Menu

Misheard lyrics

Hyacinth

12-yo ds was singing along to Have a Holly Jolly Christmas:

"Oh ho, the mistletoe hung where you can see;
Somebody waits for you. Gizzards! What's for me?"

:confused1:

He explained that back in the old days they must've served gizzards of some sort for the big holiday meal and the person who wrote the song didn't like gizzards, so he asked for something else. 

One of my favourites is the classic and timeless "I'm Sixty and I know it," by LMFAO. We sing that one in the car sometimes. :)

DS10 loves to sing Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" only he changes the "get lucky" to "da da da Mexican." Yes, if you listen closely to the autotune portion of the lyrics it does indeed sound a bit like that's what they are saying. :o

When my oldest was around 5 or 6 she loved to sing "Silent Night".  One day I actually listened to what she was saying.  "holy imbecile" (instead of Holy infant, so....) She was quickly informed of the mistake.  We still laugh over that.

Some of my more notorious mistakes:  "Dirty Deeds and the Thunder Chief" and "My Baby is a Centipede" 

My husband has made it his mission in life to purposely change song lyrics to funny versions and he's very good at it :) There are few songs I hear now that he hasn't twisted in some way. I had a roommate in college who had a talent for it too. The Bee Gee's 'More Than A Woman' became 'Bald Headed Women'....and that was just the tip of the iceberg. 

My sister was notorious for these as a kid. We had...

"We all sing Matilda" (Waltzing Matilda)

"Cheetahs never win" (followed by a sad look and "those poor cheetahs!")

And my personal favorite, a combination of Chantilly Lace, Frosty the Snowman, and the Hokey Pokey:

"Chantilly lace and a curly face

And two eyes made out of coal

A wiggle in her walk and a giggle in her talk

That's what it's all about!"

There are probably others. I'll add them later if I think of them.

When he was a preteen, my brother was was positive the line for Secret Agent Man was "secret Asian man".

Yeah.

That was another one of my sister's mistakes.

Oh, and my mother swears that when she was a teenager my grandmother thought CCR's "Bad Moon Rising" was about a "bathroom on the right."

To be fair, Morrissey was doing son/sun and heir/air on purpose..... he is a clever fellow.

I just today realized that in her new song, Taylor Swift is NOT talking about "my Starbucks lovers".  It's "long list of ex-lovers".  I kind of think the Starbuck lovers line works just as well. A clever turn on "star crossed lovers".

When he was a preteen, my brother was was positive the line for Secret Agent Man was "secret Asian man".

Yeah.

:lol: okay so one time someone said this (this was in the last couple years) and one of the other people in the room was like, 'Secret Asian man?  What in the world would one do with a secret Asian man?!' and people were cracking up with all these silly ideas and the whole time my mind was in the gutter because, you know, I'm a Korean Drama and Korean pop (kpop) fan and, if asked, the best looking celebrities I can think of are Korean.  So I'm like... secret Asian man?  Hmm... :lol: :lol:

Anyway...on the original topic...

From the old 'Grundy County Auction' song that John Michael Montgomery used to sing (ugh, country), a friend's sister (about 10ish?) thought he said, 'She's an 8, she's a 9, she's a one-eyed goat' instead of 'She's an 8, she's a 9, she's a 10 I know'.  

I'm sure there are more, but that one always stuck with me and was hilarious.

We got my little guy when he was about 4 or 5 belting out "We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New EAR!!!!"

My Mom used to have a mug I liked, an early Sandra Boynton, I think: Wee Fish Ewe a Mare Egrets Moose Panda Hippo Gnu Deer!

I was just reminded of my time in Florida. A friend and I went to one of the A league baseball games in Port Charlotte. Her then 3 year old was very joyfully singing 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame' and had a very creative twist on  the 'peanuts' part :)

Some of my more notorious mistakes: "Dirty Deeds and the Thunder Chief"

I was definitely way older then I should have been before I realized it was dirty deeds done dirt cheap. The song made much more sense once I realized what the lyrics say.

When my oldest was around 5 or 6 she loved to sing "Silent Night".  One day I actually listened to what she was saying.  "holy imbecile" (instead of Holy infant, so....) She was quickly informed of the mistake.  We still laugh over that.

When I was a toddler, I apparently had a huge crying fit when my mother wouldn't sing me the Spider Bite song at bedtime. Eventually they figured out it was Silent Night.

I also thought the three kings were from Orientar.

For many years, I thought Morrissey was saying, "I am the sun. I am the air..." on How Soon Is Now? I'm not sure what made me finally realize he was saying the son and the heir.

I think his use of homophones there was intentional.

What's really fun for a couple nerdy college students is to listen to Italian or German opera and make "misheard English lyrics" to it. Particularly effective during finals.

Ah! That reminds me of this one Japanese song called Shut Up and Explode, by Boom Boom Satellites (I think). The song is actually in English, but it's not always easy to tell what they are saying, so I saw a YouTube video one time dedicated to it - it was all 'let's see how high the puppy has gone' and crazy stuff....which really is what it sounds like lol. But I dont think its right...