Menu

Why do the holidays make people act nuts?

Mergath

I don't get it.  I did my Christmas shopping for dd earlier this evening, and I stood in horror and watched while some woman screamed at two teenage employees for a solid ten minutes because Target didn't have any light-up Rapunzel nightgowns, and her five-year-old (who is not just ANY five-year-old, she screeched at them) wants one.  I've never even seen such a thing; I think the only light up dresses are those Frozen dresses that play Let it Go.  But apparently that doesn't matter, and Target is supposed to carry anything your Kindergartener could possibly dream up.  At one point, she pointed at one of the employees and said, "YOU!  Get on the phone RIGHT NOW and find a store that can get me one!!!"  I don't know if she was expecting one of the employees to hop in her car and drive to the next state to pick one up, or what.  And then she started screaming that her sister works at a Target, and she was going to give the names of the two employees to her, so there!!!  And NEVER in all her years of shopping has she dealt with something like this!! 

I pulled my cart up right next to Mrs. Psychopath and gave her a very pronounced stink-eye with eyebrow, which I think made the two girls feel better, at least.

Seriously, what is wrong with people?  Your child will live if they don't get each and everything on their Christmas list, I promise.  Even if they aren't just ANY five-year-old.  

:iagree:

OP, are you certain this wasn't some Candid Camera episode?  Or some weird part of a Seinfeld episode?

Goodness.   Get a life, lady.  Wow, just wow.

If it was, they didn't let me in on it. :P  I did wonder briefly if it was an episode of that one show- I think it's called What Would You Do? or something- and if the country as a whole was going to think I'm a huge wimp because I didn't put the crazy woman in her place.

What is a light up nightgown and why is it a must have? Wouldn't something like that keep the child awake at night. 

It's disturbing the woman was psycho. 

That's what I thought!  I really don't think they even exist.  Her kid probably saw the light up Frozen dress that's everywhere and decided she wants one, but a nightgown and with Rapunzel.  The poor employees were probably getting chewed out because they couldn't make one materialize out of thin air.

That lady is lucky she got you and not me as "fellow shopper". Stink eye be damned, I would scream at her and there'd probably be lots of curse words involved.

I'm not nice to assholes.

What I don't understand is why the holidays turn so many people into crazies.  It seems like every year there's a story in the news about people assaulting each other in the toy aisle the week before Christmas.  I've never seen anything that extreme, but I have seen people shove other people with their carts to get to whatever toy Jr. just has to have.  I don't understand it.  

I wonder if part of the problem is that too many people get into the whole "Santa only brings gifts to nice kids, not naughty kids" thing, and the parents are thinking, "Crap, if I don't get Billy this lego set he's going to think he's a horrible human being."  I don't know.  It's weird.  Even the year my dd wanted a Furby Boom and I had to drive to several stores to find one, I wouldn't have risked jail time over it.

Yeah, I don't get it either. But, for the most part, I generally don't "get" people as far as consumerism, "the American dream", etc.

Year round. Intellectually, I can understand the motivation, but each year I pull away more and more from an emotional standpoint, so can not relate. And especially not on the special snowflake children. Mine are spoiled, but they know who to ask, and it's not me. #dad #grandparents :P

#nonattachmentminimalistnewagehippy

I still remember the one and only year I went out the day after Christmas. The one gift oldest dd asked for didn't work Christmas morning (a leap pad). She was fine but I wanted to exchange it the next day. I arrived at Toy R Us at opening and was completely trampled by a man - who was rushing to get the discounted wrapping paper. :huh:  I still don't understand it. I mean, it was wrapping paper and I was just a woman casually walking inside to exchange a particular gift. I didn't even want your stinking paper, dude. Holidays definitely make people nutters and I try to avoid them at all costs now.

Was her daughter's name Violet, by chance?

I'm pretty sure Willie Wonka had it figured out. People are self centered and have ridiculously high expectations. Throw in the obligatory gift giving attached to the season and it's like the whole country is stuffed into a pressure cooker.

Such behavior is inexcusable; I just make an observation on the "why." I love the spiritual significance of the season, but I will be happy to remember, celebrate, then say hello to January.

I looked online out of curiosity and Target has a Rapunzel light up dress, no nightgowns. But it is out of stock online. The lady can drive to Va though because it is apparently stocked here in store :lol: . Just how dedicated is she really? :rolleyes:

I hate when I see people fussing at the employees of stores/fast food etc. when their issue has nothing to do with the employee! The cashier or stock boy can't help if light up dresses are sold out. I hardly doubt they are hiding them in back just for kicks. What a sad commentary on our society.

At a charity Christmas cookie sale to raise money for families in need, my disabled, weakened by cancer mother was knocked down, to the floor and stepped on mostly by middle aged and older ladies. Because. Cookies. Gotta buy the cookies. This was in 2006.

People are truly totally nutso this time of year!

Stress paired with poor diets and messed up expectations are my guesses for why. But that doesn't make screamed at store clerks or trampled cancer patients feel any better about it!

My husband worked 6 years of retail at a national upscale department store starting from age 20 to help with college. Aside from having a near case of Christmas music induced PTSD, he can tell all sorts of insane customer tales and almost all of them are tied to December.

I don't get it either.  I love Christmas.  We buy too many gifts, make too much food, and I plan special Christmas activities for almost every day in December and still, I've never lost my temper with a store clerk about anything. There's no point in getting worked up, it ruins the fun.  I really don't get it.

I looked online out of curiosity and Target has a Rapunzel light up dress, no nightgowns. But it is out of stock online. The lady can drive to Va though because it is apparently stocked here in store :lol: . Just how dedicated is she really? :rolleyes:

I hate when I see people fussing at the employees of stores/fast food etc. when their issue has nothing to do with the employee! The cashier or stock boy can't help if light up dresses are sold out. I hardly doubt they are hiding them in back just for kicks. What a sad commentary on our society.

It was definitely a nightgown that she wanted.  It happened in the pajama section of the girls' clothing area, and I heard her say nightgown a couple of times.

I would just buy the damn Frozen dress from the toy section and say, "Look, it's a nightgown and Rapunzel looks different because she found a new stylist."  Problem solved.  Of course, my daughter is getting a toy bow and arrow, Yugioh cards, and a robotic fish, among other equally nerdy gifts, so I may be out of the loop on this whole princess thing.

That is utter insanity. Why do people think they are so special they can treat others any way they want so long as they deem them of lesser importance?

I'd have probably stopped, dropped my jaw, and said in an incredulous voice "I cannot believe you just did that. You owe these employees an apology, and should be banned from the store for verbally abusing employees. Have you no decency or shame?"

Sometimes having a stranger stop and stand up is what it takes to wake up a person. I'd have a really hard time not inserting myself even if it was a bad idea.

Between the fluorescent lights and my photosensitive epilepsy and anxiety issues, I'm always a little out of it in big stores like Target.  I probably would have ended up stammering for a minute and then pointed at the woman and yelled, "Meanie head!  MEANIE HEAD!!!" :P  I'm hoping the look I gave her communicated what I thought of her. 

I was in a Target one time when someone just lit into a cashier about a sale item not being in stock. The cashier, at first, tried to explain that it wasn't a guaranteed in stock item and that the sale had been going on for 5 days now. That didn't matter.  The customer was livid and began demanding the cashier call every single Target to find the item and get it to her.  It wasn't near a holiday, so presumably just a person doing their best to be a garden variety jerk.

I had a small child and no wish to confront Ms. AngryPants, so I noted the nametag of the cashier and just called the store manager later that day to heap praise on the cashier and let the manager know if she got any complaints, it wasn't the cashier that was the problem.

Not as satisfying as a confrontation, but it seemed like the least bad option at the time.

It was definitely a nightgown that she wanted.  It happened in the pajama section of the girls' clothing area, and I heard her say nightgown a couple of times.

I would just buy the damn Frozen dress from the toy section and say, "Look, it's a nightgown and Rapunzel looks different because she found a new stylist."  Problem solved.  Of course, my daughter is getting a toy bow and arrow, Yugioh cards, and a robotic fish, among other equally nerdy gifts, so I may be out of the loop on this whole princess thing.

Myy daughter loves, loves, loves pink, princess-y things, sparkly things, and dresses up in her favorite tutu and sparkly shoes to climb and hang out in a tree....yeah.

Still, there's no point in flipping your lid if the item does not exist.  Or is sold out, too expensive, or whatever.

I'm totally in the princess(who wants to climb trees and play drums)loop and what you witnessed was nuts.

Former toy store employee here.

Christmas brings out the crazy like nothing else.

My family gets all worked up about planning for Black Friday and spends the day of thanksgiving planning their attack.

Me, I try to have all my Christmas shopping done pre-thanksgiving and shoot for one big store trip before the local schools let out for holidays. Then I avoid stores like.the.plague.

Lisa was a typical soccer mom, working part-time as a dental assistant and spending time with her sweet daughter Allie after school each day. She enjoyed her job; her boss was nice and she liked that she was able to be home every day when Allie arrived home from school. She had a solid marriage to her husband John and was generally happy.

One day Allie came home from school chattering happily about a new Disney movie, Frozen. She'd heard about it in school. Could Mom take her to see it on Saturday? Sure she could. Allie had been doing well and had been very helpful around the house. They went to the movie and they both enjoyed it. Lisa and Allie would both enjoy humming "Let It Go" while doing their work in the house or yard, sometimes singing the words in the shower. It was a great and catchy song. Sometimes Lisa would allow Allie to watch the Youtube video. Eventually she relented and allowed Allie to buy the soundtrack after Allie saved her allowance for several weeks to get it.

The house was filled more and more with the refrain "Let it go, let it go..." over and over again. Lisa began to tire of the song. She also noticed a change come over both Allie and John. When she asked them to do some task or assist with something, they would sing "let it go" in her face and simply not do it. John was becoming annoying and Allie was cultivating a bad attitude. It's as if the song had a strange hold over them.

Lisa tried to fight it. Her marriage was crumbling, her relationship with her daughter was in the trash. She was tied of being told to "let it go, let it go" over and over again. She was the only one on the house doing any cleaning or tasks and she couldn't keep up with the trash, dishes, and laundry John and Allie left all over the house. That song was some kind of curse, it seemed. The final straw was when the furnace broke and John told her "the cold never bothered me anyway."

Christmas was coming. Lisa wracked her brain to figure out if there was some way to pull everyone back together over the holiday. She decided she needed to replace Frozen with Rapunzel. At least that stupid "Let It Go" song wasn't in Rapunzel. If she could get her family to stop singing that to her face anytime she needed anything, it would be a huge improvement. She gathered her resolve and went to Target. She had heard about a Rapunzel night-gown that even lit up! Allie would be so excited and she would forget that crazy, soul-destroying song forever!!!

At first she started looking through the racks in a methodical fashion, but as she couldn't find the gown her hanger flipping became more and more frenetic. It had to be here, it just had to be! Wait...wait...was this it?! Was this the answer to her prayers and a way to salvage her family? She grabbed the cheap polyester gown made in China and clutched it to her chest. Suddenly it started playing stifled music. As the familiar refrain washed over her for the thousandth time, she felt her mind slipping. Some part of her started to realize it was over, her family was over. Barely holding back the screams, she asked the sales clerk about the Rapunzel gown. The clerk insisted it didn't exist. She tried to argue; she had to cling to this hope of somehow saving her family. She wasn't ready to accept reality. Perhaps if she could have had a few minutes alone in the dressing room she could have caught herself. But that's not what happened. 

Instead, as she was turning away, feeling like she was barely holding on while listening to the tinny sounds of the song that had ruined her life, the clerk casually said, "I think you should just let it go." A simple statement, really, and helpful advice. The clerk had no way of knowing what would happen next. Lisa simply broke, as torture victims forced to listen to the same song over and over will. She began yelling, screaming that there had to be a Rapunzel gown. Some homeschool-looking mom was giving her The Look, but she didn't care. She wanted, needed, them to call and see where she could buy this gown for the sake of her family's future. Surely one of the clerks could drive to the next state for the sake of a family, right?! I mean was the holidays, after all!!!

Epilogue

It was a rough Christmas for John and Allie, visiting Mom in the asylum. Everyone, including the doctors, agreed it was the song, the stupid song. And having that "Frozen" crap everywhere was making it worse. It was better she was locked away, which was really the only way to escape it anywhere in the U.S.

But in the end for Lisa, it was a good holiday. There was many other moms there, kind and good women who had been driven insane by the Frozen marketing machine. The had a wonderful Christmas dinner and afterwards, sung some carols followed by songs from The Little Mermaid. When they were released after the new year, the all exchanged a phone list and agreed to meet at the same time, same place next year.

Thus, a new holiday tradition was born!

I think Christmas brings out the competitiveness in people.

Competitiveness to get the perfect gift(s) at the best sale price.  So they can brag about it.  And if they can't brag about what a good deal they got, then they're okay with paying an outrageous amount, 'cause then they get to brag about how much they had to pay in order to get the best gift for their loved one.

Competitiveness, I tell ya.

I recently went to a Target looking for a specific toy.  I check online and it said it was in stock at the store.  When I couldn't find it on the shelf I explained to an employee that it was suppose to be in stock and asked if he could check in the back, a normal and reasonable request I think.  I did all this in a calm voice and was not irritated at all.  He took a really long time to get back and when he did his demeanor was very different.  It was if he was afraid to tell me that they didn't have the item in the back.  But he told me and I simply said, "ok thank you for checking. Have a good day" and started on my way.  His face changed entirely after hearing my response.  It was as if he was expecting me to go ape sh*t on him and blame him for the website being wrong and him not finding it.  

I feel sorry that they would think that behaving that way was normal and to be expected.  He obviously gets it enough, at least around this time, to be on guard.  It's really sad.  I can't understand why people treat each other so poorly.

Okay, this is TOTALLY OT, but this made me think of Pink.  She has a few little dress up princess dresses that she never, ever wears.  She doesn't pretend to be a princess - she puts on Pikachu and pretends to be Pikachu, or she pretends to be a cat or a dog.  Every time.  So a few weeks ago a friend who recently moved out of state was back for Thanksgiving and came over to play.  Friend dressed up as a princess and Pink fashioned herself a LEASH and was happily hopping around behind the princess as her pet (which changed every time they came out of her room). 

It. Was. Hysterical.  Pink and her friend couldn't have been happier.  :lol:  

Anyway, back on topic, that woman was crazy.  :P

Not that I agree at all with what the woman did, but I admit that I'm sometimes frustrated with Target and Walmart because these are pretty much the only places to buy stuff around here.  And because of that they are out of even regular stuff all the damn time.  So mega marts put everyone out of business and they have lousy service and you can't find stuff.  That's frustrating.  I would never yell about that, but I admit to being annoyed with these places sometimes.

Ugh, that is crazy.

I worked in retail a couple of years and experienced two Christmases.  it was horrible.  Near Christmas Eve people were screaming and mad about everything.  "You're out of Mr Coffees??  Well, get me any coffeemaker!"    Then the returns would start when the wrong coffeemaker had to come back, often with coffee grounds in it.

I'm fortunate that my kids were never into the "hot toy" of the moment when they were little.  I wouldn't have gone on a crazy quest for a certain gift anyway, but somehow they must have known that and they never asked.   But we never got really into movies or tv shows when they were little, so they didn't have the expectation that they should have Tickle Me Elmo which is a random name I chose because I recall it as a hot toy one year and knew people who were desperate to get them. 

Aside from retail, though, people who work with customers just have to learn to deal with crazies.  I worked as a customer service rep for a couple of companies that sold to other companies... and I would get chewed out for stuff out of my control all the time.  I came to realize that people had to get their anger out and the customer service rep is the one they can yell at.  There were times I had to go to the restroom to cry after I got off the phone.  Oh yeah, even some of the sales reps in my own company were like that.   Now I make an effort to be nice to CSRs. 

I think that there is a combination of:

- sense of entitlement to be able to get whatever you want when you want it

- relatively high amount of disposible income

- marketing and enough businesses that support and feed on the above two conditions

There are a lot more people shopping and additional pressures at Christmas, combined with lots of store sales and limited stock to add to the craziness. The perfect storm, year after year. 

For the record, I HATE that show.

They have the weirdest scenarios and applaud the people who make the biggest show or stink.

I am more of a "don't engage the crazy, be proactive and get a manager or security to deal with it." type.

One episode had kids running amuck at a restaurant and patrons who told the parents off were lauded at the heroes......um, no.....it is not my business to tell other people's kids off or tell parents off.  It might be my business to either walk out or talk to the management.

Another episode had two girls talking about pregnancy and abortion loudly at the next table.  People were supposed to get involved with the conversation.....NOPE, that is rude to interject yourself into a conversation like that, but they again hailed the patrons who got involved as heroes!

I could go on although I stopped watching it.

If it was, they didn't let me in on it. :p  I did wonder briefly if it was an episode of that one show- I think it's called What Would You Do? or something- and if the country as a whole was going to think I'm a huge wimp because I didn't put the crazy woman in her place.

That's what I thought!  I really don't think they even exist.  Her kid probably saw the light up Frozen dress that's everywhere and decided she wants one, but a nightgown and with Rapunzel.  The poor employees were probably getting chewed out because they couldn't make one materialize out of thin air.

The problem is that the workers who stock the shelves and ring up your order aren't the ones to blame.  if you have an issue with the store or the lack of stock, go up to the front customer service counter and air your complaints.

There is no way the seasonal workers in the back can magically make stuff appear.

Not that I agree at all with what the woman did, but I admit that I'm sometimes frustrated with Target and Walmart because these are pretty much the only places to buy stuff around here.  And because of that they are out of even regular stuff all the damn time.  So mega marts put everyone out of business and they have lousy service and you can't find stuff.  That's frustrating.  I would never yell about that, but I admit to being annoyed with these places sometimes.

And OP, in that situation, I would have called management or security.  I have done it before.

I didn't even think of that.  I guess I assumed that the two employees would have called one if they couldn't handle the crazy.

Next time I will be much more well prepared if I come across this type of thing again.

I didn't even think of that.  I guess I assumed that the two employees would have called one if they couldn't handle the crazy.

Next time I will be much more well prepared if I come across this type of thing again.

It's surprising that security or management weren't already involved.  I don't know how long the encounter was, of course, but in my experience when things start getting crazy, security is usually pretty quick to get on the scene.

Maybe there were so  many crazies in the store at that time, they couldn't handle them all.

I do try to avoid big-box stores this time of year.

A couple days ago at our local product market there was a loud dispute between a customer and some staff.  The staff said the woman did not pay for everything.  As it got louder one worker told another to call the police.  At that, the customer dropped her bag of poinsettias and kicked it! There were poinsettias all over the place.  Then she and her companions - one of them a little girl - walked out.  An employee followed, I guess to get her license number.   It was quite dramatic.  My daughter and a friend of hers were with me and they were wide-eyed at the scene.

Crazy.

It's surprising that security or management weren't already involved.  I don't know how long the encounter was, of course, but in my experience when things start getting crazy, security is usually pretty quick to get on the scene.

Maybe there were so  many crazies in the store at that time, they couldn't handle them all.

I do try to avoid big-box stores this time of year.

A couple days ago at our local product market there was a loud dispute between a customer and some staff.  The staff said the woman did not pay for everything.  As it got louder one worker told another to call the police.  At that, the customer dropped her bag of poinsettias and kicked it! There were poinsettias all over the place.  Then she and her companions - one of them a little girl - walked out.  An employee followed, I guess to get her license number.   It was quite dramatic.  My daughter and a friend of hers were with me and they were wide-eyed at the scene.

Crazy.

Wow.  That is so horrible.  

I wonder if with crazy pajama lady, perhaps one of the two employees was a manager?  

People acting out of context isn't restricted to holidays alone. I see it as a much deeper rooted problem where society has lost it's direction in the way of class, pride, and scruples.

Holding doors open for others, saying please and thank you, smiling to a stranger in passing (I can think of a gamut of others), isn't anywhere near as prevalent (today) as it once used to be, and in turn, the sliding of personal morals and standards has helped cultivate a popullas with no shame.

I refer to is as animalistic, where me, myself, and I, has taken front and centre.

Lisa was a typical soccer mom, working part-time as a dental assistant and spending time with her sweet daughter Allie after school each day. She enjoyed her job; her boss was nice and she liked that she was able to be home every day when Allie arrived home from school. She had a solid marriage to her husband John and was generally happy.

<snip>

Thus, a new holiday tradition was born!

Because I can only like this once, I just had to say you win the internet.  I read the original post (for context) and this story to my 14 year old daughter and she said, through her laughter, "That was amazing."  Yes.  You win.  The whole internet.

I think everyone should have to work retail at least one day around the holidays.  I think it might make people nicer to others in general.

I worked Kmart for about 5 years in high school and early college breaks.  So always at the holidays, and I worked the service desk and layaway so I was the one taking all the complaints, putting HUGE orders into layaway, and doing returns after Christmas.  The worst of both worlds.  This was over 20 years ago and things were awful back then, it's not a new problem.

This is dd's second Christmas working at Target.  I think it's made her a nicer, more understanding shopper.

It's not just Christmas. Last year I went to the bookstore, as I am wont to do. The store opens at 10, I was there at 9:55. Walked in, browsed, stopped by the cafe, and then I realized that hey - there was a book out I wanted to read! So I looked on the shelf, and seeing it wasn't there I decided to ask information if I could order it.

It's not later than 11am yet. The man at information is on the phone, patiently saying "I'm really sorry, but as I told you the book isn't out yet. It will be out in a week, and we will call you to pick up your order". His phone call continued at least 3 minutes as I stood there.

He hung up, and I said "I know for a fact the book I'm trying to order is out! So, I guess she really wants that, huh?"

"Yeah, that's the sixth time she's called since she ordered it."

"Six times that you've taken, or are you guys keeping a list?"

"No, she only ordered it this morning."

As I left, the phone was ringing again....

I think this was in March. Some people are just... well, very determined.

That is horrifying.

I don't know if it's Christmas or general craziness but I was at a beauty supply store a couple days ago and this couple and toddler were checking out ahead of me. He was going on and on about how she was spending all his damn money and he didn't get anything out of it. The cashier was trying really hard to lighten it up. Then e wife started to say something and he told her to shut her damn mouth and not to look at him. I seriously almost cried seeing how he treated her. I wouldn't have been surprised at all to see him smack her. :(

I think everyone should have to work retail at least one day around the holidays. I think it might make people nicer to others in general.

I worked Kmart for about 5 years in high school and early college breaks. So always at the holidays, and I worked the service desk and layaway so I was the one taking all the complaints, putting HUGE orders into layaway, and doing returns after Christmas. The worst of both worlds. This was over 20 years ago and things were awful back then, it's not a new problem.

This is dd's second Christmas working at Target. I think it's made her a nicer, more understanding shopper.

I agree! I worked at a tween girl clothing store in high school. I hope it made me a much better customer.

The problem is that the workers who stock the shelves and ring up your order aren't the ones to blame.  if you have an issue with the store or the lack of stock, go up to the front customer service counter and air your complaints.

There is no way the seasonal workers in the back can magically make stuff appear.

Absolutely.  I don't disagree.  I would never yell at some guy stocking the shelves or the cashier.  Unfortunately, there is often nobody else to even ask anything of.