Menu

What to choose in a fridge? We need a new one.

LifeLovePassion

How big? Our current one is 19.7 cu ft and too small. DH was thinking 22 cu ft would work because it had water in the door, so we gain that space from our pitcher not being needed too. 

What style? Side by Side, French Door, Regular bottom freezer/top fridge

Brand preference? 

Water dispenser? We use a britta pitcher now. 

I like the french door style with the freezer on the bottom.  Or, any fridge with the freezer on the bottom.

I also prefer an auto-ice maker but NOT an ice dispenser.   Every ice dispenser we've had on a fridge has broken.  Our current one has it and it's limping along... The ice melts and makes big chunks which gets stuck. I have to take the thing out and chisel the big chunks out of the dispenser every few days.   It's also *loud*.  I'd rather just open the freezer and reach in and grab some ice.  Way faster and quieter. 

Otherwise, I'm very happy with my current fridge:  Samsung French Door one.

I've been looking at (more like stalking) the Samsung French door, http://t.homedepot.com/p/Samsung-25-5-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-RF26HFENDSR/205564300?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-205564300&ci_sku=205564300&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969&gclid=Cj0KEQiA7tCjBRDulMny5rfM0dkBEiQA7fcshXtW5KUKr9N0Kqm86-UYs9hWHAFGoAGRvHqgyx_p0OEaAopI8P8HAQ

It looks like a great price, and I'm not sure if it'll get cheaper on BF or this is as low as it gets for such a huge fridge. Best Buy has the same one for the same price. I like that this doesn't have a water dispenser in the front - heard that it saves room on the inside. Is that correct?

Our kitchen is such that I cannot even have an automatic ice maker. It would require a contractor to run pipes to the fridge. Oh well.

We purchased a freezerless fridge from Sears a couple of years ago, for $400-$500 as I recall, and I *love* it.  It has SO much space.  We have another full sized freezer in another part of the kitchen/house.  When we remodel, the plan is to put them side by side in the kitchen.  Swoon. I don't fancy water coming out of the fridge door -- we easily use a Berkey water filter for water. 

Before purchasing a brand like Samsung or LG I would ensure there are technicians in your local area that can repair those brands.  We had a Samsung and live in a fairly large city and there was only one repair person that would work on our refrigerator when it stopped working.  I heard it is similar with LG.  

We like the side by side doors so the boys can easily reach what they need in the refrigerator.  In the future I would like a french door refrigerator.  Good luck!

I downsized from a 29cf SxS to a 23cf french door counter depth. (it was wide enough to fit my niche)  the freezer is on the bottom and is a drawer.

I really like it.  dh thinks it's too small. (seriously?  we've had three kids move out! and another small fridge in the garage becasue dh likes to buy large containers of things.)

the water holding tank is small - and it doesn't make a ton of ice at a time - which is good for us, as I don't want a ton of ice.

he bought this enormo brita dispenser that will fit a normal size fridge, but not the counter depth.  (I'd asked for a pitcher . . . . )

I don't know if samsung has changed this or not - but reading this crop up repeatedly in reviews kept me from buying the samsung . . . . it said if the power went out - even if it was just a "blink", you'd have to manually restart the fridge when power came back on.  every single time.  people reported huge loses of food becasue they weren't home to start things.

Separate question...how important is it that all the appliances match brand? We bought a dishwasher last year (maytag stainless). I'd for sure go with stainless, but how important is it that the fridge/stove//microwave all match that brand?

I would think that is personal prefrence only.  as long as the lines and finishes compliment each other - and some people don't even care about that.

We had a side by side and I hated it! So hard to organize food and see everything and large pizza boxes don't fit. The water/ice maker on the door never worked correctly and finally gave out altogether. We finally gave up and bought a cheep freezer on top with an ice maker but no dispensing. Next fridge I'd get a french door freezer on bottom with ice maker no door dispenser. I don't think all brands have to match.

How big? Our current one is 19.7 cu ft and too small. DH was thinking 22 cu ft would work because it had water in the door, so we gain that space from our pitcher not being needed too. 

What style? Side by Side, French Door, Regular bottom freezer/top fridge

Brand preference? 

Water dispenser? We use a britta pitcher now. 

Freezer on the bottom. I have no opinion about whether the fridge doors should be French doors or one single door, as long as the freezer is on the bottom.

We always use reverse osmosis water or other treated water, and you can't get that on a fridge, so water and ice on the door are not the least bit important to us. I don't mind filling ice trays, and we've never felt the need to drink iced water on a regular basis. :-)

If side by side, then it would need to be the largest one that would fit in your kitchen. And actually, the largest one that will fit in the space available, whether it's side-by-side or freezer-on-the-bottom.

I researched appliances to death a few months ago. I chose the largest french door (4 door) Samsung available. It is huge. My new kitchen isn't quite done yet, so it is still in its box in the garage . . . but that was my choice. I'd get the largest Samsung french door you can fit in your space.

I think this is quite personal.  We've had a side by side in the past with an ice maker.  I thought I'd like that, but the freezer in those things is very small in a standard size fridge.  So unless you get a super huge one, the ice maker takes up a lot of space.  Our fridge now is just a freezer on top fridge on bottom rather small fridge.  I sometimes wish it were a tad bigger.  I do have a chest freezer in the basement so that helps.  I wouldn't care for the French door type with freezer on bottom because I'd be afraid I'd struggle with reaching into the fridge (and I go in there a heck of a lot more than the freezer).  As it is now I have stand on a foot stool to reach into the back of the freezer. 

We just got my first-ever bottom-freezer fridge/freezer.  I love it!

I don't need to bend over to see what is in the fridge.  I can see what I have, so less goes bad just due to being out of sight and out of mind.  We are using leftovers much more efficiently and saving money because of this.  I can't believe what a different the configuration makes.

I like the freezer drawer, but it is noisy.

Ours is 25 cubic foot, I think. It's usually either crammed full or totally empty, LOL! (Seven people, and I only shop once a week.). We had a bottom freezer model for a while and didn't like it; we are happier with a traditional top freezer model. We love the fullsize deli drawer that stretches across the entire fridge. Glass shelves, not wires, are a must for me.

I was going to say, check your dimension FIRST and then double check.  We wanted one with water in the door (very important to DH) and we had our choice of ONE model that would fit in our opening and had water in the door.  I dont' love it but dh likes the water in the door so we go with it.

We replaced our 20-year-old side by side with a Samsung French door and have been very happy with it. We went from about 20 cubic feet to 28--what a difference! And it's nice to be able to fit a pizza box in the fridge. The freezer has a drawer in it and holds way more than a side-by-side. The water/ice dispenser in the door is the feature we use the most; that was important to us. We did not get the largest model available. We determined that they were a lot deeper than our old fridge and would impact wheelchair accessibility too much. I'm so glad we didn't go larger--we have all the food space we need. We've been very happy with it.

I wondering about noise?  We have a great room, and I want a fridge that is pretty much dead silent.  That means that I won't implement any kind of icemaking capability, no matter what.  But beyond that, what do I look for?  I'm assuming really good insulation, so that it doesn't cycle very much, would be helpful.

Just a small thing but my parents have the kind with french doors and the bottom freezer. The shelf/drawer on the bottom of the fridge pulls out. My mom hates that both doors have to be completely open to pull the bottom drawer thing out. She feels like she wastes electricity when using it, but it is impossible to get to the back of the shelf without pulling it out. She says she would never buy this particular model again because of that.

We had a side by side and I hated it! So hard to organize food and see everything and large pizza boxes don't fit. The water/ice maker on the door never worked correctly and finally gave out altogether. We finally gave up and bought a cheep freezer on top with an ice maker but no dispensing. Next fridge I'd get a french door freezer on bottom with ice maker no door dispenser. I don't think all brands have to match.

I have a side by side right now and hate it for the same reasons. I swear food gets lost in the twilight zone in this stupid thing; we never had so much trouble organizing food in the old one. 

One thing to keep in mind with a bigger fridge is you pay to run it all the time. So if you only use the extra size for special occasions it can be more efficient to have a small separate bar fridge that you only turn on when required. I also know people with two ovens instead of a large one for the same reason.

We have the Double doors -one wide and one narrow with the narrow one being the freezer section. The fridge is good. The freezer feels inefficient with space. Some of the plastic freezer fittings broke very quickly. The fridge has glass shelving so much more durable.

I seriously dislike the french door/bottom freezer we inherited with this house.  I like the bottom freezer, but the french doors are ANNOYING.  I have to physically shut them, not just swing the door and walk away, like I have been able to do with every fridge ever in my life.  i also have counter space right next to the fridge, and so it would be easier for me to get stuff out and put it on the counter without the door being in the way. 

I had a side-by-side and liked it a lot when I had an ISLAND behind me to put stuff down on...and a separate fridge/freezer (the "old" one) downstairs so I could store the turkey or buy a boatload of bacon when it was on sale.  We kept the white wine and beer and pop in that fridge except when we needed it for the turkey or party platters.  

Water and ice in the door take up space inside the fridge, and you have to keep buying special water filters.  I do like that about my current fridge; it did NOT have this feature.  

I loved the quietness, function and lighting inside my GE high-end counter-depth fridge.  The competitor was SubZero, but the GE had a higher rating for quietness and reliability and it cost less money.  I'll never buy a fridge that is other than counter-depth.  Too much stuff gets lost in the back.  

We have the Double doors -one wide and one narrow with the narrow one being the freezer section. The fridge is good. The freezer feels inefficient with space. Some of the plastic freezer fittings broke very quickly. The fridge has glass shelving so much more durable.

so you have a side-by-side?

Good grief, I have fridge envy now. I checked my fridge after reading this thread. It's 18.6 capacity TOTAL. No wonder it's always a puzzle to get things in. Home Depot has Samsung and Whirlpool french door fridges for less than $1000 right now.

I think I paid less than $300 for my fridge 20 years ago.

Separate question...how important is it that all the appliances match brand? We bought a dishwasher last year (maytag stainless). I'd for sure go with stainless, but how important is it that the fridge/stove//microwave all match that brand?

I just sold properties with stainless appliances and they were not all matched.  It had no negative effect whatsoever.  I bought what I liked that would fit the space, including and AWESOME Fisher-Paykel refrigerator in one place.  Some of the appliances I obtained in like-new condition from Craigslist sellers, including a fabulous stainless steel double-oven with five burners- for $400. (Retail about $1,100).

Got above asking and close to asking.  Worked fine. 

I seriously dislike the french door/bottom freezer we inherited with this house.  I like the bottom freezer, but the french doors are ANNOYING.  I have to physically shut them, not just swing the door and walk away, like I have been able to do with every fridge ever in my life.  i also have counter space right next to the fridge, and so it would be easier for me to get stuff out and put it on the counter without the door being in the way. 

I had a side-by-side and liked it a lot when I had an ISLAND behind me to put stuff down on...and a separate fridge/freezer (the "old" one) downstairs so I could store the turkey or buy a boatload of bacon when it was on sale.  We kept the white wine and beer and pop in that fridge except when we needed it for the turkey or party platters.  

Water and ice in the door take up space inside the fridge, and you have to keep buying special water filters.  I do like that about my current fridge; it did NOT have this feature.  

I loved the quietness, function and lighting inside my GE high-end counter-depth fridge.  The competitor was SubZero, but the GE had a higher rating for quietness and reliability and it cost less money.  I'll never buy a fridge that is other than counter-depth.  Too much stuff gets lost in the back.  

I agree.  I like the looks, but not the function of French Doors.  I hate bottom freezers, from a functional standpoint  They seem tiny, because of the space that rolling basket takes. 

I think I prefer the single door refigerator on top/ roomy bottom freezer or the side by side, with no ice/water in door. Counter-depth really opens up a kitchen! 

I will never own a water/ice in the door set up again, or even an icemaker. I had one leak once and it damaged the floor below.  I can get my own ice or water. 

We have experience with all three types. I think it depends on how heavily you use your freezer. I abhor a bottom freezer because I use my freezer more than the cool side. I have a 27cu side by side and love it. I would do side by side or a traditional freezer on top. Honestly, my ideal one would have commercial sized freezer and a regular refrigerator beside it LOL

Whatever you get, I would never get a side by side again because each side is too small to fit larger items in it.

Personally I am in the camp of top fridge and bottom freezer drawer. I like the compartments in the doors to be wide enough to hold gallon containers, like milk or several mason jars.

I've been looking at (more like stalking) the Samsung French door, http://t.homedepot.com/p/Samsung-25-5-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-RF26HFENDSR/205564300?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-205564300&ci_sku=205564300&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969&gclid=Cj0KEQiA7tCjBRDulMny5rfM0dkBEiQA7fcshXtW5KUKr9N0Kqm86-UYs9hWHAFGoAGRvHqgyx_p0OEaAopI8P8HAQ

It looks like a great price, and I'm not sure if it'll get cheaper on BF or this is as low as it gets for such a huge fridge. Best Buy has the same one for the same price. I like that this doesn't have a water dispenser in the front - heard that it saves room on the inside. Is that correct?

Our kitchen is such that I cannot even have an automatic ice maker. It would require a contractor to run pipes to the fridge. Oh well.

I have this refrigerator, and LOVE IT!  Seriously, my dream refrigerator.  We bought it for a house we were renting...and 8 months later, the owner had the house foreclosed on.  We had to rush to find another house, and the current house came with a side by side (loathe with a passion), and there is not enough space to switch the two out.  My dream refrigerator is in our garage, and is used as the "soda and left overs" fridge.  It mourns my soul.  It is perfect...

SOB

We went with a split-front Kitchenaid, with water (reverse osmosis filtration) and ice dispenser.

The only thing I am a little disappointed in, is the freezer is fairly narrow, so sometimes a little added ingenuity is required to fit everything in that I want to fit in, otherwise, we've been thrilled with our new purchase.

We went with a split-front Kitchenaid, with water (reverse osmosis filtration) and ice dispenser.

The only thing I am a little disappointed in, is the freezer is fairly narrow, so sometimes a little added ingenuity is required to fit everything in that I want to fit in, otherwise, we've been thrilled with our new purchase.

So, you bought a side-by-side?

It was so difficult to finally make a decision because all the fridges had mixed reviews. The sales are about to end; in fact, HD ended, Costco ended, and now only Best Buy and perhaps Sears have them on sale.

I went with Whirlpool's French Door from Best Buy, arriving next week. It was about the only one on sale for less than $1000.