time, but it's rare that I can manage all three for very long. It really is a lot to take care of! I feel your pain.

Yes, it's tricky getting all aspects to work together. Then there's fitting into our schedule, which is usually but not always predictable. And matching sales. And things like pantry or freezer cooking (like I'm doing this month) to try and use up the things I stocked up on during the above mentioned sales.

I like to cook. I don't even mind shopping for ingredients. It's the planning part that frustrates me. One of these days I might have to break down and give Plan to Eat a try. Even with that I still have to Plan in order for us to Eat. And in order to plan... well, see above.

MUST you meal plan?

I don't. I don't know what I will feel in the mood for, or what is going to be on sale, or what will smile at me in the grocery store.

I find it much easier to take it one or two days at a time.

For me, I am hoping that by meal planning, it will help us eat healthier and lower what I spend at the market each week/month. When I am there every couple days, for groceries (not just to pick up more milk, bread or produce) I pick up other stuff or start browsing. Extra unplanned trips raises the chance of having either my husband or daughter with me, which then means extra stuff in the cart.

I understand. I had a huge thread here a few months back about my dh, who would call to find out what I was making, then go out to eat if he didn't feel like eating that.

If my dh called first and then went out to eat, well, that would have sent me over the crazy cliff. That is just plain rude.

I'm to the point where I hate cooking and everything pertaining to it, even though it would appear that I have a good system. We have the same thing every week. Spaghetti Monday, chicken Tuesday, Salisbury steak Wed., chicken Thurs., burgers Friday. Saturday is pizza night (carry out), and Sunday lunch is chili. I'm so sick of this, I usually skip dinner and snack later. I wish I could cook whatever I want. I'd love to plan-shop-cook that way. Sigh...

I'm to the point where I hate cooking and everything pertaining to it, even though it would appear that I have a good system. We have the same thing every week. Spaghetti Monday, chicken Tuesday, Salisbury steak Wed., chicken Thurs., burgers Friday. Saturday is pizza night (carry out), and Sunday lunch is chili. I'm so sick of this, I usually skip dinner and snack later. I wish I could cook whatever I want. I'd love to plan-shop-cook that way. Sigh...

Don't you have control over the planning and cooking? :grouphug:

I don't know what I will feel in the mood for,

Neither do those of us who meal plan.  We don't cook or eat based on what we're in a mood for.  We eat based on what we've planned and shopped for whether that plan was based on sales, based on foods most family members like,  based on what's in the pantry, fridge and freezer or a combination of these.

Neither do those of us who meal plan.  We don't cook or eat based on what we're in a mood for.  We eat based on what we've planned and shopped for whether that plan was based on sales, based on foods most family members like,  based on what's in the pantry, fridge and freezer or a combination of these.

But that is precisely my point - why should I be cooking and eating meal A because that is what the plan says, when I really crave and want to eat meal B?

Yes.  This.  Although sometimes it's the night I planned tacos and I don't want tacos so I make something I planned for a different night instead.  Planning meals is sort of like a restaurant menu- you have the ingredients for these meals, choose the one you most want tonight.

Meal planning is about keeping costs down and staying out of the stores as much as possible.  If that's your priority meal planning is for you.  If it isn't your priority and whatever whim strikes you is, then don't meal plan.  Of course no one has to.  No one said anyone else has to. I'm not a person whose decision making  is based on whims and impulses, so the idea of eating based on the plan isn't bothersome to me.  I think it's completely a non-issue. 

If eating only according to mood and cravings is how you think someone should eat, then why not cook based on what one kid craves at that time?  Or dad?  Or another kid? What if you crave large amounts of sugar or salt or carbs so that your diet moves into unhealthy territory? Meal planning for some people can be based on being health conscious so just having a craving isn't a good enough reason for them.  

It really sounds to me like meal planning is very contrary to your situation.  

Meal planning is about keeping costs down and staying out of the stores as much as possible.  If that's your priority meal planning is for you.  If it isn't your priority and whatever whim strikes you is, then don't meal plan.  Of course no one has to.  No one said anyone else has to. I'm not a person whose decision making  is based on whims and impulses, so the idea of eating based on the plan isn't bothersome to me.  I think it's completely a non-issue. 

If eating only according to mood and cravings is how you think someone should eat, then why not cook based on what one kid craves at that time?  Or dad?  Or another kid? What if you crave large amounts of sugar or salt or carbs so that your diet moves into unhealthy territory? Meal planning for some people can be based on being health conscious so just having a craving isn't a good enough reason for them.  

It really sounds to me like meal planning is very contrary to your situation. 

I do not know what I have done to warrant such an aggressive response. The OP was complaining about meal planning being overwhelming, so all I offered was the option NOT to meal plan.

I never suggested how "someone should eat". Nor is my "decision making based on whims and impulses".

I did, however, find that the store severely reduced a bunch of perfectly fine looking asparagus yesterday, so that is what I bought as a side vegetable (unplanned) because it looked yummy- healthy and not more expensive than had I planned for a more staple veggie.

When it turned so cold yesterday, DH and I felt like an (unplanned, but very healthy and cheap) vegan vegetable and bean soup instead of the (usual) sandwiches. Three uneaten (because it is hard to pre-plan my teen's fruit consumption) bananas were (unplanned) rescued in banana muffins - it simply felt appealing.

I have never said people who want to meal plan should not do so. The OP's original posting seemed to suggest to me that she can not muster enough enthusiasm - so I merely wanted to state that that is not the only way to eat frugally and healthfully.

But that is precisely my point - why should I be cooking and eating meal A because that is what the plan says, when I really crave and want to eat meal B?

I have about four or five meals worth of ingredients ready to go so if I don't feel like clam chowder on Monday I can make something else instead and the chowder some other night.  That said I only make things that sound good to me so I'm usually in the mood for whatever I have planned.  

Don't you have control over the planning and cooking? :grouphug:

I wish. This would be an area where I should communicate better with dh. He wants to eat a certain type and amount of food for weight loss/health reasons (preferences, not requirements) and I've done it for several years now. I could cook differently for the rest of us, but that means two meals, every meal. :( I should be supportive of this, but I'm really struggling with it right now.

I did, however, find that the store severely reduced a bunch of perfectly fine looking asparagus yesterday, so that is what I bought as a side vegetable (unplanned) because it looked yummy- healthy and not more expensive than had I planned for a more staple veggie.

When it turned so cold yesterday, DH and I felt like an (unplanned, but very healthy and cheap) vegan vegetable and bean soup instead of the (usual) sandwiches. Three uneaten (because it is hard to pre-plan my teen's fruit consumption) bananas were (unplanned) rescued in banana muffins - it simply felt appealing.

I plan meals but still have enough flexibility that I would have bought and cooked the asparagus too! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry that I didn't read the other posts yet, but I wanted to tell you something that has helped me.

I keep an inventory of my freezer (it's not always up to date though) so I generally know what meat I have on hand.

So on some very large index cards (think half sheet of paper) I write at the top "Chicken", "Beef", "Pork" or "Vegetarian" etc.

Under each category I write the names of meals/recipes we like under that category, where to find them (card or printout, book page, etc.)

So once I month I get out those cards, I look at what meat I have, and I make up my meals. I try to make it so I don't have all chicken or beef in one week, etc. I always plan a month at a time. Some people think that is overwhelming, but I find doing it every week to be more overwhelming. Having a whole month done gives me some flexibility to move things around or delay them. It also gives me time to watch for a sale if I am low on chicken or want to use a pork shoulder, etc.  

Anyway, since I started using my system, it has greatly reduced my stress in meal planning. Every time I try a new recipe and we like it, it gets added to a card.  

Just thought I'd share.